HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Odds that Patrick Sharp plays center vs wing

View Poll Results: Odds that Sharpie's a CENTER to begin the 2011-12 season
25% 6 17.14%
50% 7 20.00%
75% 11 31.43%
100% 11 31.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-19-2011, 07:44 PM
CommittedIndians

vCash: 500
Odds that Patrick Sharp plays center vs wing

Want to gauge thoughts from the community at large:

Does Patrick Sharp start the year as the second line center, or is he on the prime time top line w/ 19 & 88?

Personal opinion: start him between Hossa & Frolik, let Brunette skate w/ Toews & Kane. Really want to see Frolik opposite Hossa no matter the center.

CommittedIndians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 07:53 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
I'd think Sharp on the top line and Brunette on the 3rd line at ES as well as the top PP unit is better. Toews and Kane are both very fast players, and I don't think that meshes as well with a slowwwww guy like Brunette when you're playing the full length of the ice and want to create offence.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 08:36 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

If Sharp was going to be a centre, he would have been a centre last year when we had 0 depth and we were coming off a Cup with Sharp as a centre. I know he played some centre last year, but always ended up back on wing, which is where I think he'll spend the majority of the season this year.

HockeySensible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Cullksinikers

Sharp will be a center until the trade deadline. That's where we nab a center and we get the Sharp-Toews-Kane line back together.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2011, 11:13 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I bet he starts with the STK line and Toews-Bolland-Kruger-Mayers down the middle. It all depends on how Kruger fares. Either he does well and moves up a line or another center is needed at the deadline.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 01:13 AM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Sharp will be a center until the trade deadline. That's where we nab a center and we get the Sharp-Toews-Kane line back together.
Agreed. The only time we'll see STK before then will be when we're down late in the 3rd.

MadhouseOnMadison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:44 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I think we will start the season with STK, at least Game 1 & 2

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Recoil

I think its almost certain he starts the year at Center. The only way he doesn't is if Kruger impresses the hell out of everyone in camp and preseason and takes the #3 C spot. I'm just not seeing that quick of a leap forward for Kruger yet, so I think Sharp starts on the 2nd line centering Hossa and Frolik.

I see lines of:
Burnette-Toews-Kane
Frolik-Sharp-Hossa
Bickell-Bolland-Olesz
Carcillo/Smith-Mayers-Stalberg

(Carcillo is out the first two games of the year)

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 10:34 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Quote:
I'm thinking this, too.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:42 AM
LandofLincoln

I think it depends on how we match-up with opponents. There is going to need to be a rotation of healthy scratches this year unlike last year. Healthy scratches including a rotation of players.

The following guys will not play all 82 games 65-75 games from the following. Some of these guys are candidates for healthy scratches. O'Donnell, Scott,Stalberg, Mayers, Carcillo, Kruger & Smith. I think Kruger & Smith are less likely than the others to be healthy scratches.

Games that Kruger gets scratched impact the third line. Bolland would play 3line center, and that may impact the repositioning of Sharp.

What we have seen from Coach Q is this type of mentality there is no set lines. Carcillo is out the first 2 games not that it really matters a whole lot. Yet it does matter? Do they move Mayers to wing and have Kruger center the 4th line. If Kruger is centering 4th who's on 3rd? And if Mr. B is doing that... Who's on second? And if he is on second then he probably is not on first? So who is on first for games one and two to start the season?

Games 3 & 4 when Carcillo returns who is scratched? Well Q looks at the opponent to determine if he wants to go physical, needs an extra D-man, or wants speed or energy. I like the options this year. We didn't have the options last year, but we did with the Cup Team. I think depending on how Q plays the roster from the 4th line depends on how he plays the 3rd line the 2nd line and the 1st line.

The majority of coaches do the opposite. Most rosters are built filling out the top two lines and whatever falls into place from there ends up between the 3rd and 4th line.

It is a luxury to be able to look at the 4th line figure out which way you want to go with it... Then from there make a decision where to play Kruger or Bolland depending on the opponent.

I think Sharp Toews Kane will see time together in the first 5 games. I don't see it as a permanent thing. I don't even see it as a starting lineup persae. I've gotten used to the mix and matching and think it is good to do. Guys need to be familiar with other players outside their linemates. Injuries happen and when they do it is easier transition for a team that has been juggling lines.

I do believe that the Hawks stand to get an upgrade at the center position around the trade deadline. I think that could put Sharp on the top line like a few posters have mentioned. Even if we land Weiss as a second line center.-- I still always forever see Q juggling lines, and I like it because I think it has a way of bringing guys together. It has a way of making the third line guy want to do things he normally couldn't do. A third liner playing on the top line picking up a goal or an assist has a way of energizing the role player. Coach Q is brilliant at getting value out of guys like Brower, Kopecky, Versteeg, Smith, Bickell. Role players that get opportunities because of the juggling act.

--That said it is also the reason that the Blackhawks may not see a 40 goal scorer or a player hit 100 points.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Come on, we all know Coach Q... there is no doubt that Sharp will play plenty of both.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 10:15 PM
VicMakky
Rookie User

Quote:
I also agree with this. I think the Hawks look to rent-a-center for the second half of the year. They trade for a guy with an expiring contract and move Sharp back to the wing.

If no one who fits that description is available then they won't make a trade and Sharp will be at center the rest of the year.

I think it has to be an expiring contract because Sharp's and Seabrook's extentions kick in next year and their cap hits increase a combined $4.3 million.

VicMakky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Puckgenius*

Would love to see McDonald in Chicago, he can play 2nd line C and run a 2a, 2b combo with Bolland. This would also allow the Hawks to move Sharp back to the wing and re-unite his big shot with Toews and Kane on the top line. Blues are stacked at Centre with Berglund as their #1, Backes (even though a natural winger) plays thier 2nd line C and then they got Laich and Sobotka.

Sharp-Toews-Kane
Brunette-McDonald-Hossa
Bickell-Bolland-Frolik
Olesz/Smith-Kruger-Carcillo

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:54 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
No way Blues would give McDonald to a division rival.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:43 PM
sketch22

vCash: 50
Even if Sharp is on the wing I'd rather him be on the second line most of the time. I'd rather have Bruno take of Buff's old role of going to the net and tapping home easy goals on the first line. Then you can have Sharp on the second line with Hossa. If Sharp is the center put Kruger on the wing and let him feed the puck to those two. If Sharp is on the wing with Bolland at center, you get a two-way line that can match up against anybody and come out on top. Then you can put Kruger between Frolik and Bickell. Kruger likes to pass, Frolik likes to shoot, and hopefully Bickell will start using his size and driving the net. Three solid lines of scoring.

If you stack Sharp on the top line you get possibly the best top line the league. But then you have Bruno with Hossa and either Bolland or Kruger. Bruno is good at once he does, but I don't think he will fit well with Hossa puck possession game. Hossa seems to play his best in transition and when he can move and cycle the puck. Whatever line Bolland is on is going to be our checking line and Bruno while not bad defensively probably doesn't posses the wheels to keep up with Bolland's hard checking, quick transition of defense to offense. Kruger could fit well in that circumstance, feeding Hossa and Bruno, but I don't want to rush him into a top 6 spot. No matter who plays on the third line with Frolik and Bickell, I'd expect it to provide scoring depth and be hard to play against.

Personally I would rather Q spread the wealth offensively so all three lines can run people over. We have more depth on D this year than in our Cup year and possibly more depth overall this year than our cup year. No reason to put all of our eggs in one basket. Even if it is a very tempting basket.

sketch22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:01 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Laich signed with the Blues? they added Arnott, Laich resigned IIRC

I'd rather go after Berglund and offer our Farm for him.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote