HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boyes+D Prospect for Stajan+Granlund

Old
09-01-2011, 07:28 PM
sk8haggard9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Well, aren't you already writing him off? I mean, you want to bring in another center, obviously. So, it seems like you don't want to give him a chance in the first place, or am I reading too much into this hypothetical trade proposal?
I think if Stajan came here it would be for the 3rd line, allowing Hecht to move back to wing. If Leino flops at center I would rather see Hecht move up and play center for Pominville's line, due to their chemistry and Hecht's critical play centering Vanek and Pommer down the stretch last season. That would leave strong 3rd and 4th lines intact with relatively strong bottom 6 centers in Stajan and Goose, while not sacrificing much top 6 talent if Leino flops or there is an injury.

I'm still really up in the air about this deal. I honestly would like to keep Boyes, albeit he is a luxury. I feel we could get a decent amount for him at the deadline in terms of picks/prospects, because he's the kind of player teams like to add at the deadline when they're really going for it. I also like that his contract is up at the end of the year and his salary is kind of holding place for a big chunk of the Myers/Ennis signings.

Having said that, I know this team has a big need at center, but I'm just not sure if I want Stajan at 3.5. Maybe I'm just being to picky? Man, this deal is a tough one to call. Its damn sure one of the most realistic ones I've ever seen on HF. Props to whoever came up with this one. If I was Regier I'd definitely be thinking this one over carefully.

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

If we were to get Stajan, and roll a Hecht-Stajan-Gerbe line...I think Stajan could have a career season. Hecht is the ultimate glue guy who makes those around him better--and then he gets hurt and they fall back to Earth. If anyone could get Stajan back on track, it's not a star player but rather the career sidekick Jochen Hecht.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:38 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
If we were to get Stajan, and roll a Hecht-Stajan-Gerbe line...I think Stajan could have a career season. Hecht is the ultimate glue guy who makes those around him better--and then he gets hurt and they fall back to Earth. If anyone could get Stajan back on track, it's not a star player but rather the career sidekick Jochen Hecht.
I think Stajan and Hecht are very similar player, and in no way is that a bad thing. Having him or Stoll as a 3rd line C for this squad would be a big improvement on our depth, IMO.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Well, aren't you already writing him off? I mean, you want to bring in another center, obviously. So, it seems like you don't want to give him a chance in the first place, or am I reading too much into this hypothetical trade proposal?
i want a 3rd line center. so yes... you read it wrong. and it wouldnt hurt if that 3rd line center could fill in the top 6 IF necessary due to injury or other reason

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C. View Post
There is no way the dollar figure for Myers and Ennis will be under 10M/year. I predict Myers 6.5M and Ennis 3.5M as best case scenario.
prepare to be wrong

Old
09-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Stajan was carried By Kessel during his 57 point year once he was taken away from Kessel he scored 6 goals.

Not only that but while he was a Leaf he was SOFT Maybe that has changed in Calgary but in Toronto he was SOFT he's at BEST a 3rd line Center once again proven once he as taken away from Kessel.

If he couldn't click with Iggy he wouldn't click in Buffalo like I said he's at BEST a #3 center and 3.5 million for a #3 center is to damn much. Besides that I'm pretty sure he has a NTC so who is to say he'd waive to go to Buffalo? either way Trust the Leaf fan that watched him every game for 5.5 seasons you DON'T WANT HIM
40 pt/3rd line centers making similar money
Stoll 3.6
Filpulla 3.5
Bolland 3.375

Old
09-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Stajan is just another in a growing line of recent Leafs players who can't produce once they left Toronto. Stajan. Hagman. Ponikarovsky. Not sure if it's because they're forced to play both sides of the puck when they leave Toronto, and that really hurts their offense, or what the reasons are. But those three have been epic fails since leaving TO.

I'd much rather have Adam playing 3C and getting his development started than Stajan and his 3.0m turd of a contract (with a modified NTC, to boot!) infesting this roster for three years.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:06 PM
jfb392

There's not a lot of positives for us in this proposal.
We get a stupid contract and give up an expiring one plus obtain a prospect that gets more respect than he deserves because of his last name.
I might like this deal if Calgary was dumb enough to throw Max Reinhart in instead, but otherwise, no.

Plus, I'd prefer to have little to no Leafs garbage on my team.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:46 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Yep. Perhaps you're forgetting our 3rd line??? the one that is going to be centred by Hecht.... Seems pretty obvious that Jame was leaning toward that as opposed to replacing Leino - am I right or am I right?!?

Do you think it could have something to do with Toronto's system in general (Calgary's situation in the last couple years has also been pretty bleek), Wellwood was pretty soft (literally) and useless in TO, seemed to do alright when he got to VAN though didn't he??? Honestly, I feel those 2 are quite comparable in this situation.

$3.5M is just slightly above going rate for a decent centre with upside (he11, we're paying our 3rd line RW $4M right now), and since Buffalo doesn't need anything more than a 3rd liner, Stajan would seem to fit well. I would bet my left nut that Matty would wave that NTC in the blink of an eye if it meant going to a legit contender... no questions asked!!!

There is a reason nobody has signed wellwood either

If you are going to compare Stajan;s situation to anybody wellwood is the WRONG guy.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:53 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
There's not a lot of positives for us in this proposal.
We get a stupid contract and give up an expiring one plus obtain a prospect that gets more respect than he deserves because of his last name.
I might like this deal if Calgary was dumb enough to throw Max Reinhart in instead, but otherwise, no.

Plus, I'd prefer to have little to no Leafs garbage on my team.
technically he'd be Flames garbage seeing as he's with the flames

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:14 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Which Granlund are you Sabres fans talking about here?

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:16 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
Which Granlund are you Sabres fans talking about here?
Obviously Markus, as he's a Flames prospect.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Obviously Markus, as he's a Flames prospect.
Oh, ok. Sorry about that brainfart. Didn't think before posting.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:31 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
I like it alot, Not sure if Calgary fans would go for it though..
Are you nuts you're proposing a deal to get Stajan out of there that has them end up with the best player in the trade. I think they would be ok with it to get him out of there.

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:22 AM
gallagt01

Assessing Stajan/Boyes.

Stajan has a modified NTC.

I've always been a fan of Stajan. I think he's a very solid two-way center. He has always had a very noticeable gruff to his game. If he isn't scoring you still notice him because he's working hard and moving his feet. He's a very good guy to have on your forecheck and he likes to initiate contact (even if he isn't overpowering anybody). Boyes is a player that you only really notice when he's scoring goals or has the puck. Buffalo has had a flood of those players since the lockout and I'm sure we all agree that they don't help you win playoff games.

Admittedly, that's my assessment of Stajan when he was a Leaf. I haven't seen him play as a Flame. At 27, I would hope he's still very much the same player that he was in 'tronna, only falling on some difficult offensive times playing for a weak offensive team. Six goals in 76 games for a center is awful.

Contracts are extremely close in terms of cap-hit. Calgary takes on a little bit. Essentially the contracts are a wash and don't help our current cap-situation, but they don't hurt it either. If Boyes is traded, some may want it to be for more cap-relief than this deal provides.

In summary:

Pros:
-Adding a center/flipping excess of wingers for center.
-Adding a hard worker (gruff) who could put up similar numbers/losing a streaky player.
-Getting very slight cap relief (could be a con).

Cons:
-Not getting enough cap relief
-Most likely sacrificing some offense to bring in a player playing a position of need.

Essentially, I'm pretty sure I do this. I think Boyes will be good for around 50-60 this year. Stajan, being the inferior offensive player, will probably be good for between 35-45. I think I'm willing to sacrifice ~10 points in production to add a hard working center.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote