HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Yuri Alexandrov has inked a contract with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL.

Old
08-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Morris Wanchuk

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Good riddance.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:07 PM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Good riddance.
what's with all you people with "good riddance"?!?!?

what? did he **** you moms or something? Any time some one leaves the Bruins, "good riddance". Chill people.

The Special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

im always disappointed when our draft picks dont end up returning value to us... but most dont.

this is a prime example though why they shouldnt be so overvalued like they are here on this prospect orientated forum. if a second rounder can be dealt for a vet that can help you for a playoff run, then you are guarnateed some help. contender teams can trade their picks/prospects away if it helps immediately

detroit and colorado and new jersey did it for years and years and have been the most successful teams of the past 20 years as a result. very few teams have won a cup without sacraficing at least a few top picks/prospects to do it

the key of course is to make smart trades... many prospects picks have been traded for crap too

alexandrov may be history now... if so... its sad. but whatever... he wasnt going to be a key part of this years team anyhow and my focus is on this year.

even soderberg may one day be part of the future... we can worry about that when and if it happens.

im prepared to let chiarelli move any pick/prospect he feels he should to try to get us our second cup in a row... and i love that he is managing the cap so damn good while he keeps us in the hunt.

bring on the season... this doesnt dampen my positive outlook that its going to be another great year to be a Bruin fan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post
what's with all you people with "good riddance"?!?!?

what? did he **** you moms or something? Any time some one leaves the Bruins, "good riddance". Chill people.
No, just some vindication for some of us who were labeled "racists" and "xenophobic" for being weary of drafting/signing Russians. It been a pretty funny few weeks between this and Bradley calling out Semin.

Old
08-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I wouldn't draft or invest too much into a Russian player unless he is a high end type player. Obviously fringe Russian players are better off in the KHL, more $$ and closer to home.
I agree with this. I would go CHL in the later rounds due to their skill as well as fighting abilities that take Americans and Euros longer to learn, not to mention they are Providence ready sooner.

Old
08-30-2011, 12:40 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I had hopes for Yury, he at the very least could have supplanted Kampfer in the depth chart had he worked hard enough, he had the skills to do it. So it does irk me that he's leaving, it just screams "I can't do it" to me and we wasted a draft pick on him...

That said, I don't want people to suddenly start ragging on Kohko, I think he'll be one of the rare russians that sticks around - he came here to learn the NA style at a young age, and he's got serious skills.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:46 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Isn't Cross an 8th year senior? How old is he? He's older than Frank the Tank IIRC...
haha. He's actually my age man, in fact he went to highschool with a friend of mine that goes to Umass now. Said he was a nice guy

they sometimes look old from their athletic growth and grizzled I play and train for hockey 24/7 look, but a lot of them are very much still kids

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:02 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

But it isn't riddance. We still control his rights, and apparently Chia had to sign off on Alexandrov going back to Russia. The consensus might just be, he came over too soon and needs to season a bit more in the K before trying NA hockey again. It's not like we were desperate for him for depth's sake in Providence anyway. let him go back to Russia, get paid better than he is here, play with better competition than the AHL (IMO at least) and be where he's comfortable, and when his contract expires, we find out where he is and whether he wants to try the whole North America thing again.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:35 PM
DaveFromNB

I'm disappointed he's not going to be in Providence another year, but it's not accurate IMO to think of the AHL as the only place a prospect can develop. As long as he continues to work on his English, I don't think he needs to be written off as a prospect. He should know better what is necessary to play in the NHL, and assuming he still wants to, he can perhaps develop quicker working with coaches he understands, in an environment he is more comfortable with.

DaveFromNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Exactly. Add in the fact that he gets better money in the K and it's a nice goodwill move from the team.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:48 PM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Good riddance.
u mad?

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Alan Ryan

Still no news from the Bruins about Alexandrov returning to Russia.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:02 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Lost My Avatar Bet

From what I saw of Alexandrov down in Providence last year, he needed a ton of development for him to ever make his way onto Boston's roster (or any NHL roster). I'm sure the language barrier had something to do with his lack of progress over the course of the season.

He made the best decision for himself, which no one can or should rank on him for doing, and I wish him the best of luck over in the KHL.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:18 PM
IceBergy

Providence Bruins games are going to be so DIFFERENT this year now! At least I assume......

IceBergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:34 AM
BleedBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Still no news from the Bruins about Alexandrov returning to Russia.
According to Sunday Globe hockey notes

Yuri Alexandrov, the 37th overall pick in the 2006 draft by Boston, will play for St. Petersburg of the KHL this season. The Bruins recently assigned the defenseman to St. Petersburg, and the process is expected to be finalized shortly. Alexandrov will have two years remaining on his entry-level NHL contract if he wishes to return Stateside. Last year, in his first season of North American hockey, Alexandrov had 6 goals and 13 assists in 66 games for Providence. This year, the farm club will be stocked with defensemen, such as Andrew Bodnarchuk, Matt Bartkowski, Colby Cohen, David Warsofsky, and Ryan Button. A crowded blue line could have affected Alexandrov’s development had he stayed in Providence. “We felt he would be better served developing over there,’’ said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “They’ve got a good team in St. Petersburg. I think he improved. He acclimated in his time in Providence. He stalled a bit at the end. We’re willing to have him develop over there.’’

BleedBruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:01 AM
misterjaggers

At least this gets Yuri out of grimy Cherepovets.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBruins View Post
According to Sunday Globe hockey notes

Yuri Alexandrov, the 37th overall pick in the 2006 draft by Boston, will play for St. Petersburg of the KHL this season. The Bruins recently assigned the defenseman to St. Petersburg, and the process is expected to be finalized shortly. Alexandrov will have two years remaining on his entry-level NHL contract if he wishes to return Stateside. Last year, in his first season of North American hockey, Alexandrov had 6 goals and 13 assists in 66 games for Providence. This year, the farm club will be stocked with defensemen, such as Andrew Bodnarchuk, Matt Bartkowski, Colby Cohen, David Warsofsky, and Ryan Button. A crowded blue line could have affected Alexandrov’s development had he stayed in Providence. “We felt he would be better served developing over there,’’ said Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli. “They’ve got a good team in St. Petersburg. I think he improved. He acclimated in his time in Providence. He stalled a bit at the end. We’re willing to have him develop over there.’’
Thanks for posting that. It does make sense, for Alexandrov and for the Bruins. I could see him staying if they didn't have such a logjam of prospects. The competition for time in Providence is going to be fierce.

And as misterjaggers points out, I'm sure Yury (and his wife) aren't complaining about his being assigned to St. Petersburg.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

They should tell him to take English classes as part of his development.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:20 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Not necessary, I doubt we see him back here.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Do you think he and his wife spent a year in Rhode Island and made no attempt to learn English?

It's a lot easier to learn when you're immersed in it, but I have a feeling Yury will keep working at it. He did before he came to the U.S., or else he's a very good actor, because I saw him listening to his coaches intently and at least attempting to converse with his teammates at development camp last year.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:28 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Do you think he and his wife spent a year in Rhode Island and made no attempt to learn English?

It's a lot easier to learn when you're immersed in it, but I have a feeling Yury will keep working at it. He did before he came to the U.S., or else he's a very good actor, because I saw him listening to his coaches intently and at least attempting to converse with his teammates at development camp last year.
Listening and understanding are two different things. He spoke almost no English before he got here and Cassidy has said it made it hard to explain things . Because he was with his wife I have a feeling he didn't pick up as much English as you might think. If he were just with his teammates or had an English speaking roommate he would have been force to speak English full time therefore learning it faster but he was with his wife which most likely means he spoke Russian at home which would have only stunted him learning the language.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Listening and understanding are two different things. He spoke almost no English before he got here and Cassidy has said it made it hard to explain things . Because he was with his wife I have a feeling he didn't pick up as much English as you might think. If he were just with his teammates or had an English speaking roommate he would have been force to speak English full time therefore learning it faster but he was with his wife which most likely means he spoke Russian at home which would have only stunted him learning the language.
That interview is from November. By May Yury had made some strides; someone posted an interview with him and Kudobin in which Yury spoke of learning English and Kudobin spoke of his own experience.

Bottom line, it's extremely difficult for a Russian speaker to learn English, and vice versa, considering that there's a different alphabet and that they do not share common roots (as English and French do). I know I couldn't do it, not in a few months' time anyway, and I give massive props to people who can.

Old
09-04-2011, 02:01 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Not necessary, I doubt we see him back here.
Agreed...It's not like Providence has the "Who's who" of top shelf defense prospects. Oh well.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
That interview is from November. By May Yury had made some strides; someone posted an interview with him and Kudobin in which Yury spoke of learning English and Kudobin spoke of his own experience.

Bottom line, it's extremely difficult for a Russian speaker to learn English, and vice versa, considering that there's a different alphabet and that they do not share common roots (as English and French do). I know I couldn't do it, not in a few months' time anyway, and I give massive props to people who can.
It's a lot easier for a person to learn a language when they are forced to speak only that language 24/7 which wasn't his case since he was with his wife. It's a lot harder for someone to go from Chinese to English then it is Russian to English and I've see people do that because they were basically forced to learn English to survive. If they were to have spoke English only half the time or less it would have taken them a lot longer to learn it.

Old
09-04-2011, 02:23 PM
misterjaggers

As Chia alluded to, Alexandrov ran out of gas towards the end of the season. So, I think the limiting factor with Yuri continues to be physical. He just isn't strong enough.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote