HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings #6 prospect

View Poll Results: Who is the Kings #6 prospect
Christopher Gibson 6 9.84%
Brandon Kozun 3 4.92%
Jeff Zatkoff 0 0%
Jordan Weal 0 0%
Martin Jones 17 27.87%
Thomas Hickey 16 26.23%
Linden Vey 3 4.92%
Maxim Kitsyn 8 13.11%
Jake Muzzin 8 13.11%
Nick Shore 0 0%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-30-2011, 04:05 PM
  #1
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,436
vCash: 500
Kings #6 prospect

Results:

1st: Andrei Loktionov 39.66% (runner up: Viatcheslav Voinov 31.03%)
2nd: Viatcheslav Voinov 79.63% (runner up: Tyler Toffoli 12.96%)
3rd: Tyler Toffoli 53.57% (runner up: Derek Forbort 16.07%)
4th: Derek Forbort 55.88% (runner up: Nicholas Deslauriers 20.59%)
5th: Nicholas Deslauriers 48.57% (runner up: Martin Jones 15.71%)

Please reply with who you would like to see added to the poll.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:39 PM
  #2
goosh
TwoForRoughing
 
goosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Took Gibson, add Campbell.

I'm a big fan of both Muzzin and Hickey, but with the upside that Gibson has, he's just too good to pass up...

goosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 04:40 PM
  #3
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,124
vCash: 500
For right now Jones edges Gibson imo.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:01 PM
  #4
goosh
TwoForRoughing
 
goosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
For right now Jones edges Gibson imo.
He's a lot more NHL ready but he still hasn't been very consistent and he and Zatkoff are still in a platoon for the starter's job.

Gibson has the potential to be a #1 goaltender in the NHL. Jones to me is more of a back-up.

goosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:14 PM
  #5
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
He's a lot more NHL ready but he still hasn't been very consistent and he and Zatkoff are still in a platoon for the starter's job.

Gibson has the potential to be a #1 goaltender in the NHL. Jones to me is more of a back-up.
I broke down what little video I've seen of Gibson and I was not impressed at all. You can check the draft thread dedicated to him to read it if you'd like.

To me, it's clearly Jones then Muzzin.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:18 PM
  #6
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh
 
tigermask48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
He's a lot more NHL ready but he still hasn't been very consistent and he and Zatkoff are still in a platoon for the starter's job.

Gibson has the potential to be a #1 goaltender in the NHL. Jones to me is more of a back-up.
But this isn't a contest as to who has the higher potential, or bigger upside. You have to consider both upside/potential and progress made towards fulfilling that potential... Gibson may have higher upside but Jones is much closer to maximizing his full potential. That's why I'm voting Muzzin, he may not have the potential to be a top pairing d-man but he's pretty close to ready to be a 2nd or 3rd pairing d-man on the kings and that to me puts him higher than any of Voinov, Deslauriers, Forbort, or Hickey. I'd have Gibson right around the area that I'd have Berube as both of them have potential to be good to great but both are no where near reaching that potential yet.

Also add Holloway.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:23 PM
  #7
Monarchist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Kitsyn over Gibson/Hickey/Kozun because I think potential >>> chances of reaching it.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:25 PM
  #8
goosh
TwoForRoughing
 
goosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
But this isn't a contest as to who has the higher potential, or bigger upside. You have to consider both upside/potential and progress made towards fulfilling that potential... Gibson may have higher upside but Jones is much closer to maximizing his full potential. That's why I'm voting Muzzin, he may not have the potential to be a top pairing d-man but he's pretty close to ready to be a 2nd or 3rd pairing d-man on the kings and that to me puts him higher than any of Voinov, Deslauriers, Forbort, or Hickey. I'd have Gibson right around the area that I'd have Berube as both of them have potential to be good to great but both are no where near reaching that potential yet.

Also add Holloway.
You make a very good point. Jones has made a lot of progress toward reaching his potential while Gibson hasn't. But, I would much rather have a guy that has, say, a 50% chance of becoming a very good #1 goaltender than a guy that has an 80% chance of becoming a good back-up.

goosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 05:55 PM
  #9
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
You make a very good point. Jones has made a lot of progress toward reaching his potential while Gibson hasn't. But, I would much rather have a guy that has, say, a 50% chance of becoming a very good #1 goaltender than a guy that has an 80% chance of becoming a good back-up.
IMO, the only reason you think Jones will be a backup is because we have Quick and Bernier. Jones has been a starter all his career and did great things in Juniors that made people regret not drafting him. He came in this year and stole the starting job from someone who's been around for a lot longer than him and he put up some damn good numbers. Jones, to me, has the same, if not better, potential as Gibson but is much better fundamentally.


Last edited by CNS: 08-30-2011 at 06:08 PM.
CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:50 PM
  #10
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator
 
saintsnsoldiers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Logan, Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 2,059
vCash: 500
Hickey all the way, to much potential and yes its still there. Tough luck with the injuries. Taken top 10 for his potiential. Showed and somebody saw and still sees somehthing with him. He should be higher on the list. He should be 4th/5th with n-des and Robot should be 6th

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:33 PM
  #11
KingNick07
Registered User
 
KingNick07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 264
vCash: 500
Jones was an easy one here. From here on out it will be tough...

KingNick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:45 PM
  #12
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,872
vCash: 500
I think after the top 5, there's a very good second tier that includes Vey, Muzzin, Jones, and Hickey. Because of Vey's vast improvement over the past year, I gave him the edge.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:21 PM
  #13
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,989
vCash: 500
Its gonna be fun watching when Kitsyn kicks down the door and shows allot of the people here why he is such a special player. Think Clifford with less fight but more offence. Oh well.

If we pretend that MK doesn't exist then Muzz is a an NHL ready two way Dman who is meaner that A Mart but equally skilled and that says allot. Of course Kozun is as good as anyone left at this point. In a year or two Vey will be ready and will blow a few minds.

Oh and to the Hickey supporters you are absolutely right that he is legit, ready and very talented. Take away the injuries and we would have had him instead of A Mart on the team last year but the time he is spending down on the farm (TH) is making him angrier, meaner and more determined and those things will make him a star when he gets his chance.

If we see him stick this year then it is goodbye to VV and visa versa imo. We are having a hard time finding room for one of these guys so two is just one too many but lets wait and see how camp goes.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:31 PM
  #14
goosh
TwoForRoughing
 
goosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Its gonna be fun watching when Kitsyn kicks down the door and shows allot of the people here why he is such a special player. Think Clifford with less fight but more offence. Oh well.

If we pretend that MK doesn't exist then Muzz is a an NHL ready two way Dman who is meaner that A Mart but equally skilled and that says allot. Of course Kozun is as good as anyone left at this point. In a year or two Vey will be ready and will blow a few minds.

Oh and to the Hickey supporters you are absolutely right that he is legit, ready and very talented. Take away the injuries and we would have had him instead of A Mart on the team last year but the time he is spending down on the farm (TH) is making him angrier, meaner and more determined and those things will make him a star when he gets his chance.

If we see him stick this year then it is goodbye to VV and visa versa imo. We are having a hard time finding room for one of these guys so two is just one too many but lets wait and see how camp goes.
I am also a huge believer in Muzzin. I think he could have even more potential than Hickey. On defense, Muzzin is far more physical and meaner than Hickey is, and has a big body to go along with it. He is a gym rat and is the type of guy that is soft spoken but leads by example.

But, everyone overlooks his offensive upside. Remember, it was Muzzin's first year in the pro's last year too, and he was much better offensively than Hickey was. I'm not even counting the fact that Hickey played half a season the year before in Manch too. Muzzin is just a better prospect all around for me...

The top 9 is pretty clear to me:

1. Lokti
2. Voynov
3. Toffoli
4. Forbort
5. Deslauriers
6. Jones (yes, I know earlier in the thread I took Gibson over him...)
7. Muzzin
8. Hickey
9. Gibson

And Kitsyn, Vey, and Kozun all fall after that.

goosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:38 PM
  #15
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,989
vCash: 500
Right said and I like your list but would amend it to suit my opinion in a few places but then only in preference. Muzzin is NHL ready and right there with A Mart imo without a doubt and probably a higher upside to boot.

Muzzin is too good to deal but is going to have to wait his turn unfortunately if things don't change over the next few weeks. I see him replacing a vet next season.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:42 PM
  #16
goosh
TwoForRoughing
 
goosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Right said and I like your list but would amend it to suit my opinion in a few places but then only in preference. Muzzin is NHL ready and right there with A Mart imo without a doubt and probably a higher upside to boot.

Muzzin is too good to deal but is going to have to wait his turn unfortunately if things don't change over the next few weeks. I see him replacing a vet next season.
Well, as many have said, depth is a good problem to have. I see Mitchell being let go after season's end but I think Voynov will take his spot.

goosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:53 PM
  #17
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,989
vCash: 500
It will be tricky to hang on to VV if we don't find him a spot this season. To my way of thinking he almost must make the team out of camp or be deal. His agent is making grumbling noises or has been for a bit now but we will see if that means anything.

The Dman I see being more expendable due to numbers will be A Mart (sadly) if VV blows minds in camp (or Muzz etc) then DL will be forced to do something. One thing in A Marts favor is that he was given a contract but then if we follow that then it also means that DavisD, the dman who should have been moved will also be with us.

Not a bad problem to have but I contend that we will have to move a kid soon or risk losing one of them.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:34 PM
  #18
FrozenKing18
Goongala.
 
FrozenKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: So Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 5,906
vCash: 500
Martin Jones

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:38 PM
  #19
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Its gonna be fun watching when Kitsyn kicks down the door and shows allot of the people here why he is such a special player. Think Clifford with less fight but more offence. Oh well.

If we pretend that MK doesn't exist then Muzz is a an NHL ready two way Dman who is meaner that A Mart but equally skilled and that says allot. Of course Kozun is as good as anyone left at this point.
Couple things about Kitsyn.

1. Russian factor. Worried or not, it is a problem.
2. He'll be in Russia for the next two years fulfilling his contract there.
3. His skating is so awkward. He's effective but it's so weird that it seems to scare some people.


Those 3 things I think hurt Kitsyn. And the fact that he didn't kill it in Mississauga or do well in his draft year too. Still like Kitsyn a lot but we'll see what happens with him.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:13 AM
  #20
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh
 
tigermask48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Couple things about Kitsyn.

1. Russian factor. Worried or not, it is a problem.
2. He'll be in Russia for the next two years fulfilling his contract there.
3. His skating is so awkward. He's effective but it's so weird that it seems to scare some people.

Those 3 things I think hurt Kitsyn. And the fact that he didn't kill it in Mississauga or do well in his draft year too. Still like Kitsyn a lot but we'll see what happens with him.
Same thing could be said about Simmonds and look how that worked out for the Kings. Same thing coud also be said of Toffoli and look where alot of people ranked him... I think the next two years will be very interesting to see what happens to Kitsyn in Russia as it could very well make or break his career.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:58 AM
  #21
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,989
vCash: 500
I have spent a great deal of time watching Kitsyn play hockey and his skating style while somewhat unorthodox has proven itself to be very very effective so I would discount any criticism of that aspect of his game greatly.

The rest of it, the russian bits have been met and answered by his coming over to play. He has said he will be back as fast as possible but i agree, until he is here he is in Russia so if that is a concern for you then you have your reason.

I don't think that it is an issue in this case but anything is possible.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:01 AM
  #22
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,436
vCash: 500
If we want him here earlier, we can buy him out of his Russian contract/team right? Just without a transfer agreement, it's more difficult?

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:51 PM
  #23
CNS
A World Alone
 
CNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
If we want him here earlier, we can buy him out of his Russian contract/team right? Just without a transfer agreement, it's more difficult?
Depends. Not sure if he has an NHL out clause in his contract. Even then, his Russian team would have to agree to a buyout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have spent a great deal of time watching Kitsyn play hockey and his skating style while somewhat unorthodox has proven itself to be very very effective so I would discount any criticism of that aspect of his game greatly.

The rest of it, the russian bits have been met and answered by his coming over to play. He has said he will be back as fast as possible but i agree, until he is here he is in Russia so if that is a concern for you then you have your reason.

I don't think that it is an issue in this case but anything is possible.
I agree. What I stated were reasons others are knocking him. Kitsyn is a guy I like but I do worry about him transitioning to NA hockey. He has half a year of experience now but that doesn't mean he can transition his game to an NHL game. He's one of the most intriguing prospects in my eyes.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:15 PM
  #24
kingscup
MBML
 
kingscup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Anaheim, CA.
Country: United States
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Jones for me.

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.