HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Pre-preseason discussion (Informal Skates, etc) - Kreider Skates w/ Rangers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
  #101
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,433
vCash: 500
When I think of a guy who's hands couldn't keep up with his skates, Lisin pops to mind. He would lose the puck a lot trying to do things with it. He had decent hands, but just tried to push it a little too much

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:51 AM
  #102
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
RangerBoy, didn't you say they would be posting video of Kreider skating today?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:16 AM
  #103
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,041
vCash: 500
Don't see a video, but there is an article here:

http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/69...h-the-big-boys

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:18 AM
  #104
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 9,198
vCash: 116
Kreider is a guy who has incredible speed and hands that can keep up. He has very nice hands especially for a guy that big. I am really excited and I still think that he is going to be a first line player in the NHL

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:19 AM
  #105
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Cerny mentioned he would try to get video of today's informal.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:27 AM
  #106
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Don't see a video, but there is an article here:

It's all about the team when it comes to Kreider, who helped BC win the NCAA National Championship as a freshman and was a member of Team USA's gold and bronze medal winning teams at the 2010 and 2011 World Junior Championships.

"I haven't set individual goals, to be honest, I just want to win games," said Kreider. "If I focus on that, everything else will fall into place. My only goal is to play at a level that will help us win games."
This is the trait i like the most about Kreider.

He "gets it". And that's why he will be a stand out player for the Rangers.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:36 AM
  #107
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Is there evidence that Kreider has hands? This is my biggest concern. In his highlight real, he doesn't really show quick hands and most of his goals are driving to the net. Which isn't bad, but it'll be much tougher trying to score and drive to the net against a guy like Brooks Orpik instead of some 17 year old Swedish defender. A Kreider comparable player would be Penner IMO, but Kreider is faster while Penner focuses entirely on cycling.

If his hands don't keep up, we could be dealing with another Enver Lisn.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
  #108
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Is there evidence that Kreider has hands? This is my biggest concern. In his highlight real, he doesn't really show quick hands and most of his goals are driving to the net. Which isn't bad, but it'll be much tougher trying to score and drive to the net against a guy like Brooks Orpik instead of some 17 year old Swedish defender. A Kreider comparable player would be Penner IMO, but Kreider is faster while Penner focuses entirely on cycling.

If his hands don't keep up, we could be dealing with another Enver Lisn.
Is there evidence that he has hands?

Watch him play, that's the evidence...

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:38 AM
  #109
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:40 AM
  #110
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Is there evidence that Kreider has hands? This is my biggest concern. In his highlight real, he doesn't really show quick hands and most of his goals are driving to the net. Which isn't bad, but it'll be much tougher trying to score and drive to the net against a guy like Brooks Orpik instead of some 17 year old Swedish defender. A Kreider comparable player would be Penner IMO, but Kreider is faster while Penner focuses entirely on cycling.

If his hands don't keep up, we could be dealing with another Enver Lisn.
were i you, i would consider running as fast as you can the other way... you are in very dangerous territory using language like that

damn, and just when i was feeling fully healed too.... now his name is mentioned and i feel woozy....

this should be fun

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:43 AM
  #111
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
omg the ending is classic! especially because it was after beating Canada. No offense Canadians on this board, but you get my point, me being American. WE JUST KICKED YOUR ****ING ASS

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:43 AM
  #112
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Is there evidence that he has hands?

Watch him play, that's the evidence...
Hence the mention of highlight reel and WJ games. Didn't really control pace of the game. He had great bursts of speed however.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
  #113
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Awesome find.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
  #114
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Is there evidence that Kreider has hands? This is my biggest concern. In his highlight real, he doesn't really show quick hands and most of his goals are driving to the net. Which isn't bad, but it'll be much tougher trying to score and drive to the net against a guy like Brooks Orpik instead of some 17 year old Swedish defender. A Kreider comparable player would be Penner IMO, but Kreider is faster while Penner focuses entirely on cycling.

If his hands don't keep up, we could be dealing with another Enver Lisn.
Lisin's problem was never his hands, it was his head. Kreider is a bigger, faster version of Callahan. Everyone loves to say that Callahan has hands of stone too, but he'll score 30 goals if he stays healthy.

Matt Cullen, when he was here, was a guy whose hands couldn't keep up with his feet. He could skate fast, but he couldn't play the game at that speed. I don't see Kreider having the same problem.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:45 AM
  #115
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
were i you, i would consider running as fast as you can the other way... you are in very dangerous territory using language like that

damn, and just when i was feeling fully healed too.... now his name is mentioned and i feel woozy....

this should be fun
I'm gonna go search for the thread of the Lisn trade, I'm sure many of us were memorized by his size and speed.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:46 AM
  #116
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Hence the mention of highlight reel and WJ games. Didn't really control pace of the game. He had great bursts of speed however.
He's a north-south player with great speed. the hands are there, it is not his job to be skating into the zone and dominating the play, that is the playmakers job.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:49 AM
  #117
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Hate to come totally down on the other side of this discussion and knowing that I am going to be flamed....

But,

I can't believe that many of you would criticize someone for returning to college so he can attain his degree. Kreider is obviously a very intelligent young man who enjoys school, the college experience, and learning. He obviously has "a life of the mind" beyond hockey.

He certainly is a young man who can keep his priorities straight. He knows that the will have a lucrative hockey career that will set him up monetarily for the rest of his life but also knows that he will have a long life after his hockey career ends. Though he has likely thought about the fact that he might be injured and could always go back to get his degree later (hey, my wife got her doctorate well into her 50s), he will only be a young man of college age once. College is not only about preparing for a career but becoming a well-rounded, thinking, and involved individual and citizen.

So, I say, more power to him. So many of you only look at this selfishly: what can and individual who might as well be a stick figure in a video game do to make my life happier.

I am certainly looking forward to the day when Kreider is a Ranger player: I have high hopes for him. But I can certainly wait another year while this intelligent young man, in control of his own destiny, enriches his mind and life. I hate to say it because I am as passionate about hockey as anyone, but it is, after all, only hockey and it is his life.
Very good post. I will reiterate though that for selfish reasons I was looking forward to Kreider signing over the summer. He of course had a different idea and it is his life.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:50 AM
  #118
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Lisin's problem was never his hands, it was his head. Kreider is a bigger, faster version of Callahan. Everyone loves to say that Callahan has hands of stone too, but he'll score 30 goals if he stays healthy.

Matt Cullen, when he was here, was a guy whose hands couldn't keep up with his feet. He could skate fast, but he couldn't play the game at that speed. I don't see Kreider having the same problem.
Lisn was probably the worst player I've seen play for the Rangers and that's quite an accomplishment since we've seen some pretty bad players. He absolutely had no hands, the play always dies on his stick. Maybe it was a confidence issue.

Woah! Don't pencil in Kreider as a future bigger, faster Callahan! Way to premature. Especially for a player who hasn't even stepped into pro hockey yet.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:51 AM
  #119
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
He's a north-south player with great speed. the hands are there, it is not his job to be skating into the zone and dominating the play, that is the playmakers job.
I don't see it, but I'll take your word for it since you've probably seen him play more than me.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
  #120
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Hence the mention of highlight reel and WJ games. Didn't really control pace of the game. He had great bursts of speed however.
He's not the kind of player that's going to control the pace of the game...he's not a puck possession guy, and he doesn't need to be one.

My evidence is only that when I've seen him play, I haven't seen him have trouble with the puck, but he just doesn't hang on the puck and try to control things with it, he moves it on or takes a shot, which is fine.

More important will be whether he can find space to get his shot off at the pro level, and whether his decision making will be good enough to allow him to use his speed consistently, etc. Worrying about whether he's controlling the pace of the game is the wrong thing to worry about with Kreider IMO.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:52 AM
  #121
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I don't see it, but I'll take your word for it since you've probably seen him play more than me.
I've watched every WJC game that he has played in and it is a joy to watch him. I've also been to a few BC games. The kid is a stud.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:56 AM
  #122
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Lisn was probably the worst player I've seen play for the Rangers and that's quite an accomplishment since we've seen some pretty bad players. He absolutely had no hands, the play always dies on his stick. Maybe it was a confidence issue.

Woah! Don't pencil in Kreider as a future bigger, faster Callahan! Way to premature. Especially for a player who hasn't even stepped into pro hockey yet.
I'm not making any judgement on the success Kreider will have, just his style of play. Callahan isn't a dangler, he doesn't carry the puck like Dubi does. He's a shooter first. He gets his goals through hard work and by always being around the net.

Kreider plays the same way. I don't know if his motor will quite as high, but he's a hard worker. And he is bigger and faster than Callahan.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:56 AM
  #123
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I've watched every WJC game that he has played in and it is a joy to watch him. I've also been to a few BC games. The kid is a stud.
I have too.

The point is the transition from WJ games is too small of a sample size to judge the future development of players. Stamkos played like crap there and today he's the best goal scorer in the league. Playing well for a stretch of 5-7 games isn't that impressive as opposed to playing well in a whole season in their respective leagues.

I just think the Kreider hype has to tone down. He isn't a shoe-in NHLer. He still has a long way to go.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:59 AM
  #124
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,433
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm not making any judgement on the success Kreider will have, just his style of play. Callahan isn't a dangler, he doesn't carry the puck like Dubi does. He's a shooter first. He gets his goals through hard work and by always being around the net.

Kreider plays the same way. I don't know if his motor will quite as high, but he's a hard worker. And he is bigger and faster than Callahan.
Yeah, Callahan isn't a bad comparison, though Callahan's hands have gotten better I think.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:01 AM
  #125
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,736
vCash: 500
I love the that article on BU. Can't wait to get this guy on the Rangers - he's going to be special.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.