HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Puck Daddy Hockey Guilty Pleasures: Mark Madden

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2011, 05:38 PM
  #1
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,546
vCash: 500
Puck Daddy Hockey Guilty Pleasures: Mark Madden





http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...rn=nhl-wp11430

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 06:30 PM
  #2
TopShelfGoal
Registered User
 
TopShelfGoal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sayre, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Wow, really??

Quote:
Here's a funny injury story: Penguins goalie J-S Aubin got knocked silly by a puck to the melon and had to be removed from a game up 2-0. Tom Barrasso replaced him, allowing three soft goals to lose, 3-2. At game's end, Barrasso stormed into the trainer's room and loudly berated a still-prone Aubin for being soft, for not playing hurt, and for letting the team down. Quite an ironic lecture coming from a guy who pulled the chute more than anyone, a known quitter/hypochondriac.

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 06:53 PM
  #3
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,583
vCash: 500


I have to believe Puck Daddy is just letting Madden hang himself. He can't actually LIKE this toolbag, can he? What a disgrace to Pittsburgh. The guy is so clearly living in the past, it makes my head spin that he actually has a job on the radio. Wake up Fat *******! It's 2011 ya dewsh!


I love how he talks out both sides of his mouth...

"Gary Bettman is mostly crap...

...but he helped save the Penguins so God bless him!"

And the team he secretly loves .... the HABS?!!? Are you ******** me? Does he not realize they're one of the most hated rivals here? We need to ship this guy off to Moronistan.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:06 PM
  #4
KaylaJ
Tungsten!
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 14,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfGoal View Post
Wow, really??
I'd heard that before as well, but Madden seems to be the only one who will talk about it except for Aubin who can't remember.


And while I think the idea of Guilty Pleasures is a good one, sometimes it seems Puck Daddy is scrapping the bottom of the barrel finding people.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:17 PM
  #5
Rob Scuderi
Registered User
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,714
vCash: 500
Puck Daddy probably just likes wrestling, WHAT WRESTLER IS YOUR TEAM PUCK DADDY SUMMER SPECIAL was either a year or two ago, and appreciates Madden's background that we all find juvenile.

Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:53 PM
  #6
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfGoal View Post
Wow, really??
The way Barrasso treated his to-be replacement in Aubin was nothing short of disgraceful...and Madden won't shy away from bringing it up at every opportunity possible. Still, I can't believe Barrasso wound up becoming a goalie coach. The guy was so protective of his job he refused to mentor Aubin, and here he is doing a damn good job of developing Cam Ward.


Anyway...any time you let Mark Madden talk bad things happen. I'd wonder how he has a job...but considering the average talk radio host he's pretty much average. The better question is why does anyone listens to talk radio?

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:15 PM
  #7
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,789
vCash: 500
Yeah, people talk about Jagr's moodiness. Barrasso was here first.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:17 PM
  #8
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng
 
Biz Nasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Piffsburgh
Posts: 2,004
vCash: 500
I simultaneously understand why a lot of people hate Mark Madden and, at the same time, I absolutely love him.

His style is not everyone's cup of tea, but you can't question the guy's love for the Pens and that in a town that is full of Steeler-first media types, Madden is probably the only guy who is Pens-first.

Biz Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:19 PM
  #9
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post

And the team he secretly loves .... the HABS?!!? Are you ******** me? Does he not realize they're one of the most hated rivals here? We need to ship this guy off to Moronistan.
Yeah....

.....I disagree.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:26 PM
  #10
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,789
vCash: 500
Yeah...I'm not really bothered by Montreal.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:34 PM
  #11
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Madden is easy to hate but he knows his stuff. I respect his opinion most of the time.

And no, montreal is not a team I'd consider a rival. This isn't 2009.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:36 PM
  #12
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,587
vCash: 500
The only reason I don't like Montreal is because of a portion of their fan base here...which puts them on par with about 10 other teams. I've got no real beef...they beat us, life moves on.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:23 PM
  #13
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Yeah....

.....I disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah...I'm not really bothered by Montreal.

I don't know. It's not Boston - Habs or anything but I seem to recall a whole lot of animosity at different points during regular season games and playoffs past when it comes to the Habs. Beside they're pretty much the Yankees of hockey, and everyone hates the Yankees.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:35 PM
  #14
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,789
vCash: 500
Toronto is the Yankees to me.

I have no problem with Montreal as a team. Their fans take the ****in cake though. They have the black Bobby Orr, did you hear?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:42 AM
  #15
Dread Pirate Roberts
Registered User
 
Dread Pirate Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mountain West
Country: United States
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Yeah....

.....I disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Yeah...I'm not really bothered by Montreal.
Philthydelphia and the Rags are our most hated rivals. The Devils are widely hated, too, just because they bore fans. Even the Islanders are probably a hated rival right now, what with Snow's recent classlessness and Gillies being a felon.

The Habs are like the Red Wings. Some of our fanbase hates them for their fanbase and because they could arguably be called the "Yankees of Hockey", others respect them, and some don't really care.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
  #16
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,789
vCash: 500
I would say Philly and Washington. Then the next tier would be the rest of the Atlantic.

I don't get too crazy amped for a hockey game, but nothing gives me more of a sick feeling in sports than losing to the Caps or the Flyers.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:00 AM
  #17
Burgs
Registered User
 
Burgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,849
vCash: 500
So Madden can actually be mildly entertaining as long as you don't have to listen to that voice.

As for rivals, I don't think the Rangers still qualify. Shaw/Graves slashing Mario was over 20 years ago plus they've never won a playoff round against us. The only thing I hate is that Sather keeps finding even dumber GMs to take some of his awful signings off his hands.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
  #18
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?
 
Sour Shoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Home of Black+Gold
Posts: 2,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
So Madden can actually be mildly entertaining as long as you don't have to listen to that voice.

As for rivals, I don't think the Rangers still qualify. Shaw/Graves slashing Mario was over 20 years ago plus they've never won a playoff round against us. The only thing I hate is that Sather keeps finding even dumber GMs to take some of his awful signings off his hands.
ok, here goes - my hate for the rangers developed during their pre-cap (Yankees style) team building. it hasn't faded one bit. what they did to the nhl pay scale from the mid 90s to early 00s was obscene. bobby ******* holik got $9 million?! the smaller cities were priced out of the FA market, and ultimately, once their own talented players were up for FA - they were gone or traded for pucks....or rico fata. the pens roster was poached until we iced an average AHL squad. to make matters worse, the self entitled dbags that they have for fans were enraged that the league didn't hand them crosby. they accuse the pens of "tanking" when their free spending rangers were the very reason why they sucked.

oh, and they brag about attendance. you know, cuz drawing 18k from a population of 22 million screams dedication. **** those clowns.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:48 AM
  #19
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Flyers and Caps are our true rivals at the moment. We hate them, they hate us. No Pens fan will ever miss a Flyers or Caps game if they can help it.

Then there are other teams. Red Wings, rest of the atlantic division, maybe even Habs can go in this category.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:20 PM
  #20
Dread Pirate Roberts
Registered User
 
Dread Pirate Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mountain West
Country: United States
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
I actually liked most of what Madden said in that article. We all secretly (or openly) loved that hit Kaspar put on Lindros, so let's not lie about it. The stories about Barr******* and Battleship Kelly and stuff were interesting.

Overall, I've seen worse from Madden.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:19 PM
  #21
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,972
vCash: 500
I enjoy watching us play the Wings most. I hate losing to the Caps/Flyers the most.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:28 PM
  #22
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 32,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Flyers and Caps are our true rivals at the moment. We hate them, they hate us. No Pens fan will ever miss a Flyers or Caps game if they can help it.

Then there are other teams. Red Wings, rest of the atlantic division, maybe even Habs can go in this category.
Flyers and Rags for me, mostly because their fans have been absolute tools over the years on this board. It has gotten better as the mods have patrolled the GDT's much more rigerously than they used to, but our threads became unreadable when we played them, and often when we did not. Hell, I hate every team from NY and Philly, if there were a ten year old girl debate team from Philly or NYC I would boo them on principle until they cried. Wings fans for the same reason, but not the the degree.

Caps' fans I get on well enough with overall. Most have been pretty respectful even in disagreeing with me in the large number of Ovechkin/Crosby debates over the years. Ovechkin I grew to dislike from his runs at Malkin. aside from that I have nothing against him or the team.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:59 PM
  #23
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist
 
TravisUlrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,821
vCash: 500
‎"When you blame and criticize others, you are avoiding some truth about yourself." ~Deepak Chopra

I'm going to have to think long and hard here because I've criticized Mark Madden a lot in the past...

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:20 PM
  #24
invictus
Registered User
 
invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,159
vCash: 500
I hate the Flyers most. Always and forever. There is a huge Flyers fan in my Russian class this semester. I almost brought her to tears by continually asking about the strategy behind moving Carter and Richards (her most beloved player)

Red Wings are second for me. Mainly because of their fans and the job the mods do on the main board. I recall after the Cup win that a thread made about Crosby not shaking Lidstrom's hand was so classless. When a counter thread was made pointing out Lidstrom was the one that left the ice first, it was locked. Also, their fans can't seem to get over the fact that they lost in the Finals and that Crosby is simply a better player than any one individual on their team.

Also, a bit OT, but I recall seeing things on the main board like "Anyone who writes 7uongo or Ro8erto" or whatever it is would get an infraction. However, any posts about the Penguins tanking (which is absolute ******** and has been debunked countless times) is allowed to be accepted as fact.

Anyway, this is probably getting deleted so whatever.

But, honestly, the Caps don't bug me that much. It is hard for me to hate a team that never beats us in the playoffs. Same with the Rags.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:22 PM
  #25
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Flyers and Rags for me, mostly because their fans have been absolute tools over the years on this board. It has gotten better as the mods have patrolled the GDT's much more rigerously than they used to, but our threads became unreadable when we played them, and often when we did not. Hell, I hate every team from NY and Philly, if there were a ten year old girl debate team from Philly or NYC I would boo them on principle until they cried. Wings fans for the same reason, but not the the degree.

Caps' fans I get on well enough with overall. Most have been pretty respectful even in disagreeing with me in the large number of Ovechkin/Crosby debates over the years. Ovechkin I grew to dislike from his runs at Malkin. aside from that I have nothing against him or the team.
Interesting. I never viewed the Rags as a rival,just a divisional opponent so their games are slightly more important. I don't dislike anyone on their team besides Avery. Nor do Pens/Rangers games excite me more than the average season game, as they're always mediocre.

I usually don't associate my opinion of fans with my opinion of the team. Hell, I don't even know any Rangers or Capitals fans.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.