HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Nail Yakupov: How much of an attempt...

Old
07-05-2011, 03:34 PM
checkerdome

vCash: 500
Nail Yakupov: How much of an attempt...

...should the KHL make to keep him in Russia?

Would it be possible for a KHL owner to offer Yakupov enough for him to bypass the NHL?

Seems to me the KHL would make a helluva "statement" about its status if they could keep a young marquee player; who some predict will be the first overall NHL pick next June, at home.

My apologies(and please disregard this post) if the topic has already been dealt with.

checkerdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:27 AM
pouskin74*

i dont think they care about him right now because he isnt in Russia but they will try to keep Nichuskin( big prospect for 2013).

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:08 AM
The Saw Is the Law

I think KHL already lost him. You can't keep him in Russia because he is already playing in Canada

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:13 AM
smitty10

I don't see it happening. The NHL seems to be the dream of most Russian kids and I think with Yakupov coming over to NA for the year that basically says that he wants to play in the NHL.

I think that even most Russian's think of the KHL as a place to go if you can't make the NHL or if a guy wants a last big payday before retirement. Of course there are exceptions (Radulov, etc), but I think most young Russian's would rather try their luck in the NHL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:44 AM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
i dont think they care about him right now because he isnt in Russia but they will try to keep Nichuskin( big prospect for 2013).
That Yakupov is playing in North America is a very good point that
Saw/Law and Smitty also bring up.

His preferred intention would appear to be tipped off by that gesture.

"Pouskin"; I haven't run across the name Nichuskin before.

I googled his name unsuccessfully.

Are there any sites you can direct me to for information on him?

Thanks for the information.

Old
07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
...should the KHL make to keep him in Russia?

Would it be possible for a KHL owner to offer Yakupov enough for him to bypass the NHL?

Seems to me the KHL would make a helluva "statement" about its status if they could keep a young marquee player; who some predict will be the first overall NHL pick next June, at home.

My apologies(and please disregard this post) if the topic has already been dealt with.
This is just stupid to try and lure guys away from the NHL just for some political reasons. He should play where he wants to. They can offer him a lot of money for sure but that's not the point for him now I think. He'll be in the NHL.

By the way we'll have a lot of young talented players stay in Russia anyway as they go undrafted inthe NHL. It will be much harder for the NHL teams to get this guy later as a free agent when he'll already have some KHL seasons under his belt and lucrative offers at home.

I think there are currently 3 possible scenarios for young russian players.

1. The guy is in a system of a KHL franchise where he barely gets ice time. So he goes to NA early and gets to the NHL then after playing in NA junior leagues.

2. The guy somehow gets to the big club in the KHL and is succesfull there. Although he's drafted in the NHL he goes over to NA only after some seasons in the KHL.

3. The guy stays undrafted in the NHL and plays in Russia for some seasons regardless of the situation on the club in the KHL as he has no better choice obviously. Some of them will stay, some of them will sign as FAs with some NHL team at some point(Bobrovsky).

As for the undrafted guys. there are some players among them who definitely would get drafted if there wasn't the 'russian factor'. Some of them are future stars.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I don't see it happening. The NHL seems to be the dream of most Russian kids and I think with Yakupov coming over to NA for the year that basically says that he wants to play in the NHL.

I think that even most Russian's think of the KHL as a place to go if you can't make the NHL or if a guy wants a last big payday before retirement. Of course there are exceptions (Radulov, etc), but I think most young Russian's would rather try their luck in the NHL.
They have to say that in interviews because of the 'russian factor'. I think their dream is to become a star player with a big contract. That doesn't need to be in the NHL. It's known though that it's prety tough to get ice time for a young player in Russia. Some franchises are especially known for this. That' exactly Yakupov's case btw. They just chose the best option for them. For some players it's NA obviously.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:50 PM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
depends...if they cant play 1-2 lines then they will turn back to Russia.

Last edited by pouskin74*: 07-07-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old
07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post

"Pouskin"; I haven't run across the name Nichuskin before.

I googled his name unsuccessfully.

Are there any sites you can direct me to for information on him?

Thanks for the information.
Valery Nichuskin
Born-04.03.1995
6.3 and 180
position-center
Nr.25
He was one of the leaders the Team Russia U16 in last season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tWsAEbe3JU ( goal by Nichuskin at 2.25)
He played for teams Traktor 94( 33 games, 33+28=61 points) and Traktor 95(13 games, 12+17=29 points)in last season , which belongs to Chelyabinsk Traktor(KHL). he will play in MHL (Belie Medvedi) next year. Likes to play around the net, great hands and good wrist shot.

Last edited by pouskin74*: 07-07-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old
07-07-2011, 02:34 PM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
Valery Nichuskin
Born-04.03.1995
6.3 and 180
position-center
Nr.25
He was one of the leaders the Team Russia U16 in last season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tWsAEbe3JU ( goal by Nichuskin at 2.25)
He played for teams Traktor 94( 33 games, 33+28=61 points) and Traktor 95(13 games, 12+17=29 points)in last season , which belongs to Chelyabinsk Traktor(KHL). he will play in MHL (Belie Medvedi) next year. Likes to play around the net, great hands and good wrist shot.

Impressive goal at 2:25 by number 25 in dark blue.

He sure looks big; and at the 6'3", 180 lbs. you quoted, he obviously must be hard to move out from in front of the net.

Soft hands.

Reminds me(albeit from this one clip) of Phil Esposito, although he seems to move around better.

Thanks! I'll be keeping an eye out for any information about him.

I guess there is no non-Russian language site(wiki or otherwise) that features him?

Old
08-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Seems like the KHL has already lost him. I expect him to be playing in the NHL next year

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Here is a crazy scenario. Lets say Nail is picked #1 overall in the 2012 draft and then bolts to the KHL. Would the NHL step in? Would the team that picked him be compensated with the #1 overall in 2013?

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:09 AM
yunost

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Here is a crazy scenario. Lets say Nail is picked #1 overall in the 2012 draft and then bolts to the KHL. Would the NHL step in? Would the team that picked him be compensated with the #1 overall in 2013?
Not at all. The NHL draft is to distribute the players rights between the 30 teams. If he would leave to the KHL that would have no impact on anything; the team would still retain his NHL rights.
Thats why so many Russians get neglected in the NHL draft. The GM's are not convinced of their full commitment to the NHL. Obviously in the case of Yakupov, he has demonstrated explicitly that he is staying in North America.

yunost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:25 PM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Not at all. The NHL draft is to distribute the players rights between the 30 teams. If he would leave to the KHL that would have no impact on anything; the team would still retain his NHL rights.
Thats why so many Russians get neglected in the NHL draft. The GM's are not convinced of their full commitment to the NHL. Obviously in the case of Yakupov, he has demonstrated explicitly that he is staying in North America.
Very true.

I recall the Buffalo Sabres drafting Jiří Dudáček 17th overall in the 1981 draft.

...As Czechoslovakia was a Communist country at the time of Dudáček's drafting, bringing him to North America was a difficult proposition for the Sabre organization. Dudáček's father was also a high-ranking Communist party member...

...Dudáček never made it to North America to play for the Sabre organization. Instead, he spent his career playing for HC Kladno and HC Jihlava in the Czechoslovak Extraliga, until his retirement in 1991...

No thought was ever given(at least not officially) to compensating the Sabres for that fruitless 1st round pick.

Nail Yakupov, though, would no doubt be drafted no lower than the top 3 overall.