HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matthew Lombardi on the radio & Declared Symptom Free

Old
08-31-2011, 12:22 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Land View Post
It'll be a good boost to our lineup if Lombardi can be ready for the season. I hope we don't rush him in. Just let him take his time.
I say we put him on a line with Kadri and Armstrong that would be a solid 3rd line

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:53 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Great news. The situation he was in before the trade, it seemed like there was a chance he'd never play hockey again.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:02 AM
TML4eva*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I say we put him on a line with Kadri and Armstrong that would be a solid 3rd line
I agree, with Lombardi speed, kadri playmaking skills, and Armstrong grinding abilities it will be a great 3rd scoring line.

TML4eva* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Finnish your Czech
BestPosterAvailable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Land View Post
I agree, with Lombardi speed, kadri playmaking skills, and Armstrong grinding abilities it will be a great 3rd scoring line.
and who will score

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:19 AM
Gike Bagpipe
Haemorrhaging syrup

Actually, Lombardi himself said he was back working out and skating when he was interviewed on the radio, and that he hoped to be back by training camp but couldn't concrete an answer on whether or not that would be a given and at least be back by the season start. It all balances on if it's smooth sailing or any symptoms re-appear, by listening to the interview and judging by lombardi's attitude, speech patterns and sense of humour I would say that he certainly is on a good path toward recovery.

Gike Bagpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:25 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
you are underestimating how long it takes to get into game shape

i'm not sure what stage of recovery he's at now (he said on radio he's skating) but he'll have to go through heavy contact drills

i would think the leafs would give him at least a month of these to see if he's ready, to make sure the symptoms don't come back

you can't give him 1 or two real practices and be like 'ok no symptoms, throw him into the game'
i'm sure the leafs want to do things right so he's with us for a long time

i'm thinking in nov sometime would be reasonable for return, if there are no setbacks
And you are under-estimating how much time he still has. He has about three weeks until the first pre-season game, after that he has 8-9 pre-season games to get ready. Yeah he may miss a week or two to begin the year but it's august 31st and he's symptom free. To me he has a lot of time still to be pretty close to game shape when the season starts. One guy said we should keep him out until January...come on.

P.S who said the team is going to throw him into a game after 1 or two practices? That is why we have a pre-season, he will get plenty of ice-time to figure how close or far he is to being ready for the regular season. If he's symptom free there is no reason to keep him out of a pre-season game.

Last edited by Stats01: 08-31-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:01 AM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Ah, I love Lombo but I think this might be his last kick at the can. Darrien Hatcher nearly destroyed his career with a vicious concussion in 2004 and he's been in and out for years. I hope he does well here, but I think his NHL career won't last much longer with his head problems.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:51 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
Ah, I love Lombo but I think this might be his last kick at the can. Darrien Hatcher nearly destroyed his career with a vicious concussion in 2004 and he's been in and out for years. I hope he does well here, but I think his NHL career won't last much longer with his head problems.
I love all the certified physicians in here. Thanks for the input "Dr." Walkingthroughforest.

This is Lombardi's first serious concussion and the second of his career... if I had a dollar for every player in the NHL who has suffered a concussion I would be richer than all of you.. (even the dr's like walkingthroughforest).

He's played it completely safe, sat out a full season as he needed to do, has been checked over and over again and is now symptom free. He's not coming back early like Crosby, who suffered 2 concussions in 4 games. Lombardi should be just fine... it won't be difficult for him to be the same player.

Also as an aside... by quick look of Derian Hatcher's injury history, he never once suffered a serious concussion. From what I can see and remember he had multiple leg injuries including a torn ACL and two knee surgeries. Lets keep our heads on straight here gentlemen.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Mogwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Also as an aside... by quick look of Derian Hatcher's injury history, he never once suffered a serious concussion. From what I can see and remember he had multiple leg injuries including a torn ACL and two knee surgeries. Lets keep our heads on straight here gentlemen.
Bingo Bongo.

Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:13 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Wasn't expecting this, but glad to see it! Hopefully he's 100%, I guess we won't really know until he starts playing.

08-31-2011, 08:29 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 1005
Everyone wants to stay positive and it's nice to have goals. Being symptom free is great. But to expect someone who hasn't worked out at intense levels for a full year to suddenly jump into an NHL lineup is being extremely optimistic. Compare his time off to Lupul, who was out for a different reason, but his fitness level was probably in the same state. It took him until December to get back into the lineup, then into the new year to play near to his old level.

Lombardi is roughly on the same schedule, having just been cleared of PCS he will be maybe at best 3 weeks ahead of where lupul was at. The thing is, with Lupul, once they figured out what the problem was it was just a matter of time before he came back.

Of course this is all good news for Lombardi who must have thought his career was over on some dark days, and it's even better that the Leafs have some depth that they don't need to rush him and put him the best possible situation to continue his career.

The best part of all this may be the fact the Leafs get 2 (Lupul and Lombardi) top 6 players as well as 2 top propects in Gardiner and Franson for what essentially comes down to Beauchemin.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:46 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Everyone wants to stay positive and it's nice to have goals. Being symptom free is great. But to expect someone who hasn't worked out at intense levels for a full year to suddenly jump into an NHL lineup is being extremely optimistic. Compare his time off to Lupul, who was out for a different reason, but his fitness level was probably in the same state. It took him until December to get back into the lineup, then into the new year to play near to his old level.

Lombardi is roughly on the same schedule, having just been cleared of PCS he will be maybe at best 3 weeks ahead of where lupul was at. The thing is, with Lupul, once they figured out what the problem was it was just a matter of time before he came back.

Of course this is all good news for Lombardi who must have thought his career was over on some dark days, and it's even better that the Leafs have some depth that they don't need to rush him and put him the best possible situation to continue his career.

The best part of all this may be the fact the Leafs get 2 (Lupul and Lombardi) top 6 players as well as 2 top propects in Gardiner and Franson for what essentially comes down to Beauchemin.
I agree with you about the second part for sure. Those deadline moves last year could be a real turning point for this franchise, even if we don't see it yet.

As for the Lupul Lombardi comparison... I think there's a HUGE difference. With PCS, sure you can't workout, but theres nothing to rehab. It's not like you're rehabbing your brain, you're just waiting for the headaches, vertigo etc. to go away. Its a healing process.

Lupul was a completely different story. He had back surgery, which means that he had to rehab his back and get it strong and durable once again. He also had a dangerous blood desease that caused him to go from 205 to 170lbs.

The two situations are quite different. In one situation you're physically capable, just not as fit as you need to be. In another situation you're not even physically capabale and need to do serious work and rehab in order to become physically capable, and then worry about getting into proper game fitness.

Old
08-31-2011, 09:37 AM
mpolo

saying he is symptom free is misleading.

As I recall, the steps to recovery are:

1. Wait until symptom free in normal activities
2. Wait until symptom free in light skating drills
3. Wait until symptom free in full practice
4. Get medical clearance to play, try to play and see what happens.

At any step along the way, symptoms may surface/re-surface and you have to take a step back and try again. Thus, no timetable....

Last edited by mpolo: 08-31-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: grammar
mpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Dio666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpolo View Post

1. Wait until symptom free in normal activies
4. Get medical treatment to play, try to play and see what happens.

At any step along the way, symptoms may surface/re-surface and you have to take a step back and try again. Thus, no timetable....
Exactly!

We all just heard about Crosby at practice. He started feeling the symptoms when practicing at 90%.

Who knows? Every concussion is different. Fingers crossed that we have Lombardi back soon!

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:

1. Wait until symptom free in normal activies
4. Get medical treatment to play, try to play and see what happens.

This is exactly right. After my first concussion, I returned to work for a week and eventually it set me back ten-fold and I had to stay off for another three. It's an incredibly unpredictable injury to recover from and I'm not convinced you fully recover for at least the first year if it was a mid-grade or higher concussion.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Mogwai

Quote:

1. Wait until symptom free in normal activities
4. Get medical clearance to play, try to play and see what happens.

Sounds as though he is between 2 and 3 right now. He's skating around and stuff, but not going all out yet. Give him until around November and I can see him returning, but then getting hurt again, as is the luck with injury prone players who come to the Leafers

Mogwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:30 AM
nsleaf

Quote:
I love all the certified physicians in here. Thanks for the input "Dr." Walkingthroughforest.

This is Lombardi's first serious concussion and the second of his career... if I had a dollar for every player in the NHL who has suffered a concussion I would be richer than all of you.. (even the dr's like walkingthroughforest).

He's played it completely safe, sat out a full season as he needed to do, has been checked over and over again and is now symptom free. He's not coming back early like Crosby, who suffered 2 concussions in 4 games. Lombardi should be just fine... it won't be difficult for him to be the same player.

Are you a certified physician topched? You sound like you know a lot about these types of injuries. Pot calling the kettle black.

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

I'm sort of surprised by how a lot of us on here are assuming nobody else on hfb knows anything about concussions.

A lot of us on here play or have played hockey or at least some other physical sport, and many of us have probably had concussions first hand. So we know a thing or two about the recovery of concussions, and even know a thing or two about over coming a concussion and returning to play hockey.

Now the NHL level is different than what any of us played, I think, so there is some difference, but let's all be mindful of the knowledge each one of us posses at any given time.

Not to jump to the other extreme that says that everything, everyone says at every moment is valuable.

Anyways, Once Lambo has done a full no-contact practise and is good, then does a full contact practise, then we'll see whats up.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsleaf View Post
Are you a certified physician topched? You sound like you know a lot about these types of injuries. Pot calling the kettle black.
There was a slight difference actually.

I was merely comparing Lombardi's injury to past players who have suffered a concussion, suggesting that based on that chances are he will be just fine, and should be able to return to his previous playing levels.

Unlike the other poster I wasn't projecting that Lombardi's career is over based on zero evidence, and then trying to make a comparison to a player who suffered an ACL and Knee injury.

Old
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
Both great moves by Burke to use his available dollars (real and cap) to fill immediate needs and long term needs. Both these moves could go a long way in building us towards being a contender. Lupul and Lombardi both have very good chances to be worth their cap dollars on this team over the length of there contracts (next two years) and then you throw in that we got two highly regarded young Dman as well for essentially only Beauchemin and wow.

It smart moves like these that don't get the major headlines that give me a lot of confidence in Burke and Company.

Everybody looks at Chicago and raves about the Towes or Kane drafting like it was some genuis move for there GM to have his team suck and then draft the most highly regarded player at that time. But the real genuis of how that Chicago team was built was moves like getting Sharp and Versteeg for essentially nothing. Or getting the Hossa and Campbell contracts done to fill team needs well the team had a very good window to win the cup. The Campbell contract came back to bite them later and Chicago even admitted to overpaying at the time because they recognized they had a very short window and in the end he was probably best # 3 dman in the league and helped them win the cup so I'd take that tradeoff.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:34 AM
ACC1224

Quote:
There was a slight difference actually.

I was merely comparing Lombardi's injury to past players who have suffered a concussion, suggesting that based on that chances are he will be just fine, and should be able to return to his previous playing levels.

Unlike the other poster I wasn't projecting that Lombardi's career is over based on zero evidence, and then trying to make a comparison to a player who suffered an ACL and Knee injury.
I think he meant that Hatcher gave Lombardi a concussion in 2004?

Encouraging news. Although I'm not a Doctor, I do play one at home.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:40 AM
daveleaf

So what happens to Bozak when he comes back? 4th line? Trade, minors?

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Leafsfan64

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
So what happens to Bozak when he comes back? 4th line? Trade, minors?
Bozak stays with the Big club, Kadri goes.

Leafsfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:49 AM
stanleyorbust

Is it true that you are suppose to take the time it took you to be symptom free... and then wait that amount of time before resuming normal physical activities? I thought I heard that somewhere.

I think those predicting Lombardi will be back for training camp, or predicting a return date are premature. Symptom free does not mean ready... and he could be months out. If you look at the condition on this trade... Lombardi playing 60 games or more over the next two season, and Nashville gets another draft choice.. then I think you can plainly see where the leafs/predators rate Lombardi's recovery.

As much as Lombardi is saying he is saying he is symptom free, there are no leaf management quotes saying that he is ready, or any news on his medical clearance. I hope he comes back before the new year, but hey... its anyone's guess at this point until he sees a doctor.

stanleyorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:51 AM
daveleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan64 View Post
Bozak stays with the Big club, Kadri goes.
You're dreamin. Bozak doesn't have an ounce of skill that Kadri does.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote