HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

van/nyI

Old
09-02-2011, 09:40 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Patrick O'Sullivan went from a useful Top 6 forward, with upside, to a guy who can't make it back in the league in a year and a half. Ballard has never been a positive contributor to a winning team, and he's never got it done in the playoffs.
O'Sullivan put up those numbers (top six) once and he becomes a "useful top 6 forward"? Both haven't been positive contributors to a "winning team" but at least Ballard has played top four minutes on those types of teams for several years.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
OhNoItsComeau57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsbeaver View Post
any counter offer, or just no?
I would give you a 3rd. Maybe.

Ballard is not a BAD player, but seriously underperformed last year and was benched in the playoffs by a cup contender. When he did play due to injury, he got smacked around. Combined with the fact that he has a big deal for 4 more years there is NO WAY I would give a pick AND a young player like bailey who has alot of talent.

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoItsComeau57 View Post
I would give you a 3rd. Maybe.

Ballard is not a BAD player, but seriously underperformed last year and was benched in the playoffs by a cup contender. When he did play due to injury, he got smacked around. Combined with the fact that he has a big deal for 4 more years there is NO WAY I would give a pick AND a young player like bailey who has alot of talent.
It's ok, the general consensus is that the Canucks will keep Ballard and see how he does next year. The only way he gets traded is if he's valued as a good commodity (top 4 d-man) by the other team, not a risk. Otherwise, we'll keep him. This isn't saying that your team should value him as a good commodity but it really does settle the matter.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:26 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Mars View Post
I agree with analysis of Raymond. But to say it was Vancouvers best chanced at the cup really isn't accurate we lost Ehrhoff yes, but his production will be replaced with Edler playing the full year and the possible reemergence of Keith Ballard. If Vancouver can add a top 6 forward this year they'll have just as good a shoot at winning the cup this year. Also everyone knows Luongo isn't the most mentally sharp goalie in the league it really isn't anything new, I have full faith in Luongo and still consider him a top 5 goalie in the league.
It's not just the personnel or the names-on-pages. Teams need SOME luck (remain health, bounces at key times) just to get past the early rounds sometimes - regardless of how good they are. Raymond and Campoli know what I mean! As good as the Canucks are, getting into game 7 of the cup finals is impressive as hell, but being able to replicate that is much harder. Sometimes, the chemistry changes in trying to get "the final piece" doesn't exactly help you. Who would have thought that Chris Higgins ends up being more valuable than Keith Ballard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckLuck View Post
Refreshing to see fans of other teams be knowledgeable about a players deficiencies rather than just crapping all over a player like everyone else. Raymond is a strong skater, plays good defensively, works his tail off and has done exactly what has been asked of him thus far. He's going to continue to get better and better no doubt.

At this point no one knows if Grabner will be a better player than Raymond. Hard to speculate as both players play in completely different environments.

I think a lot of fans (Canuck fans included) are a bit pre-mature in writing Raymond off at this point, much like Ballard. I believe when it's all said and done that both Ballard and Raymond will be integral pieces to Vancouver's success.
Raymond is a good player, just not a great player. He's probably a better all-around player than Grabner was (hindsight notwithstanding) but I don't think either Raymond/Grabner makes VAN significantly better or worse. I have no problem with Raymond at all. He'll get more consistent as he gets older even though he won't ever be an elite player - still a solid NHL player though!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:49 PM
IslesNorway

Being benched for the entire playoffs and having a big and long contract to boot only hurts Ballards value. They'd be lucky to get a decent pick for him until he improves

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Ballard is a fairly proven commodity.

The playoffs certainly didn't raise his marketability. Everyone knows that. He's also getting a good chunk of change for a guy who saw players like Tanev get the nod ahead of him.

Like many here say, with Erhoff gone, Ballard should find himself getting a bit of a new role in Vancouver next season.

Nothing to see here...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote