HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Arch City Army Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

vCash: 500
This thread is just hilarious. People complaining about people bringing life to an arena? Is that a joke? Try going to ANY sporting event in Philadelphia and realize why athletes hate playing there if they are the opposing team.

Old
08-30-2011, 05:24 PM
cbjpointman
It begins here

As a lower bowl PSL holder, I really don't hear them nor have much of an opinion. If they are having fun and being respectful of other CBJ fans, go for it.

I will say that it is unlikely booster group can do anything to make Nationwide more enjoyable for fans or hard on opposing teams. Success on those two fronts will only come from the team on the ice. A winning team will get people into games (as well as put fanny's in seats). Anyone who believes otherwise is crazy imo.

Ever hear of someone paying to go to a game because the crowd was awesome, but the team sucked? Maybe for 1 game, but certainly not for 41 games a year.

Old
08-30-2011, 06:11 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
This thread is just hilarious. People complaining about people bringing life to an arena? Is that a joke? Try going to ANY sporting event in Philadelphia and realize why athletes hate playing there if they are the opposing team.
That's just it they did not "bring life to an arena". They failed at it badly last year with their random soccer chants (that just do not fit in a hockey arena) and somewhat disrespectful actions. At no time last year can I remember them getting the crowd going and at no time were they heard in more then 1/8 of the arena. It would be nice if they could fix their problems and help bring life to the arena, we will just have to see what they can do over 41 games this season instead of just 5 games this past season.

Old
08-30-2011, 06:15 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 670
One recommendation to the ACA: Ban members from wearing Asian counterfeit jerseys. You already have a reputation of being johhny-come-lately soccer fans who have recently discovered they have a hockey team in Columbus. It only compounds your image problems with $20 dollar fake jersey's with the wrong fonts bought off ebay.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:28 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

According to aggregate site Metacritic, this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
One recommendation to the ACA: Ban members from wearing Asian counterfeit jerseys. You already have a reputation of being johhny-come-lately soccer fans who have recently discovered they have a hockey team in Columbus. It only compounds your image problems with $20 dollar fake jersey's with the wrong fonts bought off ebay.
...is the highest-rated burn in this thread.

On a serious front, last year the ACA was just getting it's legs under them, and they did a respectable job in the time they had to make it work. I expect bigger and better things from them this year.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm glad another fan club has started. If you guys realize the Heatley chant was over the top, good. The name ACA is for another city, but whatever.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:49 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
LOL. This post wins the Internet.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:51 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

I give an "A" for effort.

Seriously, do some people actively look for crap to nitpick about? These folks are having a good time and trying to liven up the experience a little. Good on them.

Old
08-30-2011, 08:55 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Our crowd noise is pathetic most games. (which is no surprise considering a lot are also Buckeye fans )

We need all the help we can get so I love the idea of having Arch City Army. The more loud and intimidating our building, the better off we we are. Now we just need a better product for more fans to catch on.

Oh and Howitzer, just STOP. You're aging yourself with every post.

Last edited by kidAcbj: 08-30-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old
08-30-2011, 09:02 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

When the ACA started, I was immediately taken with the idea behind what they were trying to accomplish. I thought the name wasnt right, and when they asked for input and suggestions, I put in my .02, but the leadership had clearly already decided that was the name they were going with. I still think it's not the best name, but I also don't really care for "Blue Jackets" either, so what do I know?

Whatever the name, the idea is sound and the guys behind it are alright. I think their heart is in the right place and time will tell how big the commitment is, or how true the interest is if we face another march out of the playoff race. I'm a little bothered by things like friends being harassed by ACA members though. A friend of mine took quite a bit of inappropriate abuse from some ACA members, and even one of the leaders last season. Another friend has been repeatedly trolled on here for having the audacity to win something at cannonfest. There's no place for that. There's no reason to be an ass to a fellow fan inside or outside the arena. any ACA member who notices another member being inappropriate with a fellow CBJ fan should immediately put a stop to it.

That's really the only tip that I have...don't be asshats. The bad chants will work themselves out just like the good ones will catch on. The thing to realize is that the best chants are often not thought up ahead of time, but grown organically. All those great things that OSU fans enjoy these days are pretty much things that just started in the student section one day...they certainly weren't well planned. The well planned things are usually the stinkers.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
I give an "A" for effort.

Seriously, do some people actively look for crap to nitpick about? These folks are having a good time and trying to liven up the experience a little. Good on them.
If they get the "perks" free when I am shelling out PSL money for the same treatment... then that's a little bigger than nitpicking, IMO. Pretty sure most PSL holders would be pretty pissed if this comes to pass.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Post of the thread right here.

I think I speak not just for myself, but all the other jersey guys on here, when I say that I'd be happy to help the ACA track down deals on CBJ jerseys from all eras if it means that the bootlegs are discarded (and incinerated). Besides, if you want to go retro, what better way to do it than with a Stinger-patched original jersey with a Hannes Hyvonen customization?

Old
08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Post of the off season.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:50 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
If they get the "perks" free when I am shelling out PSL money for the same treatment... then that's a little bigger than nitpicking, IMO. Pretty sure most PSL holders would be pretty pissed if this comes to pass.
A fair point.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:13 AM
jag72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
From what they are paying it looks like that they are paying the PSL free. The PSL pre looks to be added into their ticket price on the ACA site. If they aren't paying it them somebody is pocketing some extra cash with the ticket sales.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:39 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I have never really gotten the whole lower bowl hate that gets thrown around. I have sat in 105 since day 1, and I will put it up against any section in the Nat for making noise.

Quite frankly, I don't hear a lot of noise from the upper bowl. Does that mean that they are not making noise? No. It just means that due to the cheering in the lower bowl, I can't discern how much noise the upper bowl might be making. I would bet that that would work the same way for those in the upper bowl when it comes to being able to hear how much noise is being made in the lower bowl. I have heard many a "let's go Jackets" chant start in the lower bowl.

Now the Club lvl, that is a different story.

Like I said, I like the ACA. I would rather they be buying up tickets rather than Pittsburgh, Detroit, or Buffalo fans.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:54 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
As a Sharks fan living in Columbus, I also have a hard time with the complaints. They are BEGGING for fans to show up to keep the team here.

Jackets need a bigger army.

08-31-2011, 06:59 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
As a Sharks fan living in Columbus, I also have a hard time with the complaints. They are BEGGING for fans to show up to keep the team here.

Jackets need a bigger army.
Does ACA help, hurt, or irrelevant in bringing in new fans? I'd say the last, at least to being a net neutral. So complaining about the complainers probably isn't going to make much of a difference anyway.

It's nice that they are adding a few PSL's by their mere existence, but beyond that, while the team is bad, their efforts are going to bring mixed results. They are going to annoy some, others are going to like. But hardly anyone is going to come or leave because they exist.

Old
08-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Does ACA help, hurt, or irrelevant in bringing in new fans? I'd say the last, at least to being a net neutral. So complaining about the complainers probably isn't going to make much of a difference anyway.
I'll answer this in reverse. I went to my first Crew game in 2007 because the NHL draft prospects were there. I ended up with seats near the Nordecke, and got sucked into the excitement that was going on there. While I've never been a huge soccer fan, I kept telling my wife that she needed to see a game live, because of the energy and excitement I experienced there. Finally last season we went to a game and had a great time, again, partly because it seemed that the fans were having such a great time.

Old
08-31-2011, 08:13 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'll answer this in reverse. I went to my first Crew game in 2007 because the NHL draft prospects were there. I ended up with seats near the Nordecke, and got sucked into the excitement that was going on there. While I've never been a huge soccer fan, I kept telling my wife that she needed to see a game live, because of the energy and excitement I experienced there. Finally last season we went to a game and had a great time, again, partly because it seemed that the fans were having such a great time.
I have no doubt it can influence some people. On the flip side, my enjoyment is not influenced by the impression that those around me are "having a great time" so I have a hard time relating.

I'm glad you enjoy that environment. I have a hard time believing that it will translate to more then a couple of hundred fans in the long run. At least until we get some real improvement in on-ice results. If we think this is going to make much of a difference in a 4-1 loss on a Tuesday night to the Kings, we've probably set our bar a little high. We don't need help with the Wings, Pens, etc. We need help with those 3-1 games (trailing) late in the second period to a less interesting team on a weekday. I don't see this making much of a difference in those situations.

I'll have to get a better feel for what they are about at the arena. But if it's that Euro model of "energy", it won't do much for me. I've sat through that in some misc sporting events and it just tends to annoy me after a while. Of course, some consider me a fairly unique individual so it could end up being all the rage with the majority. Based on this thread, I'm not sure that is the case. Sounds a bit polarizing.

Last edited by blahblah: 08-31-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old
08-31-2011, 08:27 AM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

I have little to no tolerance for fans taunting their own fans. So if that is truly going on, then someone needs to stop that nonsense now. It's one of the main reasons that I don't go to Browns games anymore, too much drunken morons picking fights with whoever is around.

Old
09-09-2011, 12:37 PM
robo1
Jordin Tootoo sucks

Personally, I love the idea, and I am glad that they are there. I was unaware of the chants about the persons death, but other than that, I love anyone who is going to support OUR Blue Jackets. More power to them, and to be honest, I must never sit near them because I don't even know which Upper bowl section they sit in.

Old
09-09-2011, 01:15 PM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo1 View Post
Personally, I love the idea, and I am glad that they are there. I was unaware of the chants about the persons death, but other than that, I love anyone who is going to support OUR Blue Jackets. More power to them, and to be honest, I must never sit near them because I don't even know which Upper bowl section they sit in.
Section #227 The "Heatley killed a guy" was a chant they started, once, during the Sharks game. They quickly realized it was out-of-limits and stopped, but the detractors will never let them live that down.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
09-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
I have little to no tolerance for fans taunting their own fans. So if that is truly going on, then someone needs to stop that nonsense now. It's one of the main reasons that I don't go to Browns games anymore, too much drunken morons picking fights with whoever is around.
I agree with this. And I sincerely believe that the founders and many members have their hearts in the right place. A few bad apples have really soured the reputation for the bunch. Once that has been taken care of and the action of the few who do taunt other fans or demonstrate disrepect to the other organized fan groups is eliminated, they will earn a much better overall rep.

It is not us against them IE: upper v lower bowl, ACA v Jacket Backers or Reclaim Our Barn, etc. My hope is we can all carry the flag together one day.
(cue sappy music...)

Last edited by Derby: 09-09-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Comma corrections, , ,
Old
09-09-2011, 06:23 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
So, I clicked this link from the main hfboards page under the Central division thinking it would lead me to a post about the Blues...

Good for you guys to have something like this at your games. Its pretty sweet and I wish them the best of luck.

this man just layed it out perfectly

re: psl's.... just because you got suckered into buying one doesn't mean others have to suffer

Closed Thread