HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
LMAO we gave up Scottie "the hair" upshall and Ryan "made of glass" Parent. Neither of those guys would even be on the preds right now because they really aren't that good. We also gave up two draft picks we know Poile just would've used to draft undersized D men anyways. So really we didn't give up a whole lot.
Oh, I see. So because he got a good deal on a star player - and got some of those assets back later - it doesn't actually count as a big move. Apparently nowadays you have to be ripped off for a deal to matter.

I guess we'd just better forget entirely about Jeff Carter helping out up here.

Seriously. "We know Poile just would've used..."? Spare me. There's trends you suspect, and then there's actual knowledge. You have the former and you are presenting it as the latter. You therefore fail.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:55 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
for all the "frustrated fans" who believe the "momentum of fandom" has been lost - really? Do you think for one minute that the new fans and newly introduced potential fans paid any attention to the offseason? Maybe a few noticed Weber went to arbitration.

so, we have a few of our "better informed fans" frustrated with Poile? Well heck, sure, cause ya'll are worn out from complaining bout Leggy not scoring like the bloody #2 pick is supposed to. How bout we see what the product on the ice looks like? We have a pretty young team - any chance any of them are gonna' grow and improve, at least a little?

Wilson? any chance he gets any better? Halischuck or Geoffrion? Spaling? any offensive talent there? Any way our D gets better? Maybe Weber or Suter or Klein improve a bit yet? any chance the kids end up playing better than Cube or SOB or Franny? Oh, and the Blum guy???? How bout Orly - had a nice little streak, then a slump - any chance he's any good?

Except for the 3 Dmen from the 03 draft (dang, that is still hard to believe) everyone there is a kid who showed a something last year and at a point in their career where they should show a little more. Will they all? Doubt it. Do I think 1 or 2 will have a breakout year? Wish it was gonna' be Willy, but my money is on Blum.

But.... look what we lost. Dumont. Sully. Ward. Goc. How much did those guys score last year? 40 goals? You telling me that you don't think these kids will cover that? Bergfors and Geoffrion and Wilson growth covers it for sure. Growth from Spaling and Orly and Blum - gravy. Just don't see where the "informed fan" can really complain about the basic team we're gonna' ice. Wanna' complain - it's the PP. (oh, heck, and a whole year of Fisher, too - that won't help at all?)

Do I think Poile botched any of the off-season? Yep - but it's not this one, but the one prior - he bet on the wrong guy; Weber doesn't wanna' captain this team, he wants to play on a cap-spending team where he'll have the high profile and other marketing opportunities. Poile needs to get Suter signed - now. Then he needs to tell El Capitain that they'll be signing by Jan. 15. Jan 15 rolls around and no signing, then he signs Peks and we move forward.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh, I see. So because he got a good deal on a star player - and got some of those assets back later - it doesn't actually count as a big move. Apparently nowadays you have to be ripped off for a deal to matter.

Seriously. "We know Poile just would've used..."? Spare me. There's trends you suspect, and then there's actual knowledge. You have the former and you are presenting it as the latter. You therefore fail.
To be fair, it was later revealed that Leipold directed Poile to make that move as a "last ditch" attempt to save his investment in Nashville. I'm not sure if Poile pulls that move off without some fire under his butt.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Preds311

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
for all the "frustrated fans" who believe the "momentum of fandom" has been lost - really? Do you think for one minute that the new fans and newly introduced potential fans paid any attention to the offseason? Maybe a few noticed Weber went to arbitration.

so, we have a few of our "better informed fans" frustrated with Poile? Well heck, sure, cause ya'll are worn out from complaining bout Leggy not scoring like the bloody #2 pick is supposed to. How bout we see what the product on the ice looks like? We have a pretty young team - any chance any of them are gonna' grow and improve, at least a little?

Wilson? any chance he gets any better? Halischuck or Geoffrion? Spaling? any offensive talent there? Any way our D gets better? Maybe Weber or Suter or Klein improve a bit yet? any chance the kids end up playing better than Cube or SOB or Franny? Oh, and the Blum guy???? How bout Orly - had a nice little streak, then a slump - any chance he's any good?

Except for the 3 Dmen from the 03 draft (dang, that is still hard to believe) everyone there is a kid who showed a something last year and at a point in their career where they should show a little more. Will they all? Doubt it. Do I think 1 or 2 will have a breakout year? Wish it was gonna' be Willy, but my money is on Blum.

But.... look what we lost. Dumont. Sully. Ward. Goc. How much did those guys score last year? 40 goals? You telling me that you don't think these kids will cover that? Bergfors and Geoffrion and Wilson growth covers it for sure. Growth from Spaling and Orly and Blum - gravy. Just don't see where the "informed fan" can really complain about the basic team we're gonna' ice. Wanna' complain - it's the PP. (oh, heck, and a whole year of Fisher, too - that won't help at all?)

Do I think Poile botched any of the off-season? Yep - but it's not this one, but the one prior - he bet on the wrong guy; Weber doesn't wanna' captain this team, he wants to play on a cap-spending team where he'll have the high profile and other marketing opportunities. Poile needs to get Suter signed - now. Then he needs to tell El Capitain that they'll be signing by Jan. 15. Jan 15 rolls around and no signing, then he signs Peks and we move forward.

I agree 100%. Some are letting the sky is falling comments go a little on the excessive side.

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:13 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

I, for one, thought Upshall was overrated so I never really valued him highly. Chances are if Vokoun never would've gotten hurt we may not even be discussing another 1st round exit.

I would love for someone to start a poll asking about the direction of this team after this offseason.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
To be fair, it was later revealed that Leipold directed Poile to make that move as a "last ditch" attempt to save his investment in Nashville. I'm not sure if Poile pulls that move off without some fire under his butt.
Leipold approved the budget increase to make the move possible as a last ditch effort. Poile negotiated and pulled the trigger on the deal. Same as the Fisher trade last year, Poile had to go to management to increase the budget to make the deal, but he was the one that got it done...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I, for one, thought Upshall was overrated so I never really valued him highly. Chances are if Vokoun never would've gotten hurt we may not even be discussing another 1st round exit.

I would love for someone to start a poll asking about the direction of this team after this offseason.
I'd probably vote for "about the same as before". Which is arguably disappointing after so many were hoping for a Great Leap Forward, but at least we're not all dying of starvation as a result of a failed attempt at same.

omg did I really just go there?

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:30 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Um no I disagree with his methods. I am not content with being a bottom playoff team with no higher aspirations than the 2nd round of the playoffs. Poile is great at building teams but not getting teams to the next level. His years with the Caps are a testament to this.

I believe he isn't capitalizing on momentum and his inability to take decisive action is maddening. He hasn't changed over the past decade. He isn't going to change now.

If you have noticed, I am not alone in my thinking. Many fan's have expressed their displeasure. Pull your head out of the sand.
Then you don't understand the business. AT ALL. We HAVE to make the playoffs to break even (or only lose $1-3M a year). That is a fact. We can't pay these expensive ($5-7M) players that will get us 60 points a year, if we can get a cheaper ($2.5-4M) player that will get us 50. Otherwise, we are just throwing $2-3M out the window for the same result.

That's what a SMALL MARKET TEAM is. Again, if you don't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Btw, I agree with what you are saying about Poile. So there is no need for comments like "pull your head out of the sand" since i see it myself. But the difference between you and I is: I understand it. It makes sense to me. We HAVE to do this. We CAN'T lose money.

Again, if you don't like the philosophy that a small market team like us has to take, then STOP BEING A FAN OF THIS TEAM. You are annoying the rest of us with your "sky is falling! We aren't making any moves! AHHHH!!" attitude.

Or you can go be a fan of other small market teams that have had zero success: New York Islanders, Atlanta (whoops) Winnipeg Jets, Phoenix Coytoes, Florida Panthers, St. Louis Blues, Columbus Blue Jackets, Carolina Hurricanes (outside of ONE year -- which btw, they were an EIGHT seed), Ottawa Senators, Calgary Flames, Colorado Avs (post 2005-06), and Buffalo Sabres.

I (oh and Poile) would rather have a team be competitive and make the playoffs and break-even/barely lose money than a team that goes for it all, doesn't make the playoffs and we lose $10M. There is NO other option. The faster you understand that, the better off you are.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:48 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Then you don't understand the business. AT ALL. We HAVE to make the playoffs to break even (or only lose $1-3M a year). That is a fact. We can't pay these expensive ($5-7M) players that will get us 60 points a year, if we can get a cheaper ($2.5-4M) player that will get us 50. Otherwise, we are just throwing $2-3M out the window for the same result.

That's what a SMALL MARKET TEAM is. Again, if you don't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.

Btw, I agree with what you are saying about Poile. So there is no need for comments like "pull your head out of the sand" since i see it myself. But the difference between you and I is: I understand it. It makes sense to me. We HAVE to do this. We CAN'T lose money.

Again, if you don't like the philosophy that a small market team like us has to take, then STOP BEING A FAN OF THIS TEAM. You are annoying the rest of us with your "sky is falling! We aren't making any moves! AHHHH!!" attitude.

Or you can go be a fan of other small market teams that have had zero success: New York Islanders, Atlanta (whoops) Winnipeg Jets, Phoenix Coytoes, Florida Panthers, St. Louis Blues, Columbus Blue Jackets, Carolina Hurricanes (outside of ONE year -- which btw, they were an EIGHT seed), Ottawa Senators, Calgary Flames, Colorado Avs (post 2005-06), and Buffalo Sabres.

I (oh and Poile) would rather have a team be competitive and make the playoffs and break-even/barely lose money than a team that goes for it all, doesn't make the playoffs and we lose $10M. There is NO other option. The faster you understand that, the better off you are.
Here's the problem.

The ownership and management have come out and repeatedly said the "small market mentality is over in Nashville" and the "goal is not to just make the playoffs, but to bring the Cup to Nashville".

That could be the biggest load of marketing guff in the world and it wouldn't matter.

Fans have always had the right to complain. The ownership and management have now given them justification.

Much like you, I understand some of Poile's moves (even if I don't necessarily agree with all of them, for what little that's worth)- and it doesn't matter.

I can't blame a fan or player now for calling the bluff that's been put out there. The Predators have made that bed with both and they are now being forced to sleep in it.

Right now, they are still living on the high from last season. If things don't go well this season, the market will right itself soon and will catch up to the team.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:05 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Here's the problem.

The ownership and management have come out and repeatedly said the "small market mentality is over in Nashville" and the "goal is not to just make the playoffs, but to bring the Cup to Nashville".

That could be the biggest load of marketing guff in the world and it wouldn't matter.

Fans have always had the right to complain. The ownership and management have now given them justification.

Much like you, I understand some of Poile's moves (even if I don't necessarily agree with all of them, for what little that's worth)- and it doesn't matter.

I can't blame a fan or player now for calling the bluff that's been put out there. The Predators have made that bed with both and they are now being forced to sleep in it.

Right now, they are still living on the high from last season. If things don't go well this season, the market will right itself soon and will catch up to the team.
Agreed...and not only is Poile on the record for repeatedly saying that ownership has granted a higher budget, but he has also gone on the record saying we have a glaring need as a top-6 scorer. As fans, when the GM says there's money available and a need on the team, there really isn't any excuse to be in this position. Especially after the Franson trade and we continue to sit on the floor. I truly hope a trade is done here soon.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:10 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Here's the problem.

The owners have always been careful to hedge their increased spending statements with the need for increased attendance. Once the team adds its 6th healthy d-man, we're at last years cap total. Call up a few players, and the team needs players to miss bonuses to stay near last year's cap hit. Add a $4mil player and the team spends well over last year, even if that addition is at the deadline.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:22 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Here's the problem.

I can agree with this. The problem isn't just the lack of movement. It's wiser to expect no big moves than any big moves simply based on the small amount of those types of transactions that occur. The trouble is that management had the fan base believing that the team that got everyone so pumped up last year is going to be even better this year. They were going to cast off the image of a glorified farm club. They were going to easily get Weber locked up, and then Suter and Rinne, and then they would plug the very few holes we had left. Everyone was so excited after the initial disappointment of being ousted by the Canucks wore off.

Now, a lot of folks, including myself, are frustrated. Part of that is due to the long, boring summer. Part of it is the bitter taste left in our mouths after Weber went to arbitration rather than being locked up for five or six years. Part of it, for some, is the lack of landing a big name forward.

I agree that everyone has the right to complain about the way the team is managed. We pay our hard earned, and sometimes irresponsibility so, in order to support the team. The only issue I have is when the frustration, either with the team or with fellow fans, boils over to constant bickering and personal attacks. This is getting a bit out of hand.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The owners have always been careful to hedge their increased spending statements with the need for increased attendance. Once the team adds its 6th healthy d-man, we're at last years cap total. Call up a few players, and the team needs players to miss bonuses to stay near last year's cap hit. Add a $4mil player and the team spends well over last year, even if that addition is at the deadline.
Always? Don't know that I agree with that, but I'll concede most of the time they have. (For example, I don't often remember the proclamations from ownership that Weber and Suter will be Predators for a long time being accompanied with the attendance caveat.)

Have they experienced increases in attendance? Have they experienced increases in sponsors? Did they get additional playoff revenue?

By comparing dollars spent strictly to last year's budget, are you implying that the team can't keep up with at at least spending to the midpoint (which they are farther from I believe, not counting bonuses, than you indicate)- despite the especially large increases to attendance, sponsor dollars, and playoff revenue?

If that's the case, that signals a much more significant problem. For the record- I'm not implying or speculating anything of the such. There is no evidence of which I'm aware that indicates such either.

That aside, do you disagree with my assertion that ownership and management have (at least at times) painted a picture that put them into the position of making this off-season look especially worse?

Old
08-31-2011, 04:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I get tired of being labelled all "sky is falling" or "negative" for pointing out this is not been his best offseason.

I've supported almost everything the Predators have done, even with the things I don't like, I understand them most of the time. Like I said, I understood the Franson move, it sucks but that's life in the small market.

I don't understand the feet dragging that has been going on with our 3 star players, I don't like that we haven't really addressed the goal scoring issues. On the flip side, I understand FA market was nuts and not money well spent. I understand letting Goc and Ward both walk for more money.

I love what Poile does with the draft but I hate the way he handles contracts. I hate that Arnott, Dumont and Kariya had to call Nashville. I loved the Steve Sullivan trade.

And I for one, like the way David Legwand plays center......

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Always? Don't know that I agree with that, but I'll concede most of the time they have. (For example, I don't often remember the proclamations from ownership that Weber and Suter will be Predators for a long time being accompanied with the attendance caveat.)

Have they experienced increases in attendance? Have they experienced increases in sponsors? Did they get additional playoff revenue?

By comparing dollars spent strictly to last year's budget, are you implying that the team can't keep up with at at least spending to the midpoint (which they are farther from I believe, not counting bonuses, than you indicate)- despite the especially large increases to attendance, sponsor dollars, and playoff revenue?

If that's the case, that signals a much more significant problem. For the record- I'm not implying or speculating anything of the such. There is no evidence of which I'm aware that indicates such either.

That aside, do you disagree with my assertion that ownership and management have (at least at times) painted a picture that put them into the position of making this off-season look especially worse?
Has the payroll jumped about $28mil since pre-lockout?

Old
08-31-2011, 04:43 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Does anyone have a link confirming that Arnott, Dumont, and Kariya had to call Poile to initiate contact? I'm not saying that it isn't the case, or that they didn't at least make the first move, but I haven't seen any actual reports that confirm either they did make the initial call or, to the more extreme, that Poile hadn't planned on contacting them. I'm just curious since this has been tossed around quite a bit over the years.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Greg1420

I thought that was you Crispy

Greg1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 05:02 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Does anyone have a link confirming that Arnott, Dumont, and Kariya had to call Poile to initiate contact? I'm not saying that it isn't the case, or that they didn't at least make the first move, but I haven't seen any actual reports that confirm either they did make the initial call or, to the more extreme, that Poile hadn't planned on contacting them. I'm just curious since this has been tossed around quite a bit over the years.
It is certainly not true in Kariyas case, and anyone suggesting otherwise is just perpetuating an urban legend.

We landed Kariya because we were very aggressive. Coming out of the lockout there were other high profile FAs and Kariya wasnt considered the top of the class but we called him first before anyone else and sold him hard. Greg Johnson apparently played a key role in convincing PK to sign, as well.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 05:04 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Has the payroll jumped about $28mil since pre-lockout?
That doesn't matter for the upcoming season. That won't matter for the seasons after that. You brought money up, I didn't, but you did so in comparison to last season. Revenue sharing theoretically allows a team to spend to the midpoint (with both levels of revenue sharing). Nashville is far from the midpoint right now. There's room for more than a $4 million player, if you look at the midpoint.

Take that, the playoff breakthrough, throw in the ridiculously poor situation this team finds itself in with its core players, then the bravado from ownership and management and here we are.

You dodged my question, 101. Do you think that the ownership and management group have painted a picture that makes this off-season look especially bad?

Last edited by David Singleton: 08-31-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old
08-31-2011, 05:06 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I get tired of being labelled all "sky is falling" or "negative" for pointing out this is not been his best offseason.
I don't think anyone is upset about that. In fact, I think most people agree with that statement.

It is the fact that people are saying, "I'm getting tired..." or "I'm sick and tired...". All I was saying is get used to it.

And me calling out "the sky is falling" talk is to the people who assume and think they know how Poile manages this team. I am pretty sure I know who told pf98 what she posted on here... I also am 99% sure that 99% of that story is true, and 1% of it exaggerated.

Talk to ANY real life PRO GM and they will tell you that trades sometimes take a YEAR to complete. They sometimes take MONTHS to complete. As a matter of fact, I won't name names, but I talked to one GM here recently and the fastest trade he ever pulled took 48 hours. And outside of that, the other fastest of his took 1-2 weeks. This isn't EA Sports NHL 11. Other GM's around the league are trying to keep their job just as much as David Poile. Poile is handicapped compared to others as he has a smaller budget and manages in a non-traditional market. If you don't think that hinders him, then we will just have to agree to disagree on this whole subject.

Quote:
Has the salary cap floor not been imposed post lockout.

**** this. The fact I hold I different belief about the future of the team makes me a debby downer or earns me the title of radical with no rational solutions to our team's problems. I wrote for the team for two years, I have been a play by play and color commentator for a college hockey team. I am currently a writer for said hockey team and soon to be tv color commentator for the team. I am not some bumpkin and I am tired of being treated like one.
I don't think anyone is treating you like that. I understand your disappointment in this offseason, but to act like Poile is just sitting on his hands and not on the phone right now trying to make a deal with LA, Buffalo, and NYR is ludicrous. No one knows whether teams are willing to give up pieces in a trade for Weber. No one knows whether Rinne wants to negotiate now. No one knows whether Suter wants to stay long-term. So you can't bash Poile just because we don't know these facts.

Step down from the ledge. It is a LOOOOOOOOOONG fall.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Do you think that the ownership and management group have painted a picture that makes this off-season look especially bad?
No, but I can see how others do. It's been a horrid summer in terms of PR. But that's all it's been. The team is still on an upward progression on the ice and has strengthened their ability to add a piece(s) to aid in that direction.

If you can get past the horrid PR, there hasn't been much change at all to our team on the ice. Summer needs to end and quickly...

Old
08-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Can I just delete my post and put +1 with this quote instead? Great post...
You could, but there is a minimum character limit that needs to be met before a post will appear. "+1" wouldn't meet that threshold.

Old
08-31-2011, 05:17 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, but I can see how others do. It's been a horrid summer in terms of PR. But that's all it's been. The team is still on an upward progression on the ice and has strengthened their ability to add a piece(s) to aid in that direction.

If you can get past the horrid PR, there hasn't been much change at all to our team on the ice. Summer needs to end and quickly...
Thanks Seth!

I agree with the bolded part. They are in the best position, financially, to add pieces.

I don't necessarily agree with the part I underlined (after realizing that a quote is entirely italicized, lol). This season will not see the depth of last season, as youth will be on those third and fourth lines and not players like Dumont (and later Sullivan) who you know could contribute on a top line in a pinch (like both proved in the playoffs).

There is more potential this year for a year like two years ago due to the increased youth and the distractions surrounding the core three. Problem is, to retain the core three, the team can't step back like it did two years ago.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 08-31-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added the italics
Old
08-31-2011, 05:23 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
That doesn't matter for the upcoming season. That won't matter for the season's after that. You brought money up, I didn't, but you did so in comparison to last season. Revenue sharing theoretically allows a team to spend to the midpoint (with both levels of revenue sharing). Nashville is far from the midpoint right now. There's room for more than a $4 million player, if you look at the midpoint.

Take that, the playoff breakthrough, throw in the ridiculously poor situation this team finds itself in with its core players, then the bravado from ownership and management and here we are.

You dodged my question, 101. Do you think that the ownership and management group have painted a picture that makes this off-season look especially bad?
It's just as much a case of unrealistic expectations from fans than the owners/managers painting a bad picture. Fans heard "spend more" and images of Gretzky (ok, Parise) danced in their heads. Then the cap took a huge jump up, and Weber took forever to get signed (plenty of blame on all sides there), and we now sit realistically about to enter the season with the same cap hit we ended with last season ... without the customary Aug/Sep acquisition as yet. The front office could have done things better, but, a vocal section of the fanbase would be complaining now no matter what. We make things out to be worse than they usually are. A RFA taking forever to sign a contract is nothing new ... neither is a team filing for arbitration to prevent offer sheets and maintain exclusive negotiating rights. This time the team is rumored to have offered up to 7yrs at $7mil each and the player wanted one year. Ugly, but, not the end of the universe.

This is still a small market with a team that isn't drawing enough to risk losing the escrow phase of revenue sharing .... so the midpoint is our cap. We had a contract dispute between the team and #1 domino that needed to topple early this summer but dragged on until August. After the shenanigans of the arbitration hearing, I see Weber as domino #4 right now .... Suter #1, Rinne #2, Forward help #3, Weber #4 come Jan 1st. Reading some of the comments here you would think that Poile was supposed to be in baggage claim with a contract ready for Rinne and Suter to sign. They just got back into town ... there is a need for negotiating time.

Old
08-31-2011, 06:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

I'll take it a step further. I think only we rabid hockey types have thought its a bad summer. The average fans are apparently still excited. Season tix sales are reportedly brisk. Corporate sponsors appear to be jumping on the bandwagon.

I suspect they arent sweating and fretting at 501 Broadway.

Lets start the season and get off to a fast start and get everyone to remember that we are already a really good team, and go from there..

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote