HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wade Belak dead at 35

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-31-2011, 11:05 PM
  #51
gusfring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't remember Belak being much of an enforcer. He had a few seasons in Toronto where he had 100+ PIMs, but most of the time he just played that role of 13th forward.
He was an enforcer.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:09 PM
  #52
habsfan92
Registered User
 
habsfan92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Why are people talking about head shots? May have zero relevance to this situation. Players with anxiety & depression issues who get hooked on the pain killers (like Nilan), and don't seek the help they need to deal with their problems sometimes turn down a dark path. More an NHLPA issue than NHL. The PA should make help more accessible for their members, especially the transition away from hockey.

habsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:19 PM
  #53
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,498
vCash: 500
MaxPacioretty67 Max Pacioretty

Terrible news about Wade Belak.. Prayers go out to those who were close to him. Very sad summer for the nhl

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:49 PM
  #54
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,187
vCash: 500
This is really not looking good for the NHL..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:52 PM
  #55
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,411
vCash: 500
R.I.P Wade Belak

Too young to go...

As for head shots, brain injuries... hogwash! Hockey is far away from being the most violent sport around and how many enforcers have left the game and have not died from drug abuse or from the effects of depression? It is truly tragic that Belak, Rypien and Boogaard have lost their lives so soon but they lived a life so many dream of living and to say that the physical nature of the game caused their deaths is an insult to these and all athletes as well as contact sports in general.

When was the last time a Rugby player, or a GAA or Hurley player died a tragic, sports related death

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:59 PM
  #56
habsrule22
Registered User
 
habsrule22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Powassan, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,673
vCash: 500
RIP Belak maybe now something will be done!

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:12 AM
  #57
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
R.I.P Wade Belak

Too young to go...

As for head shots, brain injuries... hogwash! Hockey is far away from being the most violent sport around and how many enforcers have left the game and have not died from drug abuse or from the effects of depression? It is truly tragic that Belak, Rypien and Boogaard have lost their lives so soon but they lived a life so many dream of living and to say that the physical nature of the game caused their deaths is an insult to these and all athletes as well as contact sports in general.

When was the last time a Rugby player, or a GAA or Hurley player died a tragic, sports related death
Euh, how do you know that exactly?? I don't know one 10 year old kid that plays hockey and wishes to become the next Chris Simon or Zanon Konopka, or Belak or Boogard.
You don't know what these guys go through, you don't know crap about their lives. The only think you know is that they are employed by a hockey team to wear some skates and go fight.

Rugby, GAA or Hurley have nothing in common with hockey other than being a team sport with contact. All three spot are played on foot, where people are at least twice as slow. They also have very limited equipment, so no lethal hard plastic coming to knock you out. Factor these two simple fact and already it results in a lot less dangerous hits. As far as I'm concerned, fights aren't allowed either.
Hockey is the most violent sport imo. Allowing fights make this pretty obvious to me.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:20 AM
  #58
Habs13
Registered User
 
Habs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: England
Posts: 5,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Euh, how do you know that exactly?? I don't know one 10 year old kid that plays hockey and wishes to become the next Chris Simon or Zanon Konopka, or Belak or Boogard.
You don't know what these guys go through, you don't know crap about their lives. The only think you know is that they are employed by a hockey team to wear some skates and go fight.

Rugby, GAA or Hurley have nothing in common with hockey other than being a team sport with contact. All three spot are played on foot, where people are at least twice as slow. They also have very limited equipment, so no lethal hard plastic coming to knock you out. Factor these two simple fact and already it results in a lot less dangerous hits. As far as I'm concerned, fights aren't allowed either.
Hockey is the most violent sport imo. Allowing fights make this pretty obvious to me.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be like Chris Nilan... so what about Aussie Rules football then (cant make a question mark for some reason) No kids grow up wanting to be boxers or MMA fighters... what about lacrosse! I know plenty of people who love to fight so why wouldnt an NHL enforcer enjoy his job!

Youre right though, I dont know for sure.

By the way, I played hockey (badly hehe) and lacrosse and rugby and I never got hit harder than when I did in rugby games.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:24 AM
  #59
JimmyDarmody
Registered User
 
JimmyDarmody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't remember Belak being much of an enforcer. He had a few seasons in Toronto where he had 100+ PIMs, but most of the time he just played that role of 13th forward.
Huh? He was their heavy for a good 4-5 seasons which is a long time by enforcer standards.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:54 AM
  #60
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
RIP Belak maybe now something will be done!
Not sure what can be done. We could go another 20 years without incident. We can't prove correlation.

Personally, I do think fighting in hockey is on its last legs. Not because of these deaths but because of how the game is changing. It's a part of the game that is struggling to find a place. Staged fights bring nothing to the game and the "heavyweights" can't do much else. Make fighting an automatic ejection and it will be gone in a season, along with 30-40 players- to be replaced with more skilled players. We will encounter a whole new set of problems associated with that, but moving forward always comes with growing pains.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:30 AM
  #61
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
R.I.P Wade Belak

Too young to go...

As for head shots, brain injuries... hogwash! Hockey is far away from being the most violent sport around and how many enforcers have left the game and have not died from drug abuse or from the effects of depression? It is truly tragic that Belak, Rypien and Boogaard have lost their lives so soon but they lived a life so many dream of living and to say that the physical nature of the game caused their deaths is an insult to these and all athletes as well as contact sports in general.

When was the last time a Rugby player, or a GAA or Hurley player died a tragic, sports related death
The guys who have played the 'enforcer' probably have issues, or it seems that way. From Kordic and Proberts issues, to the last few who have died, it seems there is a lot of mental issues we can't appreciate or understand.

Nothing enlightening about all of this.....

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:41 AM
  #62
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
When I was a kid, I wanted to be like Chris Nilan... so what about Aussie Rules football then (cant make a question mark for some reason) No kids grow up wanting to be boxers or MMA fighters... what about lacrosse! I know plenty of people who love to fight so why wouldnt an NHL enforcer enjoy his job!

Youre right though, I dont know for sure.

By the way, I played hockey (badly hehe) and lacrosse and rugby and I never got hit harder than when I did in rugby games.
If they like fighting so much, they wouldn't have chosen hockey as their career.

This is the NHL, not the east coast league or whatever.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:21 AM
  #63
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200
 
99GoHabsGo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottetown,PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,339
vCash: 500
What is going on ... so many deaths R.I.P!

99GoHabsGo99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 04:21 AM
  #64
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 11,255
vCash: 500
i like fighting but i am worried that this is just another step toward banning it altogether

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:42 AM
  #65
ClasslessGuy
Registered User
 
ClasslessGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: St-Jean, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,673
vCash: 567
Really don't wan't to sound like a dick but there's almost 3 suicide everyday just in the province of quebec.

It's not only the NHL the only problem but the whole society/world/province/country. We don't have to panic because of 3 suicides this year in the league (I do realise it's a sad thing to say). Our province is full of suicidal people and no one gives a f... most of the time.

Again, i'm not bashing people on this topic and yes it is sad.

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:13 AM
  #66
Habs4thewin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 151
vCash: 500
Terrible news once again this summer...

I just don't think we should automatically put depression, suicical tendencies with " Enforcers "... Yes, within the years, we saw Kordic, Probert left... And now, Booggard, Rypien et Belak... But just recently, we learned that Russ Courtnall and Stephane Richer got a rough time and thought about suicide and they are not exactly the " enforcer " type of player...

It goes without saying that it's all the stories we heard for now... But I'm sure there is tons of other players who got some bad times...

But whatever the reasons or the type of players, the NHLPA, even if they say they have a program should put more effort into this... Period.

Habs4thewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:15 AM
  #67
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,514
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i like fighting but i am worried that this is just another step toward banning it altogether
I liked it too but getting rid of it would be the best option. You don't see fighting in the playoffs and hockey is just as exciting, you don't need it in the regular season.

RIP Wade Belak

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:17 AM
  #68
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I don't remember Belak being much of an enforcer. He had a few seasons in Toronto where he had 100+ PIMs, but most of the time he just played that role of 13th forward.
Belak was a top-5 fighter in the league for awhile. He actually had decent longevity for an enforcer, coming into his own in Toronto initially. Belak had great reach, and was among the first in modern-day hockey fighting who would turn their face away during a fight, jab with the left, then swing wildly with the right. Essentially, a real defensive fighter who utilised their reach and power to keep the opponent at bay.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:36 AM
  #69
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Is it possible he was emotionally depressed and just happened to be a hockey player? Does it really mean the league and the mentailty of the league played a roll. I have no idea what Belak endured during his personal life, with other players suffering similar fates it's easy to assume the common denominator is the NHL, but is it possible these were struggling young men on the outside and the NHL had nothing to do with it. If these events had of been 12 years apart I don't think anyone would think much of it, but since they happened within a few months of each other it looks worse than it might be.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:49 AM
  #70
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Awful news, RIP Wade....

In any walk of life, not just pro sports, people suffer mental illness, and if it goes untreated, the consequences can be devastating. I think with alot of men, they just don't want to seek help, thinking they are weak, which is very sad....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:05 AM
  #71
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Is it possible he was emotionally depressed and just happened to be a hockey player? Does it really mean the league and the mentailty of the league played a roll. I have no idea what Belak endured during his personal life, with other players suffering similar fates it's easy to assume the common denominator is the NHL, but is it possible these were struggling young men on the outside and the NHL had nothing to do with it. If these events had of been 12 years apart I don't think anyone would think much of it, but since they happened within a few months of each other it looks worse than it might be.
While you may be right, I think these deaths warrant some examination of the difficulties of: a) the role of fighters in the NHL; b) transitioning to retirement.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:10 AM
  #72
Ayatollah Chowmeini
Registered User
 
Ayatollah Chowmeini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MTL/MKE
Country: United States
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
i love almost everything about the sport and i'm not reflexively anti-fighting. but to deny that there are significant links between traumatic brain injuries and depression is shortsighted.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may...ssion-20100519

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/refere...ies/index.html

"A 2007 study conducted by the University of North Carolina's Center for the Study of Retired Athletes found that of the 595 retired N.F.L. players who recalled sustaining three or more concussions on the football field, 20.2 percent said they had been found to have depression. That is three times the rate of players who have not sustained concussions."

NFL players have killed themselves as well, and autopsies have shown massive brain damage as a contributing factor. The biggest culprit is chronic traumatic encephalopathy. Dave Duerson had it when he shot himself in the chest. Chris Benoit had it when he murdered his wife and kid before killing himself. It's been found in the brains of plenty of athlete suicides.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nfl-player-...ry?id=12964918

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic...encephalopathy

As I said, I'm not reflexively anti-fighting. Right now I feel slightly ashamed for cheering for it at games, and even for fighting when I played. If we're not going to do anything about it, can we at least acknowledge that this is a very real and horrible outcome of the sport we love? Ignoring that is like denying global climate change. More importantly, refusing to even question would, in my opinion, do an injustice to the memories of these players who have died.

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:15 AM
  #73
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
R.I.P Wade Belak

Too young to go...

As for head shots, brain injuries... hogwash! Hockey is far away from being the most violent sport around and how many enforcers have left the game and have not died from drug abuse or from the effects of depression? It is truly tragic that Belak, Rypien and Boogaard have lost their lives so soon but they lived a life so many dream of living and to say that the physical nature of the game caused their deaths is an insult to these and all athletes as well as contact sports in general.

When was the last time a Rugby player, or a GAA or Hurley player died a tragic, sports related death
MMA fighters get paid to be knocked out or knock other people out. If you're an MMA fighter chances are you've been knocked out quite a few times. The whole point of the sport practically is to give people a concussion. I don't exactly see MMA fighters dropping off like flies and while it wasn't as popular 20 years ago there were still enough MMA fighters then and now for the trend to be quite obvious if it were the case.

I'm not saying head shots aren't dangerous, they are and these guys don't sign up to be blind sided in the head and have brain damage. They aren't MMA fighters. But to just assume all of this has to do with brain injuries... that's just being poorly informed. I understand people take every opportunity to jump on the concussive bandwagon but these are cases where retiree type players have a poor transition to real life and/or have poor drug rehabilitation. The NHLPA has more to blame here than the NHL imo.

Think about this for a second, 99.99999% of MMA fighters have and will continue to be knocked out, suffer concussions etc multiple times.

What % of hockey players do? Obviously we don't know the number but given our small sample survey versus MMA where it's all but guaranteed you will take head shots... I would have to imagine far more MMA fighters would be dieing than hockey players but obviously thus far it isn't the case. These "stats" are just a small sample and prove nothing. You can't link their concussion brain damage to this depression or suicide. Not saying it isn't the reason just saying there's no real evidence to back it up. A small sample size proves nothing. If in 10 more years they all start dropping off like flies maybe I'll change my mind but just because a few of them died in a short span doesn't make it the rule. Thus far it's actually quite the anomaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Euh, how do you know that exactly?? I don't know one 10 year old kid that plays hockey and wishes to become the next Chris Simon or Zanon Konopka, or Belak or Boogard.
You don't know what these guys go through, you don't know crap about their lives. The only think you know is that they are employed by a hockey team to wear some skates and go fight.

Rugby, GAA or Hurley have nothing in common with hockey other than being a team sport with contact. All three spot are played on foot, where people are at least twice as slow. They also have very limited equipment, so no lethal hard plastic coming to knock you out. Factor these two simple fact and already it results in a lot less dangerous hits. As far as I'm concerned, fights aren't allowed either.
Hockey is the most violent sport imo. Allowing fights make this pretty obvious to me.
Some football players can run/accelerate almost as fast as skaters and have even bigger equipment to the point where it becomes a wash imo. I'd say Football/Rugby/MMA are all fair examples of sports where you can get concussed or hit hard. Speed isn't the only factor here. Ultimately a concussion is what it is regardless of sport/speed/factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
i love almost everything about the sport and i'm not reflexively anti-fighting. but to deny that there are significant links between traumatic brain injuries and depression is shortsighted.
Agreed but to just assume it had something to do with them is also equally silly. Sometimes people are just depressed brain damage or not, drugs or not. In fact I'd argue far more people are depressed without any brain damage and if they use drugs likely got into drugs because they were depressed and didn't get depressed because they do drugs.

It all basically stems from that depression in most cases.


Last edited by neofury*: 09-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:16 AM
  #74
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,418
vCash: 500
Don't even know what to think.

Thoughts and prayers to his family, friends and fans. Very sad situation indeed.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
  #75
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
MMA fighters get paid to be knocked out or knock other people out. If you're an MMA fighter chances are you've been knocked out quite a few times. The whole point of the sport practically is to give people a concussion. I don't exactly see MMA fighters dropping off like flies and while it wasn't as popular 20 years ago there were still enough MMA fighters then and now for the trend to be quite obvious if it were the case.
I recently watched the documentary "Facing Ali". Great video BTW. Anyways with the exception of George Chuvalo, these gladiators that made up the golden age of boxing are messed up. Slurred speech and incoherent thoughts. You will see the first crop of MMA fighters start to hit that age soon and then we will start to really see the effects. Guys like Shamrock and Frye are getting up there. You know Tito is probably in quite a few death pools already.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.