HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vokoun took less money to play with Capitals because 'I want to enjoy hockey'

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2011, 09:32 AM
  #1
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,180
vCash: 500
Vokoun took less money to play with Capitals because 'I want to enjoy hockey'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...gmnJ_blog.html

Quote:
Tomas Vokoun may be earning a significantly smaller paycheck in Washington than he has in recent seasons, but the veteran goaltender made it clear Monday that money isn’t his priority these days.

“I’m in the stage of my career [where] I don’t have to worry about my finances, my livelihood, my family, and I can just go out and enjoy hockey and play with great players,” Vokoun told the Miami Herald’s George Richards after a workout in Coral Springs.

The 35-year-old Czech native signed a one-year deal with the Capitals worth a meager $1.5 million in July, just a season after he earned $6.3 million in Florida. Vokoun, who had widely been considered the top free agent goalie available, later described the offers he got — including a three-year deal from the Panthers — as “disappointing.” His agent at the time, Michael Deutsch (Vokoun switched to Octagon’s Allan Walsh late last month), called Capitals General Manager George McPhee the day after free agency opened and said the netminder would take a lesser deal to play in Washington.

“It was something I was looking at as, you know, I want to enjoy hockey. I want to play in playoffs,” Vokoun said Monday. “It’s been really tough for me. I lost four years. I’ve been sitting every summer here in South Florida, which I love, in the afternoons swimming in the pool, and by 7:30 at night I put on the TV and watch playoff hockey every single year. If you care and love playing hockey, it’s not an easy thing to do.”
Interesting. I am sure this will upset the pro-Vokoun fans even more...


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-30-2011 at 09:44 AM.
MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:35 AM
  #2
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
Wonder how this will reflect in his performance... will he play better because he is having fun now? Or will he be not as dedicated and do worse?

Personally I think he will play better since he is just out to have fun now. *shrug*

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:41 AM
  #3
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Interesting. I wonder what all the people who KNEW he would have signed here for that amount have to say about this. Probably that he would have taken that much from Philly too but Homer is too stupid or that Vokoun is just lying. They know the real truth, as always.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:03 AM
  #4
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,561
vCash: 156
Of course Vokoun went to the Caps. We had already signed Bryz, so if Vokoun wanted to go to a winning team that could stand to upgrade in goal, Washington was pretty much all that was left. If we don't throw a massive contract at Bryz before FA begins, Vokoun doesn't more or less automatically go to Washington. He still could have been had for cheaper than Bryz, and he probably could have been had here.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:10 AM
  #5
markzab
Registered User
 
markzab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA.
Country: United States
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to markzab
I like reading things like this. Good on him.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:16 AM
  #6
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
It blows my mind that people interpret a simple concept such as supply and demand as someone claiming to be omniscient, or knowing EXACTLY what someone will sign for.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:16 AM
  #7
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I like reading things like this. Good on him.
Yea, I'm glad he'll get to play for a real contender.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:21 AM
  #8
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Yea, I'm glad he'll get to play for a real contender.
And it will be interesting how he does also. The Caps are not really known for their defense, and yes, while Florida was bad, Vokoun is not going to have an easy time when the Caps defenders are constantly going on the rush and leaving only 1 back.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:29 AM
  #9
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Of course Vokoun went to the Caps. We had already signed Bryz, so if Vokoun wanted to go to a winning team that could stand to upgrade in goal, Washington was pretty much all that was left. If we don't throw a massive contract at Bryz before FA begins, Vokoun doesn't more or less automatically go to Washington. He still could have been had for cheaper than Bryz, and he probably could have been had here.
So your argument remains the same? That because he signed with Washington he would have signed with Philly?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:33 AM
  #10
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So your argument remains the same? That because he signed with Washington he would have signed with Philly?
The argument is COULD have. He COULD have signed anywhere. But only 1 team needed a goalie and was a legitimate contender, Washington. If we needed a goalie, we would have probably been in the discussion. Then 2 teams bid for a single player. The price goes up. Even if Vokoun doesn't want to come here, he and his agent use us as a means of driving up Washington's offer.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:40 AM
  #11
97FlyersKing18
Registered User
 
97FlyersKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 622
vCash: 500
Vokoun took a massive pay cut to play for a contender, but it's not like he and his agent would have said no to the Flyers FO if he was offered Bryzgalov money on a 2-4 year deal.

The Capitals job was the only one available that fit his desires for a contending team and open race for the starting position.

While I don't agree with the Flyers subsequent trades following the massive Bryzgalov signing, I believe that Bryzgalov is a huge asset to the Flyers and will play stellar in orange and black in the coming decade.

If the Flyers unsuccessfully waited on Vokoun and don't make the Bryzgalov trade/deal, then there is a legitimate chance the Flyers miss out on a starting caliber goaltender once again, much to the chagrin of Flyers faithful.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:45 AM
  #12
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
The argument is COULD have. He COULD have signed anywhere. But only 1 team needed a goalie and was a legitimate contender, Washington. If we needed a goalie, we would have probably been in the discussion. Then 2 teams bid for a single player. The price goes up. Even if Vokoun doesn't want to come here, he and his agent use us as a means of driving up Washington's offer.
So the Flyers should have waited and not signed Bryz and hoped that Vokoun would have signed for less and risked losing both of them?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
  #13
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,561
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So your argument remains the same? That because he signed with Washington he would have signed with Philly?
He signed with Washington because Washington was the only team left. He had no options. Who's to say we couldn't have gotten him if we'd pursued him? If he wanted to win, he wasn't going to go to Colorado. TB was likely never seriously in the market because they needed to save cash to keep Stamkos. That leaves us and Washington, and had we offered him 3-4 million Washington probably couldn't have matched. Even after trading Varly's 2.8 mil hit for Vokoun's 1.5, they're 800k over the cap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So the Flyers should have waited and not signed Bryz and hoped that Vokoun would have signed for less and risked losing both of them?
As it turns out, that really wasn't a situation. Bryz and Vokoun both wanted to go to winning teams...that's not Colorado. Washington wasn't interested in a goaltender apparently until Vokoun's agent contacted them. We still could have gotten one or the other, and we would have been in a superior bargaining position. As I pointed out earlier, bidding WAS out of the negotiations wouldn't have been difficult at all, and TB was probably never in the hunt.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
  #14
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,386
vCash: 500
Yeah and we could have had Thomas last year. Hindsight is 20/20....move on

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:10 PM
  #15
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Interesting. I wonder what all the people who KNEW he would have signed here for that amount have to say about this. Probably that he would have taken that much from Philly too but Homer is too stupid or that Vokoun is just lying. They know the real truth, as always.
This post is embarrassing for you.

Vokoun is saying there that he went to the only place left to sign where he was assured of getting a shot at the playoffs. You don't think Philly would have met that criteria if we'd beaten the "disappointing offers" on July 1st?

I mean, are you serious dude?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:12 PM
  #16
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,561
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Yeah and we could have had Thomas last year. Hindsight is 20/20....move on
It made sense to pursue Vokoun. At the time, it made zero sense to pursue an injured old goalie with a big cap hit. There's a huge difference.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:13 PM
  #17
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
A philly team that just traded Richards and Carter looks as promising as a wounded capitals team?

ah right.....

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:16 PM
  #18
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
A philly team that just traded Richards and Carter looks as promising as a wounded capitals team?

ah right.....
For a legitimate contract?

We are weakened, but we were still a playoff contender.

Of course, the bigger problem is the option was never explored.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:16 PM
  #19
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
So the Flyers should have waited and not signed Bryz and hoped that Vokoun would have signed for less and risked losing both of them?
Dude stop putting words in my mouth. I said no such thing. Stop confusing should have with could have.

My statement was a 100% hypothetical situation. I said "If we needed a goalie...", which clearly we did not, because we had already signed one.

Nobody is saying anybody SHOULD HAVE done anything else. It is merely analyzing a market.

Beef says:

Quote:
If we don't throw a massive contract at Bryz before FA begins, Vokoun doesn't more or less automatically go to Washington. He still could have been had for cheaper than Bryz, and he probably could have been had here.
a purely hypothetical statement. Saying, if we didn't have a goalie, we could have been in the market for him. So therefore, there couldhave been an additional suitor, other than just Washington. More buyers, means price goes up.

Somehow you take that as:

Quote:
So your argument remains the same? That because he signed with Washington he would have signed with Philly?
He never said he would have done anything. He said if we didn't have a goalie, he could have had another option in us.

I essentially reiterated the same point, and yet you interpret it and respond with my initial quote above. Nobody is saying anything WOULD HAVE happened.

An analogy:
Let's say you buy a car today, and then a week from today I decide to sell my car at a good price, because I have to move it quickly. Is it silly to think that you could be interested in my car since you are in the market for one? I think it's quite rational. You may decide you like the other option better, but you could consider my car.

As the seller, I'm pumped because I have 2 people that want my car. I just might get a tad more money than I would have, if you bought a car a week ago.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:21 PM
  #20
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,386
vCash: 500

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:26 PM
  #21
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He signed with Washington because Washington was the only team left. He had no options. Who's to say we couldn't have gotten him if we'd pursued him? If he wanted to win, he wasn't going to go to Colorado. TB was likely never seriously in the market because they needed to save cash to keep Stamkos. That leaves us and Washington, and had we offered him 3-4 million Washington probably couldn't have matched. Even after trading Varly's 2.8 mil hit for Vokoun's 1.5, they're 800k over the cap.
It's interesting that you read that into the article where it doesn't say that. He said on the second day of FA he called Washington. It doesn't say no one was interested and this was the only thing left. He said he received disappointing offers and wanted to go to a winning team. How is that he went to the only team left? I guess it makes sense to spin it that way to suit your argument, but that is not what the article says.


Quote:
As it turns out, that really wasn't a situation. Bryz and Vokoun both wanted to go to winning teams...that's not Colorado. Washington wasn't interested in a goaltender apparently until Vokoun's agent contacted them. We still could have gotten one or the other, and we would have been in a superior bargaining position. As I pointed out earlier, bidding WAS out of the negotiations wouldn't have been difficult at all, and TB was probably never in the hunt.
We don't know what the situation would have been had we not signed Bryz. We may have still gotten him or we may have gotten Vokoun. Maybe we would have paid less for Bryz or Vokoun. Or maybe we would have gotten neither or paid more for either. You can't sit there and say we unequivocally would have gotten either for less if we waited because Vokoun signed in Washington for less. That is not how it works. Like I said a month ago when this topic came up, we don't know what Vokoun was thinking, until now when he said he wanted to go to a winner. Maybe Washington was #1 all along. Just because the Flyers had an opening doesn't mean he would have signed here if Washington was his #1 choice. It's not a one for one switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This post is embarrassing for you.

Vokoun is saying there that he went to the only place left to sign where he was assured of getting a shot at the playoffs. You don't think Philly would have met that criteria if we'd beaten the "disappointing offers" on July 1st?

I mean, are you serious dude?
This post is embarrassing for you. Where does it say Washington was the only team left so I signed there? When I read it it said I wanted to play for a winning team so after receiving disappointing offers, we called Washington and went there. Please show me what you are talking about when he said that he had no other options, because maybe I read a different article where it said he got other offers that were disappointing and then made first contact with the Caps and signed there. Oh wait, I have the quote right here:

Quote:
The 35-year-old Czech native signed a one-year deal with the Capitals worth a meager $1.5 million in July, just a season after he earned $6.3 million in Florida. Vokoun, who had widely been considered the top free agent goalie available, later described the offers he got — including a three-year deal from the Panthers — as “disappointing.” His agent at the time, Michael Deutsch (Vokoun switched to Octagon’s Allan Walsh late last month), called Capitals General Manager George McPhee the day after free agency opened and said the netminder would take a lesser deal to play in Washington.
I guess that article is different from the one you are reading.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:28 PM
  #22
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
For a legitimate contract?

We are weakened, but we were still a playoff contender.

Of course, the bigger problem is the option was never explored.
Tell that to some of the other people around here. We are going to miss the play-offs for the next 3 years apparently.

Also, play-off contender is a little different to cup contender. Which is what people view washington as.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:30 PM
  #23
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Dude stop putting words in my mouth. I said no such thing. Stop confusing should have with could have.

My statement was a 100% hypothetical situation. I said "If we needed a goalie...", which clearly we did not, because we had already signed one.

Nobody is saying anybody SHOULD HAVE done anything else. It is merely analyzing a market.

Beef says:



a purely hypothetical statement. Saying, if we didn't have a goalie, we could have been in the market for him. So therefore, there couldhave been an additional suitor, other than just Washington. More buyers, means price goes up.

Somehow you take that as:



He never said he would have done anything. He said if we didn't have a goalie, he could have had another option in us.

I essentially reiterated the same point, and yet you interpret it and respond with my initial quote above. Nobody is saying anything WOULD HAVE happened.

An analogy:
Let's say you buy a car today, and then a week from today I decide to sell my car at a good price, because I have to move it quickly. Is it silly to think that you could be interested in my car since you are in the market for one? I think it's quite rational. You may decide you like the other option better, but you could consider my car.

As the seller, I'm pumped because I have 2 people that want my car. I just might get a tad more money than I would have, if you bought a car a week ago.
Ok. So you never said would or whatever, then why are people making a big deal and acting like Homer absolutely blew it? A lot of things COULD have happened. Like I said, they COULD have missed out on both or paid more for one or the other. Why is that less valid than they COULD have signed one for less?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:30 PM
  #24
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Tell that to some of the other people around here. We are going to miss the play-offs for the next 3 years apparently.

Also, play-off contender is a little different to cup contender. Which is what people view washington as.
Man, read Vokoun's comments again. He basically says he had **** offers on the table and had HIS AGENT call up the Caps. It's not about Cup Contender, it's about the only seat available at the table with a halfway decent team.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:37 PM
  #25
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,561
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
It's interesting that you read that into the article where it doesn't say that. He said on the second day of FA he called Washington. It doesn't say no one was interested and this was the only thing left. He said he received disappointing offers and wanted to go to a winning team. How is that he went to the only team left? I guess it makes sense to spin it that way to suit your argument, but that is not what the article says.
Dude...there was only 1 winning team left. Philly had already signed Bryz. If he wanted to go to a winning team, Washington was the only one left, and they were also the only good team that could stand to upgrade in goal. Varly and Neuvirth are pretty good, but Vokoun is much better.




Quote:
We don't know what the situation would have been had we not signed Bryz. We may have still gotten him or we may have gotten Vokoun. Maybe we would have paid less for Bryz or Vokoun. Or maybe we would have gotten neither or paid more for either. You can't sit there and say we unequivocally would have gotten either for less if we waited because Vokoun signed in Washington for less. That is not how it works. Like I said a month ago when this topic came up, we don't know what Vokoun was thinking, until now when he said he wanted to go to a winner. Maybe Washington was #1 all along. Just because the Flyers had an opening doesn't mean he would have signed here if Washington was his #1 choice. It's not a one for one switch.
We could have potentially had either one for less, because there would have been competition. We could have told Bryz "we're pursuing Vokoun as well, and he can be had for less." Bryz wouldn't have been allowed to dictate his terms and get a massive contract with no flexibility. It also can't be proved that Washington was his #1 choice, or if it was just the best remaining choice. The latter seems more likely. If given the choice between playing for a winning team and making good money, and playing for a winning team while making more...that's not a hard decision.

Instead, Homer decided to not really negotiate at all and just throw huge money, a long term that pays good money for nearly its entirety, and a NMC at Bryz.



Quote:
This post is embarrassing for you. Where does it say Washington was the only team left so I signed there? When I read it it said I wanted to play for a winning team so after receiving disappointing offers, we called Washington and went there. Please show me what you are talking about when he said that he had no other options, because maybe I read a different article where it said he got other offers that were disappointing and then made first contact with the Caps and signed there. Oh wait, I have the quote right here:
If Washington wasn't the only winning team left that might be in the market for a goalie upgrade, who else is there?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.