HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ex-Leafs enforcer Belak found dead

Old
09-02-2011, 01:57 PM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, my concern isn't with fighting. It's with teaching these guys how to deal with the sudden and drastic change in lifestyle they'll experience when they stop being NHL players.
That could be a concern, but on the other hand these three players didn't really have that particular problem however, did they? Boogaard was still under contract with NYR, Rypien had a contract with Winnipeg and Belak, while having retired, would still remain within the Predators organization in some role I believe (I forget which one).

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
That could be a concern, but on the other hand these three players didn't really have that particular problem however, did they? Boogaard was still under contract with NYR, Rypien had a contract with Winnipeg and Belak, while having retired, would still remain within the Predators organization in some role I believe (I forget which one).
Good points.

09-02-2011, 02:23 PM
mirimon

Your point is still valid though.

If a person is battling with severe depression issues (like Rypien apparently did), losing his footing in everyday life is not a small matter. Even if Rypien had a new contract his place on the team was far from secure, and also it might have meant a lot for him having to relocate from Vancouver (this is of course speculation only).

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
Frankly, amidst this sad and confusing time I once again count my blessings that I'm a lifelong fan of this organization. We can squabble about moves made and not made by the front office but one thing that is without criticism is the class and lifelong bond this organization extends to its current players and alumni.

Behind the scenes and away from the headlines, the Flyers are known throughout the league as a classy organization that takes care of it's own. Starting with Ed Snider and blossoming through Clarkie's tenure, the Flyers turned their backs on no one and prepared retiring players for their post hockey playing days like no other.

People always ask me how is it possible that a guy from Montreal whose Father was in the Bruins System can possibly be a Flyers Fan?

Well it's easy, in my lifetime I'm confident that despite the countless tough guys that fill our rosters, none of them will take their own lives on account of feeling alone in this world or not having a sense of purpose when their skates are hung up for the final time. Once a Flyer, always a Flyer.

Last edited by Yukon Cornelius: 09-02-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:02 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
Frankly, amidst this sad and confusing time I once again count my blessings that I'm a lifelong fan of this organization. We can squabble about moves made and not made by the front office but one thing that is without criticism is the class and lifelong bond this organization extends to its current players and alumni.

Behind the scenes and away from the headlines, the Flyers are known throughout the league as a classy organization that takes care of it's own. Starting with Ed Snider and blossoming through Clarkie's tenure, the Flyers turned their backs on no one and prepared retiring players for their post hockey playing days like no other.

People always ask me how is it possible that a guy from Montreal whose Father was in the Bruins System can possibly be a Flyers Fan?

Well it's easy, in my lifetime I'm confident that despite the countless tough guys that fill our rosters, none of them will take their own lives on account of feeling alone in this world or not having a sense of purpose when their skates are hung up for the final time. Once a Flyer, always a Flyer.
This is true, look at the situation going on with Fedoruk right now. He's signed to another team, coming off stints with 2 or 3 other teams since the Flyers, and they let him us their ice with their players. I hope the same will happen with the likes of Gagne, Boucher, etc. once they reach the end of their careers.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post

What is about the great Lindros. I never heard any good about him on these board or in the TV shows. They always speak about other players. Or what is about Desjardins who is one of the best ever players in the Flyers uniform. I never ever heard someone mentioned their name. I always see Therien in the tv or they speak about Roenick, Brindamour or Jonesy ^^... I think a large franchise like the flyers are, canīt be near every player who was in the organisation sometime. So it is too much if every player ask for help his whole life, because he has eventually mental issues. I work in real life with people who suffered depression, or personal illnes (donīt know how to name it) and it a very complex and long story. And no one can be sure to get healthy again. Its a bit of everything and there is not a 100 % solution. So how can the organization help them....?

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 05:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
This link was posted on CSN.

http://news.menshealth.com/the-nhl%e...er/2011/09/02/

Quote:
Yesterday brought the tragic news that Wade Belak, a 35-year-old defenseman who formerly played for the NHL’s Nashville Predators, died of an apparent suicide. Belak’s death, incredibly, is the third this offseason for the NHL. Last week, Rick Rypien, a 27-year-old enforcer for the Vancouver Canucks, was found dead in his Alberta apartment, and last May, New York Rangers’ forward Derek Boogaard, 28, long considered to be among the league’s most fearsome fighters, died of an accidental drug overdose after mixing alcohol with Oxycodone.

The three deaths have renewed interest in the role that enforcers play in the NHL—and the long-term consequences, particularly to an athlete’s mental health, that may result from repeated trauma to the head over the course of a grueling, 82-game schedule.

Among the former athletes who spoke up was 28-year-old former Philadelphia Flyers’ enforcer Riley Cote, currently an assistant coach with the AHL’s Adirondack Phantoms, who recently retired from the NHL after four seasons. In that span, Cote consistently finished among the team’s leaders in penalty minutes and fights. He talked to Men’s Health about the risks of the job, and what eventually drove him to give it up.
Part of the Q and A:

Quote:
In light of these tragedies, some critics have renewed their calls to get fighting out of the game for good.

That’s complete bull. The fact is, most tough guys who’ve played the game—minus Bob Probert—are still alive. Fighting’s what separates hockey from every other sport. It means instant accountability, despite the stupid instigator rule. If you screw around, we solve this the old-school way. When you take fighting out, you pretty much have soccer on ice. There are guys flying at top speed, cheap shots everywhere, and the tough guys are suddenly the rats—your Patrick Kaletas, Matt Cookes, Sean Averys—who get suspended over and over. And when a tough guy goes over to them, they turtle, and you wind up with a fighting major, an instigator, and a game misconduct for going after him.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote