HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jets Pursuing Kyle Wellwood

Old
08-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
I still insist he was screwed in Vancouver, but he did look good with the Sharks last season. Winnipeg has a number of guys that can play center, but don't they only have a few NHL ready guys that play center full time? I know Little has played center, and something makes me think Fehr has as well, but Antropov is the only top 6 center, with guys like Maxwell, Hopzafel and Slater being the only other guys to play center ready for NHL duty. Burmistrov could pop in too, but Wellwood with decent linemates for a top 6 role would be an excellent back up. Either Ladd or Kane, with Little on the RW would be alot of fun to watch, as opposed to Glass and Bernier, he could end up being a bargain signing.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 08:50 PM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
If he wants an opportunity to sneak into a top-6 role every now and then, i don't see many better fits than Winnipeg for Wellwood.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
he was great on sharks third line with Pavelski and Eager last year, im really suprised noone has signed him yet
I'm not I saw him play lots with us he was soft and Lazy he does have some skill but never had the effort

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:45 PM
s1r0ky
Mr. Optimistic

The guy makes everyone around him better. SJ will be great if they sign him again.

s1r0ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I still insist he was screwed in Vancouver, but he did look good with the Sharks last season. Winnipeg has a number of guys that can play center, but don't they only have a few NHL ready guys that play center full time? I know Little has played center, and something makes me think Fehr has as well, but Antropov is the only top 6 center, with guys like Maxwell, Hopzafel and Slater being the only other guys to play center ready for NHL duty. Burmistrov could pop in too, but Wellwood with decent linemates for a top 6 role would be an excellent back up. Either Ladd or Kane, with Little on the RW would be alot of fun to watch, as opposed to Glass and Bernier, he could end up being a bargain signing.
Winnipeg is thin at center, particularly in the top 6. However, as this season starts and progresses, their young players could grow to fit into those roles quite nicely. Little will continue to play center, as he has proved he's capable of playing the position and having success there. Antropov is a natural center but will be back to playing RW. Burmistrov is expected to be the 2nd line center and should get even better this year. Then you have Stapleton and Slater for the bottom 6. Fehr will be on the wing.

I think if the Jets do sign Wellwood, they'd use him for a bottom 6 role, which personally I find him more suited for. He's not a checker or a grinder but he isn't cut out for the top 6 either. He has the talent but not the drive for a top 6 role. He's not a guy you expect to be one of your main offensive threats. I'd pick him over Stapleton for that 3rd line center spot though.

Seeing Wellwood play well last year on the wing in San Jose as a secondary scorer makes me believe he's best suited for the wing and that the ideal situation for him would be to stay in San Jose. However, if the Sharks don't want to keep him, Winnipeg wouldn't be a bad fit. He'd likely play 3rd line center there as he did in Vancouver.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:18 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I know I'm probably going to regret asking this, but how exactly do you think was he screwed in Vancouver?

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:44 AM
StalockSuperfan

Regarding the contract limit, 2 or 3 of those are sliding contracts that belong to guys still in the OHL and do not count against the 50 contract limit unless they play in the NHL this season, which they won't. So the Sharks could potentially add Wellwood along with another player and still be under the limit. Bad info from Strickland.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:51 AM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I know I'm probably going to regret asking this, but how exactly do you think was he screwed in Vancouver?
Let's face it, his skill set, regardless how developed in his time here, was better suited for an offensive role, a role he didn't the linemates for on what I called the "leftover line" with Glass and Bernier for large portions of the year. I realize he wasn't going to be replacing Kesler or Hank in the top two lines, and there were only so many wingers with any kind of talent for putting pucks in the net, but with those two, or at best a "already checked out Demitra", he didn't perform as I think he could have, nor do I think Vignault got him the thought of his preseason performance out of mind. San Jose gave him some better linemates, and while he wasn't a ppg player, he did look miles ahead of how he looked here.

And don't be afraid to question my logic or statements, the worst that will happen is that we'll disagree. Don't call me a ******** and I promise I'll do the same.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 02:59 AM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

His agent must be a man possessed, getting all these offers

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:01 AM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I'm not I saw him play lots with us he was soft and Lazy he does have some skill but never had the effort
Wha...? He might have been lazy in Toronto, but in San Jose, he played with all he had and made a line with Torrey Mitchell a legit scoring threat (Granted, Pavelski also helped that line). He was great in San Jose. The issue with poor Welly is that he's a small guy, he isn't suited for a checking line. At the same time, his skills make him a tweener.

I hope he lands a spot soon. He's good depth.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 03:11 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
he was invisible against the canucks in the playoffs.

Could be a decent depth guy I guess but he lacks the heart. Has the skill though.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
The weight and attitude issues have been overblown, in my opinion.
I agree. I remember seeing photos of him when he was injured and "out of shape". At the time my first thought was, "Holy Cow - this guy is still in better shape than 98% of his (Or anybody else's) age group."

I think he's proven on more than one occasion now that he belongs in the NHL and a team like the Jets would do well to sign him.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 01:06 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
he was invisible against the canucks in the playoffs.

Could be a decent depth guy I guess but he lacks the heart. Has the skill though.
I don't blame him too much for that. The whole team was invisible against Vancouver. Or injured.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:26 PM
JuniorNelson

Wellwood showed a great touch around the net when briefly deployed by Vignault in an offensive capacity on the wing, hence the "man possessed" quote. He said he has a different stick for shooting and demonstrated a quick, accurate shot.

Then, his role changed and he became a checking line puck hog center. He used a different stick for dangling and it is too short to shoot with. He still frequently gave gifts to linemates, who usually failed to finish, being checkers and grinders.

Another great thing about Wellwood is that his versatility comes from brains. He has been a set up man, a sniper and a checker on different teams.

I'd love to see him given a real good set of circumstances. I believe he would excel.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 06:58 AM
burgess1978

the issue with Wellwood can only be that he's asking for more than what teams are wiling to pay him. It's true that he had a great 2009 playoff and a very good season last year with San Jose. He is a good quality 3rd line centre, but chances are that like last year the gap between his asking price and the offers is too big ATM.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Bit of an overkill, don't you think?

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
the issue with Wellwood can only be that he's asking for more than what teams are wiling to pay him. It's true that he had a great 2009 playoff and a very good season last year with San Jose. He is a good quality 3rd line centre, but chances are that like last year the gap between his asking price and the offers is too big ATM.
Unlikely. There were reports a few weeks back that no team even contacted him. After what happened last season, this guy would probably jump at the first offer he got.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto4Now View Post
Unlikely. There were reports a few weeks back that no team even contacted him. After what happened last season, this guy would probably jump at the first offer he got.
If this is the case then he's probably going to wind up in Europe and have a couple of decent years there.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote