HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Habs rookies are you excited about?

Old
09-03-2011, 10:29 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Which Habs rookies are you excited about?

I need all of you HF guys to contribute to this one, as I'm far away, and I just can't follow the game like many of you obviously do, and do in a very thorough fashion. I'd love to hear your opinions.

On to the question: Which rookie players are you excited about this year, and will surprise or really excel in rookie camp and this season? Not guys that will be good in 2 years, or 4, but players who might surprise and excel now.

And by surprise and excel I do not mean making the big club, I mean exceeding everyone's expectations to a surprising degree this year, including Habs management.

Here is my list, but it is very limited because I just don't see enough of any of these guys live. Some of you guys do though, so let's hear it.

1. Goalies: Jeez, I have no clue guys. Will a rookie goalie surprise us this year? Who do you like? Is Mayer going to do a Halak?

2. Dmen: I can only pick one guy, Diaz, as a potential surprise at camp and in the AHL this year. Yeah of course I'm excited about Tinordi in 2 years, and Beaulieu in 2 years, but this year, Diaz is the only guy I'm excited about. And what's this buzz about Darren Dietz? For real? What do you guys think?

3. Forwards: This is where I get kind of worried. I think we're short a few bricks here guys. Gallagher I like. I just like what I hear and see. I'm less and less excited about Kristo. Avtsin is still in diapers. Palushaj? Yeah seems he might be a player in a couple of years...but meh. LL of course, but I'm not wetting my pants, I thinks he's a Carbonneau in the making by the way, which is very damn good, but not that thrilling this year.

Where are the rookie forwards that will grab us by the throat this year though? I don't see any, but I hope you guys do.

Now inform me!

Last edited by bsl: 09-03-2011 at 11:03 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:34 AM
pine*

Subban
Eller
Weber
Pacioretty

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:43 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Subban
Eller
Weber
Pacioretty
Hee Hee! OK fair enough smart arse! I understand your point, we have very good young players on the Habs right now. I did not say I was not excited about those guys, because I am. But my definition of Rookie no longer includes those guys.

Old
09-03-2011, 10:45 AM
habsjunkie2*

Yemelin by a country mile.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:49 AM
habitue*

Must be Yemelin...

I don't see any other who have played 0 game yet with the Habs and that could have an impact.

But I have some expectations about Eller and Desharnais.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:51 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Yemelin by a country mile.
I don't consider Yemelin as a potential surprise. He's what, 25, and KHL experienced. I don't expect him to make the team for sure, but I will not be at all surprised if he does.

My question was not: Who's the best rookie? My question was: Which rookie in the system might surprise us?

Old
09-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I don't consider Yemelin as a potential surprise. He's what, 25, and KHL experienced. I don't expect him to make the team for sure, but I will not be at all surprised if he does.

My question was not: Who's the best rookie? My question was: Which rookie in the system might surprise us?
By in the system, are you speaking more about the players that are currently on the outside looking in? Or are you talking specifically about who is on the current roster at this moment?

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 10:58 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

My answer is still Yemelin. If you concede his chances of making the big club are still in question and he ends up being a top 3 or 4 dman from the onset, would you not be surprised?

Yemelin without a doubt is the biggest question mark, he could be anywhere from on the AHL roster to an adequate replacement for Hamrlik. Diaz will be lucky to see action at all.

Old
09-03-2011, 10:59 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
By in the system, are you speaking more about the players that are currently on the outside looking in? Or are you talking specifically about who is on the current roster at this moment?
Sorry, should have been clear: I am not talking about Habs Roster players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
My answer is still Yemelin. If you concede his chances of making the big club are still in question and he ends up being a top 3 or 4 dman from the onset, would you not be surprised?

Yemelin without a doubt is the biggest question mark, he could be anywhere from on the AHL roster to an adequate replacement for Hamrlik. Diaz will be lucky to see action at all.
This is the sort of reply I was hoping to get. You're right, Yemelin could surprise more than anyone, by failing utterly, or becoming a top 4 guy this year, I buy that.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 09-03-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Merged
Old
09-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Sorry, should have been clear: I am not talking about Habs Roster players.
Thanks for the clear up.

Quote:
This is the sort of reply I was hoping to get. You're right, Yemelin could surprise more than anyone, by failing utterly, or becoming a top 4 guy this year, I buy that.
Very fair answer, and something I was thinking as well. Other players I think could make a surprise are;

Brendan Gallagher: Already an offensive player with great numbers down in the WHL, but his skating is still something he needs to work on. He has a good attitude and he knows as well as everyone else that he needs to work on it, so I think he comes out with some new wheels and really surprises poeple.

Peter Delmas: I expect him to challenge and possibly land a job with the Bulldogs. Did a phenomenal job with Wheeling and has a great work ethic.

Raphael Diaz: Fully expect him to do exceptionally well in Hamilton and be among the first to get called up, due to injuries. He was labelled the best defenseman available in Switzerland (excluding Streit since he is already an NHLer). I think he comes out strong in the AHL and really shocks people.

Aaron Palushaj: Has the tools and I have the feeling he is going to have an amazing season in Hamilton. Like Diaz, he'll be one of the first to get called up.

Andrew Conboy: My dark horse pick to have a good season in Hamilton. He has the tools to make a decent bottom 6 player in the NHL, but seemed to take a step back after losing that fight to Laraque a few years ago. He didn't have that confidence to his game anymore and really disappointed. I think he can regain that confidence by having a great year and becoming a role player for the Habs in a year or two. That of course is the best case scenario.

I'd like to include Mitera and Blunden into the equation, but I haven't seen much of their play to say anything. With that said, I'll definitely have my eyes on the both of them this year, in Hamilton.

Old
09-03-2011, 11:27 AM
durojean

i was going to say desharnais because i think that by the end of the year he is gonna be in the top six.

But, maybe Wilsie or Blunden could surprise if there's injuries to one of Cole, Pacioretty or Kostitsyn. I see a guy like Blunden replacing them (because he is the same kind of player) and he could do well

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Thanks for the clear up.

Very fair answer, and something I was thinking as well. Other players I think could make a surprise are;

Brendan Gallagher: Already an offensive player with great numbers down in the WHL, but his skating is still something he needs to work on. He has a good attitude and he knows as well as everyone else that he needs to work on it, so I think he comes out with some new wheels and really surprises poeple.

Peter Delmas: I expect him to challenge and possibly land a job with the Bulldogs. Did a phenomenal job with Wheeling and has a great work ethic.

Raphael Diaz: Fully expect him to do exceptionally well in Hamilton and be among the first to get called up, due to injuries. He was labelled the best defenseman available in Switzerland (excluding Streit since he is already an NHLer). I think he comes out strong in the AHL and really shocks people.

Aaron Palushaj: Has the tools and I have the feeling he is going to have an amazing season in Hamilton. Like Diaz, he'll be one of the first to get called up.

Andrew Conboy: My dark horse pick to have a good season in Hamilton. He has the tools to make a decent bottom 6 player in the NHL, but seemed to take a step back after losing that fight to Laraque a few years ago. He didn't have that confidence to his game anymore and really disappointed. I think he can regain that confidence by having a great year and becoming a role player for the Habs in a year or two. That of course is the best case scenario.

I'd like to include Mitera and Blunden into the equation, but I haven't seen much of their play to say anything. With that said, I'll definitely have my eyes on the both of them this year, in Hamilton.
Conboy never fought Laraque.

Are you talking about the defenseman Andrew Archer ? He is no longer in the organization.

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
Conboy never fought Laraque.

Are you talking about the defenseman Andrew Archer ? He is no longer in the organization.
Was it? For some reason, I always thought it was Conboy. Looking back now, you're right. I even remember telling myself, "I hope the Laraque fight didn't play a part in him leaving."

Stupid mistake on my part.

Old
09-03-2011, 12:42 PM
marvelousmotion

Of course, I'm looking forward to see Yemelin play in the NHL like the most of you do..

But for fun, wild card pick for me:

Mark Mitera: It'll be interesting to see how he does at training camp and follow his development in Hamilton. He was selected by Anaheim right before Montreal drafted David Fischer, I wouldn't be surprised if he was on Timmins' radar back then. Even though it seems like he won't ever live up to his expectations as a 1st rounder, I wouldn't write him off as an NHLer yet. He could blossom into a decent bottom pairing stay-at-home defenceman if he puts it together. Hopefully a new team and new environment can do wonders for him and perhaps he can forget about his slow development in the past few years filled with injury problems, overcome them and work hard on his future. The reason he is my pick as a wild card is because the organization lacks steady physical stay-at-home defencemen and Mitera has the tools to become one. The closest prospect of that kind would be Tinordi and he is still years away from the NHL. Concerns about Mitera are that the latest reports on him are not great; it seems that he has not been playing as physical and his defensive play has not been impressive. Those were his two main assets when he was drafted; maybe it has to do with the injury problems and a lack of confidence coming back from it? It'll be interesting to see if he can recover and develop into a better player than Jeff Wotwitka...

marvelousmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:44 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Yemelin for me.

Has the potential to make a huge impact on this team.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

Those posters who put Yemelin and AHL inthe same sentence must be using unwound cuckoo clocks to tell time. Yemelin has the right to split to Russia if he doesn't make the Habs' roster. IMO he will be a regular right from the start of the season (unless he's injured).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:56 PM
bsl

Quote:
Thanks for the clear up.

Perfect. That's the educated info I was looking for. Thanks!

Old
09-03-2011, 01:00 PM
PATCHESx67

----> Yemelin <-----

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:06 PM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelousmotion View Post
Of course, I'm looking forward to see Yemelin play in the NHL like the most of you do..

But for fun, wild card pick for me:

Mark Mitera: It'll be interesting to see how he does at training camp and follow his development in Hamilton. He was selected by Anaheim right before Montreal drafted David Fischer, I wouldn't be surprised if he was on Timmins' radar back then. Even though it seems like he won't ever live up to his expectations as a 1st rounder, I wouldn't write him off as an NHLer yet. He could blossom into a decent bottom pairing stay-at-home defenceman if he puts it together. Hopefully a new team and new environment can do wonders for him and perhaps he can forget about his slow development in the past few years filled with injury problems, overcome them and work hard on his future. The reason he is my pick as a wild card is because the organization lacks steady physical stay-at-home defencemen and Mitera has the tools to become one. The closest prospect of that kind would be Tinordi and he is still years away from the NHL. Concerns about Mitera are that the latest reports on him are not great; it seems that he has not been playing as physical and his defensive play has not been impressive. Those were his two main assets when he was drafted; maybe it has to do with the injury problems and a lack of confidence coming back from it? It'll be interesting to see if he can recover and develop into a better player than Jeff Wotwitka...
Good one. I was meh on Mitts (New nickname alert) because a lot of you guys were not impressed, and I had not heard of any progress myself. This picks up my interest a little, but I can't imagine the Ducks would let a big guy like him go unless they were sure he was crap.

Old
09-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Subban76

Tinordi. I hope he turns into a replica of his dad.

I miss having that big mofo on the backend that other players are scared off and will avoid at all costs. A real punisher

He brings that special thing we miss. I'm excited about the other rookies as well, but they are replacements to some of our vets, they don't bring something new or different that we are missing.

Quote:
Good one. I was meh on Mitts (New nickname alert) because a lot of you guys were not impressed, and I had not heard of any progress myself. This picks up my interest a little, but I can't imagine the Ducks would let a big guy like him go unless they were sure he was crap.
Sometime all a player needs is a change of scenary. Not saying he will turn out to be great, but lets wait and see...

Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-03-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: merged
Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Max Levine

I agree with Teufel that Emelin will obviously make the team. I do believe that expectations should be high enough in his case and that he can only be a surprise if he becomes one of the top defenseman on the team.

The rookie I am waiting for is Diaz. I will definitely follow his progress in Hamilton and hope to see him in Montreal before the holidays.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:20 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Thanks for the clear up.

Dont know Delmas much but fully agree with the other players on your list.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Any chance Blunden makes this team?

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:29 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Those posters who put Yemelin and AHL inthe same sentence must be using unwound cuckoo clocks to tell time. Yemelin has the right to split to Russia if he doesn't make the Habs' roster. IMO he will be a regular right from the start of the season (unless he's injured).
Guess what, if he's not good enough, he won't be on the NHL roster. Make of that what you will.

Old
09-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Any chance Blunden makes this team?
Possible as a 13th forward. Likely a call-up. I'd wager he sees NHL action this year. Big, fast, some fundamentals--nice attributes to have in a fourth liner.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote