HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-30-2011, 06:52 AM
cleangene

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post
Hey guys nucks fan here,

Just giving out some info though you guys might like, Im by no means a reliable source but I have known shea personally since before he played for the rockets, had him and his girlfriend bailey over for dinner the other night:

Long story short - Shea has been training most every day this off season in kelowna, took a month off after the playoffs to rest and then has been working out with some of his old freinds (comeau, gorges ect). said he will be coming down to nashville within a week early to get ready for the year

He was very surprised at how much the fans really emerged once they got into the second round, and that excites him for the upcoming year, I asked him about his feelings about his situation in nashville and he replied simply by "I love it there" Loves playing for barry trotz, loves his neighborhood in nashville aswell as his friends that hes met there, he told me he has no big desire to play anywhere else and he is quite content with staying there for a long time

And hey this guy isnt some Greedy ***** who thinks hes a hot shot, hes one of the most humble guys that i know and most of the money he makes goes to his family.

You guys are lucky to have him!
So, did he say why he turned down the extended contract?????????

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:30 AM
pekkaslap

Are they going to start talking contracts with Suter and Rinne when camp starts? I don't want to lose all 3 of those guys, but it looks like that may be what happens. If you had told me that 6 months ago I would have thought you were crazy. Wow.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:15 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Are they going to start talking contracts with Suter and Rinne when camp starts? I don't want to lose all 3 of those guys, but it looks like that may be what happens. If you had told me that 6 months ago I would have thought you were crazy. Wow.
From what Poile is saying, he'd like to talk contract now, but those players aren't interested in talking contract yet. yes, even predfan98's "future captain and all-around good guy" Ryan Suter.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:24 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
from someone employed at 501 Broadway. very reliable, and I don't doubt it. it was said very matter of fact.

what was said was about the offer on the table and what happened when the agents changed. everything else in my original post was my thoughts............ (hope that is clear)
I doubt, very much, that he asked for a "promise to spend to the cap." that's not even enforceable. you can't put that in a contract. He likely stated his concerns about the team's continued competitiveness, and hesitance to commit before knowing that he's going to be the only guy in town. That's not news. We all know that, and most of us are understanding of it.

If you hold it against the guy for wanting to not only be the best defenseman in the league, but also wanting to be on a team that has a legitimate chance at the cup-- I don't know what to tell you. If you think Suter or Rinne are somehow more okay with being a floor team and weeping tears of joy at making it to the second round -- again, I don't know what to tell or how to help you. I don't doubt Weber's desire to stay or his affinity to Nashville. I think his preference is to stay and win here, but he wants the team and ownership to match his commitment.

honestly, I want the same thing. Why should ANYONE commit to a team that has a reputation, unfair or not, for being a farm club to the rest of the NHL? It becomes incredibly hard not to become jaded when looking at all these "great prospects" that we're making room for when history tells us that when they hit their prime, they'll end up leaving because we can only afford to pay one of them at a time.

Like I said, I still believe this is where Weber wants to be, and I think we can afford to pay the dollar amount he wants. The question is -- can we show that the reputation as a feeder team is behind us? Can we finally go from being a playoff contender to an actual cup contender? That's the question Weber wants answered, and I think it's a fair question for the fans to ask, as well.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:29 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I don't get your confusion.

He is a franchise player, and if his demands to sign are accompanied by a demand that they spend to the cap how is that a bad thing? He wants to stay, but not at the expense of winning and if they don't spend to the cap AND spend 7 per season on him they'll never win anything.
Because everyone everwhere knows we won't and likely won't ever be a spend to the cap team. We will never be able to generate the revenue that a Toronto, Rangers, Canucks will.

That doesn't mean we can't ice a competitive team that can win a Cup. We just don't have the margin for error other teams do. Having a quality, stable coaching and management staff, and being able to lock up your core players to competitive, fair, long term deals is the way to do it. If he can't see that we can win that way, then so be it.

If that's Shea's demand to sign long term (spending to the cap), he might as well have asked for the moon. If so, I have a feeling he's just trying to make himself look like a good guy as he packs his bags for the Maple Leafs, Canucks, Bruins, or some other max spending team.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:33 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Because everyone everwhere knows we won't and likely won't ever be a spend to the cap team. We will never be able to generate the revenue that a Toronto, Rangers, Canucks will.

That doesn't mean we can't ice a competitive team that can win a Cup. We just don't have the margin for error other teams do. Having a quality, stable coaching and management staff, and being able to lock up your core players to competitive, fair, long term deals is the way to do it. If he can't see that we can win that way, then so be it.

If that's Shea's demand to sign long term (spending to the cap), he might as well have asked for the moon. If so, I have a feeling he's just trying to make himself look like a good guy as he packs his bags for the Maple Leafs, Canucks, Bruins, or some other max spending team.
You don't have to make money like Toronto or NY to spend to the cap. That's a common misconception. They can do it without blinking, but if we're averaging 16.5 or up, we should be spending pretty close to the cap without worry. That's part of why the fact that we're at the rock bottom floor after our best attendance since the first two years is so frustrating to some.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
You don't have to make money like Toronto or NY to spend to the cap. That's a common misconception. They can do it without blinking, but if we're averaging 16.5 or up, we should be spending pretty close to the cap without worry. That's part of why the fact that we're at the rock bottom floor after our best attendance since the first two years is so frustrating to some.
exactly! not to mention we have heard how much ******** about adding money to the product on the ice? We haven't seen any of it.

I said from the very beginning of all this that weber was going to want Poile to make moves to improve the teams offense before he accepts a long term deal. I was crucified for that opinion. Though it pains me to say it, I was right. I wish I could eat crow but doesn't look that way.

Pekka and Suter aren't open to negotiations? Things are looking pretty grim if you ask me. Winning this year means everything.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:57 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I think you guys take for granted how much money we are spending. The cap system and floor has us spending more and more every year and is keeping us from icing a 22 million dollar payroll. You can whine, *****, moan, and groan, but spending now almost 50 million or what ever the floor is every year is kinda new here. Have we ever has 6 guys make over 4 million bucks before? no. We are spending more money. I fear that we are falling into the trap of instant gratification right now. And I get it. I feel that way too sometimes. I just have put my faith into the "end justifies the means" no matter how he gets there, poile will sign a high dollar free agent. he will make deals at the deadline as seen with giving up firsts for witt when we needed a tough dman, a first when we added forsberg, a first for fisher when we had to have it. He will give up the right prospects as seen with giving upshall and parent away. I guess I drink the kool-aid, but I do not think it as dire as you guys think. Winning will cure a lot of ills. well, winning and 7 million bucks a year.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think you guys take for granted how much money we are spending. The cap system and floor has us spending more and more every year and is keeping us from icing a 22 million dollar payroll. You can whine, *****, moan, and groan, but spending now almost 50 million or what ever the floor is every year is kinda new here. Have we ever has 6 guys make over 4 million bucks before? no. We are spending more money. I fear that we are falling into the trap of instant gratification right now. And I get it. I feel that way too sometimes. I just have put my faith into the "end justifies the means" no matter how he gets there, poile will sign a high dollar free agent. he will make deals at the deadline as seen with giving up firsts for witt when we needed a tough dman, a first when we added forsberg, a first for fisher when we had to have it. He will give up the right prospects as seen with giving upshall and parent away. I guess I drink the kool-aid, but I do not think it as dire as you guys think. Winning will cure a lot of ills. well, winning and 7 million bucks a year.
Yet you just reinforced my point: winning means everything. Isn't trying to convince weber, suter, rinne worth taking risks this year to land the missing piece?

Old
08-30-2011, 09:07 AM
predfan98

Quote:
From what Poile is saying, he'd like to talk contract now, but those players aren't interested in talking contract yet. yes, even predfan98's "future captain and all-around good guy" Ryan Suter.
wow....personal much... if weber leaves and i think his mind is out the door........yes, i think ryan suter is the logical choice to be the captain.

\

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
You might be right. I don't know our finances. I know we can definately be spending more money now than we are, and that is extremely frustrating.

Nonetheless, I just don't know if it's realistic to expect the Nashville Predators (with a conglomerate of ownership, lowest gate prices, lowest revenue streams) to spend as much money as some of the other big money teams.

I think it's a bogus argument, as we can win with mid-level spending. That's why if Weber did make that demand, I think it's nothing more than a smokescreen to portray himself as the good guy as he skips out of town.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
darth5
No!

Quote:
While I would love the team to be past the salary midpoint also, I don't realistically see it happening anytime soon. Putting money back in the team does not mean 'spend to the cap.' Under present ownership this will be a gradual process if it happens. According to http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct Nashville ranked 19th in home attendance with that 16,142 at 94.3% percent of capacity. St Louis, Buffalo, and Minnesota (ugh, what a product to get 99.7%!) ranked higher. (But we are just behind Detroit, although their capacity is much higher). And losing the income redistribution CREATES a funding gap that must be filled. So its not like, 'belly up to the bar, we are at 94.3%!'

Last edited by darth5: 08-30-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: clarity
darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:13 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Yet you just reinforced my point: winning means everything. Isn't trying to convince weber, suter, rinne worth taking risks this year to land the missing piece?
Here is your unknown though: what if maturity is the missing piece? The youth and success on this team is great. Blum, Spaling, Geoffrion, Wilson, Halischuck, Josi, Ellis, Eckholm, Kostytsyn, bergfors, and hornquist are all kids. You have to bank on them being better than the year before and expecting decline from guys who are in their mid thirties...and I will answer that with smithson is the old man at 32. fisher and legwand are 31 and erat is 30 as of yesterday (happy birthday marty!)

what if not being in a hockey hotbed like ottawa eases the pressure on fisher and he can hit 50-60 points?

what if blum can pot 10 goals and 30-40 assists?

What if Spaling can actually pot 10-15 goals?

What if Ellis or Josi can breathe life into a powerplay?

what if geoffrion can pot over ten goals or smith makes an impact?

You can't tell me that if we have another 100 point season, make another good playoff push and seeing how favorable these contracts are with these kids and having Radulov back next year at 900k that this isn't a winning situation.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:21 AM
predfan98

Quote:
we spend to the cap, we lose 10 million in revenue sharing. how do you expect a team that is breaking even at the cap midpoint...........to spend about 10 more to reach the top of the cap , and then lose that additional 10.

2000 extra season tickets at an average of $75 is only around 6 million for the season. I still see a loss of 14 million.

we have the $ at a little over midpoint for a $4 million dollar offensive talent.(along with raises for the future for suter and rinne) Who should we have signed?

no, we don't have to make money like toronto or ny(we don't have the television $ and never will) to spend to the cap..........but we have to be profitable for the team to stay. and right now spending to the cap is losing $.

"They're not willing to bleed money like some teams, the goal is not only to win a Cup, but to remain viable as a hockey market long term. They're increasing capacity of arena slightly, they're hoping to build on the 16 sellouts we had last season in the regular season up to 25. I think their goal is what the fans hope it would be: eventually being able to spend to the cap while being comfortable financially." here's a quote from you, earlier in this discussion. it's kind of my point also.

ticket sales are going well, suite sales are up. we're headed in the right direction.

however, i did hear that weber/agent demanded we spend to the cap.....and frankly think he's out the door already.(in his mind, already wanting to taste the big market spending and fame and trophy)

Last edited by predfan98: 08-30-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: clairty
Old
08-30-2011, 09:22 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Here is your unknown though: what if maturity is the missing piece? The youth and success on this team is great. Blum, Spaling, Geoffrion, Wilson, Halischuck, Josi, Ellis, Eckholm, Kostytsyn, bergfors, and hornquist are all kids. You have to bank on them being better than the year before and expecting decline from guys who are in their mid thirties...and I will answer that with smithson is the old man at 32. fisher and legwand are 31 and erat is 30 as of yesterday (happy birthday marty!)

what if not being in a hockey hotbed like ottawa eases the pressure on fisher and he can hit 50-60 points?

what if blum can pot 10 goals and 30-40 assists?

What if Spaling can actually pot 10-15 goals?

What if Ellis or Josi can breathe life into a powerplay?

what if geoffrion can pot over ten goals or smith makes an impact?

You can't tell me that if we have another 100 point season, make another good playoff push and seeing how favorable these contracts are with these kids and having Radulov back next year at 900k that this isn't a winning situation.
That is a lot of "what ifs" and I doubt weber sees it that way. While we maybe in a good position, there are too many unknowns. We have too much uncertainty. I would rather add someone who is a proven 50-60 point guy than hope for one of our prospects to step up and have an amazing year when we are talking about keeping Weber, Suter, and Rinne.

Not to mention next year Weber, Suter, Rinne, Wilson, Tootoo, O'Reilly, Blum, Bergfors, Lindback, Bam Bam are all up for new contracts.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
I agree, to an extent -- but to play devil's advocate --

--if it's all that you can do just to meet the floor, and even reaching that level is a hardship that your team and maybe a couple of others have to struggle through, then maybe we would be better suited as a minor league team? It's a harsh rationalization, but the NHL is a race, and you have to be able to keep up both on the ice and off. We've done a good--not great--job on the ice, but being realistic, getting over that elusive hump isn't going to be the right prospect coming in on his entry level deal or a reclamation project scoring 16 goals. It's going to take the expenditure of money. I don't want ownership to spend what they don't have, but I also don't want to continue having to scrape into the playoffs and hope for a series of favorable matchups to have a legit chance to win the Cup. That's where we're at right now. We won a playoff round and had a great year in terms of attendance, and I'm thrilled with that -- but I'm not ready to hang my hat on the "see, it's working!" hook just yet, not when I think that Jonas Hiller's wobbly stomach is the only reason we even won the round we did, not when we watched a six game series that our goaltender alone prevented from being an extremely ugly affair in the second round. We have the right general idea, but there are things that still need to happen, dollars that still need to be spent, to get beyond that hump. Can we afford that? Can we afford to retain the big three, or at least 2 of them (critical, otherwise you're looking at a complete rebuild\starting the process over) and additionally SUPPLEMENT those big pieces?

I guess we sit back, wait and see. This will be an interesting season, and next summer will truly be a "nut up or shut up" type of defining time.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:32 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
That is a lot of "what ifs" and I doubt weber sees it that way. While we maybe in a good position, there are too many unknowns. We have too much uncertainty. I would rather add someone who is a proven 50-60 point guy than hope for one of our prospects to step up and have an amazing year when we are talking about keeping Weber, Suter, and Rinne.

Not to mention next year Weber, Suter, Rinne, Wilson, Tootoo, O'Reilly, Blum, Bergfors, Lindback, Bam Bam are all up for new contracts.
who can we afford? Carter went to columbus on an over 5.2 million contract thru 2022.... last year 36 goals, 30 assists.....

what 50-60 points guy can we afford? who was out there?

yes, and all those people are up for new contracts next year....how do we afford those?

I just think we can't afford to keep all the big 3.

And if i want to watch hockey and keep it in nashville, i have to be optimistic like token and hope the youngsters develop and catch fire.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:32 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
we spend to the cap, we lose 10 million in revenue sharing. how do you expect a team that is breaking even at the cap midpoint...........to spend about 10 more to reach the top of the cap , and then lose that additional 10.

2000 extra season tickets at an average of $75 is only around 6 million for the season. I still see a loss of 14 million.

we have the $ at a little over midpoint for a $4 million dollar offensive talent.(along with raises for the future for suter and rinne) Who should we have signed?

no, we don't have to make money like toronto or ny(we don't have the television $ and never will) to spend to the cap..........but we have to be profitable for the team to stay. and right now spending to the cap is losing $.

"They're not willing to bleed money like some teams, the goal is not only to win a Cup, but to remain viable as a hockey market long term. They're increasing capacity of arena slightly, they're hoping to build on the 16 sellouts we had last season in the regular season up to 25. I think their goal is what the fans hope it would be: eventually being able to spend to the cap while being comfortable financially." here's a quote from you, earlier in this discussion. it's kind of my point also.

ticket sales are going well, suite sales are up. we're headed in the right direction.

however, i did hear that weber/agent demanded we spend to the cap.....and frankly think he's out the door already.(in his mind, already wanting to taste the big market spending and fame and trophy)
Again, I can't take you seriously as long as you continue to trumpet your bogus "Weber demanded we spend to the cap" mantra. I just can't. Sorry.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:33 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
who can we afford? Carter went to columbus on an over 5.2 million contract thru 2022.... last year 36 goals, 30 assists.....

what 50-60 points guy can we afford? who was out there?

yes, and all those people are up for new contracts next year....how do we afford those?

I just think we can't afford to keep all the big 3.

And if i want to watch hockey and keep it in nashville, i have to be optimistic like token and hope the youngsters develop and catch fire.
...then come up for new contracts, and we wave good-bye and turn toward the next "crop of youngsters."

What a fun team to cheer for.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:36 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Again, I can't take you seriously as long as you continue to trumpet your bogus "Weber demanded we spend to the cap" mantra. I just can't. Sorry.
that's fine. I know who i heard it from.

I don't know you either, so I can see why you might not believe it. no problem.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:38 AM
predfan98

Quote:
...then come up for new contracts, and we wave good-bye and turn toward the next "crop of youngsters."

that's kind of the cycle of life in professional sports. turnover.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:40 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
that's kind of the cycle of life in professional sports. turnover.
developing players, getting their breakout years, then turning them over in their prime is no sort of cycle, not for a legitimate contender.

That's the cycle of a minor league team, not an NHL franchise that claims to be a contender.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:41 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:

nobody's making you...

that said, if Weber is truly doing the things that pred98 heard,then he doesnt want to be here and there is nothing we can do about it.

truthfully, if he is that big of a jackwagon(and i do mean IF) then we would be better off without him, provided we trade him for some assets

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:46 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
nobody's making you...

that said, if Weber is truly doing the things that pred98 heard,then he doesnt want to be here and there is nothing we can do about it.

truthfully, if he is that big of a jackwagon(and i do mean IF) then we would be better off without him, provided we trade him for some assets
If, and I mean IF, what predfan98 is saying (which goes in direct opposition to what we've always heard, included from those like the BC poster that know him personally) is true, then I agree -- but, by god, if you trade him, there'd better be NOW help coming back, not futures. Not if, again, you're not looking at starting over.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:47 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched88 View Post
Hey guys nucks fan here,

Just giving out some info though you guys might like, Im by no means a reliable source but I have known shea personally since before he played for the rockets, had him and his girlfriend bailey over for dinner the other night:

Long story short - Shea has been training most every day this off season in kelowna, took a month off after the playoffs to rest and then has been working out with some of his old freinds (comeau, gorges ect). said he will be coming down to nashville within a week early to get ready for the year

He was very surprised at how much the fans really emerged once they got into the second round, and that excites him for the upcoming year, I asked him about his feelings about his situation in nashville and he replied simply by "I love it there" Loves playing for barry trotz, loves his neighborhood in nashville aswell as his friends that hes met there, he told me he has no big desire to play anywhere else and he is quite content with staying there for a long time

And hey this guy isnt some Greedy ***** who thinks hes a hot shot, hes one of the most humble guys that i know and most of the money he makes goes to his family.

You guys are lucky to have him!
I guess I missed this post earlier.
I sure hope this is true.
I also hope he doesnt make us excited fans wait until the last minute to know if he is staying...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote