HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

Inaugural World Junior Club Cup

Old
06-19-2011, 12:19 AM
AUShockeyfan

vCash: 500
Inaugural World Junior Club Cup

Just wondering if any Jr. A fans have heard of this event, as today was the first day I have heard of it. The Fort MacMurray Oil Barons have the honour of representing our Country at this inaugural event. Has this tournament been in the works for some time?

This is from the Oil Barons website...
http://www.oilbarons.com/news/default.aspx?id=1147

I think it's great for the MOB (as they're known) to be reping our Country, and this should prove to be a great experience for players and coaches alike.

AUShockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2011, 11:03 AM
everett331

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUShockeyfan View Post
Just wondering if any Jr. A fans have heard of this event, as today was the first day I have heard of it. The Fort MacMurray Oil Barons have the honour of representing our Country at this inaugural event. Has this tournament been in the works for some time?

This is from the Oil Barons website...
http://www.oilbarons.com/news/default.aspx?id=1147

I think it's great for the MOB (as they're known) to be reping our Country, and this should prove to be a great experience for players and coaches alike.
This is the first I've heard of this as well. Curious to know how they selected the team. Wondering if it's a submission thing as it would seem to cause some issues with training camps and the start of the opening season as you would have to start a little earlier in order to have your team ready to go for such a tournament. Well I hope they do well and represent us Canadians well, good luck.

everett331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 05:36 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

participants

Russia (MHL) – Red Army CSKA (MHL champion 10/11)
Czech – Energia Karlovy Vary (finalist Noen ELJ 10/11)
Sweden – Malmő (play-off J20 SuperElit 10/11)
Canada – Fort McMurray Oil Barons (play-off AJHL 10/11)
USA – EJHL All Stars (Eastern Junior Hockey League)
Latvia – HK Riga (play-off MHL 10/11)
Belarus – Dinamo-Shinnik (MHL 10/11)
Slovakia – Tatranskí Vlci (newcomer MHL)

more here and here

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:20 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

trophy, made in Italy.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
IJKPrinciple

I've already posted it in the Intl. tournaments section but if you're interested:

I've created a wiki page for the tournament:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Junior_Club_Cup

You can add info, fix errors etc.

IJKPrinciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 10:37 PM
AUShockeyfan

This is an email I rec'd from Kirk Lamb, Chairman/President of the CJHL re/ the selection process and concerning who would respresent Canada....

"Thank you for your email and thank you for your patronage of the CJHL and the MHL. The Ft. McMurray Oil Barons were chosen by Hockey Canada and the CJHL. As you may be aware, this is the inaugural World Cup and given the timing of the invite and the event, a formal selection process was not possible. Should the World Cup become an recurring event (which I believe is the expectation of the IIHF), Hockey Canada and the CJHL will work to formalize a selection process...."

So, there you go...

Old
07-12-2011, 08:37 PM
everett331

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUShockeyfan View Post
This is an email I rec'd from Kirk Lamb, Chairman/President of the CJHL re/ the selection process and concerning who would respresent Canada....

"Thank you for your email and thank you for your patronage of the CJHL and the MHL. The Ft. McMurray Oil Barons were chosen by Hockey Canada and the CJHL. As you may be aware, this is the inaugural World Cup and given the timing of the invite and the event, a formal selection process was not possible. Should the World Cup become an recurring event (which I believe is the expectation of the IIHF), Hockey Canada and the CJHL will work to formalize a selection process...."

So, there you go...
Thank-you for finding that answer, very much appreciated

everett331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
participants

Russia (MHL) – Red Army CSKA (MHL champion 10/11)
Czech – Energia Karlovy Vary (finalist Noen ELJ 10/11)
Sweden – Malmő (play-off J20 SuperElit 10/11)
Canada – Fort McMurray Oil Barons (play-off AJHL 10/11)
USA – EJHL All Stars (Eastern Junior Hockey League)
Latvia – HK Riga (play-off MHL 10/11)
Belarus – Dinamo-Shinnik (MHL 10/11)
Slovakia – Tatranskí Vlci (newcomer MHL)

more here and here
doesn't that mean (if this becomes an annual event), that Riga and Dinamo-Shinnik will always be in the event, considering they are the only Latvian/Belarussian teams in the MHL?

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 08:56 PM
BLBarmada

This is a joke, the Saint John Seadogs and the Dubuque Fighting saints should be there, I can see why the seadogs wouldn't be aloud ( foreign players) but the Fighting saints should be allowed and the Vernon Vipers should be there.

Is TSN broadcasting this ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
This is a joke, the Saint John Seadogs and the Dubuque Fighting saints should be there, I can see why the seadogs wouldn't be aloud ( foreign players) but the Fighting saints should be allowed and the Vernon Vipers should be there.

Actually, Saint John isn't there because the CHL is not governed by Hockey Canada. Since Hockey Canada was selecting a team obviously they would send a team from their top level league, the CJHL. How they arrived at Fort Mac is another story.

I'm guessing that USA Hockey put feelers out to their junior leagues and the only interest they had was from the EJHL. I'm guessing since the EJHL is Tier III, they will likely get killed by the European teams.

I hope this is televised by someone. I'm not sure that this is an official IIHF event, so I doubt whether TSN is being forced to show it like other Hockey Canada events. I know that the only reason they show any other Hockey Canada events, aside from the World Juniors and World Championships, is that Hockey Canada forced them to do so if they wanted the rights.

I could see Sportsnet showing this had they not fired the voice of the CHL, Peter Loubardias. But since they haven't named a replacement for him, I don't see this being shown either. At any rate, for a tournament like this, I don't see any channel sending crews over for it. So unless this is shown in Europe on a network, it won't be carried in Canada. The best we could hope for is that it is shown in Europe and is called from a studio in Toronto.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 11:37 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
Actually, Saint John isn't there because the CHL is not governed by Hockey Canada. Since Hockey Canada was selecting a team obviously they would send a team from their top level league, the CJHL. How they arrived at Fort Mac is another story.

I'm guessing that USA Hockey put
feelers out to their junior leagues and the only interest they had was from the EJHL. I'm guessing since the EJHL is Tier III, they will likely get killed by the European teams.

I hope this is televised by someone. I'm not sure that this is an official IIHF event, so I doubt whether TSN is being forced to
show it like other Hockey Canada events. I know that the only reason they show any other Hockey Canada events, aside from the World Juniors and World
Championships, is that Hockey Canada forced them to do so if they wanted the rights.

I could see Sportsnet showing this
had they not fired the voice of the CHL, Peter Loubardias. But since they haven't named a replacement for him, I don't see this being shown either. At any rate, for a
tournament like this, I don't see any channel sending crews over for it. So unless this is shown in Europe on a network, it won't be carried in Canada. The best we
could hope for is that it is shown in Europe and is called from a studio in Toronto.
The CHL should of let the Seadogs play, and USA hockey could of sent a better team.

I would like to the tournament though.

Old
08-21-2011, 12:00 AM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post

??????
How and why?
Totally different level, league etc.

leoleo3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2011, 12:37 AM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
??????
How and why?
Totally different level, league etc.
It's Junior they should be there.

Old
08-26-2011, 11:54 AM
AUShockeyfan

Fort Mac win their 1st game 4-2 over Moscow. The play-by-play guy stated even though the team has been in Russia for a few days, their equipment and other items are still with customs. Can anyone shed any light on this - seems a little weird. PBP guy says "it's a conspiracy"

live feed via USTREAM - audio only....

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/mob-hockey

Last edited by AUShockeyfan: 08-26-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added link
Old
08-27-2011, 10:56 AM
IJKPrinciple

Oil Barons played Red Army, the reigning Minor Hockey League champions, today.
End result:
Red Army: 7
Oil Barons: 0

Old
08-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Fulcrum

It's really disappointing that Saint John seadog weren't selected. Efimov, president of MH,L has been trying really hard to get the best teams to come.

One thing is for sure, this is no Junior A level tournament either, just because Oil Barons are there.

Red Army could easily be competitive with any CHL teams, especially if they were at their best roster.

Hopefully in the future. TSN should cover it for Canada. There is enough interest in Russia with 9100 fans for the first game (Red Army - Vlci)

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
It's really disappointing that Saint John seadog weren't selected. Efimov, president of MH,L has been trying really hard to get the best teams to come.

One thing is for sure, this is no Junior A level tournament either, just because Oil Barons are there.

Red Army could easily be competitive with any CHL teams, especially if they were at their best roster.

Hopefully in the future. TSN should cover it for Canada. There is enough interest in Russia with 9100 fans for the first game (Red Army - Vlci)
I'm thinking TSN won't carry it unless Hockey Canada forces them to or it grows to be a tournament that the media is interested in.

TSN really is only interested in the World Juniors and the Worlds. However, Hockey Canada forced them to take on a few minor international tournaments and the Telus and Royal Bank Cups in order to get the rights to the Juniors and Seniors. I'm sure if TSN had their way, they'd drop all their international and youth coverage and stick with only the Juniors and Seniors.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 05:33 PM
IJKPrinciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post
doesn't that mean (if this becomes an annual event), that Riga and Dinamo-Shinnik will always be in the event, considering they are the only Latvian/Belarussian teams in the MHL?
Actually, not quite. You have two Belarusian clubs in the MHL at the moment - Dinamo-Shinnik and Yunost. And 3 Latvian, since the newly formed MHL-B will have HK Riga's B team of sorts, the Riga Juniors, and Prizma Riga. And there's the relegation-promotion system in place with the MHL and MHL-B.

I do believe however that the participant for these 2 countries should be decided by some sort of tournament where Yunost and Dinamo-Shinnik and HK Riga, Prizma and Juniors should play against the remaining Belarusian/Latvian junior teams from the Latvian/Belarusian junior leagues (if there are any).