HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Book Exchange

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2009, 02:53 PM
  #1
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
NYR Book Exchange

I will mail, free of charge, a copy of

Broadway Blues - by Frank Brown


This book is one of the best insights into the day-to-day NHL operations of the New York Rangers. It chronicles June 1992 to April 1993. During this tumultuous period, the Rangers "trade" for Eric Lindros at the draft, end the Roger Nielson era, Kovalev begins with the Rangers, Mike Richter ascends and effectively ends Vanbiesbrouck's NYR career, signing of Mike Keenan, an interesting looks toward Neil Smith's operational style, and covers the entire disastrous 92-93 season.

For those who are not familiar with him, Frank Brown was a long term beat writer who retired after the Cup and handed his job to John Dellapina.

Without a shadow of a doubt, it is a fascinating read and I highly recommend it.


In mailing this copy out for free, I make only two demands:

1) Read the book (and in a reasonable amount of time)
2) Distribute it to another Ranger fan in the same fashion

If anyone else has any Ranger books/media they wish to share with another individual, and if the mods allow, please post it here. Please, don't ask for ANY money for any materials. The spirit should be sharing and free.


Last edited by frozenrubber: 01-14-2009 at 03:13 PM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:55 PM
  #2
irishlaxburger2
Registered User
 
irishlaxburger2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Notre Dame, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,925
vCash: 500
I'm in.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:24 PM
  #3
ArtieAnisimov
 
ArtieAnisimov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
I'd be happy to read it and share it

ArtieAnisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
  #4
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
PMs sent.

If anyone else has any Ranger media to share/loan w/ the HFBoards community, please feel free to post.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
  #5
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 500
I'd love to get it. I have no books about Rangers, sorry. I'd be happy to pass this one along if I eventually received it.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:20 PM
  #6
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 500
Bump.



Sorry it took me so long, I've been busy, but it is finished. The first person that PM's me their address, will be the next receiver. I will mail it shortly.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:28 PM
  #7
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of Ratso Sloman's book about the 82-83 (or is it 81-82?) Ranger team, called "A Season in Hell with the NYR." It's been out of print for a while, though.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:44 PM
  #8
GothamRanger
Registered User
 
GothamRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Great idea and thanks!

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM
  #9
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 500
Any one have Theo Fleury's book they'd be willing to lend?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
  #10
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...
 
Mint Berry Crunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: Pakistan
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 1081
Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Long time lurker, first time poster - I'd love to be a part of this.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 12:04 PM
  #11
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I will mail, free of charge, a copy of

Broadway Blues - by Frank Brown


This book is one of the best insights into the day-to-day NHL operations of the New York Rangers. It chronicles June 1992 to April 1993. During this tumultuous period, the Rangers "trade" for Eric Lindros at the draft, end the Roger Nielson era, Kovalev begins with the Rangers, Mike Richter ascends and effectively ends Vanbiesbrouck's NYR career, signing of Mike Keenan, an interesting looks toward Neil Smith's operational style, and covers the entire disastrous 92-93 season.

For those who are not familiar with him, Frank Brown was a long term beat writer who retired after the Cup and handed his job to John Dellapina.

Without a shadow of a doubt, it is a fascinating read and I highly recommend it.


In mailing this copy out for free, I make only two demands:

1) Read the book (and in a reasonable amount of time)
2) Distribute it to another Ranger fan in the same fashion

If anyone else has any Ranger books/media they wish to share with another individual, and if the mods allow, please post it here. Please, don't ask for ANY money for any materials. The spirit should be sharing and free.
if you want to a trade I have Losing the Edge - The Rise and Fall of the 1993-94 New York Rangers. Awesome stuff behind the scenes during the cup run, the 1995 lockout, and the following season.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
  #12
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 500
Just picked up the book and found the thread in a note in one of the pages. I'm sending this to BB now.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:53 PM
  #13
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!
 
Ruotsalainen29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of Ratso Sloman's book about the 82-83 (or is it 81-82?) Ranger team, called "A Season in Hell with the NYR." It's been out of print for a while, though.
I own this book. GREAT read. It actually starts right after the Rangers lose the Cup to Montreal in '79.

You can get a used version for pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Ice-Seaso...4813077&sr=8-1

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:22 PM
  #14
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I will mail, free of charge, a copy of

Broadway Blues - by Frank Brown


This book is one of the best insights into the day-to-day NHL operations of the New York Rangers. It chronicles June 1992 to April 1993. During this tumultuous period, the Rangers "trade" for Eric Lindros at the draft, end the Roger Nielson era, Kovalev begins with the Rangers, Mike Richter ascends and effectively ends Vanbiesbrouck's NYR career, signing of Mike Keenan, an interesting looks toward Neil Smith's operational style, and covers the entire disastrous 92-93 season.

For those who are not familiar with him, Frank Brown was a long term beat writer who retired after the Cup and handed his job to John Dellapina.

Without a shadow of a doubt, it is a fascinating read and I highly recommend it.


In mailing this copy out for free, I make only two demands:

1) Read the book (and in a reasonable amount of time)
2) Distribute it to another Ranger fan in the same fashion

If anyone else has any Ranger books/media they wish to share with another individual, and if the mods allow, please post it here. Please, don't ask for ANY money for any materials. The spirit should be sharing and free.


It's a great read.

It's weird -- I discovered it in the Northeastern University library around 1995 while looking for Bronx Zoo. Took me two days to finish.

Granted, a lot of the stuff we already knew -- the Neilson/Mess fiasco, Kovalev the enigma, and of course, the Richter meltdown in Game 4

Frank Brown was probably my favorite beat writer. He took a job with the NHL almost immediately after the Cup season. I never thought Dellapina measured up, personally.


Hats off to you for your willingness to mail out free copies.

I say this is a mandatory read for all the pre-1994 fans on this site, and all the over-25 crowd in case they havent read it yet

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:45 PM
  #15
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
I'd love to read Broadway Blues if anybody wants to trade it for this one that I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Edge-St.../dp/0684815192

Losing the Edge: Rise and Fall of the Stanley Cup Champion New York Rangers

Goes really in depth into the 1993-94 and 1994-95 seasons. Learn a lot of interesting stuff about Keenan, and how he was basically an insane sociopath and Messier was truly the thread keeping the team and Coach together as he was the only one respected enough by both sides to mediate. Lots of amazing facts/stories I had never heard before.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:52 PM
  #16
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,829
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
I'd love to read Broadway Blues if anybody wants to trade it for this one that I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Losing-Edge-St.../dp/0684815192

Losing the Edge: Rise and Fall of the Stanley Cup Champion New York Rangers

Goes really in depth into the 1993-94 and 1994-95 seasons. Learn a lot of interesting stuff about Keenan, and how he was basically an insane sociopath and Messier was truly the thread keeping the team and Coach together as he was the only one respected enough by both sides to mediate. Lots of amazing facts/stories I had never heard before.
Tremendous read.

The "Mike Gartman" and Glenn Healy stories were the best.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
  #17
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Tremendous read.

The "Mike Gartman" and Glenn Healy stories were the best.
I just can't see Keenan, let alone any coach, literally yell to Brian Leetch "You're no Chelios" in the middle of a 50-win season.

Then again, maybe I can see Keenan say that.

I dont know if it was Losing the Edge or Blues in which they say Neil Smith used to ask the guy riding with him in the car to pay the tolls because he dident feel like digging into the pockets of his tight jeans

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:59 AM
  #18
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I just can't see Keenan, let alone any coach, literally yell to Brian Leetch "You're no Chelios" in the middle of a 50-win season.

Then again, maybe I can see Keenan say that.

I dont know if it was Losing the Edge or Blues in which they say Neil Smith used to ask the guy riding with him in the car to pay the tolls because he dident feel like digging into the pockets of his tight jeans
I thought it was outrageous too but wasn't Barry Meisel a highly respected beat writer for the team? The story about Keenan in Game 4 of the Devils series is nuts too. (the game where he pulled Richter, benched Leetch/Messier in a close game and tried to say they were injured when they were capable of playing)

The stuff about the Smith-Keenan relationship is also gold, had no idea it went that deep to the point where they weren't speaking by the finals.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:15 AM
  #19
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
I am SO IN

If you dont send it to me, I am going out to buy it. Sounds like a fascinating read and I am out on Workmans Compensation. So reading it quickly and sending it back out would be VERY QUICK.

Plus I am located in Long Island so shipping shouldnt be expensive at ALL.

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 11:59 PM
  #20
Bulls9220
Registered User
 
Bulls9220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Any one have Theo Fleury's book they'd be willing to lend?
Is Fleurys book Fury?.. I think I have that one.

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:35 PM
  #21
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,287
vCash: 300
Gonna get that Larry Sloman book...thanks for posting the link, R29. Also bought "The Losing Edge".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I am SO IN

If you dont send it to me, I am going out to buy it. Sounds like a fascinating read and I am out on Workmans Compensation. So reading it quickly and sending it back out would be VERY QUICK.

Plus I am located in Long Island so shipping shouldnt be expensive at ALL.
I have it...I'll try and get through it as quickly as possible, I can usually get through books very quickly once I get into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestateofmind8 View Post
Is Fleurys book Fury?.. I think I have that one.
Fleury's book is called "Playing With Fire".

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard

Last edited by JeffMangum: 09-02-2011 at 09:45 PM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:39 PM
  #22
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
I remember seeing an interview with Brian on MSG where he said he'd get calls from Chelios telling him he heard they were gonna get traded for each other.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:58 PM
  #23
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestateofmind8 View Post
Is Fleurys book Fury?.. I think I have that one.
Playing With Fire, and it is excellent. Everyone here should have to read it. Should be mandatory.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.