HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Hockey News Picks CBJ to Finish 12th

Old
08-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I just picked up the yearbook, and I think you're wrong here to link the 2 together. I'd gotten the impression that they'd finally combined them, but they clearly didn't.

Two different things, done by two entirely different teams of people. I've always found the fantasy guide to be cartoonishly optimistic with their numbers.

So complain about the 12th ranking all you'd like. They certainly provided lots of ammunition. (Colorado 9th???? Jared Boll as 3rd line RW????) Just don't use the fantasy numbers as evidence.
They'd cited the fantasy numbers in each ranking (see page 3 of each profile) and they seem to use similar reasoning (they talk about a breakout year for Duchene for Colorado as a big part of their prediction - and at the same time pencil in Joakim Lindstrom - yes, that Joakim Lindstrom - as their 2nd line RW), but I'll accept that they may not actually be doing the math.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Overkamp

The Jackets vastly improved their top 6 and added a top pairing defenseman (questionable) in Wisniewski but haven't fixed the Mason problem.

That's the only issue I see and probably why THN picked you 12th.

Mason has to return close to his 08/09 numbers. Period. Having a .900 save percentage and a GA above three will only put Columbus exactly where THN put them.

Good teams are built from defense out. It's almost as if Howson added Carter and Wisniewski to outscore the other team. That rarely works.

Here's to hoping for a competitive season from you guys.

Good luck.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
The Jackets vastly improved their top 6 and added a top pairing defenseman (questionable) in Wisniewski but haven't fixed the Mason problem.

That's the only issue I see and probably why THN picked you 12th.
See, I still don't get this. In what way is hiring a replacement full-time goalie coach "not fixing the Mason problem"? Especially as compared with the efforts of a few other teams - or is THN saying that they'd have perfect confidence in us if only it was Columbus who traded a bunch of top picks in a deep draft for a bitter Russian who already had one foot out the door to the KHL?

Still ridiculous IMO.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
See, I still don't get this. In what way is hiring a replacement full-time goalie coach "not fixing the Mason problem"? Especially as compared with the efforts of a few other teams - or is THN saying that they'd have perfect confidence in us if only it was Columbus who traded a bunch of top picks in a deep draft for a bitter Russian who already had one foot out the door to the KHL?

Still ridiculous IMO.
Not sure why you think having a full time goalie coach is a 100% cure for your goalie situation. It only helps if Mason takes advantage of it. That doesn't always happen..Actually it doesn't a lot more often than you think.

It's just my opinion. You don't have to agree.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:06 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
Not sure why you think having a full time goalie coach is a 100% cure for your goalie situation. It only helps if Mason takes advantage of it. That doesn't always happen..Actually it doesn't a lot more often than you think.

It's just my opinion. You don't have to agree.
Most people here are basically saying that regardless of Mason, the team is much improved. Its hard for Mason to play well and repeat his rookie season when the defense is bottom five and the offense is inconsistent at best. Now Mason doesn't have to play his best superman rendition every game.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 10:22 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Masons problems were as much the guys in front of him as they were him. Perhaps some more scoring, if not a completely better defense, will help shave some off his GAA.

and Colorado is going to suck. Epic suck. You heard it here first. I see no way they finish higher than 13th unless Calgary finishes lower. It seems painfully obvious to me that they are in full on tank mode. And it hurts to say this,because colorado was my western team before the jackets.

Old
08-31-2011, 09:09 AM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post
Masons problems were as much the guys in front of him as they were him. Perhaps some more scoring, if not a completely better defense, will help shave some off his GAA.

and Colorado is going to suck. Epic suck. You heard it here first. I see no way they finish higher than 13th unless Calgary finishes lower. It seems painfully obvious to me that they are in full on tank mode. And it hurts to say this,because colorado was my western team before the jackets.
I'm with you in that sentiment. I also think Phoenix, Calgary and Dallas take major steps backwards.

I will say that Mason is a very large answer to the "where do we end up" question but the team around him should be much better. If he eliminates the soft goals (seems like every other game....) I think that takes us further than any of us might think.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Roadman
Moving On

While I agree that goalie performance will have a great bearing on how the Jackets finish, isn't that pretty much the case across the league? Kind of like pitching in BB?

I have read so many opinions that Mason has to return to his Caulder form for the Jackets to be competitive. I would think that if he does that, more than making the playoffs would be in the offing. With the expected improvements in the offense and PP, I would think that a competitive GAA and save % would go a long way to making the playoffs.

If the goalie combo can just finish in the top half of the league instead of near the bottom, the improvement to the team record would be dramatic. I don't think goal tending has to win it, just not lose it. A occasional stealing of a game is always nice, but don't think we are going to have to live and die by it, like in the playoff year.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:22 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I have read so many opinions that Mason has to return to his Caulder form for the Jackets to be competitive.
I think the question would be what part of his Caulder year form are we looking for? This is splitting hairs, but his performance in March, in that year, is closer to what we need than what he did in November. We can't really expect anything like what he did in December.

A 2.5 or lower should do the trick. I would like to see him get back on track for 10 shutouts a year.

A goal every other game doesn't sound like a lot to ask.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:46 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i'd like to see b/t 2.5 and 2.75 per game...i'm probably more interested in what dex brings right now tho...

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:08 AM
blahblah

anything over 2.6 and I have a hard time digesting it.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:02 PM
TSA0402

I'd think at 2.6 we are fine.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:15 PM
FlameChampion

Wouldnt really take it personally, I think alot of the teams that are like 6-13 are really close. Bad start, bad slump, key injuries and everything could change. Think this year the race to the playoffs is going to be really exciting.

FlameChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:19 PM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
The reasoning process that they employ to get us at 12th seems devoid of any real merit.
Which is why Viqsi is calling them out, which is a point most people seem to be missing. I just dont understand how you can project Prospal getting 37 points in 75 games. I know he's older, but he's going to be playing with a top 6 that is arguably better than the Rangers teams he was on, and every season of his career so far (non injury shortened) he's been a 20g 35-40 assist player. Not to mention he was on fire when healthy last year. I just dont get it

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Anisimovs AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Playoff teams in the West:

Definitely:
Nashville
Vancouver
San Jose
Los Angeles

Probably:
Detroit
Anaheim
Chicago

And nobody really certain underneath that. That leaves a lot of room for Columbus, which has made major upgrades, to make a move. The only hitch I can see is that three of those playoff teams are in the division.
How is nashville more of a lock to make the playoffs than detroit? Seriously people, where do you guys come up with this ****

Anisimovs AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffiRules View Post
Which is why Viqsi is calling them out, which is a point most people seem to be missing. I just dont understand how you can project Prospal getting 37 points in 75 games. I know he's older, but he's going to be playing with a top 6 that is arguably better than the Rangers teams he was on, and every season of his career so far (non injury shortened) he's been a 20g 35-40 assist player. Not to mention he was on fire when healthy last year. I just dont get it

Because we are Columbus.

And until the Team can shoulder their way into the playoffs and win some in the playoffs nothing we say or project will make any difference.

Until it is proven other wise we will always be thought of the way we are thought of at this point.

Winning cures all.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote