HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Has Ovechkin picked a company yet?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-01-2011, 05:47 PM
  #1
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
Has Ovechkin picked a company yet?

I heard earlier today he was suppose to make an annocement about his sticks today. Haven't heard anything so far. I'm guessing he go's with Bauer but you never know!

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2011, 10:28 PM
  #2
SuperBlade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
He picked Nike for his workout gear. Dunno about equipment yet?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...qZvJ_blog.html

SuperBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 12:55 PM
  #3
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBlade View Post
He picked Nike for his workout gear. Dunno about equipment yet?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...qZvJ_blog.html
Rumour has it that he was quite frustrated with CCM's sticks last season, and would spraypaint the logos off of sticks from competing brands so he could play with them from time to time.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see Ovechkin forego a sponsorship deal with an equipment manufacturer so as to have the freedom/flexibility to use whatever equipment he wants.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 09:25 PM
  #4
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,781
vCash: 500
Wait a few days...he'll probably announce a Bauer deal. Warrior would fit his personality though, would be cool.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:07 PM
  #5
Bryan23
Registered User
 
Bryan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Millville, NJ
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Wait a few days...he'll probably announce a Bauer deal. Warrior would fit his personality though, would be cool.
I was thinking that he would go with either Bauer or Warrior.

Bryan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:11 PM
  #6
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,306
vCash: 500
Officially no, but almost certainly Bauer. I'd be willing to bet plenty of money on that.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2011, 11:18 PM
  #7
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,781
vCash: 500
Apparently he's been skating in literally ALL Bauer gear. All but a done deal.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 12:55 PM
  #8
Badger36
Registered User
 
Badger36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,296
vCash: 500

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:27 PM
  #9
Subnordi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
I'd say Bauer, a few seasons ago wasn't he using Semin's Bauer's in the playoffs?

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 03:24 PM
  #10
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
Yellow laces... definitely foreshadowing Ovechkin.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:24 PM
  #11
Subnordi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
Caps will have a Bauer line!

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Semin

I don't blame Ovechkin though, I hate CCM sticks too.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 09:18 PM
  #12
digitaljohn
Arnold Palmer LITE
 
digitaljohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 405
vCash: 500
I'm sure Bauer shipped OV a very, very fat sack of cash to get him away from Reebok/CCM.

digitaljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 06:57 AM
  #13
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Who cares?

They will endorse whoever pays them the most. Why feed into it like a sheep.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:36 AM
  #14
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,781
vCash: 500
Ovi might actually get paid (one of the few in the league) but most guys barely make any money off endorsements. And considering he's making 8m per year I doubt a few hundred thousand will sway him more than a good product. It's more important to feel good and score goals on the ice than to get an additional couple percent of your income.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 09:45 AM
  #15
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ovi might actually get paid (one of the few in the league) but most guys barely make any money off endorsements. And considering he's making 8m per year I doubt a few hundred thousand will sway him more than a good product. It's more important to feel good and score goals on the ice than to get an additional couple percent of your income.
I could write a book, but I'll just agree to disagree.

Ever take a Marketing class? It's amazing when you see how irrational and emotional almost every consumer purchase is. Also most star athletes make a lot more in endorsement contracts than in compensation from playing their sport. Without seeing Ovechkin's tax returns you really can't say he doesn't as well.

Pro's wear all different brands of equipment. Wear whats in your price range, offers the protection you need, and fits your body. What Ovechkin wears is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to making a decision about equipment. He wore CCM's before that so I guess they were better, but now Bauers are better. $$ talks and always will.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 10:36 AM
  #16
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I could write a book, but I'll just agree to disagree.

Ever take a Marketing class? It's amazing when you see how irrational and emotional almost every consumer purchase is. Also most star athletes make a lot more in endorsement contracts than in compensation from playing their sport. Without seeing Ovechkin's tax returns you really can't say he doesn't as well.

Pro's wear all different brands of equipment. Wear whats in your price range, offers the protection you need, and fits your body. What Ovechkin wears is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to making a decision about equipment. He wore CCM's before that so I guess they were better, but now Bauers are better. $$ talks and always will.
Except all indications are that he was not given better money by Bauer and swayed to come over and use their gear but that he grew unhappy with CCM's product, announced he would no longer be using it, and spent the last couple of months trying gear out to determine what he felt the best in. I actually doubt Bauer offered him more money than CCM was giving him, as Bauer has Lundqvist, the Staals, Stamkos, Kane, Toews, Kesler all as "official" Bauer athletes that they feature in their advertisements and website while CCM has a lot less star power on their side and was featuring only Ovie in virtually all of their commercials and ads.

How many "nobody ever got better at hockey by__________" commercials did we see? I don't really care if I'm wrong because it doesn't matter to me why Ovie chose Bauer, but it seems like he simply decided CCM wasn't making him happy anymore (specifically the sticks) and he then tried out lots of gear before deciding on a new sponsor.

I'm pretty sure when you're name is Alex Ovechkin, and you're in the market for a new gear endorsement, every manufacturer out there is lining up to meet/exceed your demands and you can get a pretty sweet deal to wear what you WANT to wear and not whoever paid you slightly more. I mean, if you're a company like Easton and you REALLY want to land Ovechkin and he doesn't care what gear he wears and just wants the best $$, and Ovie turns around and says "sorry Easton, but Bauer is giving me $XX6,XXX per year" and you want to compete with the kind of lineup of sponsored athletes that Bauer already has (and let's face it, having Ovie wear your gear is virtually guaranteed to generate sales), you probably pony up and offer $XX7,XXX. I doubt Bauer, who already pays some of the top athletes in the game, is offering Ovechkin an un-matchable increase over every other manufacturer.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 01:52 PM
  #17
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,781
vCash: 500
I'm not saying guys will or won't use equipment because Ovi does; I'm saying endorsements won't pay him anywhere near what it's worth to use equipment he won't like. He's going to Bauer because he likes the gear. Money is secondary. He used Bauer three years ago even though he was the face of CCM. They didn't like it. He's struggled the last couple years, relatively speaking. That's why he's going back to Bauer.

Most NHL'ers who "endorse" gear get at most in the six figures. Their salaries are 10x that. Crosby and Ovechkin are probably the only NHL'ers to get over a million over 3-5 years to use certain gear, but they're making over 8 million a year. I guarantee if Ovi finds a stick that he loves and scores more goals with (mostly psychological) he will break contract again and use it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 02:18 PM
  #18
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prustqvist24 View Post
Except all indications are that he was not given better money by Bauer and swayed to come over and use their gear but that he grew unhappy with CCM's product, announced he would no longer be using it, and spent the last couple of months trying gear out to determine what he felt the best in. I actually doubt Bauer offered him more money than CCM was giving him, as Bauer has Lundqvist, the Staals, Stamkos, Kane, Toews, Kesler all as "official" Bauer athletes that they feature in their advertisements and website while CCM has a lot less star power on their side and was featuring only Ovie in virtually all of their commercials and ads.

How many "nobody ever got better at hockey by__________" commercials did we see? I don't really care if I'm wrong because it doesn't matter to me why Ovie chose Bauer, but it seems like he simply decided CCM wasn't making him happy anymore (specifically the sticks) and he then tried out lots of gear before deciding on a new sponsor.

I'm pretty sure when you're name is Alex Ovechkin, and you're in the market for a new gear endorsement, every manufacturer out there is lining up to meet/exceed your demands and you can get a pretty sweet deal to wear what you WANT to wear and not whoever paid you slightly more. I mean, if you're a company like Easton and you REALLY want to land Ovechkin and he doesn't care what gear he wears and just wants the best $$, and Ovie turns around and says "sorry Easton, but Bauer is giving me $XX6,XXX per year" and you want to compete with the kind of lineup of sponsored athletes that Bauer already has (and let's face it, having Ovie wear your gear is virtually guaranteed to generate sales), you probably pony up and offer $XX7,XXX. I doubt Bauer, who already pays some of the top athletes in the game, is offering Ovechkin an un-matchable increase over every other manufacturer.
I didn't read your whole post. Bottom line: It doesn't matter what anybody else wears. You don't get any added benefit because a star player wears it. Those are emotional reasons to buy products. His gear is likely custom anyway. His ability, height, weight, strength, flexibility, etc. are all different than mine or yours. What Ovechkin chooses to use is irrelevant when you really look at it objectively.

Tangible, logical, objective reasons are the proper way to determine the right gear for you. Price, fit, protection, weight, materials used, durability, prior experience, feedback on various sites, technology in the product, etc. etc. If the star player is wearing a brand because it actually id better than you'll be able to prove it's better by the things I listed in this paragraph.

I don't wear Graf G35's because Joe Pavelski does. I wear them because they fit my feet, budget, and almost my skating ability

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 02:26 PM
  #19
Guffaw
Registered User
 
Guffaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Drexel Hill PA
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm not saying guys will or won't use equipment because Ovi does; I'm saying endorsements won't pay him anywhere near what it's worth to use equipment he won't like. He's going to Bauer because he likes the gear. Money is secondary. He used Bauer three years ago even though he was the face of CCM. They didn't like it. He's struggled the last couple years, relatively speaking. That's why he's going back to Bauer.

Most NHL'ers who "endorse" gear get at most in the six figures. Their salaries are 10x that. Crosby and Ovechkin are probably the only NHL'ers to get over a million over 3-5 years to use certain gear, but they're making over 8 million a year. I guarantee if Ovi finds a stick that he loves and scores more goals with (mostly psychological) he will break contract again and use it.
Again without adding up all the contracts you can't say anything for certain.

It's not even my main point. They are great players, but who cares what they use. That's not why they're great. Your skill level, height, weight, foot shape, budget etc, etc, has nothing to do with theirs.

This is no different than drinking a Coke or Pepsi because Michael Jackson does etc. etc.

Not trying to argue though. This stuff is all in Marketing 325. Of course it's going to disagreed with in a hockey forum.

Crosby/Ovechkin will make you and me look foolish in a pair of $50 Bauer turbos from 1987 bought off ebay. If he endorsed them people would buy them. The skates are junk. See my point?

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:40 PM
  #20
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Ovechkin was reportedly unhappy with CCM sticks and started using others.



If you zoom in close enough, you'll see that this is a Bauer One95 with the Bauer name/logo covered up:


noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:44 PM
  #21
goonx
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Again without adding up all the contracts you can't say anything for certain.

It's not even my main point. They are great players, but who cares what they use. That's not why they're great. Your skill level, height, weight, foot shape, budget etc, etc, has nothing to do with theirs.

This is no different than drinking a Coke or Pepsi because Michael Jackson does etc. etc.

Not trying to argue though. This stuff is all in Marketing 325. Of course it's going to disagreed with in a hockey forum.

Crosby/Ovechkin will make you and me look foolish in a pair of $50 Bauer turbos from 1987 bought off ebay. If he endorsed them people would buy them. The skates are junk. See my point?
Agreed. It's ALL about marketing. The big name companies are paying the stars $3-4 million a year to use their gear because they generate more than $3-4 million dollars of sales from us, the consumers.

From the companies' standpoint, signing a superstar like Ovie will be like striking gold. It's all about increasing their market share from sales.

For most people out there, they will make their purchase because a certain "superstar" wears that brand. It's a psychological effect to think that a certain product is superior than the other because the "pros" use it.

In reality, the gear used by the pros are of totally different quality compared to the consumer products. I.E. pro-stock. The gear used by the pros are completely custom made whereas the consumer level products are mass-produced. We won't get the extra-edge the pros are getting in their equipment in ours. The product could be still better but the margin isn't as big as the companies are making it seem.

Another good example of this are "disguised" sticks. Pros may use older model sticks and even think they may be superior to the new models but are forced to disguise their sticks due to marketing. For the million of hockey viewers out there, newer is better so they will go out and buy the newer version for $50-$100 more because they saw the pros use it.

Ovie will choose the best "equipment" that suits his game, but don't be native in thinking that half the reason wasn't due to endorsement from the company


Last edited by goonx: 09-04-2011 at 04:59 PM.
goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 04:56 PM
  #22
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I didn't read your whole post. Bottom line: It doesn't matter what anybody else wears. You don't get any added benefit because a star player wears it. Those are emotional reasons to buy products. His gear is likely custom anyway. His ability, height, weight, strength, flexibility, etc. are all different than mine or yours. What Ovechkin chooses to use is irrelevant when you really look at it objectively.

Tangible, logical, objective reasons are the proper way to determine the right gear for you. Price, fit, protection, weight, materials used, durability, prior experience, feedback on various sites, technology in the product, etc. etc. If the star player is wearing a brand because it actually id better than you'll be able to prove it's better by the things I listed in this paragraph.

I don't wear Graf G35's because Joe Pavelski does. I wear them because they fit my feet, budget, and almost my skating ability
Wtf are you telling me this for? When you say you didn't read ALL of my post you actually mean you didn't read ANY, right? Because I suggest you do go back and read it so you can understand how your response to my post doesn't touch on a single word that I said. I didn't write a WORD about buying gear because an NHLer wears the brand, I wrote about why OVIE chose the gear he did.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2011, 07:01 PM
  #23
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,364
vCash: 500
Bout times, hopefully they get a wicked toe curve available on their replacement blades.

Also, people will always be concerned about what the pros/famous people use. Simple fact of life.

Does your wife/gf think she will look like Demi Moore if she buys the shoes/dress/whatever she wears? No, but will she enjoy using them and will it potentially help her looks? Ya, probably will.

People who go around pointing out that if you buy an item it wont make you as good as so and so....DURRRRRRRRRR. I can't personally think of a person that has everrrrr claimed that.

Really isn't a point in debating it. Gear won't make a player perform better, but it can help, end of story.


edit - Also Bauer > CCM

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 06:27 AM
  #24
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator
 
SensAreReligion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,991
vCash: 500
Bauer i hope

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2011, 11:48 AM
  #25
SuperBlade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
I believe the biggest hockey gear market is 18 and under. I'll try to find the link for those stats.

When I was kid, I got a Northland hockey stick because I saw pics of Bobby Orr using them. I bought a Titan woodie then an Easton aluminum because Wayne Gretzky was using them. Well, you get the point.


Last edited by SuperBlade: 09-05-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spelling
SuperBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.