Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Langkow to the Coyotes

Old
08-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Now that it's sunk in, I'm not sure I like this trade. I understand we had a logjam at center, and we cleared space in the process, but the guy was a total warrior on the ice. Maybe it's because he was one of my favorites, but this is starting to sting a bit.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:02 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Now that it's sunk in, I'm not sure I like this trade. I understand we had a logjam at center, and we cleared space in the process, but the guy was a total warrior on the ice. Maybe it's because he was one of my favorites, but this is starting to sting a bit.
Feaster said after talking to Sutter it probably wasn't in their plans to bring Langkow back after this season, at least not at that kind of contract. So we got a more movable asset in Stempniak at the deadline if it is not working out for someone that we would of got nothing back in return in Langkow.

I do get what you are saying, and I agree that it sucks I really liked Langkow too. But hockey is a business and this was the best thing for the Flames.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Let's hope it will be the Stempniak from Phoenix and not the one from Toronto....

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
getoverit

I didnt like the trade initially, probably because it was more emotional, Lankow was a warrior, enjoyed his time, but I do think this is a good deal for both teams. One of the first moves I actually like that Feaster has done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Feaster said after talking to Sutter it probably wasn't in their plans to bring Langkow back after this season, at least not at that kind of contract. So we got a more movable asset in Stempniak at the deadline if it is not working out for someone that we would of got nothing back in return in Langkow.

I do get what you are saying, and I agree that it sucks I really liked Langkow too. But hockey is a business and this was the best thing for the Flames.

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
yeah, I had a whole lot more in there, and when I posted I must have accidentally erased a bunch of it. Anyways it doesn't make sense, and regardless I've changed my opinion on the trade.

I like it, think Stempniak has good skill and speed. Hopefully he works out well for us, because he has been up and down more then a yo-yo in the last 5 years. I'm wishing for Sutter to bring more work ethic out of him and he is in a contract year, so...Hoping for good things, but not overly optimistic.

Last edited by The Gnome: 08-30-2011 at 10:06 AM.
The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

We got younger. Isn't that pretty much already a win for the Flames, according to all of HFBoards? Younger = Cups. Older = Never gonna win a damn thing.

On the serious side of it though, Langkow will be missed, but I would like to see what Stempniak brings to the table. Feaster did a half-decent job with this trade, but I'd like to have seen a low pick coming back.

Things Feaster still needs to do:
Acquire 2 or more picks from rounds 1-4.

Move 1-2 of our current 5-7th defencemen for next season and actually let the young players develop on the NHL blueline.

Trade Ivanans because why the hell not, we have Jackman, we have Kostopoulous, and our team without Ivanans isn't a pushover on toughness anyways. Not a huge deal here since he'll be UFA at the end of the year, but to get him off our books AND get something in return would be nice.

Last edited by Signature: 08-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Signature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:40 AM
The Gnome

^^^ Not to mention PL3, Ivannans has to go, especially since Sutter expressed his desire to see PL3 on this team.

Anyways...I like this roster heading into camp. I know people are worried aobut young guys getting a shot, but if Feaster holds true to his word then everyone is on a level playing field.

Once pre-season starts drawing to a close hopefully we can start looking at moving out the pieces that just don't fit. A guy like Hagman could look to be very attractive to a team that has top 9 winger injuries in the pre-season. At the same time, Hagman gets his shot to impress in camp and to start the year.

Trading other players now, unless someone offers a good deal and pushes hard, would be a waste I think.

Old
08-30-2011, 01:28 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 1300
Crazy Ivanans is still suffering from the concussion, it's unlikely he'll ever play (in the NHL) again.

After sleeping on this trade, I like it. Gives the Flames three decent scoring lines, the only issue I have is the lack of a solid two-way centre. I guess the powers that be think any of Morrison, Stajan or Backlund can be that guy.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Crazy Ivanans is still suffering from the concussion, it's unlikely he'll ever play (in the NHL) again.

After sleeping on this trade, I like it. Gives the Flames three decent scoring lines, the only issue I have is the lack of a solid two-way centre. I guess the powers that be think any of Morrison, Stajan or Backlund can be that guy.
I think the good thing about Morrison is his felxibility to play different roles depending on team needs. The only issue would be if you put him in that role, one would have to hope that Backlund can step-up big time.

Damn you August!

Old
08-31-2011, 04:42 PM
flamesfan1991

Stempniak said he is excited to come play in a hockey market and he's in the final year of his contract, so we may be getting a hungry player. If it doesn't work out, he walks at the end of the year. Great trade in my books.

flamesfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:53 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Stempniak played in Toronto and that's a pretty big hockey market.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 05:07 PM
flamesfan1991

I think people had too high of expectations when he was traded to the Leafs(typical), he only really had one stand out season with the Blues(52 points in 06-07). He will most likely be a solid third liner for us. The main reason why I like the trade is not so much because of the return, but because of the cap room and the fact that we can walk away after a year.

flamesfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 05:30 PM
HoshiBlitz

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1991 View Post
The main reason why I like the trade is not so much because of the return, but because of the cap room and the fact that we can walk away after a year.
If he puts together a decent season and he is deemed expendable, I can see him being dealt for a return similar to what Higgins got back - prospect and a mid-round pick. His cap-hit is lower than Langkow's and doesn't have a NMC/NTC so he can be easily dealt at the deadline or whenever. A team looking for some depth would surely pick him up.

HoshiBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote