HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Atlantic Division

Old
09-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I said CONFERENCE. Not Division.
One of those teams has to win the division and therefore, has to be 1-3 in the conference.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:34 PM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by x GBISH x View Post
One of those teams has to win the division and therefore, has to be 1-3 in the conference.
very true., Tu'che

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Glass half empty much?

They'll make the playoffs.

As far as the defense being young. Yes but it has experience though.
I did say they would place better than they did last year, I just put that "if" in there just to have some cushion, ya' never know

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Rangers: Addressed the biggest missing piece. Theoretically they are close to being a Cup Contender, if they're not there already.

Devils: Will probably be better, but they still need to inject youth and get a real defense quick.

Islanders: Better. As JT gets older and better, the Islanders will get better, simple as that. Throw a guy like Strome in the mix and the Islanders are just waiting on time to become a better team.

Flyers: Worse. I think Schenn is vastly overrated, and losing Richards AND Carter, even Leino, hurts them. The team is either going to belong to JVR or Giroux over the next decade, more likely than not.

Pens: Cup contenders with Crosby and Malkin. Early round exit playoff team without them. That'll be how it goes for a long, long time.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Alphacat

Rangers: they sure look better on paper with Richards. Injuries will be the determining factor. A healthy dubi and cally will be so beneficial to the team.

Devils: I think they will be better. Not as good as the end of last season though. (I hope)

Islanders: better. They are a young team whose players should be improving.

Flyers: even with bryz you lost two stars. Much worse.

Pens: worse. They will really be missing Crosby.

Alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:33 AM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

There are a lot of variables to consider within the Atlantic. A lot. Each team has big question marks, each team is relying on something that may not happen. With the Rangers, you have to question whether or not Richards/Gaborik will click. If they don't, there will be a major issue, although I don't see any reason to think that way — these situations are very unpredicatble, but Richards' style of play suits Gaborik's style very well. Also, even if these two don't find that synergy, Richards is still a player that can drive the offense, and Gaborik is still a #1 winger. It would be an issue, but it wouldn't completely derail the team, IMO. However, if they do click, it'll send the Rangers from "bubble" team to "contender".

Another thing to consider is if the pairing of McDonagh/Sauer can continue their stellar play. Personally, I believe they can, but I still have a twinge of doubt about those two — I do not question their ability in anyway whatsoever. What I question is, will things go as they did in 10-11 for them? When you transition from your rookie to your sophomore season, there are always so many questions. Will they get the bounces they got in the season prior? Will success go to their head? Will opposing teams "figure them out"? Fortunately for the Rangers, neither of these players showed any real "weakness" in their overall game, like Del Zotto before them. There were no consistent, noticeable mistakes. Just very strong, consistent defensive hockey, especially from Sauer.

Every young player on this young team is somewhat of a variable. Erixon, Del Zotto, Stepan, Anisimov, Wolski, Dubinsky, Boyle, McDonagh, Sauer. Can they continue to progress, or progress after a bad season? Or will they regress, and not contribute to the team's success as much as last season?

The Devils...I don't know what to make of them. They have two all-star wingers in Parise and Kovalchuk, a strong centerman in Travis Zajac, and an excellent veteran scoring option in Elias, but after that, their team lacks depth in both the forward position and the defensive position. Regarding the latter, it's simply awful. Greene, Tallinder, and Volchenkov are their 3 best defenseman. Greene is their best offensive defenseman. As long as their defensive core has Greene leading the team in points, the Devils will go nowhere in the playoffs. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they missed the playoffs. Their future on defense looks very bright with Larsson, Urbom, Burlon, Taormina, Sova, and Merrill in the system, but in the here in now, it's one of the worst in the league.

Brodeur isn't getting any younger, although he was phenomenal at the end of the season. Zajac is injured to start the year, and that would leave their best natural center being Jacob Josefson. A 20 year old rookie. Big fan of his, but that's a LOT of responsibility for a young kid like that. There's also the new coach factor to consider, yet again. Will DeBoer mesh with the team? I think the biggest issue with MacLean is that some of the players who had played with him didn't give him the respect a player should give his coach. Brodeur and Langenbrunner being the most notorious in that particular category.

The Islanders are a team I'm not too worried about. They have an excellent young core, but there is still a gaping hole on their defense, and PA Parenteau is a top line winger. Montoya is their best NHL goaltender. I have to admit, Montoya was actually pretty solid for the Isles, but he's still not a legitimate starting goaltender. They're going to need their young players to imropve tenfold for them to even consider making a run at the playoffs. I like their team a lot (the players, that is), but as of now, Snow still has a TON of work to do.

The Penguins are pretty self explanatory...the absence of Crosby is enormous. It will affect the entire offensive game of the Penguins; however, they still were a very good team at the end of last season, even without Malkin and Crosby. To me, that just shows what an amazing coach Dan Bylsma is, and what a great system can do for your team. Fleury was also possessed. Even without Crosby, with a healthy Malkin and an improved Fleury, they are still easily a top-2 team in the division.

Philadelphia is the biggest wild card, IMO. They have a lot of talent, but they completely overhauled their roster in the offseason, trading away their two best forwards. They turned the team over to Pronger, Briere, Giroux, and Jagr. And, while I love Jaromir, he doesn't exactly give off the vibe of "great leader" to me. While they did address their goaltending, I still think that moving Mike Richards is a move that will eventually get Paul Holmgren fired. Yes, Schenn is a very good prospect, but will he be able to replace Mike Richards? I doubt it. The Carter move was a good move, IMO, but trading Richards away is still mind boggling to me. Pronger also had a string of major injuries last year, so we have to see how he recovers.

All in all, it's a very intriguing division. IMO, this is how it'll end up on paper:

1. Rangers (if no Crosby
2. Penguins (if no Crosby)
3. Philadelphia
4. New Jersey
5. Islanders

Flip flop 1/2 if Crosby is healthy.

For the first time in a long time, the Rangers look primed for a legitimate run at the division, and a run at the cup. Unfortunately, these things don't always materialize. I still think the year that we should be excited for is 2012-2013.

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:49 AM
hockeynjersey

Rangers: I think will be much better

Devils: better, not sure if they'll make playoffs

Islanders: better

Flyers: For some reason I can never count this team out as much I hate them

Pens: If Crosby is healthy they'll take the Division

hockeynjersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Real Four
Be A Ranger

Rangers: Better, will clinch playoff spot a lot earlier than has been the case recently, could even win the division.

Penguins: Will probably start off slow and finish strong, will challenge Rangers for division title, will depend a lot on Crosby obviously.

Devils: Marty will make the playoffs one last time, will sneak in at 7 or 8 unless DeBoer really doesn't work out.

Islanders: Still too young and terrible goaltending, will finish in bottom 5 of conference.

Flyers: Will be right with the Devils for 7 or 8, hopefully finishing on the outside.

Real Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Alphacat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
There are a lot of variables to consider within the Atlantic. A lot. Each team has big question marks, each team is relying on something that may not happen. With the Rangers, you have to question whether or not Richards/Gaborik will click. If they don't, there will be a major issue, although I don't see any reason to think that way — these situations are very unpredicatble, but Richards' style of play suits Gaborik's style very well. Also, even if these two don't find that synergy, Richards is still a player that can drive the offense, and Gaborik is still a #1 winger. It would be an issue, but it wouldn't completely derail the team, IMO. However, if they do click, it'll send the Rangers from "bubble" team to "contender".

Another thing to consider is if the pairing of McDonagh/Sauer can continue their stellar play. Personally, I believe they can, but I still have a twinge of doubt about those two — I do not question their ability in anyway whatsoever. What I question is, will things go as they did in 10-11 for them? When you transition from your rookie to your sophomore season, there are always so many questions. Will they get the bounces they got in the season prior? Will success go to their head? Will opposing teams "figure them out"? Fortunately for the Rangers, neither of these players showed any real "weakness" in their overall game, like Del Zotto before them. There were no consistent, noticeable mistakes. Just very strong, consistent defensive hockey, especially from Sauer.

Every young player on this young team is somewhat of a variable. Erixon, Del Zotto, Stepan, Anisimov, Wolski, Dubinsky, Boyle, McDonagh, Sauer. Can they continue to progress, or progress after a bad season? Or will they regress, and not contribute to the team's success as much as last season?

The Devils...I don't know what to make of them. They have two all-star wingers in Parise and Kovalchuk, a strong centerman in Travis Zajac, and an excellent veteran scoring option in Elias, but after that, their team lacks depth in both the forward position and the defensive position. Regarding the latter, it's simply awful. Greene, Tallinder, and Volchenkov are their 3 best defenseman. Greene is their best offensive defenseman. As long as their defensive core has Greene leading the team in points, the Devils will go nowhere in the playoffs. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they missed the playoffs. Their future on defense looks very bright with Larsson, Urbom, Burlon, Taormina, Sova, and Merrill in the system, but in the here in now, it's one of the worst in the league.

Brodeur isn't getting any younger, although he was phenomenal at the end of the season. Zajac is injured to start the year, and that would leave their best natural center being Jacob Josefson. A 20 year old rookie. Big fan of his, but that's a LOT of responsibility for a young kid like that. There's also the new coach factor to consider, yet again. Will DeBoer mesh with the team? I think the biggest issue with MacLean is that some of the players who had played with him didn't give him the respect a player should give his coach. Brodeur and Langenbrunner being the most notorious in that particular category.

The Islanders are a team I'm not too worried about. They have an excellent young core, but there is still a gaping hole on their defense, and PA Parenteau is a top line winger. Montoya is their best NHL goaltender. I have to admit, Montoya was actually pretty solid for the Isles, but he's still not a legitimate starting goaltender. They're going to need their young players to imropve tenfold for them to even consider making a run at the playoffs. I like their team a lot (the players, that is), but as of now, Snow still has a TON of work to do.

The Penguins are pretty self explanatory...the absence of Crosby is enormous. It will affect the entire offensive game of the Penguins; however, they still were a very good team at the end of last season, even without Malkin and Crosby. To me, that just shows what an amazing coach Dan Bylsma is, and what a great system can do for your team. Fleury was also possessed. Even without Crosby, with a healthy Malkin and an improved Fleury, they are still easily a top-2 team in the division.

Philadelphia is the biggest wild card, IMO. They have a lot of talent, but they completely overhauled their roster in the offseason, trading away their two best forwards. They turned the team over to Pronger, Briere, Giroux, and Jagr. And, while I love Jaromir, he doesn't exactly give off the vibe of "great leader" to me. While they did address their goaltending, I still think that moving Mike Richards is a move that will eventually get Paul Holmgren fired. Yes, Schenn is a very good prospect, but will he be able to replace Mike Richards? I doubt it. The Carter move was a good move, IMO, but trading Richards away is still mind boggling to me. Pronger also had a string of major injuries last year, so we have to see how he recovers.

All in all, it's a very intriguing division. IMO, this is how it'll end up on paper:

1. Rangers (if no Crosby
2. Penguins (if no Crosby)
3. Philadelphia
4. New Jersey
5. Islanders

Flip flop 1/2 if Crosby is healthy.

For the first time in a long time, the Rangers look primed for a legitimate run at the division, and a run at the cup. Unfortunately, these things don't always materialize. I still think the year that we should be excited for is 2012-2013.
Agreed, that is when we will have a legit chance to win division (even if Crosby is healthy). 2013-2014 & 2014-2015 will be the two key years though, where I think we will be at the top of the conference and be one the the favorites to win the Cup.

Alphacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:49 PM
bernmeister

Good comments by all above, and don't immediately see any statement I can quibble with.
Barring injury, of course,

Rangers: Unless Crosby AND Malkin play in top form like they were never injured, the Division is our's to lose.

Devils: Older, not better. Will not compete for title, but if they get 5 good players for Brodeur and Parise, and Larrson matures quickly, they can show accellerated improvement.

Islanders: Better. But no depth. Not enough talent. Tavares + Streit will have to carry them.

Flyers: Too many ??????????. Enough talent to be dangerous. Don't take for granted. But still beatable.

Pens: Comparable in total talent to rangers. Obviously again, Crosby + Malkin are key. But so is play of Letang and a full season of Neal. Biggest unknown is the consistency of M.A. Fleury.

We need to move a little bit of deadwood, and not lose Weise and V-tank (waiver issues) for nothing.

Guys like Hagelin can improve our 4th line.
Not addressing deadwood,
we need to be open to moving Girardi + Boyle for an upgrade,
and even possibly Stepan if an elite is in the equation.

But on balance, it's a good time to be a Ranger fan --- assuming we have overcome our scoring woes.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Rebels21

Rangers- Better. Young players are getting better. Playoff team but not a cup contender. I say with the addition of Thomas and Kreider next year we should have a chance for the cup.

Islanders- Much better but still no playoffs. If they wanna bomb the season one more time this would be the year to do it with the strong draft talent. especially the surplus of D men in the draft. Top team in like 5 years.

Devils- Better or worst. Interesting on how they hold up under the new coach. On paper they are a solid team and even better if Larsson can play with NHLers and Kovy and Parise produce. Also very dependent on Broduer playing well. Hard to say how they do. I say they might get in as an lower seed.

Flyers- I think they are due for a rough year. They are getting older and Pronger cant keep up his playing for long. Bryzgolov hasn't done well under pressure in my eyes( or atleast from what I saw in the playoffs last year). Also a lot of weight on young Giroux and JVR but i also think these 2 are some of the best young players in the league so they should be able to perform. Couturier could also help.

Pens- I think they are going to due worse but if their secondary players step up like they did last year after losing Crosby and Malkin they will run away with the division. Malkin probably wont be the same player ever. I may be wrong but that kind of injury would leave him weaker in the legs and he is a very powerful player. Could be detrimental to him. Crosby has been on the couch since January basicly. He could end up being another Marc Savard but its hard to tell with concussions.

I say the final division looks like this. Kind of hope im wrong. Makes the season interesting if you have some upsets
1. Penguins
2.Rangers
3. Flyers
4. Devils
5.Islanders

Rebels21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think each team in the Division will be highly dissapointed if they dont make the playoffs.

I think the Devils and Islanders find themselves on the outside this year. Like the direction the Devils are headed, but see this one as a transition year. Then again I had them in the conference finals last year so shows how much I know.

If the Flyers struggle with their new offense, and Pitt has no Crosby and a shell of Malin for much of they year, then there is a chance, if we play perfectly and the stars align of taking the division. But i'd put it at only about 10-1 right now.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote