HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXV (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2011, 09:31 AM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
No no, I agree with you. I just adding that equipment could be better.
Now days, guys go into corners full speed and without fear cause they have armor like padding. It use to hurt a bit giving a body check but now its mostly hurt wen on the receiving end.
Also, Crosby first hit was an incident and a accident. The real guilty party here is Sidney himself and the Pens. After that 1st hit, he should have been check and taking out and make sure he wasn't concuss. Then the Hedman hit never happens.
Crosby, and the Pens know this, and wish they could have that back for sure...unfortunate...it sounds to me, like Crosby is big time competative, and thought he was fine, and back in he went...

Old
08-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Andy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp11148

Horton doesn't feel Rome's apology was sufficient.

Last edited by Andy: 08-25-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old
08-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Have to agree with Horton in this case. Try calling him until you get through, a text message does not suffice.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
08-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So it seems Phoenix has acquired Daymond Langkow to answer their center problems.

Old
08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Andy

Good for the Yotes. Now all the jets need to do is sign Wellwood and the stupid Gomez nonsense and fake rumors will stop, which will also end everyone's hopes getting high for no reason.

Old
08-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Good for the Yotes. Now all the jets need to do is sign Wellwood and the stupid Gomez nonsense and fake rumors will stop, which will also end everyone's hopes getting high for no reason.
Gomez nonsense was always, exactly that, nonsense. Our team needs Gomez (or what he used to be, at least in the '09-'10 season) a lot more than other teams.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:35 AM
Miller Time

Langkow for Stempniak.

good move for the Yotes. Langkow is fully healthy/recovered, and is highly motivated to resume his career. Already a guy with a good work ethic/attitude, the neck injury and the season he lost will be that much more motivation for the guy.
Should do well as the defacto #1 centre for the yotes, and with a coach like Tipett, he's likely to get tons of ice time (as a defensively responsible vet).
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him get back into the 20g 55-65pt range.

interesting move for the flames...
clearly a downgrade in pure hockey talent, but they had/have lots of depth at centre and Stempniak gives them some top-9 winger depth (flames now have 7 solid top-9 fwd options, which is important since they have basically no young top-9 players in the AHL ready to make the jump... Nemisz is still at least 1 year away imo).

the extra cap space (now @ 3.6M) now makes it much easier for Feaster to make an aggeressive move either in training camp or during the season.

all in all a pretty good deal for both teams I'd say.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Looks like JVR is going to be in Philly for a while, 6 year extension no word on the money yet

Old
08-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Have to agree with Horton in this case. Try calling him until you get through, a text message does not suffice.
I don't even see why Rome owes Horton an apology. The man got suspended 4 games in the Finals for a questionable late hit that didn't even aim the head. I'd hold my tongue in.

Old
08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't even see why Rome owes Horton an apology. The man got suspended 4 games in the Finals for a questionable late hit that didn't even aim the head. I'd hold my tongue in.
More of a sportsmanship thing. While you're right, he doesn't owe Horton anything - suspension or not - it's still one of those unwritten rules between players. Hate to use the word here, but it's about respect.

If I got hit like that, whether it was directed towards the head or not, I'd still want some sort of explanation from the person that made the hit.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
More of a sportsmanship thing. While you're right, he doesn't owe Horton anything - suspension or not - it's still one of those unwritten rules between players. Hate to use the word here, but it's about respect.

If I got hit like that, whether it was directed towards the head or not, I'd still want some sort of explanation from the person that made the hit.
I dunno, i think the entire bruins' organization's reaction to the patches incident makes horton and the rest of them look like hypocrites. This kid just won the cup and he's still crying. Grow up, be the bigger man.

I mean, come on. He was faking! He was on the ice for the cup celebration a week later!

Old
08-30-2011, 01:55 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I dunno, i think the entire bruins' organization's reaction to the patches incident makes horton and the rest of them look like hypocrites. This kid just won the cup and he's still crying. Grow up, be the bigger man.

I mean, come on. He was faking! He was on the ice for the cup celebration a week later!
I get the whole hypocritical standpoint, especially when Horton (and Lucic) were bone-headed enough to go after Pouliot and try to fight him after what happened to Pacioretty.

I agree with one thing though. Don't run to the media and cry about someone not calling to say sorry.

I see both sides to this. On one hand, Rome should have called instead of texted. However, if I am Horton, I'd be taking a photo of me kissing the Cup while on an island resort and send it to Rome's cell as a response to his text message.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:51 PM
la25ecoupe

Hey, what's gonna happen to Pouliot.. is it possible to have intra team fight?

Game 1, Lucid vs Pouliot

Old
08-30-2011, 03:52 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Looks like JVR is going to be in Philly for a while, 6 year extension no word on the money yet
4.25M annually. Seems confirmed by TSN now.

What a TERRIBLE contract that is. I'm a big fan of JVR and I think he'll eventually live up to that contract, maybe even as soon as this season. I just don't feel it was necessary to give him such a huge deal on his second contract given what he's done SO FAR. Just makes Pacioretty's contract that much nicer.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
4.25M annually. Seems confirmed by TSN now.

What a TERRIBLE contract that is. I'm a big fan of JVR and I think he'll eventually live up to that contract, maybe even as soon as this season. I just don't feel it was necessary to give him such a huge deal on his second contract given what he's done SO FAR. Just makes Pacioretty's contract that much nicer.
It's an extension. It doesn't start until the end of this year. He's signed for 7 years now(6+1). He may be worth that at end of his ELC.

Old
08-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Bill McNeal

Great deal for Dean Lombardi.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
It's an extension. It doesn't start until the end of this year. He's signed for 7 years now(6+1). He may be worth that at end of his ELC.
Flyers love to give longterm deals. Briere, Richards, Carter, now JVR, Bryz and even more ridiculous, Talbot. Five years for Talbot, that has to be the crappiest deal of the summer.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:23 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Maybe.

For some reason I thought his contract was up for renewal this season. As of right now I still don't like the signing.. I would have tried to go the same route they went with Giroux in this case and sign him during the season, and even then the idea that he makes more then Giroux is crazy.

Old
08-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Maybe.

For some reason I thought his contract was up for renewal this season. As of right now I still don't like the signing.. I would have tried to go the same route they went with Giroux in this case and sign him during the season, and even then the idea that he makes more then Giroux is crazy.
I wouldn't have done this as Philadelphia, it adds a lot of cap hit when they are looking at Coburn and Carle hitting free agency at the same time while Timonen and Pronger age. Better off taking the heavier hit a couple years from now when you'd be looking at JVR being a leader on the team rather than the complimentary player he is now.

Old
08-30-2011, 05:44 PM
guest1467

Can't say I have ever been sold on JVR, he still has a lot to prove.

I seriously find Holmgren to be a horrible GM, he is resourceful, and has a pair of balls, but his decision-making seems totally out of wack.

Old
08-30-2011, 05:51 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I wouldn't have done this as Philadelphia, it adds a lot of cap hit when they are looking at Coburn and Carle hitting free agency at the same time while Timonen and Pronger age. Better off taking the heavier hit a couple years from now when you'd be looking at JVR being a leader on the team rather than the complimentary player he is now.
It will indeed be interesting to see how they rebuild their defense.

As for JVR, he will probably be able to 'live up' to his contract but Homlgren's point was not that. He's expecting JVR to become an elite player 5-6 years from now at that cheap cap hit. It is a roll of dices really.

Just a quick note, when we forecasted JVR in our upcoming draft guide (Sept 1st on our site - there did my plug), we expect him to have a career season obviously, mid 50's. A 70 or 80 point season down the road of his career is not out of reach for JVR.

Old
08-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Gomez nonsense was always, exactly that, nonsense. Our team needs Gomez (or what he used to be, at least in the '09-'10 season) a lot more than other teams.
My reply to you is completely off-topic, but I just had to say this when I looked at your avy (very nice BTW) :

If they ever do a movie about Jack Layton's life, they HAVE to take Terry O'Quinn

Old
08-30-2011, 10:55 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

LMAO Ryder

Did you see the Cup fall in Newfoundland?

Old
09-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Bill McNeal

Pretty mature comments from Grabovski, re: his time in Montreal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp11688

Quote:
I also read one of your interviews where you said that the Leafs are your favorite club and "are the team you gave you a chance when you were living through not the happiest of times." Were you talking about Montreal when you said "not the happiest of times?"
"I don't think I said 'not the happiest of times,' I think I said 'not the best of times.' When you are not playing you always feel somewhat down. I have been playing hockey my whole life and, of course, I was upset that I spent so much time on the bench. The most important for any hockey player is to actually play. And in Montreal I wasn't given much opportunity to play. I kept waiting for the moment when I would be presented with a chance because I wanted to make the most of it."

Montreal seems like an unhappy place for Belorussian players — you didn't cut it there, Sergei Kostitsyn(notes) was traded, and now it looks like his brother Andrei may be in hot waters.
"I think that people who worked for Montreal treated me absolutely great including the general manager. It's just every coach has his own view of hockey. And unfortunately it just didn't work out between me and the coach I was working with there. We couldn't find the common ground. At the very least he didn't see the player who could make the team better in me. I know that the general manager and the other management were satisfied with the way I played. Also if you look at all the guys who are no longer with Montreal, the guys who won the Calder Cup with Hamilton, they are not playing for the Canadiens. A lot of those guys are playing somewhere else. Unfortunately we couldn't keep the core who won the Calder Cup in Hamilton together. But it is [Montreal's] business. They are always searching for something, trying to find something. And I have to thank Bob Gainey who gave me a chance and let me go to Toronto."

Old
09-02-2011, 10:15 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Grabovski definitely seems like he's done a lot of growing up. Too bad it couldn't have been with us, but he's a likeable player so I'm glad his head seems to be on straight.

Closed Thread