HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Matty31

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matty31
Looking For A Custom Home Builder

We were looking to get a custom home built in the Southern part of Edmonton, Windermere.

We were wondering who were some of the better custom home builders and who are some to avoid.

Any good stories or horror stories?

Any info will be great!

Thanks

Old
08-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Moneypuck

Is the area that you're thinking of building in open to all builders? Most developements have 3 or 4 builders controlling the whole development.

Usually the less expensive the builder the more likely you are to have a bad experience. Make decisions on all of your upgrades and extras and get it on paper before signing your agreement, once you sign that agreement, they're much less eager to please you.

Built with Jayman homes in 92 and have nothing but good things to say about that experience. Tried to make a step up 4 yrs ago with Parkwood home but it still hasn't happened to this day. They were so busy back then they didn't give a rats arse and that sort of turned os off them. Really liked their Saffron Park Royal home and wanted a couple minor modifications and they just flat out said no.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:38 PM
rwr

kimberly does a GREAT job with the houses that ive seen, i have no idea how they are to deal with, as for the jayman comment, im going to have to disagree with the good experience, i have had nothing but probelms with them , they wont come fix anything, pissing me off realy. havent even owned the home for a year

you can phone "jacobs construction" they are based in leduc, they may or may not build there.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:51 PM
jcorb58

Ive been a tradesman with Parkwood for many years, 4 yrs ago they were so busy that we couldnt do anymore homes without seriously comprimizing workmanship. We are still very busy today. Im sorry you got a bad impression with your experiance but you would of had a worst experiance if they built you a home under less than ideal circumstances. Since then their new office has been built and the torch has been passed to the owners son. Parkwood builds a quality home so dont let one bad experiance stop you from at least taking a look. The Saffron Park Royal is a very popular module, Ive seen many versions of it. Good luck with deciding on your new home.

Old
08-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Matty31

Thanks for the tips! The area I am looking at can have any builder you want. You purchase the lot and then your builder just needs to meet the standards and codes of the developers.

I am looking for a custom home builder that does more quality and less quantity.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:05 PM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
I am currently building in Windermere North.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS IN WRITING & ON A CHANGE ORDER OR IN THE CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!! right down to the base board and how the dry wall is to be finished around the stairs

Il give you a run down of some of the of the builder in the area.

Kimberly Custom Homes (who I am building with)
- Good quality work, front office and sales people have cause issues, I think there the best value in the area though.

Hillview
- From what I hear they build a quality house, but they are pricy.

Kanvi
-Friends of my wife built with them and they build a nice home and will do what ever you want.

Old
08-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Manicmoose

I'm currently building with Dreamhomes by Krisner. Their showhome is up in Griesbach however we are building in a subdivision in Beaumont with them. They have been great for us so far. They will do a custom home for you and the drafting of the plans is included in the price of the home. We brought them a plan we liked from another builder to use as a basis, told Jermey (owner) what we liked about the plan and where we'd like to make changes - obviously we had to make enough alterations to the plan so it was not a complete copy, mind you have have seen some direct ripoffs out there. He does the drafting himself and on the first try he captured what we wanted in our home. They are not one of the large box builders, smaller amount of homes, really great quality.

They have a great base level of home, obviously you could build it as crazy as you want it - only your imagination and pocket book will stop you there. Even simple things like the fact they put ethernet and cable into each bedroom was a nice touch, some builders only allow X many jacks before they start charging you per run, but since each room already had lines put into them I didnt have to add anything (mind you I still did, but thats mostly because Im a computer geek and needed a couple extras, but I really didnt have to - dont let my wife see that)

I cant say enough good about them, I would definately not hesitate to recommend them to anyone out there. Just tell them Brad sent you.

Their website is under construction right now otherwise I'd link it here, I just spoke to Jeremy today on it, they hope to have it up and lookin purdy very soon.

This is my 3rd house I am having built and so far they have been the best builder I've delt with.

Give them a shot, talk with Jeremy and see what he can do for you... cant hurt to talk

Old
08-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Moneypuck

Anybody have any concerns with OSB compared to traditional plywood. Paid a little extra to have plywood used throughout the house. Used 5/8" plywood for the walls and the roof.

Old
08-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Matty31

Thanks Manicmoose…..I will have to check it out, they sound good. I never heard of them but your recommendation helps!

I was thinking of a over 3000 sq ft home on a 46 pocket lot. Would that be something they do regularly.

Replacement I know what you mean about the new homes now. We are in position to be able to do so thus we are looking into it.

I heard Darren’s Homes are good. Anyone hear about them?

Old
08-31-2011, 12:29 PM
oileral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
I am currently building in Windermere North.

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS IN WRITING & ON A CHANGE ORDER OR IN THE CONTRACT!!!!!!!!!!!!! right down to the base board and how the dry wall is to be finished around the stairs

Il give you a run down of some of the of the builder in the area.

Kimberly Custom Homes (who I am building with)
- Good quality work, front office and sales people have cause issues, I think there the best value in the area though.

Hillview
- From what I hear they build a quality house, but they are pricy.

Kanvi
-Friends of my wife built with them and they build a nice home and will do what ever you want.
Oh crazy, I'm building in Ravines at Windermere North with Ace Lange.

As for the OP - Ace Lange is so far, so good, went to all my meetings which included electrical, plumbing, rails and spindles, hardwood, carpet, lighting, security..etc etc etc Everything was easy, the contractors they deal with know exactly what you want, and are very helpful. The only thing I don't like so far, are the meetings in the Ace Lange office, as they only work office hours which is tough for me and the girlfriend, we both work office hours too.
We have a 42 pocket, and the house is going to be 2700 sq feet. I'm sure 46 pocket can handle a 3000 sq foot house.

P.S. I know Parkwood's owners, awesome people, was going to go through them, but decided to go with Ace Lange due to price, and area they are building in.

Last edited by oileral: 08-31-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old
08-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Marincin28

The wife and I recently toured a custom home in Upper Windermere and it turns out it is the dream home for the upcoming Winners Choice Lottery put on by the Edmonton Oilers Community Foundation.

Beautiful home and according to he sales guy they only build 12 homes a year.
Carriage Signature was the builder.

www.winnerschoicelottery.com/grand.php
www.carriagesignature.com

Old
08-31-2011, 01:17 PM
hungoverman

Darren's Homes builds really nice houses but they are typically high end expensive (Cameron Heights Ravine). Canyon Spring builds nice houses as well and I know they do work in Windermere. They have a couple of show homes to tour. The new one in Summerside is nice. I think most of Darren's houses are at least north of 1,000,000 plus lot and upgrades, etc.
Al from Hillview is nice to deal with as well. I think his market is the $500-750,000 range but don't quote me on that.
Your budget on the house will probably narrow out some of the choices as there are many "Custom" builders out there. Hope that helps.

Old
08-31-2011, 01:40 PM
syder

Take a look at this builder.

http://www.housecompany.com/

Old
08-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Manicmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty31 View Post
Thanks Manicmoose…..I will have to check it out, they sound good. I never heard of them but your recommendation helps!

I was thinking of a over 3000 sq ft home on a 46 pocket lot. Would that be something they do regularly.
I'm building 2400sqft on a 48 pocket lot (i've got a lot of garage on it ) I know his partner's house (and have been inside of it) was a 3600sqft home in Greisbach. Like I said, if you can think it he can pretty much make it happen - just comes down to how much you want to spend. Feel free to PM me any other questions, would be happy to answer them for you.

Brad

Old
08-31-2011, 03:57 PM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
PM me if you want some storys of what can go wrong during a build.. I got a few

Old
08-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Matty31

Oileral: Yeah we were thinking about RiverPoint which is just north of North Windermere! Thx for the tip about Ace Lange.

Marincin28: That home is awesome. Wish I would win that one!

Hungoverman: We were leaning towards Darren’s Homes and met with them in Cameron Heights. They seem really nice but it is a bit more expensive than we were looking for.

Syder: Those are some unique looking homes!

Manicmoose and pox I will message you guys!

Old
08-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Best home builder out there is HS Jones quality from top to bottom just dont expect it done in 2 months more like 5 but unreal top quality homes

Old
11-09-2012, 10:47 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Old one reached 1000. Continue here.

Last edited by The Head Crusher: 02-28-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old
11-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
lol high of 86 today (30 celsius)

Old
11-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Headed to Dominican next Friday. Hopefully the place has recovered from that ***** sandy.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Coming back to town tomorrow. Has anyone driven 63 since the huge dump of snow?

Old
11-11-2012, 11:39 AM
little miss oiler

So I'm moving to Lethbridge from Winnipeg in the near future and I'm wondering who has the best service for cell phones, tv, Internet etc. Telus, Shaw or??? Also, what car insurance companies are best? In Manitoba you only have one choice (government insurance) so I have no idea on this one. Thanks!!!

Old
11-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Jamin

I would say no matter what dont go with Bell. Everyone I know with bell hates it and leaves the minute the contract expires.

I have shaw tv and its ok, feels like a rip off price wise. Telus has been hounding us to switch to optik tv and will give a free xbox but I dont know if I wasnt a 3 year tv/internet contract with telus whereas shaw I could quit whenever I want

Old
11-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Dave
º

If you're a student, inquire about discounts.

Old
11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

I've had Shaw TV/Internet and Telus Optik TV/Internet and I like Telus 13470938471847123049871047123% more.

Closed Thread