HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

R.I.P. Wade Belak - (July 3rd, 1976 - August 31st, 2011)

Old
08-31-2011, 09:11 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Just some more videos to show Wade's sense of humor...

and his goal against us after nearly four years without one (last goal came in 2003, this was in 2007). Notice who was sliding across the ice attempting to block the shot

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Webersmashpuck

This is so sad. Belak was always fun to watch on the ice and the Brashear knockout is one of the coolest I have seen.

I guess I will share my Belak story. I was delivering a package to Legwand's house during the Christmas season and he was there outside with Wade (I vaguely remember they were loading up Wades suv with boxes). As I walk up the driveway, Leggy was in the garage and Wade makes a goofy face at me and shouts in, "You have a visitor." I make a comment how he defends his teammates off the ice and he laughs at that. Anyways Legwand comes out and gets his box and while he is doing this Wade is talking to me about my job. I talk to him for a few seconds before I left. Really this is no big deal at all except for it showing me how down to earth Belak really was. Here I was throwing around boxes at my crappy job, and a guy who travels around and plays a game seemed genuinely interesting in knowing how my day works.

Its not the most interesting story by any means but Belak has a reputation as one of the nicest guys in the league and I walked away realizing that reputation is well earned.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Notice who was sliding across the ice attempting to block the shot
Zanon wasn't attempting to block the shot or intercept the pass. The shot from the blueline caught him up high when he wasn't expecting it. Belak was in the right place at the right time though. Amazing to see him smile in celebration there...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:19 PM
roseyc

My prayers go out to his family and all the Preds family. I don't if anyone knew that he was going to take over the duties that Mark Howard was doing and I was glad for giving him a job with the Preds and with his sense of humor was a fit and now we'll never know how good it would have been. I was walking to the smoking area on the concourse during the playoffs and he was talking to someone and I told him I was fan of his job on the radio and he thanked me. But stunning news...!!!

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 09:22 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Zanon wasn't attempting to block the shot or intercept the pass. The shot from the blueline caught him up high when he wasn't expecting it. Belak was in the right place at the right time though. Amazing to see him smile in celebration there...
Oh I missed that. Haha I saw a "5" on his sweater and just assumed he was trying to block the shot.

In any event, it really is shocking regardless of the how or why. The guy seemed so full of life at all times that I just can't bring myself to picture him not walking around, smiling, cracking jokes with friends right now. I think that speaks volumes for the man's character and legacy.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:12 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

can't believe it, completely shocked by this.

I wish the best for his family.

R.I.P. Wade, you'll surely be missed.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:35 PM
braindead

Not much to add- for a team and organization that is built on the concept of family, this is a painful reminder of how true it is. Hope his family knows how much he brought to us and understand that they are permanent parts of our Preds family.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:57 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

maybe it was there all along, and wade was such a great guy and hid it so well, no one saw it.....

“With our roles, I knew I was fighting and I was nervous,” Belak told the Star’s Mark Zwolinski shortly after he retired. “(O)n nights you knew you had to fight, there were nerves. You never slept the night before. But you dealt with it or you didn’t. You don’t really get over it. You just go out there and do your job.”

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:06 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

Wow. That's terrible. Offseason from hell.

RIP, big guy.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:23 PM
hockeyguy8787
Rookie User

Send a message via AIM to hockeyguy8787
Belak a suicide? I can't believe it...

I really hope the initial reports tonight on Toronto media stations are wrong; this guy seemed to have so much STILL GOING ON for himself post career...Battle of the Blades, TV colour for Nashville, wife, kids...just cant' be tell me it was an accident please!
God bless him he was one of the good guys,

hockeyguy8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:59 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 313
3 guys who played in the NHL last year have now died in the off season

WTF

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 04:25 AM
AEM6729

This is so sad. We just saw him in Franklin on Thursday with a film crew from his skating show following him and his girls around. Until more information comes out it's not right to speculate, but I cannot imagine this being intentional. It would boggle my mind.

Praying for his family. RIP Wade.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:12 AM
predatorsfan2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
This is so sad. We just saw him in Franklin on Thursday with a film crew from his skating show following him and his girls around. Until more information comes out it's not right to speculate, but I cannot imagine this being intentional. It would boggle my mind.

Praying for his family. RIP Wade.
I totally agree. Anything but suicide.
I don't think I could wrap my head around suicide. He had so much to look forward to! I just can't believe it.

RIP Wade

predatorsfan2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Legionnaire11

RIP Wade Belak

This is a complete shock, as others have said, what a great guy with so much still to live for. It's been a nightmare summer for the NHL, I can't wait for action on the ice to resume so that we have an outlet for honoring these men and a way to move forward as a community.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:07 AM
AEM6729

Has anyone heard if Predators fans are doing anything in remembrance of Wade, like leaving things at the Bridge or something? I don't even know what we could do. I just want his wife and children to know, that in whatever small way we can demonstrate it, we loved and respected their husband and we're thinking of them too.

I can't even imagine what they're going through right now.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:28 AM
MattPreds37

RIP Wade Belak

Having met the guy 4 or 5 times, suicide seems almost impossible to me, but I guess you never know what others are dealing with. I believe the organization will do something, this is almost too sad to think about.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Doyle

Belak’s warm, friendly personality left a mark

http://nhlhotstove.com/belaks-warm-f...y-left-a-mark/

Touching story for those interested. Thanks

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:27 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Horrible news. Nice to see Nashville fans remembering him. My thoughts and prayers are with him. Didn't help that Denis Potvin continually brought up "depression" on the Team 1200 today when no one has any clue what happened.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:30 AM
SavageSteve

RIP Wade Belak Always scary to see someone die that you cheered for, that is my wife's age, and know was a person that always made people happy. Plus he had two little girls around the same ages as mine and can't imagine what would be going through their minds losing their Daddy.

When Solomon on 102.5 said a prescription drug overdose, I immediately thought of Ambien and the weird scary effects it had on my late brother-in-law when he took it when having trouble sleeping while he was doing amateur wrestling and taking folding chairs to the head like the WWE guys did (w/out causing too much pain in concert w/ the other wrestler as ENTERTAINMENT). While it wasn't the Ambien that got him (actually untreated sleep apnea did), it did make him a very different person while taking it. While this is wild unsubstantiated speculation on my part w/ regards to Belak, I do often find my gut reactions correct more so than my rationalizations and ask that anyone taking medications like Ambien re-evaluate these w/ your physician.

Going thru the pics of games I have on my computer and rediscovered this pic of him that was taken at the Preds/Sharks game going 'knucks w/ Jody Shelley right before the Olympic Break the season before last where the family had Center Ice Club Seats.

We'll miss you Beaker and pray that your family can move on from this tragedy!!

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:33 AM
PredsChik

He wasn't just a player for our team, he was ours, one of us. Everything I'm proud to identify with as a Nashvillian he embodied and would defend us against anyone and everyone. So sad. RIP Wade.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i clicked in the middle of it and saw his baby girl. i turned it off. everytime i met the guy he was nice to me. this sucks.
I never met the guy & I'm sick to my stomach, just because he was able to make me laugh after a game or during it ... & Amen to what PredsChick20 said right above me

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:59 PM
jlsg

This is a sad time. Regardless of why, the world is worse off for not having him around. I saw him just a week or so ago at AGAme skating with his little girls. The way he acted with them was impressive. He was even wearing figure skates like they did. A truly sad day.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
MattPreds37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
This is a sad time. Regardless of why, the world is worse off for not having him around. I saw him just a week or so ago at AGAme skating with his little girls. The way he acted with them was impressive. He was even wearing figure skates like they did. A truly sad day.
What a class act, my row will be spelling out Wade Belak in signs for the home opener as a tribute to Wade.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Puckscene.com (Patten Fuqua) has organized a Wade Belak Memorial Charity Drive on his site to benefit the Tourette Syndrome Clinic at Toronto Western Hospital which was the charity Wade had decided to support with his winnings from the "Battle of the Blades" show on CBC. One of Wade's daughters suffers from Tourette's.

Information about the Charity Drive can be found here:

http://www.puckscene.com/wade-belak-...charity-drive/

The goal is to raise $3,333 total via $3 donations.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:26 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Puckscene.com (Patten Fuqua) has organized a Wade Belak Memorial Charity Drive on his site to benefit the Tourette Syndrome Clinic at Toronto Western Hospital which was the charity Wade had decided to support with his winnings from the "Battle of the Blades" show on CBC. One of Wade's daughters suffers from Tourette's.

Information about the Charity Drive can be found here:

http://www.puckscene.com/wade-belak-...charity-drive/

The goal is to raise $3,333 total via $3 donations.
done.

I challenge my fellow board members to step up, and once you have donated post in this thread.

I will match each $3 donation made by a poster between now and 6PM central time tomorrow night, up to a maximum of 50.

you dont have to be a preds board poster, anyone can do it.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote