HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Lounge the 4th

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Cars are depreciating assets, not investments. I don't know what insurance agents have to do with leases but if your budget is 2-3K he can pay out 200 a month for a brand new reliable car that he will not be on the hook for any repairs. There are no decent cars for 2-3K and he risks being on the hook for a repair which is going to happen. He may not even have to pay maintenance with a lease. I agree a used car can be a better option, just not at this price point. Even maintenance will be more expensive. New brakes pads and rotors could easily cost 25% of the purchase price.
What's your deal, do you just look for points to argue in every post??

Yes, cars are not investments, where the hell did I say they were? And sorry, but I know several people who bought cars for those prices and went a good period of time before having to buy repairs. And, if he only has the car for a year, maybe two, he CAN (many of my friends buy cars this way, and have incredible houses and much money in savings as a result (towards retirement)) resell it for close to the same price he bought it for. Check Ramsey's book.

Leases have early buyout expenses. They have balloon payments often at the end. It's not a good idea for someone on a budget.

And, you have to have insurance. It costs a lot more to insure a leased car, due to many of the restrictions, than it does a paid off or a car with payments. They get nightmare calls about leases, balloon payments, and early returns all the time.

07-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Laus723
Future Now

On the first search:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/2510651868.html

Probably not the best purchase since parts could be expensive, but if it's point A to point B, it may be perfect. There's a lot of cars like this. He needs to be careful and wise, but also look for an old person that kept a car garaged for 20 years.

Old
07-24-2011, 12:13 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
What's your deal, do you just look for points to argue in every post??

Yes, cars are not investments, where the hell did I say they were? And sorry, but I know several people who bought cars for those prices and went a good period of time before having to buy repairs. And, if he only has the car for a year, maybe two, he CAN (many of my friends buy cars this way, and have incredible houses and much money in savings as a result (towards retirement)) resell it for close to the same price he bought it for. Check Ramsey's book.

Leases have early buyout expenses. They have balloon payments often at the end. It's not a good idea for someone on a budget.

And, you have to have insurance. It costs a lot more to insure a leased car, due to many of the restrictions, than it does a paid off or a car with payments. They get nightmare calls about leases, balloon payments, and early returns all the time.
You're the one who pretty much said I was wrong...

They can have buyout expenses if you agree to that and balloon payments if you agree to that. Anyone with some sense will not. Leasing cars is not bad at all. He can probably get a brand new car with no worry about repairs for around 200 a month. A car that leases at 200 a month will not be expensive to insure.

Financing a car has restrictions too. I guess he could pay all up front but if you don't have to pay out all your cash at once it's a much smarter move to pay monthly.

Leasing; brand new car, not on the hook for repairs, safer, possibly maintenance free.

Used car at 2-3K price; old car, will be 100% responsible for likely repairs, not as safe, will have to do maintenance, potential for costly maintenance and repairs.

Used car prices are at an all time high. It's not a good idea at his price point.

Old
07-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Leases are not a good idea. I'll leave it at that. And yes, I completely am saying you're wrong. It's very expensive to lease a car, insurance-wise. I literally KNOW that. I've heard the horror stories.

Buy smartly, point A to point B, can reap back what he spent rather than wasting money on something he'll have to just give back (Ie: lease), it has its advantages. Yes, he COULD have expenses, it's a risk, but he can sell it and literally get back what he spent. He may lose some money, but cars THAT old don't lose money the way newer cars do. I'm speaking from experience.

But, he'll do as he pleases.

Old
07-24-2011, 01:20 PM
jkscott
Florida Panther STH

Im not going to sell myself or my credentials but here is my professional advice. Take it or leave it.

1.Never EVER lease a car.
2.Always buy used.
3.Pay cash.

Old
07-24-2011, 02:07 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Leases are not a good idea. I'll leave it at that. And yes, I completely am saying you're wrong. It's very expensive to lease a car, insurance-wise. I literally KNOW that. I've heard the horror stories.

Buy smartly, point A to point B, can reap back what he spent rather than wasting money on something he'll have to just give back (Ie: lease), it has its advantages. Yes, he COULD have expenses, it's a risk, but he can sell it and literally get back what he spent. He may lose some money, but cars THAT old don't lose money the way newer cars do. I'm speaking from experience.

But, he'll do as he pleases.
My friend had a new civic he was leasing under 200 a month and was paying 45 a month for car insurance. If that's expensive, then I don't know what to say.

You say COULD but a car with 150-250K miles, at least 10 years old is going to have problems. It's not a matter of if, but when. He'll also be on the hook for maintenance and with that amount of mileage/age on the car he'll be looking at more than an oil change.

New cars are safer and more reliable than whatever you can get for 2K-3k. There are more things to look at than "expensive insurance" and getting some money back when he sells it. It is much easier and safer to budget for a cheap lease than an old car with a ton of miles.

Old
07-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
My friend had a new civic he was leasing under 200 a month and was paying 45 a month for car insurance. If that's expensive, then I don't know what to say.

You say COULD but a car with 150-250K miles, at least 10 years old is going to have problems. It's not a matter of if, but when. He'll also be on the hook for maintenance and with that amount of mileage/age on the car he'll be looking at more than an oil change.

New cars are safer and more reliable than whatever you can get for 2K-3k. There are more things to look at than "expensive insurance" and getting some money back when he sells it. It is much easier and safer to budget for a cheap lease than an old car with a ton of miles.
Never heard that before, I don't think that's correct, at all. Parents are agents, they make sure people are well taken care of. Something literally isn't right there.

See the post above yours.

I had a truck from 60,000 miles to 163,000. My expenses? Rebuild the suspension, for $300. That's it. It's still on the road and running well. You're thinking inside a box that the carmakers and banks have you and the rest of the world in.

you throw your money away on a lease. Where you could buy cheap and invest your savings. $200 over a year's period is $2400 dollars. Sell the car you bought for $2000ish for even say $1500, you now have $3900, instead of not having anything.

Here's an example of some things. As I said, I've had friends do this, literally. It's very wise.

Old
07-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:

Don't count MB car's into that mold. My old MB 1996.. had it for 10 years the only parts I had to buy.. new brake pads, tires/winter tires, some rear suspension parts (dunno the name in english cost 25$) and that car wasnät a fluke (260k km when sold).. I actually had a 2nd car at the time a 1986 MB diesel it ran for 600k kilometers without any major hiccups.

Now my dad has a 2008 MB and the POS is broken all the time. His older MB 1996 never had a hiccup.

Now I find it funny my gf's sister's husband bought a couple year old Audi A8 and it's been to the shop 3 times in the last 3 months

Old
07-24-2011, 07:40 PM
jkscott
Florida Panther STH

Quote:
Never heard that before, I don't think that's correct, at all. Parents are agents, they make sure people are well taken care of. Something literally isn't right there.

See the post above yours.

I had a truck from 60,000 miles to 163,000. My expenses? Rebuild the suspension, for $300. That's it. It's still on the road and running well. You're thinking inside a box that the carmakers and banks have you and the rest of the world in.

you throw your money away on a lease. Where you could buy cheap and invest your savings. $200 over a year's period is $2400 dollars. Sell the car you bought for $2000ish for even say $1500, you now have $3900, instead of not having anything.

Here's an example of some things. As I said, I've had friends do this, literally. It's very wise.

Listen to his advice. It is very good and he is trying to help you.

Old
07-25-2011, 03:34 AM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
And don't forget to get the VIN number from whoever is selling the used car, and get a Car Fax report. Well worth the money.

http://www.carfax.com

Old
07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
jol

Quote:

Leasing might not be an option if person doesn't have credit history (not sure person who's asking is originally from USA).

JOL

Old
07-25-2011, 07:00 PM
gravenger5

normally I'd say to wait for game day and buy some tickets in the parking lot but the buzz hear about the cats is pretty big! It wouldn't be a bad idea to get tickets in advance

Old
07-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Holy Jokinen

Just wanted to brag a bit...

The ice hockey team i've been playing with here in Tampa has now won 11 straight games, stretching back into last season.

The first 8 games of last season we went 2-6 and we haven't lost a game since. We also won the championship last season (the Stanley Keg). We won that game 2-1 in overtime and yours truly had both goals. Just feeling pretty good about this team and felt like sharing.

Old
07-25-2011, 11:44 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen View Post
Just wanted to brag a bit...

The ice hockey team i've been playing with here in Tampa has now won 11 straight games, stretching back into last season.

The first 8 games of last season we went 2-6 and we haven't lost a game since. We also won the championship last season (the Stanley Keg). We won that game 2-1 in overtime and yours truly had both goals. Just feeling pretty good about this team and felt like sharing.
Hey congrats man! It sounds like you are having a great time.
Did you get to tap the Stanley Keg after you won it??

Old
07-26-2011, 07:30 AM
blackpanthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
Did you get to tap the Stanley Keg after you won it??
I didn't realize that we had an employee of Rupert Murdoch on this forum

Old
09-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

My girlfriend of 8 years just told me on sunday she wants to break up or at least live separately for at least 6 months. It's a shocker even tho we fought a lot but we still both care deeply for both. We just bought a apartment a year ago and now we have to sell it it's not even sure we'll be able to sell it with the current financial status here in europe and finland. I'm in bit's and pieces. If there were jobs in Florida I would move over there right now.

Old
09-01-2011, 03:08 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
My girlfriend of 8 years just told me on sunday she wants to break up or at least live separately for at least 6 months. It's a shocker even tho we fought a lot but we still both care deeply for both. We just bought a apartment a year ago and now we have to sell it it's not even sure we'll be able to sell it with the current financial status here in europe and finland. I'm in bit's and pieces. If there were jobs in Florida I would move over there right now.
Fine guys, I'LL BE THE ONE TO STEP UP.

Erm, sorry to hear that bro. The thought of committment and 8 years blows my mind. I struggle in committing to justify why i have to justify to be lazy.

Old
09-01-2011, 03:39 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
How old are you?

It wont be good short term but you'll eventually get past it. You have to keep yourself occupied, go to the gym regularly, meet new people, start a hobby, play some sports/join a rec league, start going out. Worst thing you can do is stay inside and get depressed. Focus on work, look for new job opportunities, etc.

There are a lot of people out there. At least you're not married and have to get divorced. Almost all relationships end, you'll be alright, it just takes time.

I also wouldn't consider her living separately for 6 months option. That will just delay the inevitable and drag things out for you.

The apartment situation will work itself out. Maybe you can lease it out.

Old
09-02-2011, 01:37 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Even though it may not seem like it right now, there are plenty of fish in the sea. You just gotta stay positive rather than negative and things will work out.

Old
09-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
How old are you?

It wont be good short term but you'll eventually get past it. You have to keep yourself occupied, go to the gym regularly, meet new people, start a hobby, play some sports/join a rec league, start going out. Worst thing you can do is stay inside and get depressed. Focus on work, look for new job opportunities, etc.

There are a lot of people out there. At least you're not married and have to get divorced. Almost all relationships end, you'll be alright, it just takes time.

I also wouldn't consider her living separately for 6 months option. That will just delay the inevitable and drag things out for you.

The apartment situation will work itself out. Maybe you can lease it out.
I'm 29. I know I should do that but i'm doing just the opposite staying inside. Staying positive feels impossibly

Old
09-02-2011, 08:55 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I always hate hearing these types of stories

Do you know if her reasoning for breaking up was due to the fact of committing? The reason why I ask is because I have a female friend whom has been with her boyfriend for almost three years and living with him for about two years. She's considering leaving him because even though they've talked about marriage for a long while, he still hasn't proposed yet. I don't know the guy's situation on if he's not mentality or financially ready or what, but it scared me a bit that someone would do that just because he hasn't taken the next step to settle down. Ten years I could maybe understand, but less than three seemed very harsh.

I got married a few months ago and I've known my wife for almost three years. We got engaged about a year and 3 1/2 months after meeting. However, we were both ready for marriage at this moment in our lives and I realize that you certainly have to be in order to make the move. I asked my wife about my friend's situation and if she was in her shoes. She said if I still hadn't proposed at the current moment, she'd be quite peeved and would really consider where this relationship would be going. I was kind of shocked to hear that, but understood in a way. Then again, some couples like my sister-in-law and her boyfriend who met in college have been together for over five years and neither are ready to settle down. She's said if he proposed, she'd say no at this point because they're not even close to mentally ready. I guess every couple and person is different.

I agree that you need to get your mind off of what would make you think about the situation. Being home would do that and it's best to be actively busy. I'm sure it will be extremely difficult in the beginning, but after awhile you'll realize if it was the best or worst thing to happen to you. If it's meant to be for the future, she'll come back to you. If not, there are plenty of great ones all around the world and you'll meet that one that was meant for you. As everyone says to me about being unemployed for almost four months now and it's the same situation here, when one door closes, another one opens that will be even better. As others have said, as impossible as it seems, try your best to stay positive and better days will come

Old
09-02-2011, 09:57 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
I'm 29. I know I should do that but i'm doing just the opposite staying inside. Staying positive feels impossibly
You need to get out of the house and do stuff. You're going to take a bad situation and make it as bad it possibly can get.

Old
09-02-2011, 12:08 PM
jol

Quote:
Do you know if her reasoning for breaking up was due to the fact of committing? The reason why I ask is because I have a female friend whom has been with her boyfriend for almost three years and living with him for about two years. She's considering leaving him because even though they've talked about marriage for a long while, he still hasn't proposed yet.
If they live in Florida and live together, unmarried, it's illegal in Florida. They they better get married or separate.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/un...n-1807247.html

JOL

Old
09-02-2011, 10:18 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
If they live in Florida and live together, unmarried, it's illegal in Florida. They they better get married or separate.

JOL
I read about that yesterday. I had no idea that there was a law in effect like that. I'd assume then that probably 95% of couples would be breaking the law then

Old
09-04-2011, 04:41 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post

JOL
Literally the most stupid thing i've read in awhile. Pretty special ; i've just read a thread involving largely Senator and Leaf Fans.

This quote "The same penalty applies to cheating husbands and wives — though only to opposite-sex couples." What? Im assuming it isn't really enforced.

My favourite quote though, "I'm not ready to give up on monogamy and a cultural statement that marriage still matters,". Yes, because cheating husbands and wives hasn't existed until recent times. Damn modernity and globalisation for damning our couples and allowing such deplorable activies to ingrain itself in our society. Oh wait ...

Bizarre.

Closed Thread