HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

"Briere: Pronger was Flyers de facto captain last year"

Old
08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Its been a long summer for old timmy I guess
This is a sign of things to come for Timmy. You want to see stupid? He'll show you stupid!

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:37 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I don't think Briere was saying anything that everyone doesn't already know.

Pronger took over as the de facto captain two years ago, they just let Richards keep the C to avoid embarrassing him and to give him a chance to grow into the role. When he didn't, they shipped him out.
And as always, cranky old Larry continues to post his opinion as fact, cause, you know, Larry knows what happens in the Philly dressing room all the way from Hamilton, Ontario.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:42 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Does this mean the second-half breakdown and sweep to the Bruins is actually Pronger's fault?

I am waiting for Bruin fans to blame Pronger for the dented Stanley Cup

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I am waiting for Bruin fans to blame Pronger for the dented Stanley Cup
He elbowed it.

08-31-2011, 01:10 PM
CharlieGirl

Typical crap from Timmy & Co. How this jerk has a job is a mystery that will never be solved.

Quote:
I don't think Briere was saying anything that everyone doesn't already know.

Pronger took over as the de facto captain two years ago, they just let Richards keep the C to avoid embarrassing him and to give him a chance to grow into the role. When he didn't, they shipped him out.
I haven't been around here much lately. Nice to see some things never change. Keep it up Larry. I'm sure we all appreciate that you continue to share your wisdom.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:31 PM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He elbowed it.
He couldn't help it. Thanks Pronger Physics!

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I haven't been around here much lately. Nice to see some things never change. Keep it up Larry. I'm sure we all appreciate that you continue to share your wisdom.
Welcome back to the 6/23 Survivors Group!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:51 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Welcome back to the 6/23 Survivors Group!
I never left that group. I was a Flyers fan long before Richards and Carter were born; nothing has changed except that I have a couple of other teams to keep an eye on now.

I still hate pretty much everything Holmgren has done this summer though. Time will tell if it was a good move for the Flyers or if he set them back four or five years through sheer incompetence and mismanagement.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I never left that group. I was a Flyers fan long before Richards and Carter were born; nothing has changed except that I have a couple of other teams to keep an eye on now.

I still hate pretty much everything Holmgren has done this summer though. Time will tell if it was a good move for the Flyers or if he set them back four or five years through sheer incompetence and mismanagement.
I don't think Homer would've made the changes he did if there was any other way.

We all did the numbers, he could have afforded Bryzgalov without dealing 17 and 18.

And I don't think he really wanted to trade Richards and Carter, but between him, the organization and the owners, they decided they had no choice.

It wasn't done lightly, but it was done well. They ended up with 4 very good players for them, and really lucky that Couturier slipped to 8.

Old
08-31-2011, 09:56 PM
StandingCow

And we wonder why some people don't get along with the media. Boooo Tim P!

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:26 PM
tuckrr

Total side note (yes TP sucks, and we can get back to that but...)

Pronger was mentioned pretty repeatedly when it came to convincing Bryz and even Jagr to play for Philly.

Does anyone think he'd be a good potential coach/GM down the road...

I swear, he's convincing people to join the flyers left and right...I for one am pretty stoked about that.

tuckrr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:29 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
I don't think Homer would've made the changes he did if there was any other way.

We all did the numbers, he could have afforded Bryzgalov without dealing 17 and 18.

And I don't think he really wanted to trade Richards and Carter, but between him, the organization and the owners, they decided they had no choice.

It wasn't done lightly, but it was done well. They ended up with 4 very good players for them, and really lucky that Couturier slipped to 8.
Just stop! stop right now. This isn't going to become another Richards was a drunk, Pronger is a ******, Carter is a druggie and Bryz is overpaid thread. Just no!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:21 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Just stop! stop right now. This isn't going to become another Richards was a drunk, Pronger is a ******, Carter is a druggie and Bryz is overpaid thread. Just no!
I fully support this.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:40 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
What's funny is he insulted the Philly Media and Timmy seemed to breeze by it like nothing was said about him.

And Briere's right, I'd expect that all the players help out and lead the ways they need to. Really the only importance that I see in the NHL of the C and A's is that they're allowed to speak to the officials. That's it.

It's funny how in the top 2 paragraphs Briere says the captaincy isn't a big deal, and 2 paragraphs later Timmy P is making a big deal about the captaincy.
I've always been a bit fascinated with what a big deal is made out of the captaincy in the NHL. On every single team I've been a member of (in any sport, not just hockey), the captain has been just one of many leaders. I was made a captain on a few occasions with the explicit notion that I didn't speak so much in the locker room but when I did, people listened to what I had to say.

Sure, when you factor in media relations and such it gets a little bit more important perhaps, but inside the locker room, as a group you almost always have multiple leaders. If you don't, that is probably a bit of a problem actually.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:51 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I've always been a bit fascinated with what a big deal is made out of the captaincy in the NHL. On every single team I've been a member of (in any sport, not just hockey), the captain has been just one of many leaders. I was made a captain on a few occasions with the explicit notion that I didn't speak so much in the locker room but when I did, people listened to what I had to say.

Sure, when you factor in media relations and such it gets a little bit more important perhaps, but inside the locker room, as a group you almost always have multiple leaders. If you don't, that is probably a bit of a problem actually.
That's actually a good point. But even if you look at the Flyers and the media especially, everyone is giving interviews. It's good for the captain to take the brunt of the impact so the rest of the team doesn't suffer, but when every media member gets in every player's face, kind of ruins the purpose of the captain.

Old
09-01-2011, 07:14 AM
mirimon

Quote:
That's actually a good point. But even if you look at the Flyers and the media especially, everyone is giving interviews. It's good for the captain to take the brunt of the impact so the rest of the team doesn't suffer, but when every media member gets in every player's face, kind of ruins the purpose of the captain.
Yeah, it's not Nashville that's for sure.

However, I think part of the captain's job is to take on the media after a loss for instance, and shield other players a bit. Having said that though, that doesn't mean that journalists necessarily have a carte blanche to behave and write as they please. Richards obviously didn't get along with some reporters, he is not the first captain of a sports team to have that problem and if he had the rest of the group behind him it wasn't even a problem inside the locker room.

Here in Sweden we're focusing on our (soccer) national team's qualifying game against Hungary for the Euro 2012 tournament at the moment. Our captain here is Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He hasn't spoken to some of the journalists since 2004 or something like that. That isn't a problem for the group though. It is obviously a bit different since this is not a team that hangs around on a daily basis, but the point is that what might be a perceived problem from the outside can be completely irrelevant from the inside. This is also not a problem simply because Ibrahimovic is our only legitimate star player, he along with then captain Olof Mellberg and another player was sent home from a qualifying game some years ago after breaking a curfew, a decision that apparently the rest of the players agreed with.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:39 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Yeah, it's not Nashville that's for sure.

However, I think part of the captain's job is to take on the media after a loss for instance, and shield other players a bit. Having said that though, that doesn't mean that journalists necessarily have a carte blanche to behave and write as they please. Richards obviously didn't get along with some reporters, he is not the first captain of a sports team to have that problem and if he had the rest of the group behind him it wasn't even a problem inside the locker room.

Here in Sweden we're focusing on our (soccer) national team's qualifying game against Hungary for the Euro 2012 tournament at the moment. Our captain here is Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He hasn't spoken to some of the journalists since 2004 or something like that. That isn't a problem for the group though. It is obviously a bit different since this is not a team that hangs around on a daily basis, but the point is that what might be a perceived problem from the outside can be completely irrelevant from the inside. This is also not a problem simply because Ibrahimovic is our only legitimate star player, he along with then captain Olof Mellberg and another player was sent home from a qualifying game some years ago after breaking a curfew, a decision that apparently the rest of the players agreed with.
I think the difference with the situation above and Richards is the Philly media just won't let it go. He's long gone and they're still *****ing about him. Panaccio has barely written anything for months yet again he's all over Richards and I hope that article pisses Briere off because he totally twisted his words around. The media here in Toronto is intense and there are a lot more hockey writers than in Philly but the sensationalistic trash isn't part of it. They may be cynical but it's not one story after another using unnamed sources.

Old
09-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Why, that's what the article was about?

And it's the story of our off-season:

Making the Flyers Pronger's team, the story of the Summer of 2011.

They signed the goalie he recommended.

They moved out the players that he and Lavy felt needed moving out.

And Pronger helped talk Jagr into signing in Philly.

YOU brought all that other stuff up, not me.

Old
09-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Are you sure it wasn't the goalie snider and homer wanted, the players that snider and homer wanted gone, and the jagr they asked pronger to talk to? People here assumed jagr suggested that the organization get nylander for camp, but it was recently revealed that jagr had no idea they'd do that. Pronger is just a player. He doesn't own or operate the team. On top of that, if he's de facto captain last year, why aren't you shifting all the blame you gave to richards over to pronger?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:42 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Why, that's what the article was about?

And it's the story of our off-season:

Making the Flyers Pronger's team, the story of the Summer of 2011.

They signed the goalie he recommended.

They moved out the players that he and Lavy felt needed moving out.

And Pronger helped talk Jagr into signing in Philly.

YOU brought all that other stuff up, not me.
Where are you getting this? You are speaking as if Pronger is the GM of this team.

By all means, you're allowed to say that you think Pronger played a role in something by being in someone's ear. But stop stating things as if they're factual.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:22 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Where are you getting this? You are speaking as if Pronger is the GM of this team.

By all means, you're allowed to say that you think Pronger played a role in something by being in someone's ear. But stop stating things as if they're factual.
That's his MO. He keeps repeating his thoughts as if they're facts because he knows EVERYTHING that happens in the Flyers' dressing room and front office all the way from Hamilton, Ontario. I mean really, what incredible power does this man have?

Old
09-01-2011, 10:55 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I think the difference with the situation above and Richards is the Philly media just won't let it go. He's long gone and they're still *****ing about him. Panaccio has barely written anything for months yet again he's all over Richards and I hope that article pisses Briere off because he totally twisted his words around. The media here in Toronto is intense and there are a lot more hockey writers than in Philly but the sensationalistic trash isn't part of it. They may be cynical but it's not one story after another using unnamed sources.
I'd agree to this, but I honestly don't know anything about the Swedish media. Assuming they're fairly sane, then Woof's comments here are 100% accurate. It does get annoying, I'd like to see more articles in depth or sit down interviews on the new players the Flyers acquired in the offseason, instead I feel like I'm reading articles off of TMZ.

Old
09-01-2011, 12:37 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I'd agree to this, but I honestly don't know anything about the Swedish media. Assuming they're fairly sane, then Woof's comments here are 100% accurate. It does get annoying, I'd like to see more articles in depth or sit down interviews on the new players the Flyers acquired in the offseason, instead I feel like I'm reading articles off of TMZ.
Last spring Seravalli wrote a feature on Richards. It was a nice story until he brought in unnamed sources who said a few things about him. Why bother? It just ruined the article because it got all tabloid-ish. The media in Philly is just weird. I am hoping that some of the newer people like Baicker won't fall into that pattern, and ASF seems pretty good. Ryan Bright is already a lost cause in the same vein as Pannacio. Carchidi is another gossiper.

Old
09-01-2011, 03:01 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
@tpanotchCSN Tim Panaccio
Today's "Big Blob" Blog:

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/01/11/By...90&feedID=6572
How is this guy paid to write? Big Blob? What is he, 10 years old?

Last edited by MsWoof: 09-01-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old
09-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
http://www.csnphilly.com/09/01/11/By...90&feedID=6572
How is this guy paid to write? Big Blob? What is he, 10 years old?
What a surprise the topic of that blog is

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote