HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Price goes down, Are we done for sure?

Old
08-30-2011, 02:53 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
I think we'll be fine. Reality is, Price has stole us games, no doubt about it but Budaj just needs to give the team a chance, if the skaters step up in price's absence we can still win. Not saying they can replace price, but the damage can be reduced. Take a look at the pens, missing Crosby and Malkin and still made the playoffs. We've dealt with losses to gionta, cammalleri, markov and have still won. I'm not saying any of these guys aren't important to our success, but people step up, and in some cases later in the season if a top 6 player is injured, the 3rd/4th liner who moves up usually has relatively fresh legs because he hasn't endured a full season of 15-20 minutes a game vs top checking lines.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

vCash: 500
For some reasons backup goalies tend to shine here when the #1 goes down. Theo whent Hackett went down , Huet when Theo went down , Halak when Price went down and wasn't that great after his injury. Not saying it's the norm but just a tendency that i noticed over the last 10 years or so. I'm not going to include Aebischer in this tough

Would this be the case with Budaj ? Could be....who knows . In any case let's just hope that Price won't go down in the first place.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 03:09 PM
NewHabsEra*

You could ask the same question about alot of teams.. If Buffalo lose Miller, if the Rags lose Lunqvist, Flyers lose Brysgalov ect ect..

I think the chances to lose Price for a long time are very slim, he is a big goaltender, is pretty agile and he doesnt hesitate to clear his crease by his own.. Also, I think the chances are higher to get hurt when you are tired, too many games, too many shots agaisnt, no break.. so with Markov back, more depth up front, about everyone expect an improved team, better at even strength.. so if we are right with our expectations, Price shouldnt get abused like it was the case too many times in the past, will have more easy games, more breaks and highly probably better stats as well.. And I think if we are unfortunate enough to lose him for a long stretch, I still think the Habs have the team to overcome this and still make the playoffs.. No many teams in this league can roll 3 solid lines that can score goals and outplay the opposition, no many teams in this league can count on 2 elite defensemen like Markov and Subban in their line-up.. I think we lack another top 4 defenseman at the moment but I wouldnt be surprised to see one of our kids step up and fill the shoes..

What Ive seen from Budaj is a pretty solid backup so I think the answer to your question is no, we are certainly not done if Price go down (even for a long time) and that most of our best players stay healthy.. We sure arent a contender anymore but we are not done to make the playoffs..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 03:56 PM
habsjunkie2*

I honestly don't think so, what we have seen over time is it doesn't really seem to matter who is in net for us to make the playoffs. Theo, Huet, Price, Halak. I think the system and team in front of the goalie are at least equally important, for whatever reason we seem to do ok no matter the goalie. I think with JM as the coach this will hold even more true. I'm not saying Price isn't valuable or wouldn't be missed, but losing Markov or Subban would be even more troublesome imo.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

"Les Canadiens de Montréal sont heureux de sélectionner...the Montreal Canadiens are proud to select from the Ontario Hockey League, Sarnia Sting's Nail Yakupov/ the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Quebec Remparts Mikhail Grigorenko." - Timmins

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
"Les Canadiens de Montréal sont heureux de sélectionner...the Montreal Canadiens are proud to select from the Ontario Hockey League, Sarnia Sting's Nail Yakupov/ the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, Quebec Remparts Mikhail Grigorenko." - Timmins
Another enigmatic Russian

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Yakupov

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:09 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
i can already see the oilers ending up with having Hall,RNH and Yakupov

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I think we'd make a trade to get us into the playoffs. I think Mgmt wouldn't pass the reigns over to Budaj.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:20 PM
number 11

how would the bruins have done without thomas last season? vancouver without luongo? enough said.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:30 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Any team that loses it's number 1 goalie for a prolonged period of time, is toast.....Miller, Thomas, Price, Luongo, etc and so on....

You can get your backup to hold the fort so to speak for 10-12 games, but 30-40 games without a number 1 is bleak...not just the Habs, but every team...
Vancouver has Schneider and Boston has Rask..

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
how would the bruins have done without thomas last season? vancouver without luongo? enough said.
Believe it or not, both Rask and Schneider are more then capable of pulling their weight.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:00 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yes. We finish last, then everyone is happy.
t'was my first thought as well

"good! NOW we can tank properly trolololo"

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:47 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Any team that loses it's number 1 goalie for a prolonged period of time, is toast.....Miller, Thomas, Price, Luongo, etc and so on....

You can get your backup to hold the fort so to speak for 10-12 games, but 30-40 games without a number 1 is bleak...not just the Habs, but every team...
the Canucks are not in trouble without Luongo. They have enough firepower and they also have Cory Shneider. They'd be fine, if not better.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:00 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Believe it or not, both Rask and Schneider are more then capable of pulling their weight.
I don't believe Rask can be the Bruins' goalie for an extended period of time. They have horrible defensive transition, and their goalie might often feel abandoned by their D.

Rask has too much temper to stomach being left alone (and scored upon). If that happens, he might start actively mistrusting his blueline, which lead to a 09-10 Price unreliability level.

Either Rask calm his legendary temper, or the Bruins learn how to change zone more efficiently.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:45 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

yes, The Habs would be a lottery team without Price

Budaj would play well but he cant steal games like price can.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Perrah

Team might limp into the playoffs, but they wouldnt be near the bottom 5 of the league.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:08 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Team might limp into the playoffs, but they wouldnt be near the bottom 5 of the league.
Agreed, the idea that we're a lottery pick team without Price is completely unfounded.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Agreed, the idea that we're a lottery pick team without Price is completely unfounded.
Yeah I would expect a few more blow out losses and less goals scored since they would really have to tighten it up, and probably a finish in the 8-12 range of the East. If they did make the playoffs I wouldnt expect them to be that competitive in the first round.

Im curious to see the defense though since it will be more mobile than previous 2 years.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:32 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

If a bear ***** in the woods does it wipe it's ass with a white rabbit?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
If a bear ***** in the woods does it wipe it's ass with a white rabbit?
Of course not, it uses a white squirrel.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:46 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Vancouver has Schneider and Boston has Rask..
Buffalo has Enroth who is pretty good

and too answer the op
yes the habs would be fubar'd

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Kikizaz

probably...

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Team wouldn't even notice.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Subnordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Cue the "we should have kept Cedric Desjardins" ramblings in about 30 seconds.
Hahaha, I do miss Desjardins though, it was cool saying there was a guy in my teams system that lived not even an hour and a half away from me when he was a child.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote