HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

R.I.P. Wade Belak - (July 3rd, 1976 - August 31st, 2011)

Old
09-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

vCash: 500
I donated. Broke my heart to do so.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:06 PM
foppagirl21

I would love to donate to this worthy cause, but neither donation link is loading for me. Anyone able to solve this problem?

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Predatorbill

vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
I would love to donate to this worthy cause, but neither donation link is loading for me. Anyone able to solve this problem?
You have to put the amount in the check at the top of the page.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:26 PM
predfan98

donated. oh, his poor family.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 02:29 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
You have to put the amount in the check at the top of the page.
Thank you for the help.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:00 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
OK, with it being a holiday weekend, and apparently there were some issues getting the donor site to load, Im going to extend this offer of matched donations until next wednesday.

thanks to those who have donated so far.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:27 PM
PredsChik

The love and respect I have for Legwand just became greater.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/9...ute-wade-belak

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:49 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post

Sewing up the title of "Mr. PREDATOR", imo.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:31 AM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Quote:

Legs is all class. Very nice words.

I'm curious. How much airtime (tv/radio) is this getting in Tennessee? Are people talking about it at the water coolers? It's been a topic on every radio show for the past two days here in Toronto. He truly has that effect on fans. It's as if we all lost a close friend.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:11 AM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post

I'm curious. How much airtime (tv/radio) is this getting in Tennessee? Are people talking about it at the water coolers? It's been a topic on every radio show for the past two days here in Toronto. He truly has that effect on fans. It's as if we all lost a close friend.
I've seen a few local stations run the story a few times but not as much as I expected. The story was easily found on their websites. The sports stations covered it with more regularity and with greater details.

I think it should have gotten more coverage than it did, but the amount of people who know about it surprised me considering it's not the lead story.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:17 AM
TootooTrain
Bangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohniusMaximus View Post
I've seen a few local stations run the story a few times but not as much as I expected. The story was easily found on their websites. The sports stations covered it with more regularity and with greater details.

I think it should have gotten more coverage than it did, but the amount of people who know about it surprised me considering it's not the lead story.
Sorry, I meant sports stations naturally. They had a segment for him on the evening news, but other than that it's been discussed primarily on sports tv/radio shows.

By the way, awesome avatar. I've always liked it.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:20 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Puckscene.com (Patten Fuqua) has organized a Wade Belak Memorial Charity Drive on his site to benefit the Tourette Syndrome Clinic at Toronto Western Hospital which was the charity Wade had decided to support with his winnings from the "Battle of the Blades" show on CBC. One of Wade's daughters suffers from Tourette's.

Information about the Charity Drive can be found here:

http://www.puckscene.com/wade-belak-...charity-drive/

The goal is to raise $3,333 total via $3 donations.
someone needs to make this a thread on the main board. Separate of the main Belak thread. I will donate as soon as I have access to my pc.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:52 AM
AEM6729

Reports coming out now that Belak's death may not be a suicide after all, but a "horrible accident". I'll refrain from speculation on how or why a 6'5" man could accidentally strangle himself to death...either way it's still so tragic, but maybe it would give his family a small measure of comfort if it turns out to be an unintentional thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...11744#comments

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:15 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
someone needs to make this a thread on the main board. Separate of the main Belak thread. I will donate as soon as I have access to my pc.
It's sad when an accidental strangulation (let your mind wander to how that is possible) would be the better option than the widely reported intentional act. Freaky gone horribly wrong I can accept as just a quirk in his personality ... intentionally taking his life taints every memory of him I have.

Help programs are only as good if people are willing to let them help. Suicide prevention classes and lectures rarely accomplish anything. The Army is in the middle of dealing with this and has been for years, with ever increasing numbers of self inflicted deaths in spite of the hours of classes; promotion of programs that include the individual, unit, and family; and everything else that most people can imagine. We can offer help to those we see as potentially suicidal, we cannot force it upon them. Mitigation and reduction of the number of self inflicted deaths are the best we can realistically hope for .... elimination of the issue is a pipe dream.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Reports coming out now that Belak's death may not be a suicide after all, but a "horrible accident". I'll refrain from speculation on how or why a 6'5" man could accidentally strangle himself to death...either way it's still so tragic, but maybe it would give his family a small measure of comfort if it turns out to be an unintentional thing.
Well, I guess it could happen the same way it happened to David Carradine (Bill from Kill Bill, among other things, in case someone didn't know). I don't know if that would be better than suicide though. Then again, he's dead and it's really really sad no matter how it happened. Especially to his family. If it was suicide, then maybe at least Wade himself found some peace he must have been looking for. Anyways, my delayed condolences to his family, friends and everyone who he ever touched in one way or the other.

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
There is a thread on the main NHL board here. Unfortunately, it's been pretty quiet and fell off the first page. I would really appreciate it if we could band together to keep it on the front page this weekend. Thanks!

Last update I saw was as of late last night, there was already $1,530+ raised.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:00 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:

Legwand put it perfectly. We miss you Wade!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:01 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Sewing up the title of "Mr. PREDATOR", imo.
I'm in totally agreement with you...What a classy thing to do....

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:09 AM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Sorry, I meant sports stations naturally. They had a segment for him on the evening news, but other than that it's been discussed primarily on sports tv/radio shows.

By the way, awesome avatar. I've always liked it.
Ah, yes. The sports stations have been pretty good based on what I've heard. I was in class at the time the story broke so I only got to hear them talk about it the next day.

And thanks! I'm actually hoping to make an updated avatar with the new jersey soon. I did that one night out of boredom but people seem to like it.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:09 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...11744#comments
I hope so and if it's true this should teach newspapers and sources not to speculate until the final results are in ....these are lives that we are dealing not a sports story or a scoop.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:

I don't have a large office but a good number of people mentioned something about Wade's death in passing. Some were fans, some just knew that I was a fan.

I sincerely hope that it was an accidental death. If so, I imagine it will make things easier for his wife and children in the future, both emotionally and financially. He's still gone, of course, and it's tragic.

As for radio, ever since the day it happened and I was driving home with a replay of the new Belak radio show I've sort of shunned listening to radio, so I don't know. It was just too soon and too creepy.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:52 PM
sooshii
SISU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
OK, with it being a holiday weekend, and apparently there were some issues getting the donor site to load, Im going to extend this offer of matched donations until next wednesday.

thanks to those who have donated so far.
I donated yesterday. Thanks, PredsV82.
Condolences to all of you.
Rest in peace, Wade.

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:28 AM
maplepred

Just wanted to say R.I.P. Wade, you were an great guy and we will miss you here in Nashville big time, all my prayers to your family

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:48 PM
hockey diva
HFBoards Sponsor

Added my $3 tonight. I'm still heart sick over the news. Any chance of finding a Belak shirt anywhere? Would love to have one for opening night.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 01:08 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Wade's Memorial Service

The service was moving, sad, and sometimes lighthearted. Preds showed up well. Most of the roster was there, and many ex-Preds: De Vries, Ward, Sulzer, Sully, JP, McKenzie, Stu, Fiddler (sure I'm missing a few). Current players not there: Toots, Blum, Blake, Smitty, neither goalie. Cube was there. He's still not past the bike test. Pretty frustrated. Leafs GM Burke was there, along with Tie Domi and Brian McCabe.

Leggie was supposed to get up and speak and couldn't do it (very emotional). Walked over and asked Domi to stand in for him Domi and McCabe went up together and did a great job. Told stories, sad and happy. McCabe came off very Wade-like (big, fun-loving, emotional, passionate).

One clear message came through: Wade Belak was loved and respected beyond what you'd expect from a regular player. Wade had a unique impact on people's lives. His free spirit, coupled with being a "guy's guy" who stood up for his teammates and backed down from no one, affected so many people.

The whole thing was surreal. This guy was viewed univerally as a happy guy. He had plans and was doing what he wanted to do. He was done with hockey and the fighting. His exit was more of a retirement. He was fixing up his future house on land near Grassland Elementary. His life was just beginning. Although depression can be hidden, I don't think Wade took his own life. I will always believe this was an accident.

For those of us who view the Preds as more of a family than a pro sports franchise, cultivating a special relationship between themselves and this city and it's fans, Sunday was more proof. One of our own met with tradegy, and everyone stepped up in support. Looking around the room at the post-service reception, our family did us proud and supported Jen, Andie, and Alex just like a blood family would. It was also striking how many ex-Preds answered the call. People like Sully and JP are class acts. Instead of being bitter toward a team that no longer wanted their services, they jumped in as if it were mid-season and they were a part of it. If they had never come, nobody would have thought twice, yet they were there hugging and mixing in like a family reunion.

I thought about the appropriateness of this post. It was a private ceremony and therefore commenting on it may not be right. However, after reading the limited local press coverage (much better coverage in the Toronto Sun, including 14 pictures), I thought true pred fans would like to know what it was like (not the celebrity of it, but the emotion), and the Belak family along with the Preds would be ok with letting people know how much love was in that room.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote