HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber

Old
08-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
Debating Hockey moves seems pretty silly after the news doesn't it? I feel just a little stupid.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Debating Hockey moves seems pretty silly after the news doesn't it? I feel just a little stupid.
My heart hurts.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 06:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
My heart hurts.
mine too ...

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:12 PM
glenngineer

Can I bring something to light about money spent for this team. I don't know the exact numbers but let's look at something that hasn't been brought to light. This teams needs to make the playoffs to break even or thereabouts correct? We have to stay below a certain point for revenue sharing, correct? What if we spend past the limit, we lose out on revenue sharing. So that's what, a $6-10 million dollar loss, correct? So say we miss the playoffs, now we're out all that money. Do that a few years in a row and we're done as a franchise in Nashville. Say we do we make the playoffs and go one round, we lose around $4-8 million dollars? Still not a good proposition. We have to probably go to the Conference Finals to break even financially. Talk about pressure as a GM and an ownership group.

We go past the midpoint, we lose money which we have no way of making up. So our salary cap numbers go up regardless and lose the revenue sharing. Do we really feel that one player is now going to push us over the edge? Are we willing to take that risk?

This doesn't happen overnight people. Last summer we complained that we couldn't make it past the first round and we do it this summer and instead of rejoicing about it, we're bickering about moves that Poile did or didn't make? I used to be on the side that we needed to get rid of Trotz because he couldn't get us anywhere in the playoffs. Now he has and the guy with no neck has grown on me, sort of like a fungus. Do I think he's the perfect coach, nope, his PP still sucks but he gets the most of a roster I've seen from a coach in years. Poile has to work within a budget. He is up against a stacked deck in that most teams have about $10-12 million more to spend than we do and that is usually going to get you 2 pretty good players or 3 solid players. Imagine if we had the funds to go out and get two top three forwards. We'd all be pretty ecstatic.

There are risks involved in everything. I'd love for the team to spend more money but not at the expense of losing the team. I used to think differently but once this team grows on you, you don't want to lose it.

We all love the team. Let's find some good thoughts about the team and each other as today's earlier tragedy hopefully has put this in perspective for all of us.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:16 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

101st knows the CBA better than most of us, but from what I've been told revenue sharing is tiered. We get the first tier because of the size of the market in which we play. The second tier is designed to help a team spend to, but not beyond, the midpoint. With that in mind, the amount of money you get for the second tier, provided there is money still available, is directly related to how closely you spent to the midpoint in the preceding season. Simply, if we spend to the midpoint we get no money. If we spend $4m less than the midpoint, we get $4m. It could be wrong, but that's how it was explained to me.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
101st knows the CBA better than most of us, but from what I've been told revenue sharing is tiered. We get the first tier because of the size of the market in which we play. The second tier is designed to help a team spend to, but not beyond, the midpoint. With that in mind, the amount of money you get for the second tier, provided there is money still available, is directly related to how closely you spent to the midpoint in the preceding season. Simply, if we spend to the midpoint we get no money. If we spend $4m less than the midpoint, we get $4m. It could be wrong, but that's how it was explained to me.
That is correct. In the 2nd tier of revenue sharing you are eligible to receive only what you spent below the midpoint of the salary cap. For example, if you spent $53 million and the midpoint was $54 million you would be eligible to receive up to $1 million in the second round of revenue sharing provided that there was money still left to be distributed.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 08:38 PM
glenngineer

So we're really not getting as much money as I thought from revenue sharing, which is actually pretty good news. Problem is, we still won't be able to spend more than we currently are for a while.

Old
08-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So we're really not getting as much money as I thought from revenue sharing, which is actually pretty good news. Problem is, we still won't be able to spend more than we currently are for a while.
It's been factored into every personnel move. Last season Poile was able to acquire Fisher because the team had brought in extra revenue from higher than expected ticket sales and new sponsors. That extra revenue offset what the team would lose in revenue sharing by increasing the payroll, so the excess revenue was put right back into the payroll.

That's where I don't get why people think that the owners have been lining their pockets with money this summer. They also have paid for all of the updates to the arena and are footing the bill for the new "Fan Zone". Ownership isn't in this to make money right now, they don't want to lose money, but they are reinvesting the profits directly into improving the team.

I really don't think some people understand that. That's not a shot at anyone in particular, but just a thought that crosses my mind frequently when people take shots at ownership...

Old
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
braindead

Here is the thought that keeps going through my head today.....

Our captain can't commit to our team for multiple years of $6M or $7M for each and every year and Wade Belak gave it all....ALL... for less than a million. I kow it isn't rational to link these in any way so feel free to throw rocks but Belak's death has left me with a very very sour taste in my mouth that we spent the entire summer obsessing over Shea and exactly how rich we need to make him so he feels like giving us some more time.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:45 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
That is correct. In the 2nd tier of revenue sharing you are eligible to receive only what you spent below the midpoint of the salary cap. For example, if you spent $53 million and the midpoint was $54 million you would be eligible to receive up to $1 million in the second round of revenue sharing provided that there was money still left to be distributed.
Wow. Thats a hugely significant clarification.

What that means is the cap midpoint isnt a HARD cap for us.

I thought if we went over the midpoint, even by only a few dollars, we not only had to spend the extra money, but we also lost a sizeable chunk of revenue sharing.

but in this scenario, if we are already at or near the midpoint, going over only costs us the actual money spent.

That could be VERY significant at the trade deadline... we could add a guy like Parise even if we were already right up against the midpoint

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 01:22 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Can I bring something to light about money spent for this team. I don't know the exact numbers but let's look at something that hasn't been brought to light. This teams needs to make the playoffs to break even or thereabouts correct? We have to stay below a certain point for revenue sharing, correct? What if we spend past the limit, we lose out on revenue sharing. So that's what, a $6-10 million dollar loss, correct? So say we miss the playoffs, now we're out all that money. Do that a few years in a row and we're done as a franchise in Nashville. Say we do we make the playoffs and go one round, we lose around $4-8 million dollars? Still not a good proposition. We have to probably go to the Conference Finals to break even financially. Talk about pressure as a GM and an ownership group.

We go past the midpoint, we lose money which we have no way of making up. So our salary cap numbers go up regardless and lose the revenue sharing. Do we really feel that one player is now going to push us over the edge? Are we willing to take that risk?

This doesn't happen overnight people. Last summer we complained that we couldn't make it past the first round and we do it this summer and instead of rejoicing about it, we're bickering about moves that Poile did or didn't make? I used to be on the side that we needed to get rid of Trotz because he couldn't get us anywhere in the playoffs. Now he has and the guy with no neck has grown on me, sort of like a fungus. Do I think he's the perfect coach, nope, his PP still sucks but he gets the most of a roster I've seen from a coach in years. Poile has to work within a budget. He is up against a stacked deck in that most teams have about $10-12 million more to spend than we do and that is usually going to get you 2 pretty good players or 3 solid players. Imagine if we had the funds to go out and get two top three forwards. We'd all be pretty ecstatic.

There are risks involved in everything. I'd love for the team to spend more money but not at the expense of losing the team. I used to think differently but once this team grows on you, you don't want to lose it.

We all love the team. Let's find some good thoughts about the team and each other as today's earlier tragedy hopefully has put this in perspective for all of us.
So if we spend money we loose the team and you know this for certain. After hearing that we had the money to sign Weber and it took arb. to get him signed I have my doubts of management stance. It's more imperative that we do go after people because we need to make the playoffs Buffalo is a small market and they spent money. Did they spend it wisely time will tell. Where Buffalo has the offense Nashville has the defense. The small market Sabres have gotten to a cup with Hasak lead team then we can ...In perspective we have to talk about hockey because of the tragedy not in spite of it because life goes on and while we mourn we know that life is for the living and this is part of the healing

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:43 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Buffalo is a small market and they spent money. .........
Their new owner is a billionaire, He sold his company for $4.7 billion. He donated $88 million to Penn State to build an ice arena. If our owners had that kind of money, we wouldn't be discussing the mid-point of the cap.

Buffalo itself is 260,000 people but the surrounding area has over 1.2 million people not counting how close they are to Canada. I think the latter (and the resulting itense interest in hockey in the Buffalo area) has more to do with the strength of the team's finances.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:45 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Their new owner is a billionaire, He sold his company for $4.7 billion. He donated $88 million to Penn State to build an ice arena. If our owners had that kind of money, we wouldn't be discussing the mid-point of the cap.

Buffalo itself is 260,000 people but the surrounding area has over 1.2 million people not counting how close they are to Canada. I think the latter (and the resulting itense interest in hockey in the Buffalo area) has more to do with the strength of the team's finances.
So he wasn't the owner when they played in the finals? This is the team that lost Brian Campbell and Drury to bigger markets and others but do a good job of drafting. Why can't we have a billionaire owner? Why don't all of the country music stars put money where their heartache songs is. Instead of tears in their beer then we could have the bisquits in the basket

Old
09-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
So he wasn't the owner when they played in the finals? This is the team that lost Brian Campbell and Drury to bigger markets and others but do a good job of drafting. Why can't we have a billionaire owner? Why don't all of the country music stars put money where their heartache songs is. Instead of tears in their beer then we could have the bisquits in the basket
Google "Terry Pegula" and you'll learn about him...

Old
09-03-2011, 01:14 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Google "Terry Pegula" and you'll learn about him...
I knew that had a new owner he was at the draft and introduced the first pick for Buffalo. They explained how rich he was. Everybody has billionaires except us....and Phoenix

Old
09-03-2011, 01:19 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
I knew that had a new owner he was at the draft and introduced the first pick for Buffalo. They explained how rich he was. Everybody has billionaires except us....and Phoenix
Truth

If Vince Gill was a true diehard he would put a share in the Preds. Damn richboy

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:32 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Truth

If Vince Gill was a true diehard he would put a share in the Preds. Damn richboy
Vince Gill is chump change compared to most of the NHL owners.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:54 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Vince Gill is chump change compared to most of the NHL owners.
What about the CMA owning the Preds....Yeeeeee Haaaaa!

Old
09-03-2011, 12:40 PM
glenngineer

If you ever wanted a country star to own the Preds or be involved you'd want Garth involved. One, he has the cash and two, the guy is the best at marketing the product he's involved in.

Old
09-03-2011, 02:36 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
If you ever wanted a country star to own the Preds or be involved you'd want Garth involved. One, he has the cash and two, the guy is the best at marketing the product he's involved in.
Well lets get him on the phone!!!

He probably isnt a fan of ours or doesnt watch hockey.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:

He wore a Preds cap when he was on SNL. ;-)

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:51 PM
roseyc

Quote:

So Garth has got friends in Preds places

Old
09-03-2011, 09:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

If Garth Brooks ever did buy the team could we change that god awful Tim McGraw goal song to simply Garth's version of Beer Run? Because if you're really honest with yourself, the first thing to come to mind when you see the Preds score is "B double E double R-U-N, Beer run!"

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 09:37 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
If Garth Brooks ever did buy the team could we change that god awful Tim McGraw goal song to simply Garth's version of Beer Run? Because if you're really honest with yourself, the first thing to come to mind when you see the Preds score is "B double E double R-U-N, Beer run!"
Love that song ....and orange barrels ...but i agree that Tim McGraw song ...but Garth didn't do the Beer Run originally did he?

Old
09-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:

Unfortunately I think that many of the teams in the states and Toronto have owners who are more interested in a tenant that brings in revenue's for the building other than for the love of the game. If Nashville sold out every game would it still matter? Charge more for seats and less people will come unless the team can show more improvements on the ice.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote