HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks invite F Steve Begin to Training Camp

Old
09-02-2011, 07:10 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
I think he is insurance in case Nolan can't go.

Gillis is sensibly addressing a long standing issue. This is a good thing! Canucks didn't run out of Dmen this year. They won't be pushed about next year. Eventually he'll address goaltending.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

vCash: 500
Let the puns begin...

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:42 PM
jammyrft

correct me if I'm wrong here MG but....

2 HUGE reasons we lost the last 3 years playoff's in a row were because weren't tough enough (mostly physically but mentally too), and we were very injured and not durable enough...

Last year we FINALLY had a LEGIT 3rd line based around Torres and Malholtra. It seemed most of the year Torres was the only intimidating forward we had who would actually try and hit people. So this year we lose Torres which makes us less tough and we gain more old, non durable, injury prone guys like Bitz, Sturm and give PTO's to Nolan, Fedoruk, Begin...all of who havn't played high level hockey in like 2-3 years. Most of them are so injury prone they can't complete a whole season (let alone a grinding cup run).

What the hell's going on here? we could have passed on a Sturm skating with no knee's, an old Nolan who hasn't played NHL hockey in 2 years, a punching bag in Fedoruk who's one good fight away from losing his life, a old plug in Begin who hasn't played a solid season in almost 2 years when we COULD sign a guy like WINCHESTER who can decently play and add's grit who can take on opponents tough guys.

I am disappoint

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:02 PM
danyhabsfan

I think he could do well if he plays some games for the nucks this season.

I think he could feed from energy from the crowd in Vancouver like Lapierre did.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:58 PM
canada1824

Send a message via Skype™ to canada1824
there's energy in the crowd at Rogers Arena?

colour me surprised

canada1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
What the hell's going on here? we could have passed on a Sturm skating with no knee's, an old Nolan who hasn't played NHL hockey in 2 years, a punching bag in Fedoruk who's one good fight away from losing his life, a old plug in Begin who hasn't played a solid season in almost 2 years when we COULD sign a guy like WINCHESTER who can decently play and add's grit who can take on opponents tough guys.

I am disappoint
Three of the four "disappointed" signings you listed by Gillis are on *tryout contracts*. They have ZERO effect on who else Gillis can sign (re: cap).

Look I wasn't exactly thrilled with the Sturm signing, but we lost in the Finals because we couldn't score goals period. Our bottom six weren't the problem; it's that the top six weren't scoring - which led to the Bruins being able to take even more liberties as the threat of being scored upon on a resulting power play against them was nill.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
correct me if I'm wrong here MG but....

I am disappoint
ok, well, I'll correct you anyways

first, Winchester cannot play, most of his goals come on the powerplay standing in front of the net, I'm sure that most of those bounced off of him without him even noticing

second, he does not add grit, find me a fight that he actually has won, he's like a bigger and slower Taylor Pyatt without the hockey sense... no offense to Taylor, but he never quite found that power game

third, explain to me when exactly Marco Sturm has not been a top six forward, he says he is healthy and feels good and ready to play either wing, that should be really good news, we have basically added another Burrows level player, fast, two way ability, clutch, for about the same money. The Sturm detractors will never live it down, he is quality....

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

I agree, Sturm's wicked. Could easily score 25 if he's on the second line. He's going to look like a great value by the end of the season.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 04:22 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
ok, well, I'll correct you anyways

first, Winchester cannot play, most of his goals come on the powerplay standing in front of the net, I'm sure that most of those bounced off of him without him even noticing

second, he does not add grit, find me a fight that he actually has won, he's like a bigger and slower Taylor Pyatt without the hockey sense... no offense to Taylor, but he never quite found that power game

third, explain to me when exactly Marco Sturm has not been a top six forward, he says he is healthy and feels good and ready to play either wing, that should be really good news, we have basically added another Burrows level player, fast, two way ability, clutch, for about the same money. The Sturm detractors will never live it down, he is quality....

good try I guess, but you didn't prove me wrong. Compared to Fedoruk, Begin, Glass, Bolduc, Desbien, Oreskovich, Pinnizzotto, mancari, Volpatti, Duco or whoever else you want to put in a 4th line role Winchester is GOLD!

he is the only guy on that list that has been able to sustain a job in the NHL. Then you speak like because the guy has PP goals they don't count! but ask yourself how did he get on the PP in the first place? He has more career goals than probably all of those players combined and HE DOES HIT!! I remember last year he almost turned Glass into dust with a big hit on the boards. He would be our biggest player on the ice and he can/will step up to fight. Sure he doesn't win them all but if you wanna see a real punching bag look up Fedoruk's fights. That coupled with the fact that out of all those players mentioned I can confidently say he would smash any one of them. so ask youself, who would you rather have on your 4th line?

I will explain to you when Sturm wasn't a top 6 player and it's really quite easy...

FOR 2 YEARS IN A ROW!!!!! my point was we obviously have durability/injury problems (see last 3 playoff runs in a row) and we sign a guy making more than Burrows and hasn't played a regular season for 2 years because he HAS NO KNEE'S!! this just adds to our injury problem

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

I could see the Canucks signing Begin to a two way as an injury call up for Lappy or Manny. Veteran presence who might also help guide what is mostly NHL inexperienced depth down the middle.

Depth down the middle would be at 10 I believe with Henrik Kes Manny Lappy Hodgson Ebbett Schroeder Pinizotto and Schneider and Rai.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Konflickter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Eventually he'll address goaltending.
How do you suppose he does that? Luongo's not going anywhere and he doesn't want to trade Schneider.

Konflickter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 03:24 PM
TLinden16
Horse

Begin is a warrior. Good addition to camp, hopefully he's ok with a two way in the AHL and some call-up time.

Nolan-Begin-Oreskovich would be a nasty line to see out there, much rather see Lapierre centering it but it'll be a pleasant change from Bolduc/Bliznak.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Win One Before I Die
The Keg or bust

Man I can't wait to see how greasy our 4th line is next year.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:41 PM
crazyforhockey

I think this is a insurance PTO... primairly for what he brings...esp shorthanded ice time..

we did lose glass and Raymond till Nov?... and more importantly I think they would like to ease some SH TOI from kesler ....

Keslers workload is pretty heavy he played 2nd most minutes of any centerman last year
14th overall on SH TOI ...ie most of those centerman are 4th and 3rd liners.

Kesler's 5th for PP time and for EV TOI was 18th.....(consider he is a 2nd line center)

Now some of those minutes were caused by malholtra's injury and alot of injured dmen throughout the season..

so even with full season of higgins, lapierre hopefully Malholtra too ...still hink they want some more insurance to cover those SH minutes leaving him more for his power game-offensivley.......esp with some upgrades for 2nd line now(strm,higgins,?) and trade deadline possibilities(or early trade)

If Begin has tough time getting icetime he may end up in minors till needed(if signed)... again added insurance

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I was actually interested in this guy 3 years or so ago when we picked up Ryan Johnson instead for that 4th line centre spot. With Lapierre having pretty much solidified himself on the fourth line now though, and Begin having declined fairly noticeably since I don't really see a spot for him on the Canucks short of injury.

Fictional Realism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 01:34 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

This may have been mentioned but teams are required to have a certain number of veterans dressed for each pre-season game. With all our injuries, I have a feeling some of these PTO's are simply a move to address that issue.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2011, 04:15 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
This may have been mentioned but teams are required to have a certain number of veterans dressed for each pre-season game. With all our injuries, I have a feeling some of these PTO's are simply a move to address that issue.
nail on the head, i'd say. for some of these guys at least. although Begin is one of the few who i could actually see earning a contract if things go well...and he's willing to agree to a 2-way type deal. the PK and faceoff ability he brings would be a great insurance policy to have around. and who knows, maybe he sticks out of camp like Schaefer last year and surprises everyone for a little while.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote