HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ex-Leafs enforcer Belak found dead

Old
09-01-2011, 12:49 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfoppa21 View Post
Have you ever been depressed? I was fortunate to meet wade and its just another assumption and when it comes to a persons mortality we dont have the right unless your affected by the situation to comment on it. Whats your hockey memories of belak focus on that
Credible news sources are reporting it as such. I think you're missing the mark a bit: people with depression issues don't always display them outwardly all the time, some rarely do at all. No one was making negative judgments about the guy, just acknowledging how complex the condition can be.

Beyond that though, this is a very sad stretch. I'd like for someone to write it up, a nice full story on the man's life, because he seemed to be a unique man. I hope his family the best, and that he's well remembered.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

Loved the Wade a Minute segments. Seemed like a really funny dude. Wish his family nothing but the best.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I'm beginning to think conspiracy. This is too weird.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:04 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Maybe not bigger, but as big of a problem as the league doing nothing about it, is that the players don't really do anything about it either.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:19 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Whatever the reason(s), the NHL and the NHLPA need to mutually address any issues that could be a cause. It shouldn't be singularly left to one body (the NHL, for example).

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:33 AM
MrHockey1982

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-More/45/37848

This blog says that Belak reportedly hung himself. Crazy.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I wonder if he was influenced by the other deaths this offseason. People who are very depressed can sometimes see other people commit suicide, and it can plant the seed in their mind to attempt that as a solution. The fact that the other player who died had a common link might have strengthened that influence, perhaps.

As an example, a few months ago there was a vehicle accident on the Bay Bridge that sent a pedestrian into the water. While the police were investigating, a car passing in the opposite direction suddenly stopped, the driver got out, and just hopped off the bridge. While the police were trying to fish him out and figure out what was happening, yet another motorist stopped his car and did the same thing. All of this happened within an hour and a half time span.

09-01-2011, 12:07 PM
kicksave27

Thats even more shocking than him never playing for the flyers, he was definitely a homer type guy.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 01:40 PM
MrHockey1982

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...140/story.html

Another article confirming suicide.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 03:31 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

So it begins the people are using a tragic death to get their rating...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richa...-Mad/131/37861
I absolutely hate it when people manipulate situations to further their own agendas. Only a few minutes ago, I was driving home from hospital, and was listening to Oilers Now! Today's first guests? Former NHL Enforcers Georges Laraque and Brantt Myhers. The discussion? The need to do something about fighting in hockey because of the psychological and mental toll it takes on the players. Of course, the interview started with a commentary indicating there is some sort of correlation between the death of Belak and the experiences of today's guests. What a load of bollocks.

This is going to be blowin into a big thing over the next few months..

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 05:51 PM
TheGudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
So it begins the people are using a tragic death to get their rating...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richa...-Mad/131/37861
I absolutely hate it when people manipulate situations to further their own agendas. Only a few minutes ago, I was driving home from hospital, and was listening to Oilers Now! Today's first guests? Former NHL Enforcers Georges Laraque and Brantt Myhers. The discussion? The need to do something about fighting in hockey because of the psychological and mental toll it takes on the players. Of course, the interview started with a commentary indicating there is some sort of correlation between the death of Belak and the experiences of today's guests. What a load of bollocks.

This is going to be blowin into a big thing over the next few months..
Hey, Oiler fan here, was checking out your thread on this to see if anyone mentioned the article released earlier yesterday about Todd Fedoruk (from the same small AB town). I also listened to the interview Stauffer had with Laraque and Myhers, and did not get the sense they were going after ratings. If he argues that, than Cloutier is going after ratings himself with his article. People want to know what the hell is going on with these fighters this offseason no? Laraque and Myhers provided a unique insight into that. Myhers especially was very candid regarding his substance abuse to deal with the anxiety and fear, I recommend listening to the interview on 630 ched's website http://www.630ched.com/Podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2254 They made the point to say that each death was different, but the common theme is clear, they were all fighters. They were very respectful and it was refreshing to hear the truth about what some of these guys go through.

Cloutier says that Myhers is using this as an oppurtunity to forward his agenda in getting fighting out of the game, that is total BS if you listen to the actual interview.

Cloutier goes on to say that the fighting link takes away from the problem of mental health and suicide, that the solution is we need to "talk" and "encourage them to seek help" about it. Well, Rypien spoke up and sought help, repeatedly, and it was not enough. Cloutier thinks we just have to sit in a circle and hold hands and talk everything through, well that's bollocks.

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I wonder if he was influenced by the other deaths this offseason. People who are very depressed can sometimes see other people commit suicide, and it can plant the seed in their mind to attempt that as a solution. The fact that the other player who died had a common link might have strengthened that influence, perhaps.

As an example, a few months ago there was a vehicle accident on the Bay Bridge that sent a pedestrian into the water. While the police were investigating, a car passing in the opposite direction suddenly stopped, the driver got out, and just hopped off the bridge. While the police were trying to fish him out and figure out what was happening, yet another motorist stopped his car and did the same thing. All of this happened within an hour and a half time span.
When I heard he hung himself I wondered as well since Rypien did too. This situation with Belak is really troubling because he seemed happy, he was starting to train for Battle of the Blades and doing some work with the Preds. Joey Vendetta who is filling in on The Fan 590 this week knows him and ran into him the night before he died and said everything seemed normal.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
When I heard he hung himself I wondered as well since Rypien did too. This situation with Belak is really troubling because he seemed happy, he was starting to train for Battle of the Blades and doing some work with the Preds. Joey Vendetta who is filling in on The Fan 590 this week knows him and ran into him the night before he died and said everything seemed normal.
A lot of people battling with depression are very capable of hiding it from others. I've known a couple people like that..they seem perfectly ok right until they aren't. It's always pretty disconcerting.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 09:34 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

The thing most disturbing about this is that it takes quite a bit of time and thought to hang yourself, and yet he still did it instead of thinking about getting help for the sake of his wife and kids.

So either he only cared about himself (which doesn't seem to be the case), depression that he was suppressing attacked him full force and basically took over his mind, or he did it by accident (David Carradine).

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:58 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Sounds awfully similar to what I said about him in my post about his twitter.

But hey, twitter is just words, right?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:09 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

It appears the NHL officials are going to be aggressive in finding out a way to stop this from happening. Unfortunate it took 3 deaths for it to happen though...

Hopefully they follow though.

Old
09-02-2011, 11:29 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
After this I am going to go out on a limb and say we can kiss fighting goodbye for the 2012-2013 season.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I doubt it. There's no connection between fighting and suicide, otherwise MMA fighters and boxers would be dropping dead left and right.

Old
09-02-2011, 11:41 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Sounds awfully similar to what I said about him in my post about his twitter.

But hey, twitter is just words, right?
Words on twitter to the general population are quite different compared to a face to face meeting with a personal friend.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:13 PM
kicksave27

Quote:
I doubt it. There's no connection between fighting and suicide, otherwise MMA fighters and boxers would be dropping dead left and right.
THIS

though bettman would probably start some crusade to end fighting.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:26 PM
mirimon

Quote:
I think the focus will land more on the use of painkillers and such, in order to get back in game shape as quickly as possible. I don't know much about boxing or mma, but I think that they have quite longer time between their fights compared to the enforcers in the NHL and therefor might not use quite as much of these.

Maybe there will be some sort of rule instigated that if you are involved in a fight you are automatically side lined for a week or something like that.

I know that there was a bit of debate here in Sweden in the late 90's, early 00's about how there were stricter rules in (amateur, that is Olympic) boxing regarding concussions than there were in hockey. In hockey you could simply just continue playing, in boxing you were forced to wait for a stipulated time before the next fight (can't remember the exact length).

I hope they don't go overboard with some knee jerk reaction to fighting, but at the same time I really could do without the staged fighting that is part of todays NHL.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I think the focus will land more on the use of painkillers and such, in order to get back in game shape as quickly as possible. I don't know much about boxing or mma, but I think that they have quite longer time between their fights compared to the enforcers in the NHL and therefor might not use quite as much of these.

Maybe there will be some sort of rule instigated that if you are involved in a fight you are automatically side lined for a week or something like that.

I know that there was a bit of debate here in Sweden in the late 90's, early 00's about how there were stricter rules in (amateur, that is Olympic) boxing regarding concussions than there were in hockey. In hockey you could simply just continue playing, in boxing you were forced to wait for a stipulated time before the next fight (can't remember the exact length).

I hope they don't go overboard with some knee jerk reaction to fighting, but at the same time I really could do without the staged fighting that is part of todays NHL.
Boxers and MMA guys are taking a lot more punches to the head because they spar a lot. There's padding involved and it's not as intense, but it's still a bunch of blows to the head...it's not like the aren't fighting at all between matches.

Old
09-02-2011, 12:51 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Boxers and MMA guys are taking a lot more punches to the head because they spar a lot. There's padding involved and it's not as intense, but it's still a bunch of blows to the head...it's not like the aren't fighting at all between matches.
That is true, and that is also one other reason to look at other aspects than fighting in itself for the recent deaths.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
That is true, and that is also one other reason to look at other aspects than fighting in itself for the recent deaths.
Yeah, my concern isn't with fighting. It's with teaching these guys how to deal with the sudden and drastic change in lifestyle they'll experience when they stop being NHL players.

Old
09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Besides the use of pain pills, I'm not so sure the physical effects of fighting have anything to do with the recent deaths. I'm leaning more towards the mental side, even going back as far as their junior/college days, when most of these guys were skill players, and had to adjust to a new job just to stay in the NHL.