HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your Analysis of our D tonight

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2005, 12:15 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

vCash: 500
I thought that the defensive corps was alright in general. They need to adapt to the new rules a little bit more but they played an adequate game. Souray had a few mistakes but overall he wasn't THAT bad. He generated a few chances on the poweplay and his positioning was alright, so was his mobility. He made a few defensive mistakes though. He looked bad on a few plays but I think that everything is going to get back in order soon.

The defensive system and the back-checking wasn't effective at all... Julien needs to do his homeworks because our transition game sucked and the back-checking wasn't effective. That was our forward's fault.

Old
10-06-2005, 01:00 AM
zx81

I hate Rivet but he was ok tonight. In fact he was pretty much invisible ,which is a good thing for him He didn't make too many mistakes.

Bouillon played a good game but I'm not sure he should play on the PP.

Old
10-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Slick Nick

Souray was horrible in his own end but was almost OK up front. Bouillon played solid. Rivet and Markov were both quiet but good. Komisarek would have been great if he could play on an NHL level at last, he's such a gifted player, I can't wait till he does everythig right! Dandenault has been great but had troubled sequences too, seems he needs some time to get a full chemistry with the rest of the team.

Old
10-06-2005, 01:41 AM
Mike8

I thought Dandenault was Montreal's best defenseman by a wide margin tonight. Good composure, pinned his man along the boards well and used his body to box opponents out of danger areas properly.

Bouillon still struggled to contain players in front of the net, and he always will. Yes, he gave excellent second efforts to limit the scoring opportunities that arose (in part) due to his inability to control the crease area, but he still has issues with the crease area.

I didn't think Markov was all that bad. Looked good with the pokecheck and eliminated a few dangerous situations before they got started. Sure, he tried to connect with the long-bomb passes and failed a couple of times, but he was solid by and large down low.

Komisarek was good. Showed more mean streak. Contained well along the boards and kept things simple down low. Still looked tentative with the puck, though I think one of his better talents is the break-out pass. Still seems reluctant with the puck despite that though.

Souray was bad. Got out of position to look for hits, tried stickhandling by opponents, poor passes, etc. Tried to do too much. He needs to keep his defensive game simple.

I didn't think much of Rivet's game tonight. I thought he was poor down low and had a couple of brain cramps in front of the net that led to scoring chances. I think Rivet made Markov look bad, and Markov tried to compensate too much for Rivet.

I'll have to check later, but there was a play where I think McEachern was coming in from the side boards ... Markov had stood up to him and wound up chasing him because Rivet was out of position. Markov fell behind due to a pick by a Bruin forward, Rivet took Markov's spot (as he should have) and covered the front of the net. When McEachern started closing in on Theodore from the sideboards (non-threatening position at that time), Rivet needed to go and stand him up ... instead, Rivet backed off and gave McEachern full access to the slot. Theodore had to be sharp for the save.

There was no Bruin on the far side of the crease. The only other Bruin forward was in the high slot and covered by a Hab forward. Rivet was covering nobody and then started to move away from where he needed to be. There were a few occasions where Rivet made equally puzzling moves down low.

On the whole, I thought the Hab D was OK. Wasn't too good with transition-offense, did better than usual against the Bruins forwards down low, and generally adjusted well to the new rules ... definitely wouldn't have wanted to see Quintal with these new rules.

Old
10-06-2005, 01:50 AM
grapeshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsurd
How could you not notice Bouillon ??!! He didn't get star #1 for sitting on the bench. He prob had the most minutes of all the habs D tonight !
Code:
MARKOV, ANDREI           24:12
RIVET, CRAIG		22:02
SOURAY, SHELDON	 21:26
DANDENAULT, MATHIEU	19:21
BOUILLON, FRANCIS	18:44	
KOMISAREK, MICHAEL     12:22

Old
10-06-2005, 02:05 AM
NewHabsEra*

As Im saying again and over again, our D is badly underrated by almost everyone...

Solid mix of puckmovers and physical guys... Julien is an important factor to consider though, amazing teacher..

Habs played extremmely poor offensively and still managed to win tonight, they couldnt create anything.. Dagenais kill our second line and Sundstrom doesnt bring the offensive edge Hossa would have brought on the third line... 2 spots that still can be upgraded with our kids (Perez, Higgs, Pleks).. Hope the main prob will be fixed as soon as tommorow against the Rags!

Dagenais = ECHL skills.. His shot makes him an average AHLer at best.

Old
10-06-2005, 02:07 AM
Minos

I think Bouillon probably played his best game ever tonight and it was great to watch... not tallent wise, but as far as attitude goes and how he plays the game he reminds me of Doug Gilmour - a big man's confidence in a little man's body.

Beyond Bouillon standing out, I think as a group the D played well together. They were shaky at times and make some mistakes but maybe more importantly they generally recovered from their mistakes pretty quickly...there didn't seem to be alot of panic.

What looks most promissing to me was how well the forwards came back and chipped in defensively - especiallys Begin, Higgins and Plekancek (who I also thought were the most intertaining to watch) - and how often that translated into a good transition game. The transitions weren't as smooth as they need to be, but the signs of good things were there tonight - with some fine tuning our transition game and speed is going to create alot of scoring chances for us.

Old
10-06-2005, 06:41 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I would say that Souray and Markov were the only two who disappointed me. Souray was really running around like he did last year in the playoffs, and it can't be any fun to be paired with him when he's playing like that. Markov wasn't actually bad, he just disappointed on the basis that I expect him to be one of our top-2 on D every night.

The rest were fine. Komisarek seemed to have more jump than in the pre-season, which is a relief. Bouillon was very good, or at least, very noticeable. Rivet and Dandenault did their jobs, and if they keep playing just like that for 82 games, they might even nearly earn their exorbitant salaries.

Old
10-06-2005, 07:01 AM
slick_adonis

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutmania
Rivet was very good. Best D after Bouillon. C'mon it's not because he's overpaid that he can't be fairly good.

Komi...played good in third period, somewhat shaky sometimes. Hitting Axelsson would have give him a crazy but still, was physical nonetheless.

Souray...ouch, ouch, ouch. Terrible, clumsy, slow, always late.

Markov, same old, show flashes of what he can do.

Dandenault, good, safe, effective, hitting is not his game but still take his man out. Really liked him. I'm comfortable with it.

Big big big koudos to Bouillon. Was the best. I don't understand all the bashing he's getting here. We gotta get over is small size and appreciate his work. He hit Thornton hard once.
I think we saw the game the same way. People tend to bash Rivet unfairly (I'll be the first to admit that I'm a part of that group). Rivet was very good last night...easily our second best D after Bouillon yesterday. Quit drinkin' yer HATERADE!

At the other end of the spectrum, I'm not sure how people can say Komisarek was great yesterday...he was very erratic in the first two periods, and lucky for him, Bouillon bailed him out more than once.

If I had to give them ratings for last night, I'd say:

Bouillon: 9/10
Rivet: 8/10
Dandenault: 7/10
Markov: 7/10
Komisarek: 6/10
Souray: 4/10

Old
10-06-2005, 07:04 AM
mcphee

I thought Markov struggled. He forced long passes after it was clear that Boston was sitting in the neutral zone waitning to spring the trap. I thought Rivet kept it simple,got the puck out of his zone,didn't run around too much and was strong on the pk. I noticed once or twice how he joined the rush,but peeeld bach when there was no play.

Souray worked hard, I just thought he seemed very deliberate with the puck. He isn't the toughest guy to read and that'll be a factor on the pp. He was shaky handling the puck.

Dandenault was strong 1 on 1 for the most part, kept good body position. I never noticed him joining a rush, Boston controlled the neutral zone so there wasn't a lot of chances.

Bouillon,imo, had one of his best games. He wanted the puck and competed in every situation. I don't think he'll ever be a good point man, but he had a strong game.

I liked Komi, he gets in trouble with reads still, but the effort's there. Their pairing wasn't a problem.

Overall, I thought,the weak point was the gap between forwards and d men. Forwards left the zone early,or if a winger took a pass on the boards,he was stuck there as his linemates took off rather than supporting the puck a bit more. Probably a bit too much in love with the long bomb right now.

I think the key to playing D in these rules will be taking way passing lanes. If you can't eliminate the player,you have to deny him the puck and I thought both teams did a good job of this.

Old
10-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Darz

Well to beat a dead horse, Bouillon had a great game. I think the new rules are going to suit a guy like him well. The clutching and grabbing of bigger forwards, isn't allowed anymore, so in turn, shouldn't be a weakness of his anymore, so.... He looked good right from the start of the game, and seem to be making things happen all night.

Dandenault impressed me. Played a smart game, and didn't make any bad mistakes. If he can play this way all season, I will be very happy.

Markov, Komisarek & Rivet would all be in the category of didn't impress me, didn't disappointed. Komisarek is still going to need time to polish his game, but he is looking better game in and game out.

Souray, as others have mentinoed, had a bit of a rough game, but I didn't see anything I am too worried about. I think Julien will probablely have a talk with Souray about overhandling the puck and a couple other things and everything will be fine.

I thought as a group overall they had a good game, didn't allow a lot of close in shots. At the same time they didn't seem to pinch in offensively as much as they thought they would, but hey, a road win in Boston....good game.

10-06-2005, 08:38 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp
Bouillon : You can bash him like you want, but he was clearly our best D. Made great plays and few mistakes. He gave his 110% and blocked some shots. He saved a goal on McEachern

Komi: Was steady. Made few mistakes and gave good checks. Didn't seemed too slow out there. Handled the big guys really well. Had two or three good shots, but they went wide. I'd like to see him hit the net.

Dandenault: Played good. I liked how he played against the thornton line. Wasn't overly offensive, but was great in his own end.

Markov: Was ok. Made a couple of mistakes and I thought he was trying to hard. Made long and hard pass that were intercepted. Played good in his own end, but that'sit. Anyway, it's only the first game.

Rivest: Thought he was bad. Didn't made good pass and seemed sometimes slow. Was always 2nd on the puck and made a lot of mistakes in his own end. Didn't use enough his body.

Souray: BAD!! That was terrible. Made a lot of mistakes and got cut two or three times. He gave away the puck at least 10 times and was slow. He has a deadly shot tho.

P.S. I didn't put this in the GDT because it's hard to find exactly what your looking for in these kind of threads.
I agree 100%. It's just as we feared. Souray and Rivet might have trouble with the new rules... Bonk had to draw a penalty at one point because Souray was so out of position.

Dandenault was ok. He's a third pair guy really.

I think we're going to have a long season watching these guys until we get some help tho.

Old
10-06-2005, 09:13 AM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Sundstrom doesnt bring the offensive edge Hossa would have brought on the third line...
Sundtrom created maybe the best scoring chance (the goal by Bulis) with a superb backhand pas over the stick of a Bruins player. A pass that was right on the tape to Bulis that was going full speed.

You may not like him, but he is a decent NHL player and he will help offensively a little bit, and is A LOT better than Hossa will ever be defensively.

Sundstrom is still in Montréal because he helps the team a lot. He's not flashy, but you need this kind of player on your team...

Old
10-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Season Ticket Holder

If I had to rank their performance last night, I would go as follows:

Bouillon
Dandenault
Komisarek / Markov / Rivet
Souray

Fairly close to what most people are saying.

If Bouillon is capable of playing that well most of the season it will be good for the team. He may get worn down due to his size, but only time will tell.

He was -by far- the best defenseman on the ice for the Habs.

Dandenault played a solid game. He played against the Thornton line a lot (MAN is Thornton big, unbelievable...) He was fast, which is nice to see. Not much offense, but I'm happy if he deals with his own end first.

Komisarek / Markov / Rivet all hand solid, but average nights.

Komisarek played a simple game, which is a good thing. If he has a chance to be a bit more physical, then that would be the place for him to step it up just a bit.

Markov tried to do a few things that didn't work, but if they had, he would have been hailed as a superstar. I don't mind if he takes those risks (someone has to) as long as he backs it up with solid play in his own end.

Rivet wasn't bad at all. He's a bit slow, but he's always been a bit slow. Still, I don't recall him taking any stupid penalties, and I don't recall seeing him be way out of position at any critical point. Rivet has to stick to a simple, defensive, reasonably physical game (which isn't easy against guys the size of Thornton, Murray...) Rivet's never going to get faster, but if he plays simple, defensive hockey, he'll be fine.

Souray, as many have pointed out, made the most errors, and the most glaring errors. Fish out of water a bit, trying too hard, too nervous, who knows. I expect we'll see better things from Souray soon.

STH

Old
10-06-2005, 11:42 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
I think we're going to have a long season watching these guys until we get some help tho.
Well, these guys held Boston to only 1 goal, none in a Boston PP. Won us the game 2-1 on the road, in Boston (one of the favorites this year). And if not for Theo slightly soft goal, it would have been a shutout. If "These" guys play like this all season, we may finish first in the division!!!! And I do think Komi will get better and Souray will have better nights. Sounds good to me.

Old
10-06-2005, 11:54 AM
NewHabsEra*

[QUOTE=jester099] and is A LOT better than Hossa will ever be defensively.

[QUOTE]

In your own world only... In the true one, Hossa is not only alot more skilled than Sundstrom but way more effective! We definitively lost a solid top 6 who would have been an upgrade even on Bulis.

Hossa scored one goal last night and expect him to reach about 50 pts this year...

Old
10-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Habsaku

[QUOTE=NewHabsArea][QUOTE=jester099] and is A LOT better than Hossa will ever be defensively.

Quote:

In your own world only... In the true one, Hossa is not only alot more skilled than Sundstrom but way more effective! We definitively lost a solid top 6 who would have been an upgrade even on Bulis.

Hossa scored one goal last night and expect him to reach about 50 pts this year...
, werent you gone? Seriously, what are you talking about? Hossa was far from a wizard defensively. Wether you like it or not, Sundstrom played a great game and he's good defensively. Not only that, but theres a reason why Hossa hasnt been a regular NHL player, because hes not effective. Wake up from your dream world.

Oh and by the way, did you see the devils game yesterday? Because Martin Brodeur put on a goaltending clinic. Overrated .

Old
10-06-2005, 12:03 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Hossa is not only alot more skilled than Sundstrom but way more effective!
Since when? Since the first 2 games of training camp? Since his average second half of season last year in Europe? Since his last poor outings in the NHL in the Habs' jersey? Wow! How can he be more effective (without having play a single season) than a guy that is allready effective?

Old
10-06-2005, 12:26 PM
jester099

[QUOTE=NewHabsArea][QUOTE=jester099] and is A LOT better than Hossa will ever be defensively.

Quote:

You should seriously consider giving up on the dope...

You don't seam to be able to diferentiate fantasy than the real thing anymore.

But maybe you're right... CJ and BG probably chose Sundstrom over Hossa because they wanted to make the team worst.

Old
10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
Her wasn't a star and played the 5th most (outta 6..).

U'r right...he was just under Dand for 5th in time. On RDS he was 1st star...deservedly so.Check the last line on the cnds.com site...game review: Bouillon 1st in hits + layed out THornton !

Old
10-06-2005, 05:35 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
The more I think about it, the more I think that Hossa (Marcel) will end up similar to Sundstrom. His confidence is shaky at best, he's good at both ends without actuelly being great at anything. He's bigger though..

As for Bouillon, yeah, I did say he had a good game habsurd, I just don't think it was worthy of a star, just like www.nhl.com thought... he was the first star of the RDS crew.

3 stars:
1. Michael Ryder
2. Patrice Bergeron
3. José Théodore

Old
10-06-2005, 05:59 PM
onemorecup*

if BOUILLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester099
Bouillon is probably the most underrated player of the NHL on this board and in the NHL.

I don't care what any of you guys say... he's small, but he stands his own against bigger guys. He hits pretty well guys that try to get past him near the board.

Doesn't turn the puck over in his zone.

Intelligent player.

He's a solid D. If he wasn't so small, everybody would call him a dependable #3 D. He doesn't even play small, but because of his size, people call him a 7th D...
IS A SOLID DMAN WE ARE IN TROUBLE. .He is 6th 7th dman , waived by an expansion team, who doesn`t make your team any
better. Lets get real when we praise this guy, he wouldn`t play on 15 teams in this league.

Old
10-06-2005, 06:10 PM
GreatWhiteLark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD
Komi was gonna kill Axelsson with a HUGE hit on the boards in the middle zone, but Axelsson let himself fall to the ice to avoid it
Axelsson still probably had nightmares all night about that one....they would have been shoveling him in peices in the same garbage as they put the cups in.

Closed Thread