HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Bickell (Hawks) for Boyle

Old
08-30-2011, 07:44 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Bickell (Hawks) for Boyle

Just wanted to get a feel for what Rangers fan would think about this deal. I think it would work for the Rangers because Bickell is a physical left winger, had similar offensive production to Boyle last year, plays a solid defensive game, and most importantly only carries a cap hit of 540k for the next 2 seasons.

Most of the depth charts I have seen for the Rangers have Boyle on the third line LW spot, which is where Bickell played last year for the Hawks. So if you can replace Boyle production and have cap flexibility for any injuries or trades that come up would you guys do this? Would this be a good base for a deal?

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
We need Boyle for the same reason you need Boyle. A bottom 6er with size and can score.

Bickell is nice, but redundant for the Rangers IMO since he won't play on the top 2 lines.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
Just wanted to get a feel for what Rangers fan would think about this deal. I think it would work for the Rangers because Bickell is a physical left winger, had similar offensive production to Boyle last year, plays a solid defensive game, and most importantly only carries a cap hit of 540k for the next 2 seasons.

Most of the depth charts I have seen for the Rangers have Boyle on the third line LW spot, which is where Bickell played last year for the Hawks. So if you can replace Boyle production and have cap flexibility for any injuries or trades that come up would you guys do this? Would this be a good base for a deal?
Boyle will most likely be playing on the 4th line this season with Brandon Prust and Mike Rupp. I'm pretty sure that Fedotenko will get the third line wing spot -- to answer your question, no thanks. The Rangers already have a physically gifted winger who doesn't use the assets he was born with to succeed. Bickell is luxury depth, but Boyle is, all-around, a better player than Bickell, high cap hit or not. Moving Boyle for Bickell makes the Rangers a worse team now, and they won't weaken the team for $1.2M in cap space.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

vCash: 500
Get that outta here

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
no thanks

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:09 PM
skroob**

Quote:

If this is such a sweet deal for us, what is in it for you? If Boyle and Bickell are so similar but Bickell is cheaper, then you do YOU want do make the trade?

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:17 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
If this is such a sweet deal for us, what is in it for you? If Boyle and Bickell are so similar but Bickell is cheaper, then you do YOU want do make the trade?
Because Bickell is a winger and Boyle can play center. Getting Boyle would push Bolland to the second line and Sharp to the wing. Boyle may be a lateral move for us production wise despite his higher cap hit, but the fact that he can play center and give us some depth at our weakest position makes this trade work for us. We can afford the higher cap hit and still have flexibility, because from the comments Bowman has made if Olesz doesn't earn a roster spot he will be in the AHL and thats another 3 mil of our cap. If he does earn a spot that will push someone else off our cap and still put us around 2 mil under the cap to start the season.

If you guys don't think its a fair offer thats fine by me. I was just wondering if something like that could work to the benefit of both teams.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:31 PM
ruckus*

Boyle might definitely be a guy to sell high on, but I'm not doing it for Bickell.

Boyle is one of several players that provides multiple things on the ice, and can play up if needed.

Our team is not making any significant changes going into the season, and they shouldn't.

It's put up or shut up time, and really this season is a measuring stick. Are we where we think we are or not? Let's find out.

We're not moving Boyle unless it's overpayment coming back right now.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Callahan4C

Boyle I think is a key part of this team...hopefully he can be on the rise and improve even more from last season

Callahan4C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Nooo, noo Bickel We need more lemon pledge..

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Claxton

Don't want to trade Boyle. You can tell he is a strong presence in the locker room, on top of the other attributes he brings. And one thing the Rangers are finally starting to do is building a strong team chemistry instead of dismantling the team every off-season.

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:11 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Why the hell do we need Bickell? Boyle was great last year. Even if he doesnt repeat last season's success he is a big body who has improved his skating greatly. Not a chance this deal would ever happen.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:43 AM
LotsOfHags
Hag You Much

Send a message via AIM to LotsOfHags Send a message via Yahoo to LotsOfHags
If Boyle plays the way he did last year, definitley not. He is a heart and soul kind of guy and great for the locker room as well. Id rather have Boyle at C with the #4 Line rather then EC.

No thanks but not bad of an offer, saw plenty of nonsense over the summer from others.

LotsOfHags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:46 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

Bickell is physical when he wants to be and is not that great defensively. It wasn't until paired with Bolland who is our best defensive C that his flaw was hidden

Boyle makes no sense to Hawks as we have Toews/Sharp/Bolland as our 1-3 C's already and LW is area the Hawks are thin at already so moving Bickell would make it even worse

Rangers wouldn't do it because they are moving a guy in Boyle who is better defensive player , more physical and has as much upside/potential then Bickell

Also why would the Hawks break up what was a pretty impressive 3rd line in playoffs that showed alot of potential/chemistry

Bickell-Bolland-Frolik if they play like they did together in playoffs could be one of the best 3rd lines in NHL if not the best

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:56 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

No way in hell.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Nooo, noo Bickel We need more lemon pledge..
that was actually my facebook status yesterday

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:46 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I'd do it.

I think that Bickell uses his size more than Boyle does and can provide the same kind of offence.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:47 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
that was actually my facebook status yesterday
Lol! every time I see consuela say it it makes me giggle.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
MacTruck
In Gordie We Trust

I respectfully decline. Boyle is the perfect 3rd/4th line center. He's very versatile and can score goals when needed. Our bottom 6 is perhaps one of the best in the league and adding Bickell just adds to it, which, in theory, isnt a bad thing, but we need more top 6 wingers.

Moving Bickell for Boyle is merely just addition by subtraction at this point, and it doesn't really benefit either side enough where a trade would be warranted.

Value is close though, and it is much better than any thing else I've seen lately.

MacTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

no thanks. we have plenty of bottom 6 players on our roster and in our system to choose from. We don't need to send one for another. Excited to see what further improvements Boyle can make. If he had put in a second half effort like his first half, he would have been a mighty force. maybe even pushing close to 30 goals.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:32 PM
richardsequalscup*

I always feel late bloomers like Bickel are good in the playoffs when they hit 27-30. It just makes no sense because if Boyle puts up another 20 goal season, is excellent on the PK and defensively at even strength, the Rangers can get a better return.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:01 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

i counter with:

Rangers get John Scott

Hawks get Erik Christensen

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:39 AM
pcakes87

Boyle has a lot of value to NYR. He and Prust are great together, and when you throw Rupp in the mix that is an awesome checking line.

pcakes87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:05 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
seriously? Bickell?

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:06 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Bickell is physical when he wants to be and is not that great defensively. It wasn't until paired with Bolland who is our best defensive C that his flaw was hidden

Boyle makes no sense to Hawks as we have Toews/Sharp/Bolland as our 1-3 C's already and LW is area the Hawks are thin at already so moving Bickell would make it even worse

Rangers wouldn't do it because they are moving a guy in Boyle who is better defensive player , more physical and has as much upside/potential then Bickell

Also why would the Hawks break up what was a pretty impressive 3rd line in playoffs that showed alot of potential/chemistry

Bickell-Bolland-Frolik if they play like they did together in playoffs could be one of the best 3rd lines in NHL if not the best
Boyle can play on the wing, and I believe it's left wing he prefers. I'd be surprised if he didn't make a full-time switch there soon in his career.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote