HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Jagr Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-31-2011, 08:41 AM
  #26
schmidtlesauce
Registered User
 
schmidtlesauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmcd24 View Post
wasn't Ron Francis a lefty?
I believe so, but thats not the point lol. thats the most ridiculous statement ever. especially considering sid's backhand passes>>> 80% of nhl forwards forehands

schmidtlesauce is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 08:57 AM
  #27
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
For some reason people just lose their minds over this Jagr stuff.

I guess they thought Jagr owed them something, but it's really ridiculous. They just took a few positive but non-committal comments Jagr made about Pittsburgh and really ran with it way beyond what was reasonable.

Then people painted Jagr as a ******* for using standard negotiating tactics. They acted like he was a jerk for not accepting Shero's take-it-or-leave-it offer. Oh but it was a "good faith" offer? An offer is an offer. What needs to be "good faith" are the negotiations, and Shero refused to negotiate at all.

What Shero said was this. "Hey Jagr, we're willing to take you back but only on our terms. If you want to be in Pittsburgh then we're willing to have you, but this is our only offer, take it or leave it by 12 o'clock." So Jags didn't want to be cornered like that. String him up, right yinzers?

Dupree13 is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:10 AM
  #28
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
For some reason people just lose their minds over this Jagr stuff.

I guess they thought Jagr owed them something, but it's really ridiculous. They just took a few positive but non-committal comments Jagr made about Pittsburgh and really ran with it way beyond what was reasonable.

Then people painted Jagr as a ******* for using standard negotiating tactics. They acted like he was a jerk for not accepting Shero's take-it-or-leave-it offer. Oh but it was a "good faith" offer? An offer is an offer. What needs to be "good faith" are the negotiations, and Shero refused to negotiate at all.

What Shero said was this. "Hey Jagr, we're willing to take you back but only on our terms. If you want to be in Pittsburgh then we're willing to have you, but this is our only offer, take it or leave it by 12 o'clock." So Jags didn't want to be cornered like that. String him up, right yinzers?
Then don't gesture like Pittsburgh is your one and only. To be honest, the reason he even got an offer from Pittsburgh is because of what he said, IMO. As Shero said, he didn't extend an offer to get into a bidding war. He extended an offer because Jagr said he wanted to be in Pittsburgh. It's really that easy.

JTG is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:15 AM
  #29
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Then don't gesture like Pittsburgh is your one and only. To be honest, the reason he even got an offer from Pittsburgh is because of what he said, IMO. As Shero said, he didn't extend an offer to get into a bidding war. He extended an offer because Jagr said he wanted to be in Pittsburgh. It's really that easy.
I really don't think so. I don't recall the exact quotes, but I think it was more people hearing what they wanted to hear and running with it. Either way it's a common thing in free agent scenarios in all sports. They will often make friendly comments towards potential suitors. It doesn't mean that they are offering a discount, you still have to go make it happen.

Dupree13 is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM
  #30
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!
 
MetalheadPenguinsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,883
vCash: 50
Who gives a **** what he says.....

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:20 AM
  #31
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
 
Mario_is_BACK!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,089
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Don't forget that Shero wasn't the only one who made that offer. Two of the best GMs in the league (Shero and Holland) offered him the same money and both pulled out when they saw where it was going, a money grab by Jagr.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:21 AM
  #32
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
For some reason people just lose their minds over this Jagr stuff.

I guess they thought Jagr owed them something, but it's really ridiculous. They just took a few positive but non-committal comments Jagr made about Pittsburgh and really ran with it way beyond what was reasonable.

Then people painted Jagr as a ******* for using standard negotiating tactics. They acted like he was a jerk for not accepting Shero's take-it-or-leave-it offer. Oh but it was a "good faith" offer? An offer is an offer. What needs to be "good faith" are the negotiations, and Shero refused to negotiate at all.

What Shero said was this. "Hey Jagr, we're willing to take you back but only on our terms. If you want to be in Pittsburgh then we're willing to have you, but this is our only offer, take it or leave it by 12 o'clock." So Jags didn't want to be cornered like that. String him up, right yinzers?
Teams should only take players on their own terms - the teams that don't are the ones that suck. We had so much cap space we could use to comfortably accommodate Jagr, and Shero was up front about that from the very beginning.

There's a reason why Holland and Shero - the two best GMs in the business - gave up on Jagr, and the one that signed him also just blew up a team that was a year removed from a Finals berth and needed only a couple minor tweaks.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:24 AM
  #33
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I really don't think so. I don't recall the exact quotes, but I think it was more people hearing what they wanted to hear and running with it. Either way it's a common thing in free agent scenarios in all sports. They will often make friendly comments towards potential suitors. It doesn't mean that they are offering a discount, you still have to go make it happen.
Quote:
"We made our best offer from the start, given our salary cap structure, in an attempt to facilitate a deal. But now, after several days, with an extended time frame for making a decision, and additional teams getting involved, we have decided to move in a different direction. It was never our intention to get involved in a free agent bidding war, and we have to focus on our team.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=567951

Not mentioning, Detroit pulled their deal from the table mins after we did.

It was more than friendly comments...

Quote:
Jaromir Jagr's agent said Thursday that Jagr's "heart is in Pittsburgh." Penguins general manager Ray Shero is banking on it.

"I'm hoping Jagr meant what he said by wanting to do right by Mario," Shero said, referring to team co-owner Mario Lemieux.
And what Shero was offering was what pretty much every team was offering, and Philly came in late...

Quote:
Jagr, 39, also has one-year offers from Detroit and Montreal. All of the offers are for about $2 million. Reports surfaced late yesterday that the Philadelphia Flyers also were interested in Jagr, although no offer apparently had been made.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1Wc1ramSS


So was that people taking what they heard and running with it, or are those exact quotes? Because I see exact quotes

JTG is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:28 AM
  #34
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Teams should only take players on their own terms - the teams that don't are the ones that suck. We had so much cap space we could use to comfortably accommodate Jagr, and Shero was up front about that from the very beginning.

There's a reason why Holland and Shero - the two best GMs in the business - gave up on Jagr, and the one that signed him also just blew up a team that was a year removed from a Finals berth and needed only a couple minor tweaks.
Right, and that's totally fine. But none of that adds up to Jagr "trolling" the Penguins. He didn't do anything wrong.

And as far as the "heart in Pittsburgh" comment, I didn't read anything into it other than him just being nice. I would never have taken it as an indication that he's going to ignore other offers and rush to sign with the Pens. It's still business, comments notwithstanding.

Dupree13 is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:31 AM
  #35
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Right, and that's totally fine. But none of that adds up to Jagr "trolling" the Penguins. He didn't do anything wrong.

And as far as the "heart in Pittsburgh" comment, I didn't read anything into it other than him just being nice. I would never have taken it as an indication that he's going to ignore other offers and rush to sign with the Pens. It's still business, comments notwithstanding.
Quote:
"I think he's going to be in the NHL, that's what I think," Svoboda told ESPN.com Thursday.

Svoboda said he's been made aware that Jagr can't sign with an NHL club until July 1. He didn't say which NHL team his client might play for.

"He really wants to make a great decision, not based on money," Svoboda said. "He really wants to prove what kind of player he is. He's taking this seriously. He's been working out like a dog."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6697288

JTG is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:34 AM
  #36
Rob Scuderi
Moderator
 
Rob Scuderi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Right, and that's totally fine. But none of that adds up to Jagr "trolling" the Penguins. He didn't do anything wrong.

And as far as the "heart in Pittsburgh" comment, I didn't read anything into it other than him just being nice. I would never have taken it as an indication that he's going to ignore other offers and rush to sign with the Pens. It's still business, comments notwithstanding.
Quote:
I was thinking about it and if Mario would call me and say, ‘I’d like you to play for our team,’ I would think about it a lot,” Jagr said in a telephone interview from Moscow where the Kontinental League will hold its inaugural All-Star Game outdoors at Red Square Saturday. “I would play for the minimum salary. I would play for $350,000 just for him because I owe him my hockey life. I want to pay him back because he has made me what I am…besides my parents.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-question.html

You haven't been paying attention if you think his running quote machine was just another routine part of negotiating tactics. This quote's from 2009, or two years before he even returned to the NHL.

Rob Scuderi is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:37 AM
  #37
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Right, and that's totally fine. But none of that adds up to Jagr "trolling" the Penguins. He didn't do anything wrong.

And as far as the "heart in Pittsburgh" comment, I didn't read anything into it other than him just being nice. I would never have taken it as an indication that he's going to ignore other offers and rush to sign with the Pens. It's still business, comments notwithstanding.
See JTG and BBS.

It's classic Jagr, talking out of both sides of his mouth and then claiming misinterpretation.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
  #38
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-question.html

You haven't been paying attention if you think his running quote machine was just another routine part of negotiating tactics. This quote's from 2009, or two years before he even returned to the NHL.
Exactly, two years before he returned to the NHL. Just sentimental musings. You guys are all proving my point. You're taking these quotes and running with them, attaching weight to them and losing sight of the fact that business is still business. Money talks BS walks.

Dupree13 is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:41 AM
  #39
Milliardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zürich
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,596
vCash: 500
I agree with JTG 100%. If Jagr came out and said, "I want to come back to the NHL, I will play for the team with that will pay me the most money and has a chance to get into the playoffs", then no one here would have had a problem. But don't go on record saying stupid crap about where your heart is and that it is not about the money. Look at the Shero quote, even he took it the same way we did. Jagr screwed up and no he acts like the poor boy who doens't know why everybody hates him. I hope Orpik hits him unconcious and he gets booed out of the building while on the stretcher.

Milliardo is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:42 AM
  #40
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Exactly, two years before he returned to the NHL. Just sentimental musings. You guys are all proving my point. You're taking these quotes and running with them, attaching weight to them and losing sight of the fact that business is still business. Money talks BS walks.
...he said it wasn't about the money. His agent said it wasn't about the money. Why would you say it's not about the money when it is about the money.

Do you read what you type. You're telling people to not take direct quotes as direct quotes, rather believe they are lies.

JTG is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:47 AM
  #41
KaylaJ
I like stories
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 15,326
vCash: 500
I have to admit I don't put much stock into what people said one day ago let alone 2 years ago

KaylaJ is online now  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:47 AM
  #42
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
...he said it wasn't about the money. His agent said it wasn't about the money. Why would you say it's about the money when it is about the money.

Do you read what you type. You're telling people to not take direct quotes as direct quotes, rather believe they are lies.
Bingo. That's business. Always assume that it's about the money. You have to plan as such.

Dupree13 is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
  #43
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Exactly, two years before he returned to the NHL. Just sentimental musings. You guys are all proving my point. You're taking these quotes and running with them, attaching weight to them and losing sight of the fact that business is still business. Money talks BS walks.
Jagr's own agent said that it wasn't about the money, and Ray Shero - that's NHL GM Ray Shero - "took those quotes and ran with them".

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
  #44
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Bingo. That's business. Always assume that it's about the money. You have to plan as such.
Haha. What a joke. We've just been trolled by you.

JTG is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
  #45
schmidtlesauce
Registered User
 
schmidtlesauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
mad props for finding all those quotes

schmidtlesauce is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
  #46
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 45,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Haha. What a joke. We've just been trolled by you.
I am curious though...if this is such a common business practice, why have we never seen this type of posturing from any other player that we've signed under Shero?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
  #47
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtlesauce View Post
mad props for finding all those quotes
It's not hard. Jagr and his agent are quote machines. I could keep going.

Don't believe the quotes though. They are all false. It's natural for people to say completely false statements, and then blame others for believing anything that comes out of their mouth.

JTG is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:56 AM
  #48
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 39,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I am curious though...if this is such a common business practice, why have we never seen this type of posturing from any other player that we've signed under Shero?
It just goes to show that some people will always have a mouthful of Jagr.


It's like being an abused woman. He hits me cuz he loves me

JTG is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:58 AM
  #49
schmidtlesauce
Registered User
 
schmidtlesauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
It just goes to show that some people will always have a mouthful of Jagr. It's like being an abused woman. He hits me cuz he loves me.
this season he gets to have his favorite again... a mouthful of free candy

schmidtlesauce is offline  
Old
08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
  #50
Dupree13
Registered User
 
Dupree13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,102
vCash: 500
Since when are quotes in the lead-up to a negotiation ever taken as sincere? Yeah, sure maybe Svoboda was more loose-lipped then most, but so what? It's still the same concept.

And Shero knew all along. It's been reported that he didn't really want Jagr, so he offered what he though he was worth nothing more. Notice that I'm not ripping Shero. I'm ripping fans who got their panties in a bunch over Jagr "trolling" the Pens.

Dupree13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.