HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A question about Drury's retirement...

Old
08-31-2011, 05:52 AM
Stu Brammall

vCash: 500
A question about Drury's retirement...

First off I just want to say hi and introduce myself. I'm an english ice hockey fan who has been following the rangers for nearly 10 years. I don't post often but I do enjoy reading everyone's views and opinions on the rangers.

Anyway, I have a question about Chris Drury and his retirement so here goes.

Do you think that he would have retired this year had he not been bought out?

It seems to me that as it is now, by retiring, he is admitting to himself that his knee is at the point where he feels he cant play at the level he expects. And that's fair enough. But if he wasn't bought out, does he still come to this decision, or does he dog it for another year, skating on a bad knee and under performing?

Just interested to see what people think! I was a Drury fan by the way, and I respect him as a hockey player despite his bad stint in NY.

Stu Brammall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Superstar Carwash

I personally think that it was on his mind and he was considering it, but would probably try for another year had the Rangers not bought him out. I also think that he was honest about this to Sather and at the point of the buyout he just didn't know.

I hold no grudge against Drury.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:21 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Welcome to the board stu good to see other English Ranger fans.

As for your question, I honestly think Drury wanted to play this season at the point of his buyout, he's the type of guy who would keep going as long as he could, but realised later in the summer he just couldn't cut it anymore. I think the fact that nobody else signed him was a contributing factor also

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy3413 View Post
Welcome to the board stu good to see other English Ranger fans.

As for your question, I honestly think Drury wanted to play this season at the point of his buyout, he's the type of guy who would keep going as long as he could, but realised later in the summer he just couldn't cut it anymore. I think the fact that nobody else signed him was a contributing factor also
Agreed. I liked Drury because of his work ethic. It's kinda sad to see him go. But it also gives room to our young players. I honestly think if he waited, he would get signed.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:47 AM
jacko23
KCCO!

i also think there is a possibility that he may have been waiting around for anew contract from another team and wound up retiring because 1) nobody offered one or 2) he couldnt come to an agreement with a team [years, $amount] and got to a point where he didnt want to go through the hassle anymore considering any team would most likely have him in a reduced role/ 4th liner. he's a competitor and i dont think thats his style. they only reason he had his nose to the grindstone in that 4th line role is because he was under contract already, and also had extra PK time, when healthy. just my thoughts

jacko23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

I think that if he saw his body was going to be unable to go, he would have retired regardless. He was trying to find a team to play with and realized that he wouldn't be able to go anymore and retired

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 11:06 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
IMHO he would have tried to play out the rest of his contract, and the reason why he retired was likely because he couldn't find a job, or at least a job on a team competitive enough for him.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Leetch3

i think without the buyout he would have attempted to play and then spent the year on LTIR collecting his $$...

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:09 PM
eco's bones

If the Rangers hadn't bought him out--there's a very good chance that Richards would have signed with someone else. And forget Rupp and probably Fedotenko, Eminger.

If more or less healthy Chris would have shown up for training camp. Next question is whether or not he'd be good enough to make the team even without all the forwards mentioned above? I'm thinking--maybe not but we'd have been stuck with him because of the NMC.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 07:43 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

He would have gone for the money and played, no matter how bad he was even if he couldn't skate, he wasn't giving up the cash.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:51 PM
pld459666

Not a big Drury fan, I admit that.

I just don't see that in his DNA. He seems like a good person and I believe that had he known before the buyout, he would have retired.

Just my opinion of him.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:16 PM
SML

Let's not make value judgement on Drury as a person based on whether or not he would have retired and saved us cap space. There are far more noble things to do with several million dollars. I'm sure the bill for maintaining his college teammate Travis Roy's living situation is not cheap. If I were Drury, I would certainly stay on the roster and help a guy who truly needed help before I worried about the financial situation of the team.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Alphacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Let's not make value judgement on Drury as a person based on whether or not he would have retired and saved us cap space. There are far more noble things to do with several million dollars. I'm sure the bill for maintaining his college teammate Travis Roy's living situation is not cheap. If I were Drury, I would certainly stay on the roster and help a guy who truly needed help before I worried about the financial situation of the team.
Well said. It was drurys decision and we just have to live with it. He could probably care less about our $ situation. That says nothing truly horrible about his character though.

Alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote