HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Price goes down, Are we done for sure?

Old
08-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I don't believe Rask can be the Bruins' goalie for an extended period of time. They have horrible defensive transition, and their goalie might often feel abandoned by their D.

Rask has too much temper to stomach being left alone (and scored upon). If that happens, he might start actively mistrusting his blueline, which lead to a 09-10 Price unreliability level.

Either Rask calm his legendary temper, or the Bruins learn how to change zone more efficiently.
I think Rask is ready to be a good starter right now. If he wasn't stuck behind Thomas he'd be able to prove it.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Spectaculard
On your knees, Lucy

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Depends for how long. If its a long injury I see us fighting for a playoff spot. I really think people are underestimating Budaj.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think Rask is ready to be a good starter right now. If he wasn't stuck behind Thomas he'd be able to prove it.
The past 3 years, the only season Thomas didn't win the Vezina, Rask played 45 games and had a NHL best 1.97 GAA with a .931pct which was also the best in the NHL.

As for the OP question, yes, the Habs are done if Price goes down or has a less than great year.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:39 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
The past 3 years, the only season Thomas didn't win the Vezina, Rask played 45 games and had a NHL best 1.97 GAA with a .931pct which was also the best in the NHL.
I have no doubt that he's going to be a very good goalie if not great.
Quote:
As for the OP question, yes, the Habs are done if Price goes down or has a less than great year.
I think if Price has an average year, the club will struggle to get into 8th. But I think the team is better than it's been in a while. I still think we'd get in.

If he gets hurt, we're in trouble and will have to make a trade.

Old
09-01-2011, 03:23 AM
OneSharpMarble

Yes, Budaj is unreal bad.

Should have got Turco, I really don't know how this total plug got signed and Turco didn't.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 04:02 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

Should have got Turco, I really don't know how this total plug got signed and Turco didn't.
Turco is finished.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Nope. We would probably still make the playoffs somehow.
This!

The system allows Montreal to always do OK, no matter what. Habs made the playoffs in the past with a worse team and guys like Huet/Hackett in net.

Losing Price would hurt and would put us in a tuff spot and potential good pick, but people saying we would be lottery pick material (top 5) are exagerating and over valuing Price's contribution. Habs would probably pick around 8-12 if it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

lol, he's even worse than Budaj. That guy is done, stick a fork in him.

Last edited by Mike8: 09-01-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: merge
Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:04 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Yes. We are absolutely done.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:29 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

Rask was awful last year though...the B's are done if Thomas gets injured also...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:37 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
I don't believe Rask can be the Bruins' goalie for an extended period of time. They have horrible defensive transition, and their goalie might often feel abandoned by their D.

Rask has too much temper to stomach being left alone (and scored upon). If that happens, he might start actively mistrusting his blueline, which lead to a 09-10 Price unreliability level.

Either Rask calm his legendary temper, or the Bruins learn how to change zone more efficiently.
But there is still no doubting his talent. I agree, his attitude is quite bad but so was Price's attitude two seasons ago. Rask has the same problem, only it seems to be more explosive than Carey. He would often fly off the handle and throw objects. Honestly, all he really needs is a veteran or two to pull him aside and calm him down. Like Price, he really needs to learn his place. A guy like Seidenberg or a Chara needs to pull him aside and talk to him, a la Markov and Gill.

I've never doubted his talent, nor his compete level. The things in question are his confidence, maturity and overall attitude, which will all come in time.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:50 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
But there is still no doubting his talent. I agree, his attitude is quite bad but so was Price's attitude two seasons ago. Rask has the same problem, only it seems to be more explosive than Carey. He would often fly off the handle and throw objects. Honestly, all he really needs is a veteran or two to pull him aside and calm him down. Like Price, he really needs to learn his place. A guy like Seidenberg or a Chara needs to pull him aside and talk to him, a la Markov and Gill.

I've never doubted his talent, nor his compete level. The things in question are his confidence, maturity and overall attitude, which will all come in time.
Price's attitude problem was during 09-10, while the team (in part because of Gomez) didn't fully bought JM's hermetic system.

That kind of open play was the cause of many turnover, with odd man rush, where the goalie feels abandoned by his teammates.

Price's attitude improved exponentially in 10-11 because of two factors: Subban (very good chemistry) and the 2010's playoffs, when the team went with Gill and Martin's philosophy and became a lot more supportive of their goalie.

Suddenly, Price felt there was always somebody to back him out during a breakaway or a 2 on 1. Defensemen were always there to clear the puck in time. Protecting your goalie' psyche is as important as protecting his net.

The Bruins' transition system is, sorry to say, horrible. Thomas could mentally deal with it, because of his incredible experience. But Tukk?

Nah. He flares. He blows up. Having a veteran talk to you when you feel HE let you down is just salt on the wound.

Goalies you can throw into the fire early in their career are very rare. Roy was like that, Price isn't. Tukk isn't.

Nothing to do with skill, everything to do with the blame and the ego. Tukk takes everything personally. Price used to, but he now seems to mature into a more laid back goalie. When he or a D screws up, he's all: "well, that was the blunder of the night, there won't be another"

Tukk's reaction seems more: "damn, are they going to let me down again?"

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:03 AM
JHabs61

Quote:

Tukk's reaction seems more: "damn, are they going to let me down again?"
I'm not sure how we will do... I need to see Budaj play with the system and a full-time Goalie coach befor I could make a final decision. Guess I needed to be a bit more specific with the question: Lets say PRice would be out for 20 games.. what do you think Budaj's record would be?

haha. quickly put this together......
Attached Images
File Type: png ragecomic.png‎ (143.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by JHabs61: 09-01-2011 at 11:14 AM.
JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price2Pleks View Post
I don't think we would be. Budaj never worked with a full-time goalie coach in Colorado, and now he gets to work with Pierre Groulx full-time. He also posted 15-21-4 record on a 29th place Colorado team. Bring in Jacques Martin's defensive system and a full-time Goalie coach and Budaj's numbers can only improve. So here's the question. Where will we finish in the worst situation happens, and how much faith do you have in Budaj?

If Price wen tdown for 20 games, what would happen, adn what would be Budaj's record..? How many starts would Lawson/Call-ups get?
If Price was down for 20 games, as long as the rest of the team was healthy, it shouldn't cost us more than a few points in the standings. Budaj is solid if he has a decent defense in front of him(defense was terrible last year in Colorado).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Rask was awful last year though...the B's are done if Thomas gets injured also...
I completely disagree. He had a .918 save percentage last year. That's very good. He just wound up getting stuck behind a goalie who had the best statistical season of the modern era.

The Bruins could deal off Thomas, get even stronger in other areas and still have a great goalie for years to come. Admittedly though, that would take balls of steel after the year he just had.

Old
09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I completely disagree. He had a .918 save percentage last year. That's very good. He just wound up getting stuck behind a goalie who had the best statistical season of the modern era.

The Bruins could deal off Thomas, get even stronger in other areas and still have a great goalie for years to come. Admittedly though, that would take balls of steel after the year he just had.
They have to get quicker D, or a tighter gameplan. Otherwise, such course of action would be disastrous.

Old
09-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Komarov47

Auld < Budaj.

Budaj was a starter few years ago, he struggled a lot then, but Price season will say if the Habs are a playoff team or not.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

IMO, if EVER the Habs were to lose Price due to injury and we are in a very bad spot, Gauthier should trade AK46 and others pieces to gather the most picks (preferably 1st round picks) as possible in order to revamp our prospect pool that is getting really ordinary. We should do like Florida and Ottawa who both had around 3 to 4 picks in the 1st round at last year's draft and the one before. A top 5 pick could really make our future much much better...once Gomez is gone and all other old vets like Spacek and cie.

Top 5:
Alex Galchenyuk
Filip Forsberg
Ryan Murray

Top 15:
Martin Frk
Henrik Samuelsson
Jacob Trouba

Late 1st:
Michael Matheson
Cody Ceci
Zemgus Girgensons

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:48 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

Rask would fold with the pressure of being a number 1 guy.....2 seasons ago, he took the job from Thomas, and folded in the playoffs, and then when expected to play well last year, he was brutal and Thomas took the job back....I would have more faith in alot of other backups, before Rask, just my .02 cents...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Like hell they are. Rask is awesome, he just had a down year.

We're going to be in trouble if Price goes down (unless Budaj magically shows he can carry the load), but the B's goaltending is better/deeper than ours, overall.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 09:59 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Rask would fold with the pressure of being a number 1 guy.....2 seasons ago, he took the job from Thomas, and folded in the playoffs, and then when expected to play well last year, he was brutal and Thomas took the job back....I would have more faith in alot of other backups, before Rask, just my .02 cents...
It's not an insurmountable flaw. It can be tempered with time and care, trust and teamwork.

Problem is, the B's playstyle is very bad to shape a young, aggressive goalie's psyche. For reasons I already stated.

Rask CAN become a top #1, but first he has to start not taking everything personnal.

Old
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
If he gets hurt, we're in trouble and will have to make a trade.
What are your thoughts on Emery. I believe this guy has the potential to be a good goaltender in the NHL, but he has major attitude problems that usually get the best of him. With the leadership on the team, both on offense and defense, maybe they could calm him down a little and bring out the best in him.

I understand he signed a try-out with Chicago, but if things don't work then he could become available for the Habs, should Price ever go down. Knock on wood of course.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote