HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wade Belak found dead

Old
09-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Such a shame, Belak was one of the nicest guys in the NHL. RIP.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
This is the tip of the iceberg in regards to NHL players abusing pain pills, IMO.
Yeah this isn't exactly anything that is exclusive to NHL players either. Although, it is odd that 3 guys with the same role all die in the offseason from similar causes. It could be a coincidence but it is worth looking into to see if there is a bigger issue here. And I saw the comment about retirement, Boogaard just signed a long term inflated deal last year and Rypien just signed a deal with Winnipeg this summer.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:54 PM
MsWoof

It was confirmed that he hung himself. It's all they're talking about up here, both on sports radio and regular radio.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Chris43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Yeah this isn't exactly anything that is exclusive to NHL players either. Although, it is odd that 3 guys with the same role all die in the offseason from similar causes. It could be a coincidence but it is worth looking into to see if there is a bigger issue here. And I saw the comment about retirement, Boogaard just signed a long term inflated deal last year and Rypien just signed a deal with Winnipeg this summer.
Not trying to pick on you or anything but I don't understand why people make comments like this. Rypien had been battling depression since his teen years and committed suicide. Boogaard became addicted to pain killers after a surgery and mixed them with alcohol. Belak well, he hung himself after retiring. While if you just look at 3 enforcers dying in a 4 month stretch yea they are similar, but once you look at the facts they are all completely different. I am not saying that the NHL shouldn't do more to help their players but to say they all died of the same thing is wrong.

Last edited by Chris43: 09-01-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Chris43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:04 PM
MJones31

vCash: 696
http://www.puckscene.com/wade-belak-...charity-drive/

MJones31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It was confirmed that he hung himself. It's all they're talking about up here, both on sports radio and regular radio.
That's rough. I thought he wasn't completely out of the game, I thought he was doing something for the Preds radio?

Old
09-02-2011, 06:35 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
That's rough. I thought he wasn't completely out of the game, I thought he was doing something for the Preds radio?
Yeah, he was doing something for Preds radio. I think he started with it last year, even though he was still playing.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
He was going to be an on air personality for TV I believe for the Preds. He was also going to be on Battle of the Blades and seemed really excited about it on Twitter. In fact, he tweeted about it the night before. People have pictures of him partying the night before in TO. It's just so weird, especially since he was JUST on the radio talking about Rypien and Boogaard.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris43 View Post
Not trying to pick on you or anything but I don't understand why people make comments like this. Rypien had been battling depression since his teen years and committed suicide. Boogaard became addicted to pain killers after a surgery and mixed them with alcohol. Belak well, he hung himself after retiring. While if you just look at 3 enforcers dying in a 4 month stretch yea they are similar, but once you look at the facts they are all completely different. I am not saying that the NHL shouldn't do more to help their players but to say they all died of the same thing is wrong.
Don't worry.. I got my big boy pants on!

I was just throwing the possibility out there. I thought they all died from pills in which case that would be an eerie coincidence. Three enforcers with a self inflicted deaths in one summer is enough to at least consider there could be a bigger issue. They all could be isolated incidents as well. Again, doesn't hurt to look into the issue. That is all I'm saying.

Old
09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Johnny Utah

Boogaard mixed pain killers and alcohol and died accidently, Rypien has been fighting depression for years and we don't know the story about Belak yet...so blaming fighting is kinda ridiculous at this point.

John Kordic was the last heavyweight to die a tragic death during his playing career. If fighting was to blame, what about the hundreds of enforcers since the 1920's? Shouldn't more besides Kordic be dead?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Boogaard mixed pain killers and alcohol and died accidently, Rypien has been fighting depression for years and we don't know the story about Belak yet...so blaming fighting is kinda ridiculous at this point.

John Kordic was the last heavyweight to die a tragic death during his playing career. If fighting was to blame, what about the hundreds of enforcers since the 1920's? Shouldn't more besides Kordic be dead?
To add to that, look at a guy like Grimson who was a top heavy for years and what does he do after his playing days? Goes to law school and becomes a lawyer.

Old
09-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post

I don't know if you are referring to me but I'm not blaming fighting. I didn't say that, you are implying that if in fact you are referring to my comments. I'm merely posing a question that maybe, just maybe there is a bigger issue at hand. Not fighting necesarrily but maybe players in general aren't getting access to the type of treatment or care they need? It could be pure coincidence that they are all enforcers but they are all also hockey players. And again, it may have zero to do with hockey but this could shed some light on areas where the NHL and the NHLPA need to do a better job of taking care of their players. Maybe they do offer them access to all kinds of treatment and care and these just happen to be 3 isolated incidents?

I don't understand why people are getting defensive about asking a simple question. I guess asking a question and finding answers is a lot harder than burying your head in the sand and making assumptions.

Old
09-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Johnny Utah

I wasn't talking about you specifically, just been listening to TSN radio and Fan590 and they keep talking about fighting this and fighting that...it's kinda ridiculous.

I think one thing all the players seem to agree with is that NHL players aren't taken well care of after there career's are over.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:36 AM
MsWoof

It turns out Belak was suffering from depression for years. His mom confirmed it and Michael Landsberg from TSN also confirmed it after she said it.

Old
09-03-2011, 07:34 PM
AStammer7*

What Do You Think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme1995 View Post
What is going on? This is horrible.
It doesn't take much to see what is going on in the sporting world! All sports are in trouble! Its called performance enhancing substances and everyone is doing them for the mega bucks!

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmaloney27 View Post
It doesn't take much to see what is going on in the sporting world! All sports are in trouble! Its called performance enhancing substances and everyone is doing them for the mega bucks!
Of the guys who died, none had problems with performance enhancing drugs.

Probert like coke and alcohol, Rypien seemed to like alcohol, Boogaard died from mixing oxycontin and alcohol. Belak suffered from depression.

Old
09-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Ajtacker

Seems like anti depression medication to me, side effects include increased risk of suicide.

Ajtacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:44 AM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajtacker View Post
Seems like anti depression medication to me, side effects include increased risk of suicide.
That's Western Medicine for ya!

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:17 AM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
He was going to be an on air personality for TV I believe for the Preds. He was also going to be on Battle of the Blades and seemed really excited about it on Twitter. In fact, he tweeted about it the night before. People have pictures of him partying the night before in TO. It's just so weird, especially since he was JUST on the radio talking about Rypien and Boogaard.
Scary IRONIC.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:49 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:

Probert like coke and alcohol, Rypien seemed to like alcohol, Boogaard died from mixing oxycontin and alcohol. Belak suffered from depression.
Does anybody know the testing system for the NHL? How often are these guys tested for PED's?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajtacker View Post
Could be. Could've been something as simple as he stopped taking his meds too.

Old
09-04-2011, 05:30 PM
AStammer7*

Nothing Is As It Seems!

Quote:

We read this news and that about players but do we really know the facts! The truth is the media gets told stories and everyone is cautious about what to say. The real truth is that these players had problems other than personal and it had to do with drugs,period!

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:04 PM
MsWoof

PJ Stock now says it wasn't suicide and more will come out in the days ahead. He said they've removed the word suicide from the report and now it just says accidental death.