HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Pre-preseason discussion (Informal Skates, etc) - Kreider Skates w/ Rangers

Old
09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
When I think of a guy who's hands couldn't keep up with his skates, Lisin pops to mind. He would lose the puck a lot trying to do things with it. He had decent hands, but just tried to push it a little too much

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

RangerBoy, didn't you say they would be posting video of Kreider skating today?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:16 AM
GAGLine

Don't see a video, but there is an article here:

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/69...h-the-big-boys

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Kreider is a guy who has incredible speed and hands that can keep up. He has very nice hands especially for a guy that big. I am really excited and I still think that he is going to be a first line player in the NHL

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Cerny mentioned he would try to get video of today's informal.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:27 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Don't see a video, but there is an article here:

It's all about the team when it comes to Kreider, who helped BC win the NCAA National Championship as a freshman and was a member of Team USA's gold and bronze medal winning teams at the 2010 and 2011 World Junior Championships.

"I haven't set individual goals, to be honest, I just want to win games," said Kreider. "If I focus on that, everything else will fall into place. My only goal is to play at a level that will help us win games."
This is the trait i like the most about Kreider.

He "gets it". And that's why he will be a stand out player for the Rangers.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Is there evidence that Kreider has hands? This is my biggest concern. In his highlight real, he doesn't really show quick hands and most of his goals are driving to the net. Which isn't bad, but it'll be much tougher trying to score and drive to the net against a guy like Brooks Orpik instead of some 17 year old Swedish defender. A Kreider comparable player would be Penner IMO, but Kreider is faster while Penner focuses entirely on cycling.

If his hands don't keep up, we could be dealing with another Enver Lisn.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Is there evidence that Kreider has hands? This is my biggest concern. In his highlight real, he doesn't really show quick hands and most of his goals are driving to the net. Which isn't bad, but it'll be much tougher trying to score and drive to the net against a guy like Brooks Orpik instead of some 17 year old Swedish defender. A Kreider comparable player would be Penner IMO, but Kreider is faster while Penner focuses entirely on cycling.

Is there evidence that he has hands?

Watch him play, that's the evidence...

Old
09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Old
09-02-2011, 10:40 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:

were i you, i would consider running as fast as you can the other way... you are in very dangerous territory using language like that

damn, and just when i was feeling fully healed too.... now his name is mentioned and i feel woozy....

this should be fun

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
omg the ending is classic! especially because it was after beating Canada. No offense Canadians on this board, but you get my point, me being American. WE JUST KICKED YOUR ****ING ASS

Old
09-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Is there evidence that he has hands?

Watch him play, that's the evidence...
Hence the mention of highlight reel and WJ games. Didn't really control pace of the game. He had great bursts of speed however.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Awesome find.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
GAGLine

Quote:

Lisin's problem was never his hands, it was his head. Kreider is a bigger, faster version of Callahan. Everyone loves to say that Callahan has hands of stone too, but he'll score 30 goals if he stays healthy.

Matt Cullen, when he was here, was a guy whose hands couldn't keep up with his feet. He could skate fast, but he couldn't play the game at that speed. I don't see Kreider having the same problem.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
were i you, i would consider running as fast as you can the other way... you are in very dangerous territory using language like that

damn, and just when i was feeling fully healed too.... now his name is mentioned and i feel woozy....

this should be fun
I'm gonna go search for the thread of the Lisn trade, I'm sure many of us were memorized by his size and speed.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Hence the mention of highlight reel and WJ games. Didn't really control pace of the game. He had great bursts of speed however.
He's a north-south player with great speed. the hands are there, it is not his job to be skating into the zone and dominating the play, that is the playmakers job.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:49 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Hate to come totally down on the other side of this discussion and knowing that I am going to be flamed....

But,

I can't believe that many of you would criticize someone for returning to college so he can attain his degree. Kreider is obviously a very intelligent young man who enjoys school, the college experience, and learning. He obviously has "a life of the mind" beyond hockey.

He certainly is a young man who can keep his priorities straight. He knows that the will have a lucrative hockey career that will set him up monetarily for the rest of his life but also knows that he will have a long life after his hockey career ends. Though he has likely thought about the fact that he might be injured and could always go back to get his degree later (hey, my wife got her doctorate well into her 50s), he will only be a young man of college age once. College is not only about preparing for a career but becoming a well-rounded, thinking, and involved individual and citizen.

So, I say, more power to him. So many of you only look at this selfishly: what can and individual who might as well be a stick figure in a video game do to make my life happier.

I am certainly looking forward to the day when Kreider is a Ranger player: I have high hopes for him. But I can certainly wait another year while this intelligent young man, in control of his own destiny, enriches his mind and life. I hate to say it because I am as passionate about hockey as anyone, but it is, after all, only hockey and it is his life.
Very good post. I will reiterate though that for selfish reasons I was looking forward to Kreider signing over the summer. He of course had a different idea and it is his life.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Lisin's problem was never his hands, it was his head. Kreider is a bigger, faster version of Callahan. Everyone loves to say that Callahan has hands of stone too, but he'll score 30 goals if he stays healthy.

Matt Cullen, when he was here, was a guy whose hands couldn't keep up with his feet. He could skate fast, but he couldn't play the game at that speed. I don't see Kreider having the same problem.
Lisn was probably the worst player I've seen play for the Rangers and that's quite an accomplishment since we've seen some pretty bad players. He absolutely had no hands, the play always dies on his stick. Maybe it was a confidence issue.

Woah! Don't pencil in Kreider as a future bigger, faster Callahan! Way to premature. Especially for a player who hasn't even stepped into pro hockey yet.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
He's a north-south player with great speed. the hands are there, it is not his job to be skating into the zone and dominating the play, that is the playmakers job.
I don't see it, but I'll take your word for it since you've probably seen him play more than me.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Levitate

Quote:
He's not the kind of player that's going to control the pace of the game...he's not a puck possession guy, and he doesn't need to be one.

My evidence is only that when I've seen him play, I haven't seen him have trouble with the puck, but he just doesn't hang on the puck and try to control things with it, he moves it on or takes a shot, which is fine.

More important will be whether he can find space to get his shot off at the pro level, and whether his decision making will be good enough to allow him to use his speed consistently, etc. Worrying about whether he's controlling the pace of the game is the wrong thing to worry about with Kreider IMO.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
I don't see it, but I'll take your word for it since you've probably seen him play more than me.
I've watched every WJC game that he has played in and it is a joy to watch him. I've also been to a few BC games. The kid is a stud.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:56 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Lisn was probably the worst player I've seen play for the Rangers and that's quite an accomplishment since we've seen some pretty bad players. He absolutely had no hands, the play always dies on his stick. Maybe it was a confidence issue.

Woah! Don't pencil in Kreider as a future bigger, faster Callahan! Way to premature. Especially for a player who hasn't even stepped into pro hockey yet.
I'm not making any judgement on the success Kreider will have, just his style of play. Callahan isn't a dangler, he doesn't carry the puck like Dubi does. He's a shooter first. He gets his goals through hard work and by always being around the net.

Kreider plays the same way. I don't know if his motor will quite as high, but he's a hard worker. And he is bigger and faster than Callahan.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I've watched every WJC game that he has played in and it is a joy to watch him. I've also been to a few BC games. The kid is a stud.
I have too.

The point is the transition from WJ games is too small of a sample size to judge the future development of players. Stamkos played like crap there and today he's the best goal scorer in the league. Playing well for a stretch of 5-7 games isn't that impressive as opposed to playing well in a whole season in their respective leagues.

I just think the Kreider hype has to tone down. He isn't a shoe-in NHLer. He still has a long way to go.

Old
09-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Levitate

Quote:
I'm not making any judgement on the success Kreider will have, just his style of play. Callahan isn't a dangler, he doesn't carry the puck like Dubi does. He's a shooter first. He gets his goals through hard work and by always being around the net.

Kreider plays the same way. I don't know if his motor will quite as high, but he's a hard worker. And he is bigger and faster than Callahan.
Yeah, Callahan isn't a bad comparison, though Callahan's hands have gotten better I think.

Old
09-02-2011, 11:01 AM
haveandare

I love the that article on BU. Can't wait to get this guy on the Rangers - he's going to be special.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote