HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

How good of a fighter is John Erskine? Where do you rank him?

Old
09-02-2011, 01:55 PM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
How good of a fighter is John Erskine? Where do you rank him?

I've been pondering this. Unlike most true heavy weights Johnny Rockstar gets a regular shift and important minutes. Therefore since he isn't specialized or pigeonholed as an "enforcer" I don't think he gets the recognition he deserves for his fighting.

The guy is a very entertaining fighter and really can take on anyone in my book. I wonder where he ranks as of this moment (RIP Belak and Boogey man btw)

I think top 10 personally. My bias would put him in the top 5 however.

Edit: dropyourgloves.com has him at a career record of 26-15-24 in what they deem "fair fights"

Not bad and his fights, like Stephen Peats were, are fun to watch!

Last edited by BobRouse: 09-02-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Additional info
BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:45 PM
HTFN

I just know that Erskine's fight against Thorburn was one of the best of last year.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:56 PM
txpd

Erskine is a 3rd tier fighter. He is willing to go with the top tier, but its ugly when it happens. I believe both of his concussions were a result of that. He can hold his own with a 2nd tier fighter enough give some punishment but rarely as much as he gives.

What he is great at is keeping the avery's and hartnell's honest. them he can hurt every time and they know it

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 03:01 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Erskine is a 3rd tier fighter. He is willing to go with the top tier, but its ugly when it happens. I believe both of his concussions were a result of that. He can hold his own with a 2nd tier fighter enough give some punishment but rarely as much as he gives.

What he is great at is keeping the avery's and hartnell's honest. them he can hurt every time and they know it
I thought you said "Erskine is a 3rd beer fighter" and was thinking "yup, that's about right"... whatever that would even mean, I don't know...

Friday before a holiday weekend in the middle of hockey dead time and I don't even have a game myself this weekend to distract me. aorhgoiaegoaeijoaietpojoixllksm.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:24 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Meh...he's tough/game enough to go with anyone (and that's what I love most), but he's not that great at the actual fighting part.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:30 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Erskine's a fringe-heavyweight to me. I think he'd be a legit heavyweight if not for his concussion history.

Look at his fight card as a Cap:

Andrew Peters - L
Milan Lucic - W
Wade Brookbank - D
Eric Godard - L
Eric Boulton - W
Wade Belak - D
Joel Rechlicz - W
Shawn Thornton - L
Georges Laraque - W
David Koci - L
Chris Thorburn - W
Milan Lucic - D
Eric Boulton - D
Ryan Malone - W
Mike Rupp - W
Andy Sutton - W
Jared Boll - W

9-4-4 against a pretty good selection of fighters, with a 4 fight winning streak.

He was a much better fighter than King last year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Atlas

Very good fighter. He doesnt hesitate. He throws bombs. He's strong as an ox. He picks his spots well.

Btw, now Belak killed himself? What is going on? Boogaard, Rypien, Belak and Mike Flanagan all gone at way too young an age. This is even more telling of our cultural Depression than the bad financial news. It's a spiritual problem--I don't mean religion. What a shame to lose these guys.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
I dont watch other teams fighters enough to grade him relative to other fighters. Belak concussed him IIRC. Boogaard passing moves most up a notch. King did rough up Boogaard otherwise I think Erskine is a better fighter than King, who looks like a LB on skates, like Jay Caufield. My favorite Erskine fight was when he knocked Lucic down to earth by popping him on his big beak.

I do like the wild haired John Erskine look, missing fronts of course. I think he scared the more timid players. Of course, he would run at them and get his leg out if he missed. He has cleaned up his game and just semi boards guys now. And gets away with it somehow.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 09-02-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: couldnt find a good picture of the unkempt look
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Erskine's a fringe-heavyweight to me. I think he'd be a legit heavyweight if not for his concussion history.

Look at his fight card as a Cap:

Andrew Peters - L
Milan Lucic - W
Wade Brookbank - D
Eric Godard - L
Eric Boulton - W
Wade Belak - D
Joel Rechlicz - W
Shawn Thornton - L
Georges Laraque - W
David Koci - L
Chris Thorburn - W
Milan Lucic - D
Eric Boulton - D
Ryan Malone - W
Mike Rupp - W
Andy Sutton - W
Jared Boll - W

9-4-4 against a pretty good selection of fighters, with a 4 fight winning streak.

He was a much better fighter than King last year.
Hmmmm....assuming this scorecard is right, he apparently does better than memory serves...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote