HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trouble at CKAC

Old
09-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Let's not turn this into a political debate, there is a board if you wish to discuss politics and it's not here!

Thank you

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Like CKAC or not, this is a sad news.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:21 AM
PricePkPatch

It's 100% official?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Bulldozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Let's not turn this into a political debate, there is a board if you wish to discuss politics and it's not here!

Thank you

ps: If you accept these news to be showed on the MTL board = you should probably accept the facts to know why CKAC closed...

By the way, rookie camp starts sept. 12 & main camp sept. 16 @ Brossard center.

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 09-02-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:27 AM
7th Player

Don't wanna read too much in the CKAC closing but Richard Labbe is reporting a new french sports radio station will make its appearance in 2012. RDS through Bell?

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Wouldn't be surprised to see RDS Radio just like TSN did.

Old
09-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Like CKAC or not, this is a sad news.
Why is this sad news, exactly?

All the incompetent fools on there are now out of a job.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
I really am stunned.

You just know that whatever FM station gets the games is going to basically only allow the 30 minute pre-game show (or maybe even cut that down) and then absolutely no coverage post-game too.

This really sucks for Habs coverage. Martin McGuire is really good at keeping you updated on what is going on at practice and around the team - especially during Langlois' show in the 11 am hour. Now that will be gone.

I also felt their baseball and football coverage was getting to be quite good, now that is gone.

The Team 990 seems to be thriving despite a much smaller base for listeners. It's really odd that CKAC Sports only lasted 4 years as an all-sports station.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Fel 96
JFC

I'm not sure about this but isn't Ron Fournier now on CKOI? If so, I understand why he left CKAC.

Last edited by Fel 96: 09-02-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old
09-02-2011, 09:41 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

You having an opinion doesn't make it so.

They were a pretty good reporter team, with their failings like an other reporter team. Seeing them without a job is sad

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Bulldozer

Quote:

Yeah, and our $$$$ will pay EI instead of COGECO! It's worth the million bucks from our public pot!
Can't understand why an adult would think like this...

Old
09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
DudeDuder

Quote:

Some people (like you) take **** WAY too seriously. I enjoyed listening to that station while I was working, they didn't always say the smartest things but at least they were funny (whether it was intentional or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I'm not sure about this but isn't Ron Fournier now on CKOI? If so, I understand why he left CKAC.
I don't think that he left, he was on vacation and was suppose to come back next week.

Also, **** Cogeco, first they cancel Midi Morency (a show that kept winning prizes year after year) for no good reason and now this...

DudeDuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ee-1556830.htm

Quote:
Pour ce qui est de la programmation sportive, les émissions les plus populaires seront diffusées sur une base quotidienne au 98,5 FM. « Nous croyons au sport et à son potentiel radiophonique et nous n'abandonnons pas les auditeurs amateurs de sports. Ainsi, nous conserverons plusieurs éléments de la programmation sportive, notamment la diffusion des matchs des Canadiens, des Alouettes et de l'Impact», a souligné M. Lachance. Le contenu de la programmation sportive au 98,5 FM sera d'ailleurs dévoilé cet après-midi, le 2 septembre, à 13 h 00.
It says the most popular CKAC shows will be on 98,5 FM, but only mentions are for the Habs-Als-Impact games. Considering they turfed the morning show by all accounts, it doesn't seem like too many shows will be kept. Anyway we'll know their content at 1 PM.

If Michel Villeneuve still has a job out of this....

Old
09-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ee-1556830.htm

It says the most popular CKAC shows will be on 98,5 FM, but only mentions are for the Habs-Als-Impact games. Considering they turfed the morning show by all accounts, it doesn't seem like too many shows will be kept. Anyway we'll know their content at 1 PM.

If Michel Villeneuve still has a job out of this....
If they even considered cancelling a part of their programming to turn their station in a full time traffic one, then it must mean their ratings were pretty darn crappy. At least, that's the logical thing to think, unless there's some other type of reason I'm unaware of.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Calm down people.

http://twitter.com/#!/mathiasbrunet/...28941861519360

Quote:
J'en profite pour vous confirmer qu'il y a, en effet, projet d'une autre station radiophonique sportive à MTL. Pour 2012...
Best news out of this is that with Mike Newtown burning bridges with TVA and RC, it's pretty much over for him.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Playoff Beard

I must say I have some mixed feelings about this news. I've always been very critical about their job, especially with a few of them, but I really enjoyed Mcguire, Dube (and Burns while he was there).
And being in Quebec city, I don't think I'll be able to catch 98,5 so that kinda sucks.

Playoff Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoff Beard View Post
And being in Quebec city, I don't think I'll be able to catch 98,5 so that kinda sucks.
From what I can tell, COGECO owns 2 stations in Quebec City, so you might get coverage via one of those 2 stations.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If they even considered cancelling a part of their programming to turn their station in a full time traffic one, then it must mean their ratings were pretty darn crappy. At least, that's the logical thing to think, unless there's some other type of reason I'm unaware of.
They got a 9M contract with the government to do a traffic news station.

My guess is that this contract + having to pay much less in salary (whoever tells you that the Champlain Bridge fell will likely cost a lot less than Villeneuve, Fournier, etc.) in the end leaves them with more money in their pockets. They will also move the most listened to shows/animators to some other of their stations, hopefully raising their ratings there.

I think their ratings must have been quite good enough (iirc they were doing pretty well when there was numbers given) and that the radio in itself was likely viable, it's just a business choice where they would get more money this way.

I think that the 9M contract is a big part of this, the traffic station on its own working only with their own money would not have been worth it, but now WE will pay for it with our tax money.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
From what I can tell, COGECO owns 2 stations in Quebec City, so you might get coverage via one of those 2 stations.
I'm pretty sure Le FM 93 will broadcast Habs games.

Also, I can listen 98,5 FM here via cable radio.

Old
09-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
They got a 9M contract with the government to do a traffic news station.

My guess is that this contract + having to pay much less in salary (whoever tells you that the Champlain Bridge fell will likely cost a lot less than Villeneuve, Fournier, etc.) in the end leaves them with more money in their pockets. They will also move the most listened to shows/animators to some other of their stations, hopefully raising their ratings there.

I think their ratings must have been quite good enough (iirc they were doing pretty well when there was numbers given) and that the radio in itself was likely viable, it's just a business choice where they would get more money this way.

I think that the 9M contract is a big part of this, the traffic station on its own working only with their own money would not have been worth it, but now WE will pay for it with our tax money.
I can't understand how the population is better served by this move. Didn't Info 690 (the former news and traffic station on that frequency) close 18 months ago?

We as taxpayers are now financing Cogeco to produce an unprofitable traffic station, and to "make room" for it they closed the most popular (but less profitable) station on the AM dial.

Not The One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:04 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
Calm down people.

Best news out of this is that with Mike Newtown burning bridges with TVA and RC, it's pretty much over for him.
Villeneuve, Filosa and Fournier are keeping their jobs

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Sthabs

The only good news out of this IMO is that it might means that hopefully some day at RDS we could have Martin and Dany, and the chances are slim .....
I ve been listening to ckac and team 990 for years, they both have good and bad shows, I loved listening to ckac especially when they were having Mcguire at 11.45 on the morning and at 4 o clock with the practice news and what not, (like somebody else said) or other shows like les finances et le sport, which always was very interesting and full of info, or some interview in the morning, they had a lot of great guests (obviously with some borings one as well ) with excellent info, like the one with the guy that did the stadium, if anyone know what I m talking about, they know that this interview was just pure gold (a link for ppl that can read french http://www.stadeolympiquemontreal.ca/ to get some truth about the big owe and why it became that) . and a lot more .

Both stations had high and lows, I guess ckac had higher highs than team 990, to me anyway, but lower lows as well..but then u just switch....
Sure there was alot of morons calling , same thing on team 990 tho, but you take some u leave some, and seeing that station leave is sad news to me.

We ll see what s that 2012 one...

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

Please tell me that 9 M subsidy is over many years (like 10+) and not every single year...because that government $ should be going in, you know, the actual fixing of the roads.

Old
09-02-2011, 11:38 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:

So you're happy because people lose their jobs?

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Bulldozer

Quote:
Please tell me that 9 M subsidy is over many years (like 10+) and not every single year...because that government $ should be going in, you know, the actual fixing of the roads.
Yeah, probably like 9M for 10years to pay only one employee to check the webcams of MTQ, to talk on air & to put music on... Wow! + they will be probably put on some pub to get more $$$$.

No wonder why COGECO is high on this contract!

ps: Instead of this crap: couldn't they pay a university radio to transmit this kind of **** & finance the same school by offering them a fraction of the original subvention? Do you need any kind of degree to call traffic, cuz they would be at the good place to have some...