HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eastern Conference Standings Predictions 2011-2012

Old
08-25-2011, 04:39 PM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

vCash: 500
My eyes are perfectly fine and I can read just as well. I dont care the about the type of fan, and I love how you shushed the whole Jarg comment in there as well. Please do weigh in on how happy you are to have him in your locker room? And are you happy to have your captain, and a top points producer gone? Im willing to bet the answers to both of those questions are negatives. If not, you havent the slightest clue as to what your talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan View Post
If there is noone up front who can carry the team, why were Briere and Giroux the top two in points last year? I think you have trouble reading because that person said they were a PENGUINS fan.

TheGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGOAT View Post
My eyes are perfectly fine and I can read just as well. I dont care the about the type of fan, and I love how you shushed the whole Jarg comment in there as well. Please do weigh in on how happy you are to have him in your locker room? And are you happy to have your captain, and a top points producer gone? Im willing to bet the answers to both of those questions are negatives. If not, you havent the slightest clue as to what your talking about.
No comment on your continual dismissal of Giroux's ability as a legitimate top line player?

Also, it's JAGR. Not Jarg. Jarg sounds like an ogre-like creature from Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that losing Richards' and Carter's offense won't be felt somewhat. But your original post that I quoted seemed to suggest the Flyers are left with Briere and nothing but a bunch of 3rd and 4th line roleplayers after the trades. That's simply not the case. Even with the trading of Carter and Richards, the Flyers still have a good crop of talent up front.

You also continue to ignore their defense entirely in your assessment that the Flyers "suck" since the trade of Carter and Richards.. An elite defense can certainly carry even a mediocre offense (though the Flyers have better than that) to the playoffs.

Last edited by Sidney the Kidney: 08-25-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

1. Caps
2. Pens
3. Bruins
4. Sabres
5. Bolts
6. Rangers
7. Flyers
8. Canes
12. Leafs
13. Panthers
14. Jets
15. Sens

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 01:47 PM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
No comment on your continual dismissal of Giroux's ability as a legitimate top line player?

Also, it's JAGR. Not Jarg. Jarg sounds like an ogre-like creature from Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

I don't think anyone's suggesting that losing Richards' and Carter's offense won't be felt somewhat. But your original post that I quoted seemed to suggest the Flyers are left with Briere and nothing but a bunch of 3rd and 4th line roleplayers after the trades. That's simply not the case. Even with the trading of Carter and Richards, the Flyers still have a good crop of talent up front.

You also continue to ignore their defense entirely in your assessment that the Flyers "suck" since the trade of Carter and Richards.. An elite defense can certainly carry even a mediocre offense (though the Flyers have better than that) to the playoffs.

Again you tap dance around Jagr's presence. I obvs didnt mean to type Jarg so lets not be condescending. As for Giroux- No I dont think he will be able to pickup the weight that was dropped when Carter and Richards were swapped out. I didnt say anything about the defence because its the only decent part of the team inclusive of goaltending. Finally, I dont think that the Flyers have the leadership needed to be a very good team, and that being said it will only make things more difficult with Jagr in the room and nobody to put him in his place. As I see it, there are a good amount of mediocre-good players, but nobody that stands out and makes me say WOW. Lets see is Bryz can stand out and play in the spotlight, but until he proves it, I dont see any huge difference makers. It's just the same old flyers that couldnt cut it in the playoffs, and now are minus two of their top guys.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:10 PM
ScaredStreit

Penguins -even without a healthy Crosby they're dangerous
Sabres -Built very well all around team, I don't see too many holes
Capitals -Beat up on a weak division
Canadiens -Good, solid team
Bruins -Again another very good all-around built team,
Flyers -Losing Richards and Carter isn't a worry-I think they're overrated. Gaining Bryz is key
Lightning -Not sure about this one, they could either make it, or tank
Rangers -Up and coming team, Lundqvist is able to carry them to the playoffs

Leafs
Devils
Islanders
Jets
Panthers
Huricanes
Senators

I just don't see the Isles making the playoffs. They need to improve the team (especially their defense). Potential means nothing if it's not reaching-it's time to start showing these improvements, I just don't see it this year.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:16 AM
leaponover

The devils played lights out hockey the 2nd half of the season without Parise. It'd be silly to assume they don't make the playoffs. They will challenge for a spot for sure and I think they get in the 7th or 8th spot.

The only other thing I have to guess on is that the Isles will not make the playoffs. I don't think any of our goaltenders will put up enough wins to gain the majority of starts and get in a groove. With platooning it only takes both goalies to stay a little bit over 500 and you still have to many losses to make the playoffs. I just don't see them succeeding this year with still too many unprovens and 4th line talent in the lineup.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I`ll say this...

- I certainly do NOT believe the Penguins finish first in the Atlantic if Crosby misses the season. One way or another, I also predict that Malkin WILL have problems coming back from that knee surgery as several ligaments had to be repaired.
- No-one should think for a second that Reimer is ready to be a starter who leads an NHL team to the playoffs. Odds are heavily against him.
- Philly still has MUCH going for them. If either Schenn or Couturier can contribute regularly, much less both, this team is the best in the conference over 82 games.
- I won`t put a cent of belief into New Jersey being successful until we see how the players respond to Deboer. Simply put, it`s questionable that anyone not named Lemaire is the "right" guy to coach the Devils.
- Somehow, I still think the Rangers will struggle, but doggone it, I do see Richards putting up 65+ points and relieving some of the pressure on the other guys there, thus making the Rag$ a fairly dangerous team in the East. Their defense has much to prove though.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:25 PM
startainfection

their star players really do step up along with their sophmores
no stanley cup hangover, seguin becomes part of the bruins core
crosby and neal have unreal chemistry, crosby puts up 100 points in 60 games/misses the other quarter of the season just to be careful whenever a concussion symptom comes up
stamkos improves drasticly, roloson's play becomes mediocre
few teams are as fast as the habs, their team speed is quite ridiculous
wishart becomes a legitimate top 4 dman while streit puts him under his wing, finish top 5 in scoring
myres proves he is no better then a number 2 dman, erhoff regher and miller carry this team to the play offs
moves dont work yet but still make the play offs as the 8th the seed
parise and kovy have off seasons make a serious play off push but come up short
only spots of hope are skinner ward and staal, everyone else slowly falls apart
dubinsky-richards-gaborik is one of the highest scoring lines in the league, everyone else has a sophomore slump or regresses
young players improve but not by much
although they are mostly overpaid, lower class free agent signings they are a very streaky team at times being top 2 in their division but never being able to hold it
kessel and connoly have good chemistry but connoly only plays 40 games
they are just that bad

playoffs
vs
caps win 4-1
semin green and backstrom surprisingly show up

vs
bruins win 4-2
thomas and chara > miller and myres
vs
isles win 4-1
with crosby and malkin out again for the playoffs for a second season in a row the pens just cant match up to the blend of grit and skill that most isles players have
vs
bolts win 4-3
stamkos and st louis play how everyone expects them to

caps vs isles
caps win 4-3
isles are tired not knowing what it takes to play into the post season and few players show up in the same games for the isles

bruins vs bolts
bolts win 4-1
bruins are tired getting to the second round 3 years in a row and coming off a stanley cup victory the season before

caps vs bolts
caps win 4-3 the caps continue to show up as if there is no pressure on them

i think this is the year the caps win the cup

Last edited by startainfection: 08-31-2011 at 03:59 PM.
startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:18 AM
TheGOAT
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
their star players really do step up along with their sophmores
no stanley cup hangover, seguin becomes part of the bruins core
crosby and neal have unreal chemistry, crosby puts up 100 points in 60 games/misses the other quarter of the season just to be careful whenever a concussion symptom comes up
stamkos improves drasticly, roloson's play becomes mediocre
few teams are as fast as the habs, their team speed is quite ridiculous
wishart becomes a legitimate top 4 dman while streit puts him under his wing, finish top 5 in scoring
myres proves he is no better then a number 2 dman, erhoff regher and miller carry this team to the play offs
moves dont work yet but still make the play offs as the the seed
parise and kovy have off seasons make a serious play off push but come up short
only spots of hope are skinner ward and staal, everyone else slowly falls apart
dubinsky-richards-gaborik is one of the highest scoring lines in the league, everyone else has a sophomore slump or regresses
young players improve but not by much
although they are mostly overpaid, lower class free agent signings they are a very streaky team at times being top 2 in their division but never being able to hold it
kessel and connoly have good chemistry but connoly only plays 40 games
they are just that bad

playoffs
vs
caps win 4-1
semin green and backstrom surprisingly show up

vs
bruins win 4-2
thomas and chara > miller and myres
vs
isles win 4-1
with crosby and malkin out again for the playoffs for a second season in a row the pens just cant match up to the blend of grit and skill that most isles players have
vs
bolts win 4-3
stamkos and st louis play how everyone expects them to

caps vs isles
caps win 4-3
isles are tired not knowing what it takes to play into the post season and few players show up in the same games for the isles

bruins vs bolts
bolts win 4-1
bruins are tired getting to the second round 3 years in a row and coming off a stanley cup victory the season before

caps vs bolts
caps win 4-3 the caps continue to show up as if there is no pressure on them

Minus the caps winning the cup I think you are pretty close.

I dont think the isles have enough experience to hang with PIT in the playoffs either. They can finish 6 though.

I dont think Philly is gonna be a dominator either. They are pretty old too.

Old
08-31-2011, 01:05 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:

Quote:

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:56 PM
startainfection

Quote:

I dont think the isles have enough experience to hang with PIT in the playoffs either. They can finish 6 though.

I dont think Philly is gonna be a dominator either. They are pretty old too.
i am a firm believer that the isles will never lose to the penguins in the playoffs and i dont see crosby and malkin playing to their fullest come play off time if they are even playing
and the caps do have alot more skill then it takes to win a cup

Old
08-31-2011, 04:16 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
i am a firm believer that the isles will never lose to the penguins in the playoffs and i dont see crosby and malkin playing to their fullest come play off time if they are even playing
and the caps do have alot more skill then it takes to win a cup
I don't want to hijack this thread as I'm an outsider, but with the Caps the question has never been skill.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:11 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I don't want to hijack this thread as I'm an outsider, but with the Caps the question has never been skill.
and i think this is the year that it all works out for them

Old
09-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
While I've said the question marks are injuries and goaltending, one thing that sets up well for the Isles is the very deep offense. They literally could be top 10 in the league for goals scored. That is something they can control and can seperate themselves from the 7-12 pack of Montreal, Philly, Carolina, New Jersey and Toronto.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:53 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
They literally could be top 10 in the league for goals scored.
I agree I think we will finish top 10 goals for, sadly that will be coupled with bottom 10 goals against. lol

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:31 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I agree I think we will finish top 10 goals for, sadly that will be coupled with bottom 10 goals against. lol
I wouldn't bet against that.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Anybody want to change their minds?

10-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Rangers1135

Quote:
Hank is Hank huh? Hank has a hell of a glove hand too doesnt he lol. I dont think I have ever seen him glove a high shot going for the upper part of the net. Down low he is pretty solid with those couch cushions, but up high he's swiss cheese.
Really? Sometimes they have Lundqvist's greatest saves on MSG, and at least a quarter of them are glove high shots. Also that playoff game against the Caps. Great high glove save on an Ovechkin breakaway in overtime.

and this too:

Rangers1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 03:25 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I'll wager Isles are top THREE in goals scored and bottom three in goals against, especially after we comfortably trade Nabby when Reck has two solid games. Reck gets hurt, Montoya does well but gets worn out, Reck comes back all 4.25GAA'ish and all, our D gets worn out and we just make it into the postseason with a resume of fifteen or more blowouts letting up the second most goals yet our scoring is amazing.

If Rick gets hurt early, I withdraw my prediction and say top ten in GAA for the Nabby/Monty tandem (since Monty will get playing time).

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I'll wager Isles are top THREE in goals scored and bottom three in goals against, especially after we comfortably trade Nabby when Reck has two solid games. Reck gets hurt, Montoya does well but gets worn out, Reck comes back all 4.25GAA'ish and all, our D gets worn out and we just make it into the postseason with a resume of fifteen or more blowouts letting up the second most goals yet our scoring is amazing.

If Rick gets hurt early, I withdraw my prediction and say top ten in GAA for the Nabby/Monty tandem (since Monty will get playing time).
Then good thing Poulin is around and should be back on track by the time the trades/injuries set in.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Hockify

I still don't know but I'll make a guess:

-1. Caps
-2. Bruins
-3. Pens
-4. Sabres
-5. Rangers
-6. Canes
-7. TBL
-8. Habs
-9. Isles
10. Devils
11. Leafs
12. Flyers
13. Panthers
14. Jets
15. Sens

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:19 AM
GrabnerIsGod

1-caps-explosive offence
2-bruins-continue excilence
3-pens-crosby re-enters 20 games in and dominates
4-buff-amazing improvements during offseason
5-rags-its all hank plus richards helps get gaborik back to first season stats
6-tampa-little goalie trubble but good enough to overcome it
7-habs-fast hard working team
8-isles-fowards are ready to kicka**. one goalie steps up and plays better than rest
9-cans-skinner plays better but not amazing. good goalkeeping
10-phlyers-IMO made a bad revampe of there line-up. last years team much better
11-devils-the end of brodeur.
12-toronto-ehh whatever
13-jets-big hype but still just the thrashers
14-panthers-did a lot in offseason but i dont think it will payoff
15-sens-still rebuilding

buff wins east

GrabnerIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

1-caps- OV back on his game
2-bruins- Practically the same team
3-pens- With Crosby out, Malkin steps it up big time.
4-buff-Solid club front to back
5-habs- great system and the players buy it. Subban becomes an all-star
6-rags- Depends on if their young Dmen step up, or regress.
7-tampa- Hit or miss here. Don't think Roli can handle the workload all season.
8-isles- JT blows up and Grabner doesn't lose a step. Finish top 10 in scoring.
9-canes- Just not enough difference makers on this team.
10-phlyers-Trades set em back a little, but will rebound soon.
11-toronto- Don't think Reimer can play at that level all season
12-devils- Their D is worse than ours.
13-jets-Scheifele will play great, but not enough depth.
14-panthers-So many new players, chemistry takes too long to develop.
15-sens-still rebuilding

Caps win the east....and the cup.

buff wins east

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote