HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andy McDonald to Chicago?

Old
09-03-2011, 06:43 AM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I believe there are 2 ways to be one of the top teams in the league/conference. You can either have elite top end talent or quality depth in your top 9.

Our offense finished in the top 10 last season, so with a full year of Stewart and if Berglund builds on what he did at the Worlds, there will be an upgrade there. Arnott and Langenbrunner are nearing the end, but they will be upgrades to what was there last season. Offensively we can compete with the top teams.

Halak will only get better after his first full season as a starter. I am not saying that he will be an All Star, but he will be better.

If this team is healthy they can compete with anyone.
1) No team is healthy. Every teams get injuries and the Blues weren't hit drastically more than anyone else. There's also no way to know if this year they'll have more, less or the same amount of injuries. Playing the injury excuse game is a useless exercise as EVERY team can use it as the reason why they failed to achieve.

2) You can't say Halak WILL be better or that Langenbrunner and Arnott will be upgrades. You might think they will be, but as old players nearing the end of the line there's a good chance they will be injured or less effective than you think.

The Blues may indeed be improved, but you can say that about a lot of the bottom teams. Minny may be improved. Edmonton may be improved. Columbus may be improved.

As it stands now I'd say there's 6 pretty strong teams in the West and another 6 who all will be fighting for the last 2 playoff spots. That's where STL is right now.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:47 AM
iceless
-`ღ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Considering McDonald plays left wing for us, it really doesn't matter if Backes and Berglund are centers. And since Perron is still recovering, McDonald is even less likely to be traded.
I find it odd that the Blues would move McDonald to LW, considering he's much better at taking draws than Backes.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
1) No team is healthy. Every teams get injuries and the Blues weren't hit drastically more than anyone else. There's also no way to know if this year they'll have more, less or the same amount of injuries. Playing the injury excuse game is a useless exercise as EVERY team can use it as the reason why they failed to achieve.

2) You can't say Halak WILL be better or that Langenbrunner and Arnott will be upgrades. You might think they will be, but as old players nearing the end of the line there's a good chance they will be injured or less effective than you think.

The Blues may indeed be improved, but you can say that about a lot of the bottom teams. Minny may be improved. Edmonton may be improved. Columbus may be improved.

As it stands now I'd say there's 6 pretty strong teams in the West and another 6 who all will be fighting for the last 2 playoff spots. That's where STL is right now.
The Blues were 9th in the league in man-games lost, of course this does not account for how important which player was out. Most of our injuries were to top 6 forwards and top 4 d-men. When your losing guys like Oshie, Mcdonald, Perron, Boyes, Polak, Jackman, Cola, Halak (just off the top of my head) and filling in with inexperienced AHL talent your not going to win many games. This yr we have better depth to prevent that but any team missing that many key guys for long periods of time will doom most teams to an early season.

We will just have to wait and see who is the stronger teams in the west, I think it will be much like last yr with most of the teams being a few points away from each other till the final stretch which will be fun to watch.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 09:24 AM
iceless
-`ღ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
The Blues were 9th in the league in man-games lost, of course this does not account for how important which player was out. Most of our injuries were to top 6 forwards and top 4 d-men. When your losing guys like Oshie, Mcdonald, Perron, Boyes, Polak, Jackman, Cola, Halak (just off the top of my head) and filling in with inexperienced AHL talent your not going to win many games. This yr we have better depth to prevent that but any team missing that many key guys for long periods of time will doom most teams to an early season.

We will just have to wait and see who is the stronger teams in the west, I think it will be much like last yr with most of the teams being a few points away from each other till the final stretch which will be fun to watch.
It's going to be a real battle in the Central division this year. Nashville, Detroit, and Chicago are always strong, and Columbus finally looks like an 8th-9th seeded team. If Halak can stay healthy, I think the Blues, like you say, will be right in the mix towards the end.

Old
09-03-2011, 10:18 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
I find it odd that the Blues would move McDonald to LW, considering he's much better at taking draws than Backes.
Backes is much better in his own end than McDonald, which I'm guessing has something to do with him moving to LW. Not to mention how frequently centers get kicked out of the circle, thus necessitating a 2nd decent faceoff guy on most of your lines if possible.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:53 PM
dkdex

gimme some of what your smoking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Blues will finisn higher in the standings than the Hawks will...no way will STL trade their top-line winger to a division rival.

What would CHI want for Hjalmarsson if/when they fall out of the PO race?

dkdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Backes is much better in his own end than McDonald, which I'm guessing has something to do with him moving to LW. Not to mention how frequently centers get kicked out of the circle, thus necessitating a 2nd decent faceoff guy on most of your lines if possible.
I think that has some to do with it, but I think the biggest reason is the his size. I think the Blues will have Backes, Berglund, and Arnott as their top three centers next yr. Those three can cause a decent amount of trouble in front of the offensive net and hold their own in their defensive end. Will be interesting to see how Berglund starts out considering he finished strong last yr, and if Arnott has anything left.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 07:04 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
I think that has some to do with it, but I think the biggest reason is the his size. I think the Blues will have Backes, Berglund, and Arnott as their top three centers next yr. Those three can cause a decent amount of trouble in front of the offensive net and hold their own in their defensive end. Will be interesting to see how Berglund starts out considering he finished strong last yr, and if Arnott has anything left.
That doesn't have to be a center though...

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 08:31 PM
iceless
-`ღ-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
That doesn't have to be a center though...
I think he understands that... but having big, imposing centres can definitely give your team an edge, especially if running a 3-2 forecheck.