HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ex-Leafs enforcer Belak found dead

Old
08-31-2011, 05:51 PM
MrHockey1982

vCash: 500
Ex-Leafs enforcer Belak found dead

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/hockey.../18625271.html

Quote:
Former Toronto Maple Leafs tough guy Wade Belak was found dead in a Toronto hotel Wednesday.

The 35-year-old from Saskatoon was found in the tony 1 King West hotel and condo residence.

Belak retired in March after a long NHL career that included stops in Colorado, Calgary, Toronto, Florida and Nashville. He was recently announced as one of the ex-NHLers who would be performing on CBC's Battle of the Blades this year.

Belak is the third NHL enforcer to die in the last four months.

Derek Boogard of the New York Rangers was found dead May 13 in Minneapolis.
Awful. What is going on???

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-31-2011 at 06:23 PM.
MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

This is getting creepy.

08-31-2011, 05:55 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

RIP. Always liked Belak

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 05:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Yikes. This is a bad year for NHL tough guys.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:03 PM
o Hamhuis 2 x

What? The? Hell? This is really weird.

o Hamhuis 2 x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:06 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Oops, posted this in Off-season thread as well.

But he was active on his twitter account as recent as yesterday.

AWFUL summer for NHL enforcers

RIP, always liked him. Was part of the great early-00s rivalries; Fedoruk/McAllister/Brashear vs. Domi/Belak/Tucker

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:19 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
This is getting creepy.
this

EDIT: Also another suicide, even if it was "accidental".

Last edited by RevUpThoseGolfCarts: 08-31-2011 at 06:25 PM.
RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Gert B Frobe

what is with all these guys???

steroids/narcotics/cocaine/repeated blows to the head/concussions/anger issues???

All of the above/none of the above?

How will Bettman screw this up? He needs to really throw everything he can at substance abuse and post concussion issues with his players - NOW.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:49 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Never thought I'd ever see the day that Brashear got KO'ed.

This offseason ain't good for hockey.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:57 PM
TarredandFeathered*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post

steroids/narcotics/cocaine/repeated blows to the head/concussions/anger issues???

How will Bettman screw this up? He needs to really throw everything he can at substance abuse and post concussion issues with his players - NOW.
And...? What, you think that a few sessions with a shrink or doctor would fix these guys right up? These guys brains go through a tremendous amount of abuse throughout their careers, from both fighting and collisions. There is no quick fix to the problem, if at all, unless brain transplants become a feasible option in the future...

Bettman can't do much, but he can do one thing. First of all, eliminate fighting altogether, instituting an automatic 2 game suspension for the first offense. That way, fighting will still exist within a restricted scenario where two players are over-emotional from a play/hit and want to settle their differences. The next time they fight however, they get a a 5 game, and so on and so forth...
Fighting obviously has outgrown its purpose. Never before did enforcers have to fight 30+ times a season to appease their fans and management. Pseudo-enforcers back then could actually play 10+ minutes a night and contribute in other ways than with their fists.
Just look at it... There are more cheapshots than ever, with a general lack of respect among players. The people crying about these deaths at the moment are the same ones that pay to go watch NHL games and likely enjoy seeing someone get pounded to the ice. The bloodier and more gruesome the fight, the more it excites the neanderthal crowd. Humans are not invincible, and we are now seeing the effects of that mentality that has crept into hockey and most sports in general. Go ahead and disagree with me, but you are witnessing it first hand. RIP Boogard, Belak and Rypien.

TarredandFeathered* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:57 PM
FlyerX

Quote:

This is really up to the players and the union and my view. Besides being tough players, these 3 men had one thing in common, they really weren't on a team.

Boogaard had been sent home in-season by the Rags, Rypein had signed as a Jet but camp hadn't started and now Belak is recently retired.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:13 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
it's like the watchmen...someone trying to get rid of the nhl tough guys.

really weird situation especially when you read fedoruk's comments with timmy p.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

This is beyond bizarre.

08-31-2011, 07:24 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarredandFeathered View Post
And...? What, you think that a few sessions with a shrink or doctor would fix these guys right up? These guys brains go through a tremendous amount of abuse throughout their careers, from both fighting and collisions. There is no quick fix to the problem, if at all, unless brain transplants become a feasible option in the future...

Bettman can't do much, but he can do one thing. First of all, eliminate fighting altogether, instituting an automatic 2 game suspension for the first offense. That way, fighting will still exist within a restricted scenario where two players are over-emotional from a play/hit and want to settle their differences. The next time they fight however, they get a a 5 game, and so on and so forth...
Fighting obviously has outgrown its purpose. Never before did enforcers have to fight 30+ times a season to appease their fans and management. Pseudo-enforcers back then could actually play 10+ minutes a night and contribute in other ways than with their fists.
Just look at it... There are more cheapshots than ever, with a general lack of respect among players. The people crying about these deaths at the moment are the same ones that pay to go watch NHL games and likely enjoy seeing someone get pounded to the ice. The bloodier and more gruesome the fight, the more it excites the neanderthal crowd. Humans are not invincible, and we are now seeing the effects of that mentality that has crept into hockey and most sports in general. Go ahead and disagree with me, but you are witnessing it first hand. RIP Boogard, Belak and Rypien.
i don't think there is a direct coorelation between fighting suicides necessarily. wouldn't you have to look at suicides in sports like boxing and MMA?

i think it could have just as much to do with drug dependancy. i think there is just as much damaged caused by checking over a long period but there aren't suicides of dmen or other positions.

i wouldn't mind seeing fighting treated like ...First fight 5 min penalty, 2nd fight game suspension, 3rd fight 3 game suspension? i do like fighting in hockey when it is in the heat of action as opposed to staged fights between two guys that only play 5 mins a night.

i like boxing and i like MMA. i don't need my sports like a TV dinner with everyting seperated into sections. so if a sport can give me skill and fighting i am all in.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:17 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I believe Fedoruk made mention of something similar in Timmy P's article and Dingman is speaking out about it on twitter this evening (and I believe a radio show with Dreger) about how mentally difficult it is for players to stop playing hockey. They don't know what to do next.

And Theo Fleury is also ranting on twitter, blaming the availability and use of oxycotins, talking about how far you plummet into depression once you're off the pill.

The NHL should get some sort of summit with current and ex players, share ideas, experiences, and opinions...and work this out for retirees.

Old
08-31-2011, 10:49 PM
StandingCow

What the hell is going on this summer?!

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:56 PM
pfoppa21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
this

EDIT: Also another suicide, even if it was "accidental".
It is way to early to make a comment like that, i met him once and he was a great guy took time out to talk to me and you wouldnt suspect a person involved in drugs or alcohol. So before throwing that out there it could be anything

pfoppa21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:58 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoppa21 View Post
It is way to early to make a comment like that, i met him once and he was a great guy took time out to talk to me and you wouldnt suspect a person involved in drugs or alcohol. So before throwing that out there it could be anything
Drugs and Alcohol don't have to have anything involved with depression. He was fine yesterday while on twitter. Today could have been a different day. Depression is like that.

Old
08-31-2011, 11:00 PM
pfoppa21

Quote:

I think it is rude and disrespectful to automatically assume Belak was affected by addiction. I met him once and he took time out for a good 15 minutes to talk with me and was a truelly nice guy. People die everyday its life , but i will say Wade Belak was what a professional should be on and off the ice rest in peace Wade and you touched many!!!!!!!

Old
08-31-2011, 11:04 PM
pfoppa21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Drugs and Alcohol don't have to have anything involved with depression. He was fine yesterday while on twitter. Today could have been a different day. Depression is like that.
Have you ever been depressed? I was fortunate to meet wade and its just another assumption and when it comes to a persons mortality we dont have the right unless your affected by the situation to comment on it. Whats your hockey memories of belak focus on that

Old
08-31-2011, 11:07 PM
pfoppa21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
This is really up to the players and the union and my view. Besides being tough players, these 3 men had one thing in common, they really weren't on a team.

Boogaard had been sent home in-season by the Rags, Rypein had signed as a Jet but camp hadn't started and now Belak is recently retired.
So what does that mean belak was a good guy and he retired last year so your comment holds no bearing

Old
08-31-2011, 11:27 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
How do you know he was fine on twitter? It's nothing but typed words.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:49 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
How do you know he was fine on twitter? It's nothing but typed words.
Because typed words and punctuation exhibit ones feelings? Do I know if he was fine in person? No, obviously no one did. Did he come off as Wade Belak usually comes off on twitter? Yes.

Old
09-01-2011, 12:04 AM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoppa21 View Post
So what does that mean belak was a good guy and he retired last year so your comment holds no bearing
His comment was stating a fact that Belak was retired, and he was saying that fault lies with the union more so than the NHL.

Also, he probably was a great guy, but that doesn't mean he wasn't susceptible to the same issues as anyone else who gets hit in the head repeatedly for a living. So regardless of you meeting and talking to him, there is something else going on that none of us could know about or imagine...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:35 AM
daynus

weird

something going on. and to make this more strange, two guys from my back yard, first boogard and now belak, both natives of saskatoon. yah this is hitting us really hard in my area. the whole province, is getting pretty shaken up, with these tragedies.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote