HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Daniel Catenacci TRADE

Old
08-29-2011, 02:40 PM
PacoSanchez15

vCash: 500
I think we'd still have this circus of speculation whether it was done in private or not. The fans in the Soo aren't going to stop until they hear it from one side or the other and even then it probably won't be enough for some.

Regardless of the reason, people have to realize it's over and done with. Whether it was Catenacci himself, his parents, his agents or the Sabres someone had their reason for wanting him to play elsewhere and they got their wish. Time for everyone to move on with their lives.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 04:11 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libbs View Post
Go and read his posts and his personal attacks against Catenacci.
Well if saying he is a selfish hockey player,,didn't produce when we needed him most is a personal attack i certainly plead guilty..personally i like the kid and loved his work ethic...didn't like the results..didn't like the way he left town and i am not alone in this attitude.
By the way i was taught "What other people think of me ..is none of my business"

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:25 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlguy View Post
If you have no credibility for Bobby Orr about being up front and honest then you should be mad with your own GM in the Soo. Dubas is probably embarrassed as to why he lost his top player or else he would tell his fans. I would be looking at Dubas for an explanation which is owed to the Soo fans. I can't believe you turn the tables and blame the classiest player in history instead.
I didn't say anythign about Gordie Howe

Old
08-29-2011, 05:33 PM
ohlguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
I didn't say anythign about Gordie Howe
I know...because it was about the classiest player ever which is Bobby Orr

The Soo is a little much with the media and drama. There must be many good reasons for the kid to leave. The Soo fans and media alone are good enough for me. Just look at what happend to Brock Beukeboom, you fans and the media burried him up there. He also wanted to out in a big hurry as did home town hero Brett Thompson...who will be next???

Last edited by ohlguy: 08-29-2011 at 05:39 PM.
ohlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Libbs

Quote:
I know...because it was about the classiest player ever which is Bobby Orr

The Soo is a little much with the media and drama. There must be many good reasons for the kid to leave. The Soo fans and media alone are good enough for me. Just look at what happend to Brock Beukeboom, you fans and the media burried him up there. He also wanted to out in a big hurry as did home town hero Brett Thompson...who will be next???
Bang on. I'd never let my kid play there...

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Tigers1992

I think the Soo is alot like Toronto in the fact that its so hockey focused. In Toronto its all leafs, in the Soo its all Greyhounds. When things are going good, its great, when its bad, its bad.

I think most fans and Media are pretty good overall. Ive only been a few times, but most of the time fans want the best for the team. They appriciate the effort that players put in. That said, Buekeboom and Thompson are good examples of what happens then a fan base can be a little intense. I felt horrible for what happened to Michael Fine. That was unfair.

At the end of the day they guys are still kids, and shouldnt have to put up with the same stresses that million dollar athletes do.

The media is generally fair, other then one person who uses the hounds and his position to make himself a story, but thats not really worth talking about.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 09:19 PM
saska sault

Thompson never asked out? I know his family, and alot of his friends. Thompson was moved to give more playing time to Cat and Cousins, and to build for the future as Torrie realized this team was not winning as it was in the next year or two. Beukeboom was boo'ed by about 50 fans at the Essar Centre, those fans just happen to be the loud ones. The Soo is like Toronto, very hockey focused that is why stories get out here, while a similar story may not surface in Brampton. We sell out almost every game, there is waiting lists for tickets, they have been a part of the community for generations, and this is a hockey area... we may be "hard" on the team, but instead of looking at it in a bad way, some players actually embrace it as preparation for the next level of hockey. Joe Thornton, Jeff Carter, Steve Sullivan, Wayne Gretzky, Paul Coffey, Jon Vanbiezbrouk (sp), Trevor Daley, Ron Francis, Craig Hartsburg, Tyler Kennedy, Adam Foote... not to mention 100 other NHL'ers made out good here, and continued to succeed at the next level, and after their careers, and not all of them played on championship or playoff teams... You will be a good player, if you dedicate yourself to the sport. I hope Catenacci does well, he worked his tail off, but he had as much opportunity to develop here as anywhere else in the OHL, so I dont buy many of the excuses being tossed around. It has to do with agents, NHL clubs, player - personnel relationships, or friction between teammates.. not the community, or caliber of hockey in the Soo, because historically both are great.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:15 AM
dogsandwings

Well all i can say is most of the men who come here to play junior hockey love it..only problem's have been Momma or Daddies boys...
They signed up to honour contracts...tell it to the young men in the military they sign up at the same age and can't say ..i don't want to go to Afganastan..or wherever..these are not kids they are young men and they have to toughen up mentally as well as physically.
I'll say it again why should a number one pick have anymore consideration then the kid who may never make it to the NHL and plays to be part of a team for the love of the game and the desire to be a champion.
I think that this young man's handler's have hurt him...there is absolutely nothing wrong with Sault Ste. Marie or it's hockey team...some posters on these forums seem to think that the league is only run right in their cities..not everyone can field a winner every year.
Mr Dubas came in and has successfully trade away some problem players Thomas and Catennaci...Fine was traded becasuse he could not honor team rules..
As for the fans in this city..they are passionate..and fill the rink even when they end up last..a standing ovation for a last place team at the end of the year..
95 % of the Men who have [played here have loved it..it is inane to suggest this is not a great city or a great hockey culture...
And if anyone wants to suggest Catenacci was not a problem..why did Dubas have to solve it..??

Old
08-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
The media is generally fair, other then one person who uses the hounds and his position to make himself a story, but thats not really worth talking about.
Dave Torrie was one of the first "friends" I made in the CHL and it saddened me to see the abuse that he took over the last year there from that guy. IIRC, he had 4-5 players drafted this year and 3 the year before.

How is that NOT doing your job as an OHL GM?

Everyone carped on that 2007 draft as being disastrous to the franchise. Frankly, from where I sit, you had a coach no one, not even Dave, I believe by the end, had any respect for.

There's a lot of noise surrounding the Catenacci trade. It came down to one thing, the ship there was sinking and certain people on the business side believed that the Dubas hiring was an anchor and not a salvage vessel and so they wanted "their guys" out of there.

Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:59 PM
ohlguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post

There's a lot of noise surrounding the Catenacci trade. It came down to one thing, the ship there was sinking and certain people on the business side believed that the Dubas hiring was an anchor and not a salvage vessel and so they wanted "their guys" out of there.
I totally agree!! Just look at how the young GM Dubas handled the Catenacci situation. Apparently no phone call was ever made to the player with concern as to why he wanted out or even to his parents. You also get to see how these Soo fans turn on their players. Cat was a hero before this all broke loose and now he's a problem? That's irresponsible to write about a kid who gave everything up there. I believe what his teammates said about him and his coach not what people come up with to justify the kid wanting out.

I would never have a young hockey player at 16 years of age go to the Soo to be eaten by the media wolves and fans. No other place in the OHL is like this. I get a kick out of reading some of the hypocritical posts coming from the same person. Hero one day...zero the next? This kid became my favourite OHL player after the first time watching him play. Give it a break!! Read comments from his teammates and coach if you want to know what this kid is all about, not from the sour Soo fans who are upset that Daniel, his agent, Buffalo, parents or all of the above wanted him out. Rumor has it there are other disgruntled players yet to come out of the closet...stay tuned.

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3268286

"I was surprised when I heard about it," said Carson Dubchak from his home in Kenora, Ont. "Yeah, I guess I could say I'm shocked. I can't say anything negative toward Daniel at all. It's obviously something that he wants for himself."

He said Catenacci is a character guy that "everyone likes." He was a fun guy in the dressing room and full of good humour, and talented.

"He's definitely one of the biggest parts of the team," said Dubchak, who has been with the Hounds for three seasons.

Hounds left winger David Broll said "Even though he's a great guy, you can't do anything about it if he's going to leave. There's going to be some gaps to fill now that he's gone, and I think more guys will step up to the plate. It'll give other guys opportunities."

Michael Kantor was upbeat about the Hounds prospects this season, despite losing Catenacci.

He said Catenacci is probably doing what he thinks is best to get to the next level.

"I'm behind him with his decisions. We all believe in this group right now. The team that we have now, with or without Daniel, will be a good team," said Kantor, a Chicago native who is in the Sault training.

"I was kind of surprised ... We'll miss him in the locker room."

Trevor Morbeck, from Jackson, Wis., says losing Catenacci will impact the team.

"(But) it's a team. It's not based on one guy and he's not going to make or break the team. We're still going to have to do what we do, and that's to play games and win."

He said Catenacci is a good player and it's a tough loss, however, that's hockey.

"Guys get traded, they ask for trades. It's all part of the game and that's how it goes."

Morbeck admits to being a little shocked when he first heard the news.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:51 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
I totally agree!! Just look at how the young GM Dubas handled the Catenacci situation. Apparently no phone call was ever made to the player with concern as to why he wanted out or even to his parents. You also get to see how these Soo fans turn on their players. Cat was a hero before this all broke loose and now he's a problem? That's irresponsible to write about a kid who gave everything up there. I believe what his teammates said about him and his coach not what people come up with to justify the kid wanting out.

I would never have a young hockey player at 16 years of age go to the Soo to be eaten by the media wolves and fans. No other place in the OHL is like this. I get a kick out of reading some of the hypocritical posts coming from the same person. Hero one day...zero the next? This kid became my favourite OHL player after the first time watching him play. Give it a break!! Read comments from his teammates and coach if you want to know what this kid is all about, not from the sour Soo fans who are upset that Daniel, his agent, Buffalo, parents or all of the above wanted him out. Rumor has it there are other disgruntled players yet to come out of the closet...stay tuned.
I'm not sure why you have such a problem with Dubas but looking at your latest posts it would seem like you do. Ever think his agent told him not to bother calling the family or Daniel, that the decision was made and that was the end of it? Unless you know the true reason why he wanted out? Depending on the reason it was probably pointless to try.

Not all Soo fans are as you claim. Most of us are pretty level headed people who realize that Cat is a good player and will be missed in our lineup. Unfortunately there are some who now feel he's public enemy #1 because he doesn't want to play here anymore, trust me they are not the majority.

Most of us know all Montague is good for is comic relief. He's a loud mouth who spews whatever he thinks will get the highest number of hits to the Sault Star's website. Peter Rucci is usually pretty good, very rarely does he have anything bad to say about the players.

Torrie took some unfair criticism from the fans but his ultimate downfall was hiring Lambert to be head coach. Denny may be a nice guy and a good assistant coach but he is not a head coach. Not yet anyways.

I won't repeat the stories I heard about Michael Fine and what he did before they finally sent him home but if the story is true (which has been told to me by two different sources that don't know each other) then it was justified and surprising that it wasn't done long before that.

As for the 16 year old not coming here to get eaten by the media and fans, there have been plenty of good players come through this town that have gone on to have great success in the NHL and that continue to come back in the off-season. It must not be all that bad.

Old
08-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSanchez15 View Post
I won't repeat the stories I heard about Michael Fine and what he did before they finally sent him home but if the story is true (which has been told to me by two different sources that don't know each other) then it was justified and surprising that it wasn't done long before that.
My issue with Michael Fine was not that they traded him, but the local paper who made it such a huge deal. Publishing photos stolen off of his personal facebook page seemed very low brow.

Other then that I do agree with pretty much everything you said. There are always a small amount of people who are heard louder then the majority.

EDIT: Awful spelling

Last edited by Tigers1992: 08-30-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old
08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Libbs

Quote:
My issue with Michael Fine was not that they traded him, but the local paper who made it such a huge deal. Publishing photos stolen off of his personal facebook page seemed very low brow.

Other then that I do agree with pretty much everything you said. There are always a small amount of people who are heard lower then the majority.
Except in Windsor where all Spits fans are evil monsters and the scourge of the OHL's underbelly

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:19 PM
dogsandwings

Well to be honest everyone i asked about the trade said almost the exact same thing: "Good riddance .." i would think we value loyalty more then a possible 100 points up here.
I love it how the city and it's fans gets attacked when they are not the ones who started this mess..which by the way worked out extremely good for us.
Torrie is another story..he deserves credit for this team which will i believe dominate this year and i was told by someone quite prominent in the organization that he turned down a 1 year deal.
As for Lambert he was a victim of Torries decisions and i think he was a good coach with a bad team.
Certainly a very good man.Torrie was not a fan favorite because he was never seen in the arena..he was upstairs somewhere .
Oshawa has a history with us and i am not surprised by any negative comments from that area..
99% of the fans supported Catenacci while he was here and even when he didn't produce...99% seem to feel the same way now ..
If you think about it logically he was treated extremely good ..why the heck would he want to leave a situation where everyone was for him??? Maybe someone can ask his dad....shades of Eric Lindros

Old
08-30-2011, 05:48 PM
ohlguy

There must be a very good reason to leave or else Cat would stay there, if everyone was there for him. By the way, at this level agents make the descisions not parents. I can assure you that Bobby Orr would drop a client like a hot potato if parents took over to make descisions. Also, I wouldn't be planning a parade as of yet up there, but it will be fun to watch how it all plays out. I'm hearing a few campers in Soo land are upset that Dubas continues to bring in clients he previously represented when he was an agent. Apparently better deals were also on the table for Catenacci from a number of teams that Dubas never executed in order to bring in his ex client.
This information comes from "reliable sources".

Old
08-30-2011, 08:41 PM
HLLYWD99

WHERE CAN A GUY FROM OWEN SOUND PICK UP SOME MEMORIAL CUP TICKETS????

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:27 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Agreed and odds are that was all Montague. Being the sports editor he probably had final call on what was published and what pictures went with it.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSanchez15 View Post
Agreed and odds are that was all Montague. Being the sports editor he probably had final call on what was published and what pictures went with it.
As much as I dislike Montague, cant put that one on him. The original article was posted on the 'Soo Today'.