HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Can we trade Isbister before the hole league realizes he sucks!

Closed Thread

Old
10-22-2003, 02:33 AM
G-Double

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner

I guess it just seems to me that over the summer, the HF boards are really starting to resemble other hockey boards-where outside comments net results like "You think *our guy* is bad? Well *your guy* sucks even more". Sad. It's like "If you can't say nice things about player, get lost." Especially true of the Canadian boards, like Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton...
I agree, the boards seem to be going a bit downhill with the whole, "Post lots, post LOUD, and aggressive" type atmosphere that many of the new posters are binging with them from other boards. I really thought HF's was going to start editing and screening the type of people they let in, but i guess when its free it is hard to get someone to do it just out of the love for what the boards used to be. I don't get near as much out of the boards as i used to...there is too much wading(sp) through crap post after crap post...wow that sounds harsh, maybe its cuz it is 4:30am...but maybe its the truth?

Old
10-22-2003, 02:39 AM
Allan

I have been making liberal use of the "Ignore" feature. It makes it seem like those people aren't even there, although occasionally I will get 2/3 of a thread cut out. Not much lost, though. I hope I'm not irritating anyone out there.

Old
10-22-2003, 04:25 AM
FunkyChicken

I'm hoping that Lowe can kill several ducks with one stone by moving most of the Oilers dead weight in a single trade.

Maybe something like:
To CHI: Salo, Isbister, Comrie, Rita
To EDM: Thibault, Bell, Arnason

Couldn't think of a way to include the every slowing Jason Smith into the equation.

Old
10-22-2003, 05:26 AM
Malmo_Mike

People really need to slow down, it's six games in and Isbister hasn't turned it on yet...big deal. Neither has Sundin. These boards are great but holy man do people freak out after a loss. Analyzing the game isn't a problem but people out right bashing our own players gets old pretty fast. I don't want to see what it's like here after a 4 game losing streak.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:26 AM
Mizral

I wasn't making a crack against the Oilers. I was making a crack against Isbister, whom I don't view as that great of a player. *shrugs*. Hey, Brad May is a peice of crap hockey player too, if you wan't equal-opportunity crapping-on.

You guys need to be able to seperate the 'players' from the 'team' more often. Heck, look at all the 'Salo Sucks' posts on the two main Oiler boards over this last day. I don't see a ton of people attacking those posters - why? Because they are justified in what they are saying! I'm pretty sure most here would agree with my assessment that Isbister has been about as useful as a bump on a log thus far.

Anyhow, regarding when I wanted Isbister - you're right, I did. About a year ago, I had thoughts of Izzy coming to the Canucks, mostly because I felt he might break out last year. He didn't. I've officially lost all hope that Isbister might turn into a good player in this league as of about 10 months ago.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Well this Old Dude is retiring for the evening to watch MATRIX RELOADED: FULL-SCREEN EDITION. Hopefully, that is what the Oilers will bring to the ice in Colorado on Thursday. Goodmorrow to all as tonight's parting is such unsweetened sorrow!
Full-screen? SACRILEDGE!

Widescreen or nothing.

Old
10-22-2003, 08:53 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
ouch....... fullscreen. for me its widescreen or nothing. ( i like to actually see whats going on on screen.)
You can view in both formats that is just what the DVD said on the exterior blurb. I enjoyed the 2nd DVD of the making of the Matrix Trilogy as much as I did Part II: RELOADED. Would have liked to see it on the big silver screen though; kinda' like the difference between the live ice and the video feed. I was scheduled to see it at a theater but chose instead to go and attend some live minor hockey in my HinterLand hometown.

Speaking of which, I was conversing with a couple of my ole' non contact recreational hockey ex-teammates, both goalies: affectionately nicknamed Leaky & Redlight. They both seem to like Ty Conklin's style, positioning, athleticism, puck handling, and especially his scrappiness. I'm hoping to see Coach Craig Ty one on at Denver's Pepsi Center and throw our backup out to try and steal a game.

Old
10-23-2003, 06:43 AM
Big T

Since everybody likes to compare Isbister with Bertuzzi we should remember that the big goal scorer took a long time to develop. These guys seem to take even longer than defenseman. I don't know why.

Even though Isbister isn't putting pucks in the net he is out there using his size and mucking around in the corner. I agree he needs to do much more but at least he has that added size to use when he hits a dry spell.

Back to the Canucks (sorry this is not meant as a 'nucks bash) in last years playoffs against the Wild (it might have been the Blues) the big line was held at bay quite mercilessly. During this, Morrison could at least kill penalties, Bertuzzi could be out there banging and crashing but Naslund didn't have anything to fall back on.

Not to say Naslund is a bad player, I think he's fantastic but I think he is much more one dimensional. When a guy like Naslund gets in a drought, there isn't much he can do except try to get out of it.

Big guys like Bertuzzi and my boy Izzy can bang around and make their presence felt in this way when they can't seem to score.
And that is exactly what Isbister has been doing, and needs to do much more of. When Lowe says he needs to step up, I think that is what he means.

For the money, big guys who can score a few are more valuable than pure goal scorers. But only worth more than goal scorers who don't kill penalties.

The big stats goal scorers put up are like bikinis right. They show a lot, but they don't show everything. (I've been dying to use that quote since I read it.)

Old
10-23-2003, 06:50 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Yes, I agree that Bertuzzi is the better player of the two - as like you said he does more then just score. If it wasn't for That ugly italian getting double-teamed (during and AFTER the game, if you follow me ) then Naslund wouldn't get the space that he does.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Mizral

Personally, I feel Bertuzzi is one of the more overrated players in hockey today, and Naslund is actually, I would go so far as to say maybe even a little underrated.

While it's easy to say Bertuzzi makes space for Naslund, how about all the tap in goals Bertuzzi gets from Naslund? I have literally seen Naslund bounce a goal in off Bertuzzi's read end.

One thing that I think is often forgotten about Naslund - he is *far* from a Lady Byng canidate. Naslund, like his life-long friend Peter Forsberg, is very gritty and is actually a lot more physical than some credit him for. Naslund, without Bertuzzi, I am very confident he would still put up huge numbers. Bertuzzi without Naslund? I have a feeling he'd get more around 35 goals and 70 points.

However, then both are playing badly, you're right, Bertuzzi is more effective. Early this season, both Bertuzzi & Naslund have been really bad (by their standards). Naslund has I think 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 games, Bertuzzi 1 goal and 2 assists. However, Bertuzzi has been more effective. In fact, last nights win against St.Louis can probobly be accredited to Bertuzzi, after absolutely LAYING OUT Barret Jackman, he caused a series of events that gave the Canucks the winning goal on a 5 on 3 power play for the last 3 minutes of the hockey game.

Naslund on the other hand just got one good shot last game, that's about it.

Old
10-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Personally, I feel Bertuzzi is one of the more overrated players in hockey today, and Naslund is actually, I would go so far as to say maybe even a little underrated.

While it's easy to say Bertuzzi makes space for Naslund, how about all the tap in goals Bertuzzi gets from Naslund? I have literally seen Naslund bounce a goal in off Bertuzzi's read end.

One thing that I think is often forgotten about Naslund - he is *far* from a Lady Byng canidate. Naslund, like his life-long friend Peter Forsberg, is very gritty and is actually a lot more physical than some credit him for. Naslund, without Bertuzzi, I am very confident he would still put up huge numbers. Bertuzzi without Naslund? I have a feeling he'd get more around 35 goals and 70 points.

However, then both are playing badly, you're right, Bertuzzi is more effective. Early this season, both Bertuzzi & Naslund have been really bad (by their standards). Naslund has I think 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 games, Bertuzzi 1 goal and 2 assists. However, Bertuzzi has been more effective. In fact, last nights win against St.Louis can probobly be accredited to Bertuzzi, after absolutely LAYING OUT Barret Jackman, he caused a series of events that gave the Canucks the winning goal on a 5 on 3 power play for the last 3 minutes of the hockey game.

Naslund on the other hand just got one good shot last game, that's about it.

My point is that even though Isbister isn't putting up numbers, he is still earning his keep. Much in the same way that Bertuzzi earns his paycheck when he can't seem to score.

As for who's more valuable, Naslund or Bert? Jury's out but the 'nucks look very weak when Naslund is out of the line up. I think their record is something in the range of 3-27 in the last few years when Naslund is injured. So he obviously is pretty important to the team.

Old
10-23-2003, 11:06 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T
My point is that even though Isbister isn't putting up numbers, he is still earning his keep.
He should be "earning his keep" on one of the top 2 lines, tho. imho

Old
10-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Darth Milbury

First of all, if he can stay healthy, Isbister should be a useful player for the Oil. He won't be Bertuzzi, but the comparisons to that player were always silly. At the very least, Isbister should be a 15 - 20 goal guy who adds a physical edge. I personally think he can be even more than that, if he stays healthy.

Second, Torres has looked great (like many Islander fans, I hated to see him traded!). Torres alone should make that deal worthwhile for the Oilers.

Old
10-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
He should be "earning his keep" on one of the top 2 lines, tho. imho

Izzy will be back on the top two lines. Mac T is rewarding Torres for good play and trying to get something going with Isbister. I really like the idea of him with Smyth and Hemsky. We shouldn't be too surprised that he's having difficulties to start though, as he's learning to play the opposite wing he's used to.

Old
10-23-2003, 07:26 PM
oh_canuck

What if the oilers were the last team in the league to figure it out...

Closed Thread