Notices

Jets interested in Kyle Wellwood?

Old
08-30-2011, 09:04 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

vCash: 500
Sharks fan here who lives in Winnipeg.

As a Sharks fan, I'd love to have him back. He showed flashes in the playoffs and I actually thought he was the best Shark on the ice for the Kings playoff series this year. Somebody mentioned above that he can't finish, which is 100% true. He'd wiff on the puck, or just miss the net or would be one half a skate behind making an awesome move. The kid has talent, he even showed he can be a two-way forward at times. The Sharks need more guys who show up in the playoffs and I hope the Sharks give him another year.

As a Jets fan, I'd pass. He's more valuable on a team that has more depth around him.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:19 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
If Wellwood is great you need to raise your criteria. He's a talented NHL hockey player, but he's not in the top 50 players in the league. If he's great what does that make Ovi and Crosby?
You can be a great hockey player and not be in the NHL. Conditioning and other factors play a huge part, like what where your weaknesses lie. Ovie and Crosby are elite talents with great conditioning. So I don't agree with your perspective and no not appreciate you telling me what I need to do. More like I don't care and will choose to ignore what you said.

Last edited by PensFan6687: 08-31-2011 at 01:24 AM.
PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:51 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
You can be a great hockey player and not be in the NHL. Conditioning and other factors play a huge part, like what where your weaknesses lie. Ovie and Crosby are elite talents with great conditioning. So I don't agree with your perspective and no not appreciate you telling me what I need to do. More like I don't care and will choose to ignore what you said.
You're right the difference between KYLE WELLWOOD and Crosby is conditioning .
I stand by assessment (which I think is universally held by people who watch hockey) that Kyle Wellwood is not a great player. Heck, I don't think Kyle Wellwood would tell you that he's in the top 50 players in the league all conditioning talk aside.

(In no way is this suppose to be a shot at Kyle Wellwood. I have nothing against him as a player to be honest, if I felt he met a need on the team I would advocate bringing him. He's a legit NHL player, not a fringe player bouncing from the AHL to the NHL. But to classify anyone who's had his career to this point as "great" is factually incorrect.)

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:50 AM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
You're right the difference between KYLE WELLWOOD and Crosby is conditioning .
I stand by assessment (which I think is universally held by people who watch hockey) that Kyle Wellwood is not a great player. Heck, I don't think Kyle Wellwood would tell you that he's in the top 50 players in the league all conditioning talk aside.

(In no way is this suppose to be a shot at Kyle Wellwood. I have nothing against him as a player to be honest, if I felt he met a need on the team I would advocate bringing him. He's a legit NHL player, not a fringe player bouncing from the AHL to the NHL. But to classify anyone who's had his career to this point as "great" is factually incorrect.)
Firstly, I never said they were at the same level of talent, and secondly there are many more tangibles than just saying someone is great or some guy has great conditioning. I just gave examples of variables. There are clearly more, and again, I don't recall ever valuing them the same in terms of ability. Wow, you sure like to fill-in-the-blanks for people and assume. Have fun with that. btw I didn't bother reading your post beyond the first sentence, so I have no idea what else you said or do I further wish to get in this with you because you'll take whatever I say and take away entirely something else from it. Good day sir.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:42 AM
jomas

As I saw him in Toronto I have to say he has the definent potential to be a good player, he really does.
But his work ethic was apparently crappy, and theres of course the running joke of obesity issues, so he'll need to get fit.

In my opinion a low risk high reward player if you can get him cheap. Which shouldn't be difficult when you consider his playing in Vancover/San Jose.

Will be interesting to see how he pans out if you do get him.

jomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Keep the sniping and personal shots out of the discussion or infractions will be coming.

We can discuss and debate things, even passionately, without the side commentary or potshots.