HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Lounge XVIII (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I think I'm now obligated to post without a smiley.

On a side note...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...le-merger.html
This has me absolutely thrilled.
It is, for all intent, the AT&T of old all over again, the only difference being it is now centered around cell phones rather than landlines.

Old
08-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
It is, for all intent, the AT&T of old all over again, the only difference being it is now centered around cell phones rather than landlines.
Oh, absolutely. I was concerned personally because I hopped to T-Mobile to get away from AT&T.

Some folks here may have caught my earlier reaction to this news elsewhere, which was something along the lines of "PRAISE THE GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY, HALLELUJAH!"

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
08-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Accidents happen...

They do indeed.

Old
08-31-2011, 03:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Oh, absolutely. I was concerned personally because I hopped to T-Mobile to get away from AT&T.
I must be the only person in America that has been happily on AT&T for the last 12 years. I also don't intend to leave because I am also grandfathered in under my original data plan.

Old
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
I must be the only person in America that has been happily on AT&T for the last 12 years. I also don't intend to leave because I am also grandfathered in under my original data plan.
My problem when I lived in Ohio was that for my former job, I was going all over the place, and cell phone service was terrible under AT&T. The number of dead spots I'd encounter was incredible.

I went to Verizon because while they were a tad pricier, they also boasted the best coverage compared to any other major provider at that time. I honestly was able to use my cell phone again with no problems. It was nice. Add in my company discount and I was getting a great deal on my monthly bill. Even having moved to Florida, the complaints of AT&T by others still exist.

I am a firm believer that a cell phone plan, including selection of company, should be tailored to where you live, where you go, and how you plan to use your cell phone. So AT&T may indeed work for some people. But for many people I know, in the areas I have lived, AT&T is a no-go. I also know of people who shyed away from the iPhone until it came to Verizon, simply because they did not want to deal with AT&T.

Old
08-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:

There are two of us.

Old
08-31-2011, 04:16 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
My problem when I lived in Ohio was that for my former job, I was going all over the place, and cell phone service was terrible under AT&T. The number of dead spots I'd encounter was incredible.
I've heard others complain about this issue, but with all the traveling I've done I've never encountered an issue with cell coverage. I have with 3G, but not regular cellular. I even had ok coverage is some of the hills of Perry County.

I used to do consulting, so I hit a lot of places all around the greater Ohio area. This is includes some out of the way companies that are out in the middle of no where (Shelly Company for example).

So while I'm not saying that your statement is false, I've never encountered the level of frustration you have. It was either an issue a long time ago, or you were just have really "good" luck.

The other complaints I've heard is slow 3G, that can be true, as well as disconnected calls. The later has become a non issue. The only disconnected calls I get is in elevators, stair wells, as the like. Places where I wouldn't venture with any cell phone and expect it to always work.

Last edited by blahblah: 08-31-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old
08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
I've heard others complain about this issue, but with all the traveling I've done I've never encountered an issue with cell coverage. I have with 3G, but not regular cellular. I even had ok coverage is some of the hills of Perry County.

I used to do consulting, so I hit a lot of places all around the greater Ohio area. This is includes some out of the way companies that are out in the middle of no where (Shelly Company for example).

So while I'm not saying that your statement is false, I've never encountered the level of frustration you have. It was either an issue a long time ago, or you were just have really "good" luck.

The other complaints I've heard is slow 3G, that can be true, as well as disconnected calls. The later has become a non issue. The only disconnected calls I get is in elevators, stair wells, as the like. Places where I wouldn't venture with any cell phone and expect it to always work.
I admit some of my usage was a few years ago, especially since I lost my job over two years ago, but my usage is based on what I experienced. AT&T coverage sucked in the areas of Perry County and Coshocton County, though, especially Coshocton County.

Old
08-31-2011, 08:24 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
You don't know what you have until it's gone.
Well, I've been out of college for 2+ years and I guess I'm still waiting to find out what I had...

And on the cell phone debate. I was with cingular for a few years and never had any problems. Then they were acquired by AT&T and things were fine for a while. Slowly but surely the quality of the coverage seemed to drop though. I have no idea how that is possible.

Maybe I was just visiting new areas of Columbus that I never went to before and low and behold I was finding dead spots. My texts would inexplicably vanish or be delivered days late. I finally got fed up about a year ago, switched to Verizon and I'm content with my cell phone again. The really nice thing is the flexibility of the plans. I just went over my txt plan limit earlier this week, but my cycle isn't up yet so I can bump it up to the next level without incurring ridiculous fees. With AT&T? I got a bill that was 2X normal once because I had a text heavy month. With my meager employee discount and my lack of cell phone use beyond traditional calling and texting my plan is cheap enough for me and I don't get any nasty surprises.

Old
08-31-2011, 11:06 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i'm one of the 5 ppl on T-Mobile...was great when I lived in atlanta...when i moved back here it was eh...but has got significantly better over last couple years....i still have some data issues when traveling towards wheeling...but, good enough for me...

Old
09-01-2011, 07:35 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
My texts would inexplicably vanish or be delivered days late.
I had that issue with older phones. Never seen it on my two IPhones (original 3G and now the 4). On one phone it was a regular occurrence to have to shut off the phone and turn it back on, the phone wouldn't ring when people called, etc. Had the issue with two of 10 or so phones I've had in the last 12 years.

Thought it was the carrier, but when I swapped the phone all the problems went away.

To give you an idea of weird problems with phones, my Mom wasn't able to hear anyone during calls. Regular or speaker. I forget what options I was playing with in an attempt to fix it, but after giving up she randomly turned off off the wireless option (not know what it even was) and the problem went away. Obviously no one is blaming Verizon on that issue.

Not every issue is with the carrier, even if it seems like it is on the surface.

Old
09-01-2011, 07:54 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I've been on AT&T for 10+ years and rarely have had coverage issues.

Billing issues, on the other hand ....

Old
09-01-2011, 07:57 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I had that issue with older phones. Never seen it on my two IPhones (original 3G and now the 4). On one phone it was a regular occurrence to have to shut off the phone and turn it back on, the phone wouldn't ring when people called, etc. Had the issue with two of 10 or so phones I've had in the last 12 years.

Thought it was the carrier, but when I swapped the phone all the problems went away.

To give you an idea of weird problems with phones, my Mom wasn't able to hear anyone during calls. Regular or speaker. I forget what options I was playing with in an attempt to fix it, but after giving up she randomly turned off off the wireless option (not know what it even was) and the problem went away. Obviously no one is blaming Verizon on that issue.

Not every issue is with the carrier, even if it seems like it is on the surface.
My brother lives in Washington and often works in NYC and Los Angeles. He has an iPhone, which he loves, and no doubt it can do amazing things. What it's worst at, though, is actual phone calls! In all three big cities, his calls are often garbled and, not infrequently, dropped. It's certainly nice to have a magic phone that acts as a mobile PC, but it's not so useful if you also must carry another device to provide traditional phone service! I use an HTC Droid with Verizon. Maybe it's not quite the techno marvel the iPhone is, but I can use it to make phone calls and expect them to be clear and uninterrupted (unless I call him, of course!).

Oh, and I can usually access the HF circus when I'm out and about!

Old
09-01-2011, 08:10 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
My brother lives in Washington and often works in NYC and Los Angeles. He has an iPhone, which he loves, and no doubt it can do amazing things. What it's worst at, though, is actual phone calls! In all three big cities,
Have had no issues in NY. Can't speak for the other two locations. Had no issues in Vegas (well other than the 3G being supremely slow, even for AT&T standards).

Last edited by blahblah: 09-01-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old
09-01-2011, 08:12 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
I've been on AT&T for 10+ years and rarely have had coverage issues.

Billing issues, on the other hand ....
I've heard of billing issues... with all carriers... Since I never go over my minutes and have unlimited data, so billing has never been an issue for me.

AT&T support is aweful.

Old
09-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Tracfone guy here ... I don't use my cell phone enough to merit the nearly $100/month. I bought my Tracfone almost two full years ago, and I don't think I've spent $200 total on it.

Maybe I'm just a loser? I don't know, but it sure beats paying out that monthly charge.

Old
09-01-2011, 10:02 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post
Tracfone guy here ... I don't use my cell phone enough to merit the nearly $100/month. I bought my Tracfone almost two full years ago, and I don't think I've spent $200 total on it.

Maybe I'm just a loser? I don't know, but it sure beats paying out that monthly charge.
I have everything integrated in with the Iphone, IPad, Apple TV, etc. The actual phone bill portion is around $40 a month. I don't like paying 3 different data plans, but everyone wants their cut. That costs around $115 a month.

However I get unlimited streaming through Nextflix (or other services and my data plan for my Iphone is unlimited) when I am out of town and quite a few hotels have the IPhone/IPad hook up to the TV. I bring my component connector for my IPhone/IPad just in case. Sync up some movies and I'm gold.

It's far more than just a phone.

Old
09-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Meh. I ultimately ran away from AT&T because their coverage near my Temple (which is also my workplace) was (and still is) spotty and worthless - it regularly switched between "4 or 5 bars" and "no signal", in the middle of calls, while standing still. I used to have this line about how they didn't use a "cell tower" so much as they used a sort of rotating radar dome.

When I picked up my Nokia N900 (which uses TMo's 3G spectrum bands, not AT&T's), it was the perfect excuse to jump ship for one of TMo's then-new no-contract plans.

Old
09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i'm one of the 5 ppl on T-Mobile...was great when I lived in atlanta...when i moved back here it was eh...but has got significantly better over last couple years....i still have some data issues when traveling towards wheeling...but, good enough for me...
When I red your post and saw T-Mobile I remembered the prices of our mobil operators....

Old
09-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo View Post

This. I've used a Verizon Pay-as-you-go phone for almost four years now and only pay 15 a month for like 240 minutes of time

Old
09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Skraut

after 10 years of trying, and all sorts of fertility treatments finally resulting in IVF, Mrs Skraut and I are pregnant.

naturally, this is my first purchase.

Does the Blue Line make an Inaugural Baby patch I can put on these? It'll probably cost more than the jerseys

Old
09-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
after 10 years of trying, and all sorts of fertility treatments finally resulting in IVF, Mrs Skraut and I are pregnant.

naturally, this is my first purchase.

Does the Blue Line make an Inaugural Baby patch I can put on these? It'll probably cost more than the jerseys
Congrats

Wish you a safe, healthy, and uneventful term.

Old
09-01-2011, 07:43 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Congrats

Wish you a safe, healthy, and uneventful term.
Same here, Skraut!

Old
09-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Yea! Yea! Yea! Skraut. That baby is gonna have the most AWESOME home movies chronicling his/her/?their? lives!

Raising kids has been by far the best thing, most fun, I've done so far in my life. Nothing compares.

Hugs to Mrs Skraut!

Last edited by Derby: 09-01-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: was chided for overuse of the word epic in modern culture. Bullied into changing my adjective to awesome.
Old
09-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew

Closed Thread