HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trouble at CKAC

Old
09-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Beatnik

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Man this is sad...I'm sure gonna miss Dub, Mcguire, Fournier and the morning show.
You'll hear them on 98.5, except the morning show of course.

The 98.5 basically become what CKAC was 7 years ago...

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
You gotta be ****ing kidding me. Villeneuve survives. Unreal.
Barely. If it's indeed true that his show starts at 6:30....who listens to radio at that time anyway?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 04:53 PM
HABitual Fan

With talk of Bell creating an RDS radio station or network, it is just a matter of time before TEAM990 becomes TSN radio like they did in Toronto. The next step after that is to kill most of the local content and start punping in "national" shows aka Torontocentric to increase the profit line. They just need to look back to when the TEAM was doing the same and had nobody listening, it was only after they killed the national broadcasts and turned it over to local broadcasters that they attracted listeners here. Sure some shows may work, but overall Montreal does not want to be fed content similar to the way Sportscenter on TSN covers Montreal teams.

HABitual Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 05:25 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
With talk of Bell creating an RDS radio station or network, it is just a matter of time before TEAM990 becomes TSN radio like they did in Toronto. The next step after that is to kill most of the local content and start punping in "national" shows aka Torontocentric to increase the profit line. They just need to look back to when the TEAM was doing the same and had nobody listening, it was only after they killed the national broadcasts and turned it over to local broadcasters that they attracted listeners here. Sure some shows may work, but overall Montreal does not want to be fed content similar to the way Sportscenter on TSN covers Montreal teams.
To be fair, the TEAM990 already does that with the ESPN radio content as well as Bob McCown's show. A little, but they still do.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 06:17 PM
coolasprICE

team990 is succeeding not just because they are local, but because they are also appealing to the younger local sports fan. CKAC imo failed with the latter.

The difference in the two is 990 programming provides content, humor and wit.... that younger listeners can relate to... particularly younger anglo males who sometimes feel disconnected to other local media options...

s for Bell and Torontofication of 990 -- not going to happen. The savings of ridding local programming won't outweigh the costs of syndicating toronto radio.

Bell has been very competent to date with it's growth strategies -- they might have crappy customer service but they are very smart when it comes to doing what's best for their bottom line.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
team990 is succeeding not just because they are local, but because they are also appealing to the younger local sports fan. CKAC imo failed with the latter.

The difference in the two is 990 programming provides content, humor and wit.... that younger listeners can relate to... particularly younger anglo males who sometimes feel disconnected to other local media options...

s for Bell and Torontofication of 990 -- not going to happen. The savings of ridding local programming won't outweigh the costs of syndicating toronto radio.

Bell has been very competent to date with it's growth strategies -- they might have crappy customer service but they are very smart when it comes to doing what's best for their bottom line.
Personnally, while I like the guy, I'm rarely satisfied when I listen to the Melnick show. I mean, I was not a regular, but everytime I listened in, he was rarely talking about sports. Always chitchatting about whatever. While I used to like the morning show, while I like their chemistry and all, rarely will I like the show when Casavant is not in. 'Cause again, Starr and Price will also do a whole lot of talk for nothing but when Casavant is in, it's way more business. And they still can be funny and intereting in the same time.

Where I will disagree with the majority here is that I like the Marinaro show a lot even if I don't always agree with him. Yet, there's not a whole lot of talk for nothing and he has really interesting people on. The Trotz interview today was great. Never knew Trotz was that interesting...especially by watching him behind a bench.

So Team 990 has a lot of pros and cons as well as far as I'm concerned. Just like CKACSports. Funny thing though is that a whole lot of people hated CKACSports...yet continued talking about it and reporting what was said....So I guess we love to listen to something we hate....And honestly, the haters will miss that....

Old
09-02-2011, 07:47 PM
JackZap

Quote:

trust me, younger ppl listened to CKAC. This has to do with the fact that the govt is dumping a ******** of money into the station.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:08 PM
HabsUnited

Yeah, Melnick and Tieman sure do bring in that younger crowd...

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
trust me, younger ppl listened to CKAC. This has to do with the fact that the govt is dumping a ******** of money into the station.
Yea what this has anything to do with age? You like sport they talk about sports, that's it.

Everytime someone talk about younger demo I think about Twilight and general shallowness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Man this is sad...I'm sure gonna miss Dub, Mcguire, Fournier and the morning show.
Fournier is gonna be retained, I think. The two stars (Villeneuve, Fournier) stays on the other channel although I don't know in what fonctions. And they will keep having the Habs so possibly Dub and Maguire will do them.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 09-02-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Merged
Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:27 PM
deandebean

Quote:

Team990 isn't very successful. A 2.5 english market share is damn poor. Dead last in english radio.

CKAC, last winter, had a 3.2 share, a significant drop from a year before. 3rd from last place. Not the greatest either.

Let's face it: sports ain't sellin' in Montreal.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:28 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Personnally, while I like the guy, I'm rarely satisfied when I listen to the Melnick show. I mean, I was not a regular, but everytime I listened in, he was rarely talking about sports. Always chitchatting about whatever.
I agree, Melnick does sidetrack , and in no way is he ''the king of sports talk radio''. But he's not outdated. He knows what's going on, has an opinion, is sarcastic and critical ... I like his interviews, and frankly, he has a brain.

When he does get sidetracked, it's often with topics that are related to LOCAL events / people, or about some crappy service he has at a local cafe, or about biking in the city, or traffic, or whatever.... It's things like that make Melnick a "Montrealer" , one that anglos can relate to.

Quote:
While I used to like the morning show, while I like their chemistry and all, rarely will I like the show when Casavant is not in. 'Cause again, Starr and Price will also do a whole lot of talk for nothing but when Casavant is in, it's way more business. And they still can be funny and intereting in the same time.
I enjoyed listening to Tony on the morning show, as their replacement.

Quote:

Where I will disagree with the majority here is that I like the Marinaro show a lot even if I don't always agree with him. Yet, there's not a whole lot of talk for nothing and he has really interesting people on. The Trotz interview today was great. Never knew Trotz was that interesting...especially by watching him behind a bench.
I completely agree...

Quote:

So Team 990 has a lot of pros and cons as well as far as I'm concerned. Just like CKACSports. Funny thing though is that a whole lot of people hated CKACSports...yet continued talking about it and reporting what was said....So I guess we love to listen to something we hate....And honestly, the haters will miss that....
But for every hate, there's maybe 5 people who simply have ignored the station. I believe success relies more on attracting listeners that connect with the content and personality versus listening for the sake of ridiculing the commentators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
I think the station that eventually replaces CKAC will be put together by bell, and will provide personalities and content that younger people would listen to.

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to lure Tony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUnited View Post
Yeah, Melnick and Tieman sure do bring in that younger crowd...
Melnick isn't bad imo. He appeals to maybe a slightly older crowd.

But I have to agree with you 100% on Tieman - nice guy and all,but way too damn jolly and santa... but he really doesn't deserve a show... most people are working or doing something during 1 and 3... thankfully.

Tieman should have a football show -- just because he sounds like the closest thing to an old big jolly american football commentor on the team990.

Old
09-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Tony for the younger crowd?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 08:34 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Team990 isn't very successful. A 2.5 english market share is damn poor. Dead last in english radio.

CKAC, last winter, had a 3.2 share, a significant drop from a year before. 3rd from last place. Not the greatest either.

990 is attracting what it can out of this market.

Those numbers will change drastically now that they have the Habs. You also have to remember, that most listeners of AM radio are old ladies who listen to CJAD cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Tony for the younger crowd?
you're telling me the 19 yr old st.leonard kids aren't tuning in to ''Tony!!!''

??

Laugh what you want, he attracts young listeners...

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 09-02-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Merged
Old
09-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Garry Valk

I love Marinaro. And Melnick. Both great, IMO. And I'm "younger."

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:11 PM
JackZap

Quote:
990 is attracting what it can out of this market.

Those numbers will change drastically now that they have the Habs. You also have to remember, that most listeners of AM radio are old ladies who listen to CJAD cheese.

you're telling me the 19 yr old st.leonard kids aren't tuning in to ''Tony!!!''

??

Laugh what you want, he attracts young listeners...
Tonys french isnt good enough to moderate a show all by himself. He can be a compliment but not the main guy unless his french gets better. CkAC problem wasnt the young crowd, id be curious to see what their ratings were. Obviously summer is slow but not uncommon for ppl to wait 1 hour plus just to get on air during the winter.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:20 PM
JOKER 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUnited View Post
Like Villeneuve or not, I'm sure he gets ratings. Personally I think he's funny.
I don't care for him either but apperently he is very popular both among his peers and listeners .

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 10:27 PM
JOKER 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
Thank god, he is one of the guys I liked.
Really? he had coke bottle homer glasses on 24/7,I liked Langevin the only one on CKAC who didn't wear any and called a spade a spade .

JOKER 192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post

It''s hard in summer with no MLB team. But, Team990 works, because it's not a full out Sports station like Fan590 in Toronto per say. 990 is also a sorta Pop Culture.Sports station & very unique to Montreal. With The Habs they'll be around as liong as there are Anglos in Montreal, lets hope that's for life!

990 is also really caller & E-Mail friendly/driven, so we are the show.

Last edited by Player 61: 09-03-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
TheBuriedHab

During Hockey season, 990 is the best. Tony Marinaro is basically a fan like us, has some decent guests and his show is entertaining. Love his post games shows too. I pass on the Tieman show, boring stuff. Talks fishing and golf alot, ugh. Melnick is the best because of his guests. Having guys like Stephen Brunt, Pierre Mcguire and Elliot Friedman make that show amazing. And now that they have habs games they are even better.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Player 61
#Winning

I'll give you another reason why Sports radio works in English in Montreal & not in French. I work well in the City with my Franco counterparts. Heh! Were all Bilingual.

But when the Anglo's are together were talking/watching boxing, NCAA football, betting, etc.... The Anglo's of Montreal make relations with all North America & all the sports it offers. So we have much more too talk about. Not just the Habs, even though they are #1!!!! :-)

Old
09-03-2011, 05:08 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
I'll give you another reason why Sports radio works in English in Montreal & not in French. I work well in the City with my Franco counterparts. Heh! Were all Bilingual.

But when the Anglo's are together were talking/watching boxing, NCAA football, betting, etc.... The Anglo's of Montreal make relations with all North America & all the sports it offers. So we have much more too talk about. Not just the Habs, even though they are #1!!!! :-)
So i don't follow boxing,baseball and football because i speak french first? brillant.

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
So i don't follow boxing,baseball and football because i speak french first? brillant.
Most percentage don't. Some in Montreal do, but not enough... Let Me ask you a question, do you and your friends get together on weekend to watch NCAA Basketball & Football? BIG 10-12? Gonzaga?

If half the energy was into more sports & less trying to change names of BIG BOX store names...... Let me tell you!

I'm just not surprised it failed, but the main talk will still be available on other stations En Francais. It just couldn't be covered 24/7, like in English. No dis respect at all.

Last edited by Player 61: 09-03-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old
09-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post

Sorry, that doesn't cut it. Anybody who listened to the Morning Show at Team 990 just this week, heard Price said that it's awfully tough to talk about sports during summer time. That with no MLB team, a CFL team that plays once a week, a soccer team that plays from time to time but again not at a major level, with hockey being THE main subject, they have a tough time making their shows interesting. The Anglos seems to think so to.

Don't tell me that there are Anglos only who are following Bute and Co. Don't tell me they are the only ones at the Als game or Impact game either. It is tougher in the summer for everybody. Hockey is #1, #2 and #3 whether you speak french or english.

Old
09-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry, that doesn't cut it. Anybody who listened to the Morning Show at Team 990 just this week, heard Price said that it's awfully tough to talk about sports during summer time. That with no MLB team, a CFL team that plays once a week, a soccer team that plays from time to time but again not at a major level, with hockey being THE main subject, they have a tough time making their shows interesting. The Anglos seems to think so to.

Don't tell me that there are Anglos only who are following Bute and Co. Don't tell me they are the only ones at the Als game or Impact game either. It is tougher in the summer for everybody. Hockey is #1, #2 and #3 whether you speak french or english.
Depends what you do. We can't speak for all Montreal. I do eve work mostly, But when I'm off I love the Morning show in summer, they let me know what the Dodgers(Go Kemp) are doing & yes! we want to know. I bet a lot of people don't even know that The Pittsburgh Pirates have a Montreal Born player in their lineup! Why not? The Montreal'er is a Pitcher, check GUYS! CHECK! Do your homework....

There are a lot of Anglo's that follow Mitch, The Morning Show, Marinaro & yes even even Randy. he's the Golf guy & his slot is perfect.

Why should people care about stats. the stats are high in Winter & the product costs less. Let it be....

Last edited by Player 61: 09-03-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old
09-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Newhabfan

I listened to CKAC a lot and while I'm a bit sad to hear it's gone, it was well deserved. Having 18 hours of sports talk per day with their meager resources only meant one thing - lower quality. There was so much filler, artificial controversy, people refusing to grow... The Habs fans are getting younger, the Habs org is trying to target them, yet most of the time you had to listen to Villeneuve, Bergeron, Rejean Tremblay and Ron Fournier discussing about the good old times of the Nordiques...."And who the hell is this Viggo Mortensen ?" " Some actor I heard"

It's not the concept of a full sports french speaking radio station that was not viable. It was the way they did it at CKAC.

At least Pat Burns did not have to witness it.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote