Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2011, 04:02 PM
thomast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Armia’s goal and two of his assists at the Summer Challenge were really strong individual efforts; he didn’t need much assistance from his line mates in those situations. His goal came after he skated through the neutral zone on the right side, deked a defenseman with a nice toe drag while moving to the central lane and shot the puck to the upper corner. Two of his assists came after he made fun of several opponents and passed the puck for an easy tap in. Every now and then there’s a moment when Armia looks almost like Mario Lemieux.

Some names maybe worth adding to the watch list:

Julius Nättinen (2015) – Has been a 1st line centre forward for JYP’s Jr.B team in some exhibition games.

Jesse Puljujärvi (2016) – Offensively gifted winger playing for Kärpät’s Jr.C team against an age group that’s two years above his own.

Joni Ikonen (2017) – A small forward who plays a lot like Juuso Ikonen, I assume that they are brothers. Plays for Blues against an age group that’s two years above his own.

Urho Vaakanainen (2017) – A big mobile defenseman with a pretty good understanding of the game. Plays for Jokipojat against an age group that’s two years above his own.

Armia is a better player than last season and will probably have a pretty good season, if he stays healthy. On the other hand we have to remember that some of the older players are still warming up after a summer of barbeque and beer drinking, so things might look slightly different by let’s say November.
Saw Joni Ikonen at tournament and he was standout player, very small like his brother like you say. too bad. Tormentor you should make new thread with updated list. There is no one updating this thread.

Last edited by thomast: 08-21-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old
08-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Armia is a better player than last season and will probably have a pretty good season, if he stays healthy. On the other hand we have to remember that some of the older players are still warming up after a summer of barbeque and beer drinking, so things might look slightly different by let’s say November.
Yeah I mean some guys might not play a 100%, but the teams have been practising for several weeks already and playing a bunch of practise games. I doubt there has been any drinking and barbequing during this time. And it might not make much of a difference, but it's still the team's main rival and it's never fun to lose even these small games when you are preparing for the season and trying to get the system to work with the guys on your team

Last edited by Juzmo: 08-21-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old
08-22-2011, 06:49 AM
ChadS

Comments/player comparison on Aleksi Mustonen? He was Finland U17's first line center in the two exhibition games against Russia this weekend. Chosen as the best player in the first game(2-6 loss) and had a goal+assist in the second(3-3 tie). I hope he has grown height during the last year, though I don't think the most recent national team lists are correct (172/67) since last season he was bigger in the B-SM listings.

Old
08-22-2011, 02:58 PM
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Comments/player comparison on Aleksi Mustonen? He was Finland U17's first line center in the two exhibition games against Russia this weekend. Chosen as the best player in the first game(2-6 loss) and had a goal+assist in the second(3-3 tie). I hope he has grown height during the last year, though I don't think the most recent national team lists are correct (172/67) since last season he was bigger in the B-SM listings.
Well he was listed at 170/64 at eliteprospects for like two years and Finhockey had him at 175/70 last year, and now at 172/67. Really would like to know how big he really is, as he seems to be pretty interesting prospect.

Quote:
Some names maybe worth adding to the watch list:

Julius Nättinen (2015) – Has been a 1st line centre forward for JYP’s Jr.B team in some exhibition games.

Jesse Puljujärvi (2016) – Offensively gifted winger playing for Kärpät’s Jr.C team against an age group that’s two years above his own.

Joni Ikonen (2017) – A small forward who plays a lot like Juuso Ikonen, I assume that they are brothers. Plays for Blues against an age group that’s two years above his own.

Urho Vaakanainen (2017) – A big mobile defenseman with a pretty good understanding of the game. Plays for Jokipojat against an age group that’s two years above his own.
Really looking forward to see how Nättinen does in B-SM next season. Unlike most Finnish prospects, he is a pretty big kid.

Old
08-25-2011, 03:10 AM
WhisperInTheWind

Graig Button seems to be impressed by Teräväinen at the Ivan Hlinka: "In addition to Yakupov, Button labeled Finnish forward Teuvo Teravianen as a potential sleeper in the 2012 draft.

The 5-10, 161-pound wing racked up 16 goals and 35 points through 11 games for his Jokerit U16 club in 2009-10. Last season, he produced five goals and 17 points in 11 games for Finland's Under-17 Team. He has compared his style of play to Patrick Kane and Datsyuk.

"Talk about a dynamic skater, Teravianen is a guy who can make things happen so quickly," Button said. "He's really smart and able to draw defenders to him and make really good plays. Right now, he's a little slight, but when you watch him on the ice, he's a real dynamic player. Right now, for me, he's a guy who is a first-round pick. By springtime, he could be mentioned among the top guys."

This bit was attached to a Nail Yakupov article in NHL.com. (don't know how to link)

Guess Button has a higher opinion on him than us finns.

Old
08-27-2011, 07:17 AM
Tormentor

The Hockey News has an article about Olli Määttä on their latest issue. (The one with Datsyuk on the cover).

A few quotes:
Quote:
“I went over to Germany to watch him at the under-18s and he stood out,” said London coach Dale Hunter. ”He was an underager playing a year up. He’s big and strong and he plays both ways, offense and defense. For a guy who was a year younger than the others there, he was outstanding; one of the best ‘D’ there.

And Maatta won’t be alone on the Knights blueline. Returning to the fold are two solid NHL prospects in Jarred Tinordi and Scott Harrington. “We’re going to be real solid back there,” Hunter said. “We’re going to have the Big Three and when you roll them out every other shift, good things will happen.”

Taken right before Russian Mikhail Grigorenko, who was snapped up by Patrick Roy’s Quebec Remparts, Maatta is quite happy with his new home in London. “I’ve heard everything good about that place,” he said. “It’s one of the best organizations in junior hockey and has one of the best coaching staffs.”

Along with his new major junior experience, Maatta will also get another crack at the world juniors. The Finns cratered after a great round robin in Buffalo, but the team has a solid core (Suomi has another rising prospect in 2012-eligible defenseman Ville Pokka) and their star underaged blueliner is ready for full-time action after seeing spot duty in 2011. “It was a good experience for me,” Maatta said. “Next year, I think I will play more."

The fact the young Finn is cool under pressure helps and with his pride in defensive play, opponents will have a tough time outsmarting the big backender. Maatta would like to work on his skating ability, but enemy forwards are already wary of what he brings to the table. “He’s a very good defender,” said Swedish 2012 prospect Filip Forsberg, who has faced Maatta several times internationally. “He’s mobile and a great puck carrier.”

Old
08-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperInTheWind View Post
Graig Button seems to be impressed by Teräväinen at the Ivan Hlinka: "In addition to Yakupov, Button labeled Finnish forward Teuvo Teravianen as a potential sleeper in the 2012 draft.

The 5-10, 161-pound wing racked up 16 goals and 35 points through 11 games for his Jokerit U16 club in 2009-10. Last season, he produced five goals and 17 points in 11 games for Finland's Under-17 Team. He has compared his style of play to Patrick Kane and Datsyuk.

"Talk about a dynamic skater, Teravianen is a guy who can make things happen so quickly," Button said. "He's really smart and able to draw defenders to him and make really good plays. Right now, he's a little slight, but when you watch him on the ice, he's a real dynamic player. Right now, for me, he's a guy who is a first-round pick. By springtime, he could be mentioned among the top guys."

This bit was attached to a Nail Yakupov article in NHL.com. (don't know how to link)

Guess Button has a higher opinion on him than us finns.
Teräväinen playing on the 3rd line today for Jokerit on the European Trophy against Brno. Stream should be available for everyone.

Old
08-28-2011, 08:20 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Teräväinen playing on the 3rd line today for Jokerit on the European Trophy against Brno. Stream should be available for everyone.
post it, please.

Old
08-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
post it, please.
Check the European Trophy thread at jatkoaika, don't have time to post it now.

Old
08-28-2011, 08:52 AM
ElHefe

Quote:
He will be playing with Petr Kalus and Riku Hahl in the third line. Im really looking forward to see the game with high-quality stream.

Link to the stream: http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/7...ch-ct4-tv.html

Old
08-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
He will be playing with Petr Kalus and Riku Hahl in the third line. Im really looking forward to see the game with high-quality stream.

Link to the stream: http://www.firstrowsports.eu/watch/7...ch-ct4-tv.html
Kalus with a minor injury, Jani Rita takes his place.

Old
08-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Teuvo just scored the Clowns' 2nd goal.

Old
08-28-2011, 02:19 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
Teuvo just scored the Clowns' 2nd goal.
anywhere where i could find highlights? Im so hoping Teräväinen makes the mens team full time

Old
08-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Tormentor

I uploaded Teräväinen's goal to YT:

Old
08-28-2011, 02:48 PM
YARR123

Quote:
I uploaded Teräväinen's goal to YT:

Great finish! What is your opinion on Teräväinen? He's obviously he's improved alot during the summer, does he have a chance at getting a roster spot? Or will he get a chance only if there are injuries

Old
08-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Great finish! What is your opinion on Teräväinen? He's obviously he's improved alot during the summer, does he have a chance at getting a roster spot? Or will he get a chance only if there are injuries
I would say he'll play mostly A-juniors but will get a call up when the eventual flu season starts hitting teams or other injuries. Tomek Valtonen seems to have done wonders for the physiques of many Jokerit juniors, Teräväinen can benefit form that.

Old
08-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Hard for me to say much about Jokerit, but they seem to have a pretty strong roster for next season. In some other team Teräväinen would probably have a better chance of becoming a regular. Teräväinen-Hahl-Rita seemed to work fairly well tonight, with more time together this line could be good. Let’s see what happens, there’s always a chance that he’ll be a top-6 forward for Jokerit at the end of the season. Sometimes these youngsters develop and adapt so quickly.

In my opinion Teräväinen's skating strength&quickness has improved greatly from last season. The puck skills have always been there, but now he's much more dangerous. Great puck handling and playmaking in full speed combined with an ability to change direction quickly. He would be a certain 1st rounder if he’d be a bit taller and more developed physically. He’s probably one of the most skilled players in the whole draft.

Old
08-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Fat Doctor

Well this is interesting, Jokerit didnt sign Petr Kalus (who was on tryout) so I guess Teräväinen might have a shot already this season. Kalus and Teräväinen both played in the third line with Hahl and Rita, Kalus hit hard and agitated very well, but Teräväinen brought better passing game. I would have kept Kalus, but I guess Kekäläinen has something else planned (= JARKKO RUUTU).

Old
08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Doctor View Post
Well this is interesting, Jokerit didnt sign Petr Kalus (who was on tryout) so I guess Teräväinen might have a shot already this season. Kalus and Teräväinen both played in the third line with Hahl and Rita, Kalus hit hard and agitated very well, but Teräväinen brought better passing game. I would have kept Kalus, but I guess Kekäläinen has something else planned (= JARKKO RUUTU).
Oh god no.

I really hope Teräväinen takes that place. Skill-wise he's definitely ready to play in the FEL, but can he handle playing 50+ games against players who are twice as big as him?

Old
08-30-2011, 11:05 AM
bebl

Ristolainen might start the season in sm-liiga cause TPS didn't continue Mikko Viitanen contract and Miika Huczkowski is injured. TPS announced that they gonna give responsibility to juniors.

Old
08-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Fat Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Oh god no.

I really hope Teräväinen takes that place. Skill-wise he's definitely ready to play in the FEL, but can he handle playing 50+ games against players who are twice as big as him?
Well if someone tries to hurt Teuvo, theres 200 kilograms of linemates protecting him. I think the line with Hahl and Rita is ideal for a junior; a hard working and skilled center + super human sniper.

But actually Teräväinen played quite physically in the game against Brno, Tomek Valtonen has done some great job for Jokerit's juniors.

About Ruutu; I think he is coming to Jokerit and the contract (2+2 years) will be announced later this week.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Doctor View Post
Well if someone tries to hurt Teuvo, theres 200 kilograms of linemates protecting him. I think the line with Hahl and Rita is ideal for a junior; a hard working and skilled center + super human sniper.

But actually Teräväinen played quite physically in the game against Brno, Tomek Valtonen has done some great job for Jokerit's juniors.

About Ruutu; I think he is coming to Jokerit and the contract (2+2 years) will be announced later this week.
From what I've seen Teräväinen plays a pretty gritty game, forechecks hard. In the goal he scored he almost stripped the puck off from a defender just a few seconds before. Also there was one time in Hlinka against russia, where a pretty decent sized russian was blazing fast with the puck, and I thought to myself, oh boy. Then comes Teräväinen who takes the guy with the body like a 6'3 200 defenseman should, totally flattening the guy. That was also a time he scored few moments later. Seems to be a quite well rounded player (from my very limited viewings) despite his lack of size. He looks like a strong skater and surpising strength for his small frame

Old
08-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
How is Topi Nättinen supposed to stand up to this year's draft?

Old
09-02-2011, 03:08 PM
thomast

I'm pretty optimistic about Teräväinen's chances at men's club. His work ethic is good, he works hard and his vision is amazing. His only knock is his size, but suiting him with 2 2-way players with size could work.

Old
09-02-2011, 03:18 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
I'm pretty optimistic about Teräväinen's chances at men's club. His work ethic is good, he works hard and his vision is amazing. His only knock is his size, but suiting him with 2 2-way players with size could work.
My guess is, if Jokerit don't get the winger they're looking for before the start of the season, Teräväinen will start on the 3rd line. He's playing in that role again tomorrow. If they do get a winger, then Hardt will likely move down from the 1st line to the 3rd and thus take Teuvo's place.

Teräväinen will get a handfull of games this season with Jokerit, at least when the injuries start to add up.

Closed Thread